PDA

View Full Version : Random Observations from this Past Holiday Weekend...

Hangar18
07-07-2003, 08:44 AM
Since I had the long holiday weekend, I decided to tip back
a few drinks at some of the watering holes in the city. Some of
my buds wanted to hit the bars in the Wicker Pk area, so off
we went. One thing I immediately wanted to report on was
the number of Sox Fans I ran into this weekend. Every Single
Bar I went to Thurs and Friday, there were Sox Fans, wearing
the hat, the shirt, something/anything that said sox. Of course
I had sox tshirts on all weekend, and there is a BUzz among us
for sure, and it was exciting, if not strange, to be talking sox baseball with my fellow brothers in bars I normally wouldnt find
sox fans at. Estelles is not a sports type bar, but was funny
to run into at least 5 different guys who were excited about the
sox. Even saw Salty Pretzel there. Folks, we are definitely
excited, and everyones happy about the Trades and the fact that were TRYING TO WIN IT ALL, instead of Rebuilding.

I-55_Series
07-07-2003, 12:22 PM
It's not uncommon to see the Wicker Park hipster set in Sox gear, partly b/c the SouthSide vibe suits the retro/80's and working-class aesthetic that they sometimes go for (i.e. the Sox cap sometimes stands in for the John Deere mesh cap). Also those folks tend to be anti-corporate, anti-Wrigleyville, anti-etc. Some of them are casual fans, but I'm pleased to report that some are very passionate about baseball and follow the Sox very closely.

I, myself, recently acquired a "winning ugly" t-shirt at a SouthSide Unique thrift store--and although it amounts to a betrayal of my Cardinal fandom of that era, I wear it with pride all up and down Damen Ave.

Al
Pilsen/Hyde Park

:bandance:

FJA
07-07-2003, 12:35 PM
To add to the discussion, I went to the Taste yesterday, and I saw a ton of Sox shirts, hats, etc ... even Sox blankets out on the lawn to see Elvis Costello. And I'm not just talking about the retro look. WAY more Sox representation than Cubs, IMO.

JRIG
07-07-2003, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by FJA
To add to the discussion, I went to the Taste yesterday, and I saw a ton of Sox shirts, hats, etc ... even Sox blankets out on the lawn to see Elvis Costello. And I'm not just talking about the retro look. WAY more Sox representation than Cubs, IMO.

I was wearing my White Sox rain poncho during the downpour just before Elvis yesterday. Just thought I'd share with the class.

Eddie Gaedel
07-07-2003, 01:23 PM
A lot of SOX fans have been coming out of the woodwork lately and/or jumping on the bandwagon. Just the other day, my brother-in-law and my girlfreind's brother, both diehard cub fans, were thinking of joining our ranks. They were envious because SOX mgt. made some moves. Looks like we have a few converts. :D:

mike squires
07-07-2003, 02:19 PM
I visited the field museum last Monday before the Pads game. I too saw many Whitesox hats and jerzeys. I don't recall seeing one scrub hat.

location continues to haunt this team. I guarantee if we were on the lake we would be pulling 30 to 40 as well.