PDA

View Full Version : cubs stealing our all-star game?

jeremyb1
07-07-2003, 01:51 AM
watching the all-star selection show tonight i became frustrated that the baseball tonight crew seemed to be giving both chicago baseball teams ownership of the all-star game. the analysts seemed to include angles on the cubs and sammy just as much as the sox and frank. there was a lot of talk about chicago fans while i never heard "white sox" or "us cellular" specifically associated with the all-star game. at one point one of the anlysts talked about how the all-star game was coming when both chicago baseball teams were having some success. somehow i doubt anyone would be mentioning the sox in conjunction with the all-star game were it to take place at wrigley.

WhiteSox = Life
07-07-2003, 02:11 AM
I seriously doubt if the All-Star Game were to be held at Yankee Stadium, that it would be seen as a Mets and Yankees All-Star Game like this one comparably is a Cubs and White Sox All-Star Game.

Seriously though, the White Sox have been given less time than the Cubs! Most of it's on Sham-Me* not being in and very little was on Thomas, except for Reynolds, who was the only one smart enough to think Thomas was snubbed... Of course, he also thought the Human Zinger himself was snubbed, so I take that with a grain of salt and you, the reader, should take it for what it's worth, if anything.

You would imagine that most of the talk would be about the White Sox when regarding the All-Star Game but it's nearly opposite that.

Another thing is how more attention was given to Kerry "Dusty's Boy" Wood and Mark "Jesus" Prior, and their first All-Star Game appearances, when Esteban Loaiza, maybe the story of the year, gets a comment like, "Well, it's Chicago and he should probably start in his home field," and that's it!

This is shaping up to be a rather stupid All-Star Game. The voting, in several cases, is horrendous, the coverage has been terrible, Sham-Me*'s not in it, and not to mention, every team has a representative, which can be argued is a good thing, but not so much with the whole "This Time It Counts!" jazz. If MLB wanted to be more contradictory, they couldn't.

And, to close, how's this for a kicker:

The Baseball Tonight crew is starting off the All-Star break on Sunday with their show in Chicago. Where's it being held at? Well, where the game of the week is - Wrigley Field.

Of course, it's not like those involved with Major League Baseball are rocket scientists or brain surgeons anyway, so what do you expect; equal opportunity coverage for all teams and the team hosting the All-Star Game getting talked about more, at least the stuff regarding the All-Star Game, when the All-Star break approaches?

:tool
"Why... That-that would be almost... Rational!"

:cool:

AngelLeroy
07-07-2003, 02:22 AM
Y'know, I agree that this has become a Cubs town, and that it SUCKS. It's sad that it happened, but we have to accept it. Talking about how unfair it is that the Cubs get all the attention doesn't really do anything, no matter how much fun it is to bash that pathetic organization. We need to focus on the Sox, because the more we talk about the Cubs, the worse we make it for our team. As the old saying goes, "there's no such thing as bad publicity."

That being said, we also need to realize that the national (and the majority of the local) sports media is a bunch of sensationalist lickspittles pandering to what they think people want. I'd bet that the majority of them know more about marketing their "product" than they do about the sport they cover. Either listen to what they say, laugh your arse off, and continue on your merry way, or do what I do and don't even bother watching ESPN or FSN or whatever.

MarqSox
07-07-2003, 06:56 AM
I think the issue here is that the national media simply doesn't comprehend the fact that Cubs and Sox fans don't get along like Yankees-Mets fans or Dodgers-Angels fans or Giants-A's fans. I had a roommate once who grew up in NY as a diehard Mets fan, and he said NY fans routinely root for the other team if their team is out of contention. I've heard similar things about the other "bitter rivalries." Chicago just isn't that way, and I don't think people outside Chicago realize that you can't group the Cubs and the Sox together like that.

jortafan
07-07-2003, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by MarqSox
I had a roommate once who grew up in NY as a diehard Mets fan, and he said NY fans routinely root for the other team if their team is out of contention.

I have to wonder if your roommate was pulling your leg. Yankees fans I have known would refuse to root for the Mets. I remember being in college during the 1986 World Series when Yankees fans I knew eagerly rooted for the Red Sox, because the thought of putting up with gloating Mets fans was too much for them.

But you are right when saying that most of the country doesn't comprehend the concept of picking sides.

Hangar18
07-07-2003, 07:44 AM
I noticed this too, and thats the problem when you let a Cub
manage the allstar team, EVEN THOUGH THE CUBS WERENT IN THE WORLD SERIES LAST YEAR.

xil357
07-07-2003, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by AngelLeroy
Y'know, I agree that this has become a Cubs town, and that it SUCKS. It's sad that it happened, but we have to accept it. Talking about how unfair it is that the Cubs get all the attention doesn't really do anything, no matter how much fun it is to bash that pathetic organization. We need to focus on the Sox, because the more we talk about the Cubs, the worse we make it for our team. As the old saying goes, "there's no such thing as bad publicity."

