PDA

View Full Version : MLB "stuffed" the ballot box?

B. Diddy
07-07-2003, 01:02 AM
I was pretty surprised that Sosa didn't get voted into the All Star game. Didn't he have a pretty substantial lead (like 100,00 votes) just a couple days ago?

I wondering if Selig "stuffed" the ballot box to knock Sammy out on purpose. I mean, there would be great incentive to:

(1) Lettting Sammy in after being caught with a corked bat would send a strong message: "Cheaters are rewarded!" Perhaps MLB didn't want to send such a message?

(2) Sosa would be greeted with an onslaught of boos at The Cell. Perhaps MLB didn't want to show one of their poster boys being verbally attacked on national television?

I know that this may sound like a bunch of conspiracy theory BS, but if Sosa did have a large lead in the voting just recently, I find it hard to believe that Cardinals fans were able to knock him out of first place in such a short time. I certainly wouldn't put it past that money-hungry snake Selig, who turns a blind eye to a steroid problem that is beginning to spiral out of control.

In any case, I'm glad that Pujols was voted in as a starter. He definitely deserves it.

doublem23
07-07-2003, 01:04 AM
Who knows? Either way... NO SAMMY! The guy on NBC (I think) said it best... What will a Home Run Derby in Chicago be like with Sammy?

The answer, is "delicious."

The banana strikes again?

:bandance:

MisterB
07-07-2003, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by B. Diddy
I was pretty surprised that Sosa didn't get voted into the All Star game. Didn't he have a pretty substantial lead (like 100,00 votes) just a couple days ago?

I wondering if Selig "stuffed" the ballot box to knock Sammy out on purpose.

:tool
"There was some confusion with the Florida All-Star ballots and some of Sosa's votes may have gone to Brian Buchanan."

Jerko
07-07-2003, 09:38 AM
Maybe all the Cub fans should have used their cell phones to log on and vote for Sammy instead of calling their boyfriends to tell them to look for them on TV. Great, now next year because of this they'll bring laptops to Wrigley to not watch the game.

bobj4400
07-07-2003, 11:02 AM
Although I was overjoyed to see Scam-ME* was not voted to the all star team, it would have been particularly fun to hear the merciless booing of "the savior of baseball" on national tv. Maybe some of the lemmings would have realized it is ok to boo the cheating steroid abuser. (Although his reception in Philly was pretty poor.) Nice work Philadelphia!

harwar
07-07-2003, 11:13 AM
The baseball gods created "sammy" and now they are punishing him because he has been a bad bad boy.

Iguana775
07-07-2003, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by MisterB
:tool
"There was some confusion with the Florida All-Star ballots and some of Sosa's votes may have gone to Brian Buchanan."

*****!!!

PaleHoseGeorge
07-07-2003, 01:37 PM
I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to learn MLB rigged the final outcome to get Sosa off the field. There is NO WAY they wanted to beam images to a national audience of Scammin' Shammy Soso getting ripped by fans within in his own "hometown" of Chicago. That's the sort of thing that could quickly snowball into every other ballpark that Soso plays in the remainder of the season.

Wouldn't that be "delicious." :smile:

:corker

Foulke You
07-07-2003, 03:03 PM
It does seem rather suspicious how just 1 week ago Sosa was enjoying a huge 100,000 vote lead over Pujols and suddenly out of nowhere Pujols is in. Did the Cardinals do a "get out the vote" campaign and stuff the boxes or set up internet kiosks like Cleveland did in the late '90s? If not, then I'm definitely on the MLB conspiracy bandwagon. Chants of corky and intense booing of "one of the great representatives of the game" could have swayed the vote to Pujols. It would have been fun to boo Sammy but he was certainly not deserving of an all star bid and with the season that Pujols is having, he deserves to start.

Jerko
07-07-2003, 03:17 PM
I don't think baseball tried to keep him out because they still invited him to the Home Run Derby!

pearso66
07-07-2003, 05:09 PM
How is he in the homerun derby? I thought that was for people in the All star game? He'll probably be usiing a corked bat since he says its for exhibitions.

BeerHandle
07-07-2003, 05:57 PM
Scammin' Sammy Sosa turned down the invite. He knew that he would have to wear ear plugs again at Comiskey!!!

RKMeibalane
07-07-2003, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by Jerko
I don't think baseball tried to keep him out because they still invited him to the Home Run Derby!

That's just stupid. According to the MLB rules, a player must make the AS team in order to be eligible to participate in the Home Run Derby. This is the kind of bull**** that has really zapped my enthusiasm for All Star Games, not just in baseball, but in other sports, as well.

Hangar18
07-07-2003, 06:10 PM
I agree. MLB did the right thing (for once) in having PUJOLS, a guy on a Triple Crown Pace, get in the all star game. Unfortuneately, for every Good Move MLB makes, Selig will make 4 bad ones. I think the other thing was that SOSA wouldve been BOOOED MERCILESSLY on World Television, and the MLB
didnt want to be embarrassed. Of course the media wouldve made sox fans the Villains somehow......