PDA

View Full Version : Just Wondering...

Lip Man 1
07-06-2003, 12:36 PM
Did anybody else see this quote?

"Plus, I've got to find time for Harris, I've got to find time for (Aaron) Rowand, and I've definitely got to find time for Konerko ."--Jerry Manuel to the Chicago Sun Times.

Considering all THREE of those guys have had dismal seasons, I'd have to ask Manager Gandhi WHY?

If he concerned that those guys are going to get "mad" at him? LOL

Seriously I read a comment along those lines recently and it was a great point. Manager Gandhi doesn't want to be a leader, he doesn't have the personality that can take people being mad at him. He'd rather be a follower or short of that, making sure that everyone likes him.

Again I think it was right on the money and gives some insight into this constant tinkering.

Here's another point, considering the media says that Gandhi is a great guy who gets along with people (in other words a "players" manager) how in the recent Sports Illustrated poll could those same players vote him the 3rd worst manager?

Could it be his reputation as a "tinkerer" has caused those same players problems? (i.e. in knowing their roles, having a stable situation etc...) and the players HATE that?

Just wondering.

Lip

RKMeibalane
07-06-2003, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Did anybody else see this quote?

"Plus, I've got to find time for Harris, I've got to find time for (Aaron) Rowand, and I've definitely got to find time for Konerko ."--Jerry Manuel to the Chicago Sun Times.

Considering all THREE of those guys have had dismal seasons, I'd have to ask Manager Gandhi WHY?

If he concerned that those guys are going to get "mad" at him? LOL

Seriously I read a comment along those lines recently and it was a great point. Manager Gandhi doesn't want to be a leader, he doesn't have the personality that can take people being mad at him. He'd rather be a follower or short of that, making sure that everyone likes him.

Again I think it was right on the money and gives some insight into this constant tinkering.

Here's another point, considering the media says that Gandhi is a great guy who gets along with people (in other words a "players" manager) how in the recent Sports Illustrated poll could those same players vote him the 3rd worst manager?

Could it be his reputation as a "tinkerer" has caused those same players problems? (i.e. in knowing their roles, having a stable situation etc...) and the players HATE that?

Just wondering.

Lip

I think that you "hit the nail on the head," Lip. Manuel just doesn't have the personality to manage a professional baseball team. He's too concerned about people getting upset with him. His style would work perfectly in a Little League setting, but not with the Chicago White Sox.

Throughout the past two seasons, we have seen the Sox make several mental errors during the course of a game. We have also seen players not hustling, not reacting to a particular situation the way that they should. I am beginning to think that this happens becuase of Manuel. Don't misunderstand me. I'm not referring to whether JM teaches his players proper fundamentals. I am instead referring to the fact that Manuel does not have the respect of his players, and so, they don't take games as seriously as they should. They know that nothing will happen to them if they screw up. Manuel rarely makes an example of someone who has committed a serious mental mistake during a game.

Remember when Carlos was picked off third base? He was in the lineup the following evening. He was never punished for what happened. It took forever for Manuel to do anything about D'Angelo Jimenez after his numerous screw-ups this season. Players on this team stand a better chance of getting benched when they are playing well, as opposed to when they are not.

Paulwny
07-06-2003, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
I think that you "hit the nail on the head," Lip. Manuel just doesn't have the personality to manage a professional baseball team. He's too concerned about people getting upset with him. His style would work perfectly in a Little League setting, but not with the Chicago White Sox.

Exactly, and when he is fired it will be reported that "He was loved by all the players , a players manager".
He should be more concerned with winning rather then stroking egoes.

Fridaythe13thJason
07-06-2003, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
Exactly, and when he is fired it will be reported that "He was loved by all the players , a players manager".
He should be more concerned with winning rather then stroking egoes.

He's not stroking ego's...he's keeping the whole team involved. Watch another AL team besides the Yankees. You'll find that they change their lineups as well.

Lip Man 1
07-06-2003, 03:34 PM
Just wondering SoCal...

Which teams are you specifically referring to? Can you list them as well as their won / lost records.

Also I'm still waiting for comment, especially from Manager Gandhi's defenders, HOW a "players manager" can be voted the 3rd worst manager? Or to put it another way "what manager would you least like to play for?"

Again I ask the question HOW do you account for this descrepency? It doesn't seem to make any sense.

Lip

MarqSox
07-06-2003, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Remember when Carlos was picked off third base? He was in the lineup the following evening. He was never punished for what happened. It took forever for Manuel to do anything about D'Angelo Jimenez after his numerous screw-ups this season.

In other words ... he DIDN'T tinker. How ironic.

Fridaythe13thJason
07-06-2003, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Just wondering SoCal...

Which teams are you specifically referring to? Can you list them as well as their won / lost records.

Also I'm still waiting for comment, especially from Manager Gandhi's defenders, HOW a "players manager" can be voted the 3rd worst manager? Or to put it another way "what manager would you least like to play for?"

Again I ask the question HOW do you account for this descrepency? It doesn't seem to make any sense.

Lip

Well, if you really want me to do some research, it'll have to be another day, but just for one example...the Oakland A's have used three very different lineups in each game of their three game set against Anaheim this weekend. Their record is 48-38.

I won't even take time to respond to the silly voting thing. Until I get the scientific info on how that poll was conducted, I took one too many stats classes to believe that crap.

Paulwny
07-06-2003, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by SoCalUIC
Watch another AL team besides the Yankees.

Actually if you're doing a line-up study, you'll find that Torre has done quite a bit of shuffling due to the injuries to Williams and Johnson.
Sorry, I live in yankee country and 99% of the games are broadcast, and I have an interest since I have a team to root against.

Lip Man 1
07-06-2003, 08:23 PM
SoCal:

According to SI the local reporters who cover the teams were asked to give the questioneer. All players were guaranteed privacy. Over 550 responded.

The questions asked were as you see them in the magazine.

So I'm still waiting for an explanation (and I'm not singling you out) about how a so called players manager can be one that 7% of the 550 players who responded thought he was the worst manager in baseball. (The 7% was good for 3rd place. Larry Bowa was deemed the worst at 10%)

That in itself seems to defy logic.

Lip