That being said, we also need to realize that the national (and the majority of the local) sports media is a bunch of sensationalist lickspittles pandering to what they think people want. I'd bet that the majority of them know more about marketing their "product" than they do about the sport they cover. Either listen to what they say, laugh your arse off, and continue on your merry way, or do what I do and don't even bother watching ESPN or FSN or whatever.

Living in Dallas, you would think that there are two MLB teams in the Dallas-Fort Worth area. The first one is the Rangers and the second one seems to be the Cubs, based on the amount of coverage they seem to get, even of routine games, in the DFW media!

Even more offensive to me, that past Saturday, one local TV sports segment on the news showed both highlights of the Yankees - Red Sox game and then of the Cubs - Cardinals game. THEY DIDN'T EVEN SHOW RANGERS HIGHLIGHTS (or lowlights)!!!!!

It seems that even the local media -- with four big market pro teams, one in each league, with big-spending owners who either have a history of winning and drawing in the past (Rangers--three division titles in the late 90s, and Cowboys--five Super Bowl wins) or are winning currently (Mavs reached the playoffs each of the past two years, Stars won the Cup in 99 and are perennial Cup contenders every year), and one of whom just lost one of their biggest stars to a major rival (Stars lost Hatcher to Detroit), another of whom is going to sign a free agent to improve their chances (Mavs pursuing either Alonzo Mourning or Karl Malone), and have a "favorite son" seeking his fifth consecutive Tour de France win, can't get over it's collective circle-jerk love fest with the Cubs! :angry:

The Cubs have been on the front sports page of The Dallas Morning News at least 10 times so far this season, from being "preseason favorites to win it all," to a feature story on Kerry Wood, to Sammy getting hit in the helmet, to Cork-gate, to a column on the Cubs pitching staff, to Dusty Baker's big mouth, to a story about Sammy Sosa being "snubbed" from the All Star Game. Honestly, I'm not sure if Morning News sports columnists have written more about the Cubs than they have written about the Rangers this year. :angry:

This is utterly preposterous. While I can understand -- and even agree with -- the argument that says "If the Sox ownership would just field a winning team that routinely made the playoffs, the media coverage of the Sox would improve," when it comes to Chicago media, this argument is utterly ridiculous when it comes to media in markets outside of Chicago.

I don't want to hear any BS about the White Flag trade or probing DFW reporters being mistreated by Sox management. I could understand this argument if there were lots of Dallas reporters who previously spent time in Chiacgo. But the last time I checked, reporters tend to come FROM Dallas TO Chicago, because Chicago is the bigger market (Phil Rogers, Skip Bayless) and is #3 nationally (DFW is something like 5th or 6th). Other than anecdotally, Dallas reporters don't have any reason to have an axe to grind with Sox management. (The only incident I can think of would be Ventura's brawl with Nolan Ryan, but when that incident is brought up it usually is in a tone of "how tough Nolan Ryan is" and has an anti-Ventura slant, not an anti-Sox slant. And that tends to come up on sports talk radio, not in "fact-based" journalism.)

Rather, Dallas reporters receive editorial direction to cover the Cubs because the editors and publishers perceive that the Cubs have a bigger following in this market. They figure they will please more readers / listeners / viewers if they cover the Cubs as though they are the second MLB team in North Texas.

I really wish the journalists on this board would just acknowledge that there is no such thing as "objectivity" in the media of the real world. Objectivity might be a nice ideal, but as human beings, reporters bring in their own biases into their reporting whether they like it or not. Reporters can -- and do -- try to be fair and balanced, and I think overall they do a good job of it.

However, they earn their paychecks from publishers and therefore owe their living from people whose job it is to make money from the sale of advertising, which requires profitable penetration among select demographics, which is determined from incomplete statistical research. (Nielsens are drawn from the viewing habits of no more than a few thousand viewers, Arbitrons are drawn from the listening habits of just a few thousand radio listeners, and newspaper ad rates are determined by subscription and news stand sales).

Why does Dallas Morning News columnist Gerry Fraley write about the Cubs more often than any other MLB team, save, perhaps, the Rangers? Because he thinks more people will be interested in reading about the Cubs. Why does Channel 8 chief sports anchor Dale Hansen show Cubs highlights on the 6 p.m. news? Because he thinks there are more Cubs fans watching. Why do the sports editors of the Dallas Morning News publish AP photos and AP stories about the Cubs? Because they think that there are more Cubs fans than any other team but the Rangers among their readers.

In a market that is over 900 miles from Chicago, this has nothing to do with Sox management or lack of winning. It has to do with MONEY and CORPORATE-OWNED MEDIA, plain and simple, and I DARE anyone to deny it.

