PDA

View Full Version : Are we trying to win the division or not?


pudge
07-06-2003, 12:21 PM
I'd really like to know. I mean, we made these big trades, and Kenny Williams started talking about his "dreams" of going to the World Series, and I started to believe we were actually trying to win the AL Central and go deep in October. Then I watch Billy Koch get trotted out to blow yet another game against the lowly Tampa Bay D-Rays, and I see our star hitter Magglio is not playing in a tight game on Saturday (could he maybe have been a pinch-hitter when the bases were loaded, instead of hitting a meaningless solo shot in the 9th?).

So I ask, yet again, are we actually trying to win the division or not?

sox_fan_forever
07-06-2003, 12:24 PM
I'm just as confused as you.

MarqSox
07-06-2003, 01:05 PM
Settle down. Some of you guys get way too up when we win two in a row and way too down when we lose two in a row.

sox_fan_forever
07-06-2003, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
Settle down. Some of you guys get way too up when we win two and a row and way too down when we lose two in a row.

I know, I know. Sometimes I can't help myself though. :cool:

pudge
07-06-2003, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
Settle down. Some of you guys get way too up when we win two in a row and way too down when we lose two in a row.

Sorry for caring - the problem is, our crappy management has cost us a ton of games this season... if we were in any division other than the Central, this season would already be lost. I don't feel too bad about losing the past two games because our division still sucks, but I'm sick and tired of watching our team waste away ball games.

MarqSox
07-06-2003, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by pudge
Sorry for caring - the problem is, our crappy management has cost us a ton of games this season... if we were in any division other than the Central, this season would already be lost. I don't feel too bad about losing the past two games because our division still sucks, but I'm sick and tired of watching our team waste away ball games.

OK, but doing one's job poorly and not trying to do it well are too different things. A two-game losing streak has nothing to do with whether KW or anybody else is trying to win the division.

Fridaythe13thJason
07-06-2003, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by pudge
I'd really like to know. I mean, we made these big trades, and Kenny Williams started talking about his "dreams" of going to the World Series, and I started to believe we were actually trying to win the AL Central and go deep in October. Then I watch Billy Koch get trotted out to blow yet another game against the lowly Tampa Bay D-Rays, and I see our star hitter Magglio is not playing in a tight game on Saturday (could he maybe have been a pinch-hitter when the bases were loaded, instead of hitting a meaningless solo shot in the 9th?).

So I ask, yet again, are we actually trying to win the division or not?

I guess you didn't get the memo about us being HALFWAY through the season recently. The best teams have lost games to bad teams before. I believe the Yankees have lost some series to the Rays, and they have 26 World Series Titles. What are you talking about with Koch. He had been pitching pretty well lately. He's the closer...he blew it. The manager said he may be making a change...what more can you want from a guy?

I also feel like some of you have never watched another AL team besides the Yankees maybe. While Manuel may be a bit more extreme, most teams trot out some different lineups, use different DHs, and shuffle around. The Yankees do not because they have ALL-STARS AT EVERY POSITION.

pudge
07-06-2003, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by SoCalUIC
I guess you didn't get the memo about us being HALFWAY through the season recently. The best teams have lost games to bad teams before. I believe the Yankees have lost some series to the Rays, and they have 26 World Series Titles. What are you talking about with Koch. He had been pitching pretty well lately. He's the closer...he blew it. The manager said he may be making a change...what more can you want from a guy?

I also feel like some of you have never watched another AL team besides the Yankees maybe. While Manuel may be a bit more extreme, most teams trot out some different lineups, use different DHs, and shuffle around. The Yankees do not because they have ALL-STARS AT EVERY POSITION.

I don't mind the days off, but why not let Maggs bat when the bases were loaded? In other words, try to win the damn game instead of sitting back and watching. And I HATE the argument that "it's only halfway." One game, in the end, could make or break a season. Ask the Giants of '93, or the Indians of '00, or any number of teams throughout the history of baseball. That argument drives me crazy. It's an argument for losing teams.

As for Koch, I just really hope the last debacle puts an end to the debate. Start using others in the closer role and use Koch sparingly.

Fridaythe13thJason
07-06-2003, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by pudge
I don't mind the days off, but why not let Maggs bat when the bases were loaded? In other words, try to win the damn game instead of sitting back and watching. And I HATE the argument that "it's only halfway." One game, in the end, could make or break a season. Ask the Giants of '93, or the Indians of '00, or any number of teams throughout the history of baseball. That argument drives me crazy. It's an argument for losing teams.

As for Koch, I just really hope the last debacle puts an end to the debate. Start using others in the closer role and use Koch sparingly.

I wish I remember who it was that was very upset that Olivo didn't get to bat in a pressure situations last week. As you can see...Manuel will never win this game. When he pinch hits Olivo, people complain that he should get a chance to hit in those situations. When he hits him, we want a pinch hitter. No one should put that on Olivo, there were two guys before him who had much easier situations to get a run in.

MarqSox
07-06-2003, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by pudge
I don't mind the days off, but why not let Maggs bat when the bases were loaded?

Because you never know what's gonna happen. If you did, then baseball wouldn't be fun. Would you have pinch-hit Konerko the other night in the 11th? Doubt it. Sometimes you're right, sometimes you're wrong, but the decisions Manuel and KW make are always with the intention to win the game. Question their skill, but don't question their desire.

pudge
07-06-2003, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by SoCalUIC
I wish I remember who it was that was very upset that Olivo didn't get to bat in a pressure situations last week. As you can see...Manuel will never win this game. When he pinch hits Olivo, people complain that he should get a chance to hit in those situations. When he hits him, we want a pinch hitter. No one should put that on Olivo, there were two guys before him who had much easier situations to get a run in.

A lot of us were upset because Rios was the friggin' pinch hitter for Olivo. And at the time, Olivo was swinging well, wereas lately his timing has looked awful. I'm not even saying Mags should have PH for Olivio, I personally would have sent him up there in Graff's spot after Valentin made that sweet pop-out.

pudge
07-06-2003, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
Because you never know what's gonna happen. If you did, then baseball wouldn't be fun. Would you have pinch-hit Konerko the other night in the 11th? Doubt it. Sometimes you're right, sometimes you're wrong, but the decisions Manuel and KW make are always with the intention to win the game. Question their skill, but don't question their desire.

Hmm, let's see... down by one run with two outs and a left-hander on the mound, Konerko being the only right-handed power-hitter left on the bench... I knew before the annoucement was even made that Konerko would PH, and yes, I would have sent him up there too.... although I have to admit, I certainly did not think he'd actually hit a homerun.

:)