PDA

View Full Version : White Sox trade for Dunn....

Effigy
07-06-2003, 12:29 PM
...Scott Dunn, that is.

Just annouced on the Reds broadcast. Dj to the Reds for Scott Dunn. Dunn is in AA-Chattanooga. His numbers are: 31 relief appearences, 3-2, 3.79 ERA, 8 Svs. 54 K's in 30 IP, only 17 bb.

Hes a fine pitcher. I believe hes in the 25-26 range.

MHOUSE
07-06-2003, 12:32 PM
I would've taken a bag of baseballs, but hey a relief prospect is great! :D: Good to get back a pitcher after Kenny traded so many to NYM and Texas. Can we get anything for Rios?

gogosoxgogo
07-06-2003, 12:37 PM
Could this be the trade that blew our minds?

OEO Magglio
07-06-2003, 12:40 PM
Could this be the trade that blew our minds?
It is pretty mindblowing that the Sox could get anything for DJ.

Effigy
07-06-2003, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by OEO Magglio
It is pretty mindblowing that the Sox could get anything for DJ. Seriously? No.

Now, from what I've read, DJ seems to be a good hitter and He's only 25. You got teams out there like the Reds and Cards who are seriously looking for a 2B and it's a shock to you? Looks like Sox fans don't do their homework. ;)

JaBBz
07-06-2003, 12:48 PM
Not as amazing as Jim Hendry getting not one, but TWO live humans for Todd Hundley. :?:

OEO Magglio
07-06-2003, 12:48 PM
It's not really a shock to me, I was expecting him to be traded eventually, but what I meant is he's such a clueless player it's nice to get anything for him.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-06-2003, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Effigy
...Looks like Sox fans don't do their homework. ;)

Now that you have Jimenez, I'll make a deal with you, Ef. Come back next July and see if Sox Fans aren't laughing at you and your fellow Reds fans for the exact same thing.

:smile:

Effigy
07-06-2003, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Now that you have Jimenez, I'll make a deal with you, Ef. Come back next July and see if Sox Fans aren't laughing at you and your fellow Reds fans for the exact same thing.

Ok, I'm confused.

DJ is 25. He's a switch hitter.

DJ was hitting around .300 for the first 2 months.

DJ struggled in June, and it lowered his overall AVG.

So just fill me in a bit. He has one bad month and all of a sudden hes worth nothing? As a Reds fan, I know I and others are happy to have him. We have Juan Castro for Gods sake as our 2B. So DJ is a nice pickup for us, but - just fill me in alittle .. whats the problem, cause just looking at numbers, I don't see it.

OEO Magglio
07-06-2003, 01:01 PM
It's not so much his batting that was the worst of DJ, he's the most clueless player you'll ever see play the game, he's a terrible baserunner, and he's a very dumb fielder with absolutly no range at all, trust me, you'll get sick of him after a couple times seeing him play.

Daver
07-06-2003, 01:02 PM
Ok, I'm confused.

DJ is 25. He's a switch hitter.

DJ was hitting around .300 for the first 2 months.

DJ struggled in June, and it lowered his overall AVG.

So just fill me in a bit. He has one bad month and all of a sudden hes worth nothing? As a Reds fan, I know I and others are happy to have him. We have Juan Castro for Gods sake as our 2B. So DJ is a nice pickup for us, but - just fill me in alittle .. whats the problem, cause just looking at numbers, I don't see it.

Basing anything purely on numbers is a mistake.

Jiminez might be the laziest ballplayer I have ever seen,he is incapable of running the bases,he has no clue when it comes to playing littleball,and he has a tendency to loaf in the field.

You'll hate him in two months.

oheeoh...magglio
numbers don't begin to describe the stupidity, laziness, and lack of a baseball savvy that is dj.....

Effigy
Originally posted by OEO Magglio
It's not so much his batting that was the worst of DJ, he's the most clueless player you'll ever see play the game, he's a terrible baserunner, and he's a very dumb fielder with absolutly no range at all, trust me, you'll get sick of him after a couple times seeing him play. Well, then he'll fit in with the Reds. Thanks. :D:

sox_fan_forever
07-06-2003, 01:04 PM
I understand you're confusion, Effigy. That's exactly the way I, along with many other people, felt when the Sox picked him up last year. Just wait...you'll find out what we are talking about soon enough.

Effigy
07-06-2003, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by daver
Basing anything purely on numbers is a mistake.

Jiminez might be the laziest ballplayer I have ever seen,he is incapable of running the bases,he has no clue when it comes to playing littleball,and he has a tendency to loaf in the field.