Hangar18
07-07-2003, 08:19 AM
Excellent Point XIL35

FJA
07-07-2003, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
watching the all-star selection show tonight i became frustrated that the baseball tonight crew seemed to be giving both chicago baseball teams ownership of the all-star game. the analysts seemed to include angles on the cubs and sammy just as much as the sox and frank. there was a lot of talk about chicago fans while i never heard "white sox" or "us cellular" specifically associated with the all-star game. at one point one of the anlysts talked about how the all-star game was coming when both chicago baseball teams were having some success. somehow i doubt anyone would be mentioning the sox in conjunction with the all-star game were it to take place at wrigley.

Did anyone else hear Joe Morgan on the Dodgers/Diamondbacks game last night saying something to the effect that he was disturbed Sham-Me wasn't playing in the city he owns? Because Sham-Me is synonomous with Chicago and baseball?

I think it's really good for the Sox he's not going, because no one will be able to pull that HIS city crap when they're in the Sox stadium, and the focus can be on Frank as long as we

KEEP VOTING!

JRIG
07-07-2003, 12:41 PM
Today's Sun-Times also has no mention of Frank getting the shaft on the front or back pages, but finds room to highlight Sammy's "snub" on the front page and the back page of the paper. Am I missing something?

:shammy
"Tell Frank to try hopping after he thinks he's hit a home run. That gets me lots of love."

FJA
07-07-2003, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by JRIG
Today's Sun-Times also has no mention of Frank getting the shaft on the front or back pages, but finds room to highlight Sammy's "snub" on the front page and the back page of the paper. Am I missing something?

:shammy
"Tell Frank to try hopping after he thinks he's hit a home run. That gets me lots of love."

I noticed that too ... I hate to say it, but the Cubune's coverage of the All-Star selections was much better.

sox_fan_forever
07-07-2003, 12:50 PM
This is something that I have been afraid of for quite some time, so I'm not surprised to see that it is happening. I just had a feeling that the media would turn this All Star Game into Cubs fest.

soxwon
07-07-2003, 04:47 PM
be patient my brothers and sisters- THE ALL STAR GAME is OURS, and afterwards the PLAYOFFS ARE OURS- THen the WORLD SERIES is OURS!
Dont get your collective boxers in a bunch my fellow fans, PRAISE the WHITE SOX, PRAISE KENNY WILLIAMS, EVEN PRAISE GERRY MANUEL!!!!
ITS ALL COMING TOGETHER NICELY< WE ARE BUILDING A DYNASTY, HAVE FAITH MY BROTHERS
we shall be united in the Church of the Pale Hose, next weeks all star spectacular will raise the roof off the Cellular-comiskey Shrine.
Hallelulah
then all the baseball world will see the brilliance, of the WHITE SOX.
sosas cork was meant to be, patterson injury was meant to be!!!
the cubs colapse was meant to be!!!
the sox sudden rise from the ashes was meant to be.
its all being done by the Baseball Gods, 2003 the year of the sox was meant to be!!!!!
believe my friends, have faith, and VOTE VOTE VOTE big Hurt.
if you dont believe and some wont well just sit bacjk and youll say later MANNN- I shouldve believed cause WE DID IT!!!!
Love you all my Comiskey Christians.
Da reverand has spoken

MarqSox
07-07-2003, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by soxwon
be patient my brothers and sisters- THE ALL STAR GAME is OURS, and afterwards the PLAYOFFS ARE OURS- THen the WORLD SERIES is OURS!
Dont get your collective boxers in a bunch my fellow fans, PRAISE the WHITE SOX, PRAISE KENNY WILLIAMS, EVEN PRAISE GERRY MANUEL!!!!
ITS ALL COMING TOGETHER NICELY< WE ARE BUILDING A DYNASTY, HAVE FAITH MY BROTHERS
we shall be united in the Church of the Pale Hose, next weeks all star spectacular will raise the roof off the Cellular-comiskey Shrine.
Hallelulah
its all being done by the Baseball Gods, 2003 the year of the sox was meant to be!!!!!
if you dont believe and some wont well just sit bacjk and youll say later MANNN- I shouldve believed cause WE DID IT!!!!
Da reverand has spoken

Did anyone else find this post oddly disturbing?

soxwon
07-07-2003, 06:11 PM
oddly disturbing- WHAT i am Da Reverand the founding father of the Church of the Pale Hose my brother, everyone knows Da Rev.
sec 164 row 8 seat 1 every weekend.
you gots to believe!!!
i speak the truth you non believer repent your soul-dedicate it to THE WHITE SOX, you shall be raised to new heights when we reach the Series.
you are forgiven my friend!!!!
da reverand mags konerko

southsidegirl
07-07-2003, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by soxwon
Hallelulah
Da reverand has spoken

thats an......interesting way to put it

bobj4400
07-08-2003, 11:07 AM
from Dan Shanoff of ESPN Page 2:

http://msn.espn.go.com/page2/s/shanoff/030708.html

FJA
07-08-2003, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by bobj4400
from Dan Shanoff of ESPN Page 2:

http://msn.espn.go.com/page2/s/shanoff/030708.html