You'll hate him in two months. I hope not, but it's not like the Reds are losing anything in this deal.

Sometimes laziness and mental mistakes are signs of bad managing. We have a youngster in Felipe Lopez that would probally drive you guys nuts too. DJ sounds just like Lopez, but DJ looks like a much better hitter.

All I know is, we need a 2B. We need a contact hitter. Looks like we got that, so I'm happy - and over at the Reds board, alot of them are happy - but I guess we'll have to wait a few months to see if his 'mental' aspect of his game doesn't pick up.

But trust me, Bad Fielding? Bad baserunning? Fits in right with the Reds. :(:

sox_fan_forever
07-06-2003, 01:08 PM
Sometimes laziness and mental mistakes are signs of bad managing. We have a youngster in Felipe Lopez that would probally drive you guys nuts too. DJ sounds just like Lopez, but DJ looks like a much better hitter.

Then not only the Sox, but the Yankees and Padres as well, have bad managing. :o: lol

PaleHoseGeorge
07-06-2003, 01:10 PM
Well, then he'll fit in with the Reds. Thanks. :D:

Look, just do us a favor: Finish ahead of the Flubbies. For Sox Fans, summer in Chicago is virtually unbearable while sharing the city with the biggest bunch of idiots to ever confuse themselves with major league baseball fans. The sooner the Flubbies are eliminated from the race, the easier life will become for Sox Fans.

I hope Jimenez helps, but I wouldn't count on it.

Effigy
07-06-2003, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by sox_fan_forever
Then not only the Sox, but the Yankees and Padres as well, have bad managing. :o: lol Not pointing fingers, just trying to figure out why.

We'll let Adam Dunn slap him around for a few months, see what happens. ;):

oheeoh...magglio
07-06-2003, 01:13 PM
hey effigy, if u are a reds fan and from kentucky, why are u a member of this site?? I'm not trying to run you out of here or anything, but i'm just curious what the heck are u doing here?? :D:

Effigy
07-06-2003, 01:14 PM
Look, just do us a favor: Finish ahead of the Flubbies. For Sox Fans, summer in Chicago is virtually unbearable while sharing the city with the biggest bunch of idiots to ever confuse themselves with major league baseball fans. The sooner the Flubbies are eliminated from the race, the easier life will become for Sox Fans.

:smile: You know it. I hate the Cubs (and the Cards, and the Stros. :cool: ) just as much as WhiteSox fans do. But we aren't going anywhere unless Bowden can aquire some pitching. Although it has showed some signs of life, the pitching staff needs help.

Spring Training, I had the White Sox in the World Series, so yeah - make me look smart and go win it. :D:

Originally posted by oheeoh...magglio
hey effigy, if u are a reds fan and from kentucky, why are u a member of this site?? I'm not trying to run you out of here or anything, but i'm just curious what the heck are u doing here?? :D:

I'm a baseball fan period. I signed up here when the Sox were kinda dropping in the race, and rumors were floating around about Colon to the Reds. BUT, that won't happen. But I just like talking baseball so I hope I'm not too much trouble. :smile:

oheeoh...magglio
although maybe i should shut up, u have been a member a lot longer than i have....

soxtalker
An interesting aspect of this, of course, is that DJ probably would have been a free agent if the Sox couldn't have swung a trade. I doubt that this is lost on any GM. So, there must have been other interest in his services.

oheeoh...magglio
07-06-2003, 01:16 PM

With as dumb as cub fans are, i question anybody who says they are a sox and cubs fan, i strongly doubt anybody that follows both teams and both teams fans could be a cubs and sox fan...

Daver
07-06-2003, 01:21 PM

You could ask that same question to the 6 or 7 Twins fans that post here,as well as the Cardinals fans,Cubs fans,Tigers fans,Brewers fans,etc. I think we even have an Expos fan lurking around.

:bandance:

oheeoh...magglio
07-06-2003, 01:23 PM
You could ask that same question to the 6 or 7 Twins fans that post here,as well as the Cardinals fans,Cubs fans,Tigers fans,Brewers fans,etc. I think we even have an Expos fan lurking around.

ok thanks man, that indeed proves i am new around these parts, i have no problem with the reds, but the cubs and twins, if both teams folded my life would be far happier... :D:

sox_fan_forever
07-06-2003, 01:24 PM
I like having intelligent fans of other teams around.

:)

oheeoh...magglio
07-06-2003, 01:28 PM
hey daver, would u happen to know how long this site has been around and how many members it has?? I'm just curious...a friend told me about it a couple weeks ago and i just think it is the greatest site ever :)

WillieHarris12
07-06-2003, 01:34 PM
Yay, it's Royce Ring all over again! :)

I like guys who have more strikeouts than IP, those are true power pitchers.

Daver
07-06-2003, 01:34 PM
hey daver, would u happen to know how long this site has been around and how many members it has?? I'm just curious...a friend told me about it a couple weeks ago and i just think it is the greatest site ever :)

You can read about the history of the site here. (http://whitesoxinteractive.com/Columnists/Bova/AllAboutWSI.htm)

At the moment there are 1595 members.

JaBBz
07-06-2003, 02:05 PM
Trust us, Ef, when we tell you we're being entirely objective in our descriptions.

D'Angelo Jimenez...

Good: Hitting for contact, occasional power, ability to draw walks

Bad: Baserunning, fielding, speed, decision-making in general

Suffice it to say that for all of his seeming talent, he is the stupidest baseball player I have ever seen. Prior to his acquisition, I never put much stock into the expression "baseball instincts." Jimenez proves that not only can baseball instincts be quantified, but that he actually has a negative quantity of baseball instincts.

jeremyb1
07-06-2003, 02:18 PM
if you want a player that will help you to win baseball games, jimenez is a good pickup. if you put a lot of focus on the little things such as fundamentals, baserunning, and flawless defense you'll be dissapointed but you got a 25 year old that is an above average hitter at second base for nothing, i'd be pleased.

JaBBz
07-06-2003, 02:31 PM
If the sight of DJ in the field or on base didn't induce vomiting in you, then sir, your digestive system is stronger than mine.

Fridaythe13thJason
07-06-2003, 02:34 PM
Effigy, don't listen to some of them. Yes, DJ has some MAJOR problems paying attention. However, to pick him up for a 26 year old reliever in AA is a great move. The Reds are a terrible fundamental ballclub, so maybe it won't matter. Players that have that many skills will get quite a few more shots before everyone gives up on them.

MarqSox
07-06-2003, 02:44 PM
Anybody got a scouting report on this Dunn guy?

hose
07-06-2003, 03:35 PM
You can read about the history of the site here. (http://whitesoxinteractive.com/Columnists/Bova/AllAboutWSI.htm)

At the moment there are 1595 members.

Can't you edit the first paragraph? :D:

George Bova , the only POW from Grenda escaped a Cuban jail and with the aide of plastic milk containers swam to the shores of Florida. After being detained 4 months by the Florida State Police by mistake George made it back home and started WSI..... :)

Twins8791
07-06-2003, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by sox_fan_forever
I like having intelligent fans of other teams around.

:)
Hey Thanks! :cool:

Dunn looks like a good pickup for you, considering the low cost of acquisition.

hose
07-06-2003, 03:38 PM
Not pointing fingers, just trying to figure out why.

We'll let Adam Dunn slap him around for a few months, see what happens. ;):

DJ does have the talent his problem is to many mental mistake.

Hopefully both teams can benefit.

Daver
07-06-2003, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by hose
Can't you edit the first paragraph? :D:

George Bova , the only POW from Grenda escaped a Cuban jail and with the aide of plastic milk containers swam to the shores of Florida. After being detained 4 months by the Florida State Police by mistake George made it back home and started WSI..... :)

Talk to PHG about that.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-06-2003, 03:57 PM
Talk to PHG about that.

They're on to me, Daver.

:cool:

duke of dorwood
07-06-2003, 04:34 PM
OK with me as long as he keeps getting game winning hits against the Flubs

jeremyb1
07-06-2003, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Twins8791
Hey Thanks! :cool:

Dunn looks like a good pickup for you, considering the low cost of acquisition.

i wouldn't call a 25 year old in AA an aquisition. this is the type of move you make so you confuse many of your fans into thinking you didn't dump a productive player for nothing.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-06-2003, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
i wouldn't call a 25 year old in AA an aquisition. this is the type of move you make so you confuse many of your fans into thinking you didn't dump a productive player for nothing.

Sorry to say, but you can only keep 25 guys on the roster. So take your pick, jeremy. Who would you cut:

1. Harris
2. Rowand
3. Jimenez
4. Rios

This is a no-brainer for most of us. We upgraded our roster with the addition of Alomar and Everett. This is a good thing.

soxtalker
07-06-2003, 05:31 PM

You bring up a good point about his age, though I doubt that it was done to "confuse fans." Most fans wanted DJ out of here as fast as possible whether we got anything for him or not. Could this is be an acquisition to provide the minor league team with a player to fill a hole in its roster?

Daver
07-06-2003, 05:34 PM

This is a no-brainer for most of us. We upgraded our roster with the addition of Alomar and Everett. This is a good thing.

It is called "Addition by Subtraction",you make your team better by removing the weak link.

The fact that Willie Harris could be a better second baseman in the long run would play in this too.

Corkinator
07-06-2003, 06:02 PM
Farethee well DJ, I wish you nothing but the bluest of sky. Yes you may be incredibly lazy. Yes, you may have possibly the worst instincts of anyone to lace up spikes. Yes, you may have the range of an ant. But, my dear friend, you did deliver a game winning hit against the swine from the North Side, and for that you depart with our eternal gratitute. Happy trails my friend....So can this Dunn guy get anybody out?

kempsted
07-06-2003, 09:04 PM
It is also important to notice DJ just didn't have a bad June - he batted about .112 in June. And in all three Months he couldn't run bases or field the ball. He obviously has some hitting talent but... He also has a rep as a bad clubhouse guy. This is fine if he is good but otherwise it is a problem.

Jerko
07-07-2003, 09:43 AM
Maybe Kenny just THOUGHT it was ADAM Dunn, like the outfielder we got from LA who he thought was a pitcher.

jabrch
07-07-2003, 10:00 AM
Remember Gookie Dawkins? After watching DJ for a few weeks, you will miss the good ole' Gookie Dawkins days. DJ hurts your team in ever facet of the game. His baserunning is exceptionally poor. His defense is well below average. At best, he is a mediocre hitter for his position.

The Yanks traded him to SD cuz he stunk in AA. The Padres sent him to the Sox cuz he had no clue at AAA. We promoted him to the bigs, found out he was still clueless, and sent him to the Reds.

Really...this guy is not good.

Hangar18
07-07-2003, 10:58 AM
I hope not, but it's not like the Reds are losing anything in this deal.

Sometimes laziness and mental mistakes are signs of bad managing.
:(:

This could be true. Sometimes a "problem" player will
click with the right manager. Thats why you'll see an under-achieving player get traded for another under-achieving player.
sometimes a different mgr will be able to CLICK with the new
guy. I know in basketball, Phil Jackson was able to get the most out of a seemingly limited talent player. Could it be that Manuel just didnt know how to use Jimenez ?? (a limited role)

jeremyb1
07-07-2003, 05:40 PM
Sorry to say, but you can only keep 25 guys on the roster. So take your pick, jeremy. Who would you cut:

1. Harris
2. Rowand
3. Jimenez
4. Rios

i think there's a misconception here. i have yet to hear anyone state that willie harris does not have options left so the choices were not "cut jimenez" or "cut harris", they were "cut jimenez" or "demote harris to charlotte" which is completely different. regardless, even if the decision was between harris and jimenez, what has harris done to earn a roster spot outside of posting a .200 on base percentage?

PaleHoseGeorge
07-07-2003, 06:03 PM
...what has harris done to earn a roster spot outside of posting a .200 on base percentage?

Play the outfield. It comes in handy, especially when the other reserve outfielder hasn't a clue how to play defense.

Next question.

Daver
07-07-2003, 06:06 PM
Play the outfield. It comes in handy, especially when the other reserve outfielder hasn't a clue how to play defense.

You forgot to mention posess hustle and desire.

The Sox don't need that I guess.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-07-2003, 06:17 PM
You forgot to mention posess hustle and desire.

The Sox don't need that I guess.

I stand corrected. Thanks.

:redneck

StillMissOzzie
07-08-2003, 12:47 AM
As Mark Twain said (or at least got credit for saying), there are lies, damn lies, and statistics. Judging DJ by his statistics is the most misleading crock of s__t you're gonna find. To see this guy play is to know he was dead from the neck up.

But, he will always be remembered for delivering a GWRBI against the Scrubs, so I'll just wish DJ the best of luck in his nw home.

:gulp:

TornLabrum
07-08-2003, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by StillMissOzzie
As Mark Twain said (or at least got credit for saying), there are lies, damn lies, and statistics.

I thought it was Churchill.

Paulwny
07-08-2003, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
I thought it was Churchill.

Benjamin Disraeli

TornLabrum
07-08-2003, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by Paulwny
Benjamin Disraeli

Do I get partial credit for it being a British Prime Minister?

PaleHoseGeorge
07-08-2003, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
Do I get partial credit for it being a British Prime Minister?

Do I get partial credit for owning Cream's Disraeli Gears? :smile: