PDA

View Full Version : Reed is amazing


NC_sox_fan
07-06-2003, 10:37 AM
From the Birminham Barons website:

"The offense pounded out 18 hits, 12 off Jacksonville starter Alfredo Gonzalez, and plated seven runs as every starter either picked up a hit or scored a run. Guillermo Reyes went 4-for-4 with a double and two RBI and reached base five times and Jeremy Reed knocked out four hits of his own to raise his batting average to an unbelievable .500 (32-for-62). Reed extended his hitting-streak to a team leading 13 games with his first inning single and has now hit in 15 of the 16 games he has played as a Baron. Carlos Maldonado went 2-for-4 with a double and two RBI and Chad Durham rapped out three hits as well.

Ryan Meaux tossed two scoreless innings to finish out the game for Pacheco as the Barons moved back to .500 at 41-41 and into a three-way tie for first in the West division with Mobile and Huntsville."

The game report also said the Enemencio Pacheco "pitched seven solid innings giving up just one run on six hits while striking out a season-high eight batters".

The Warthogs also defeated the Kinston Indians last night, 7 to 6. Ryan Wing started the game but reliever Julio Castro picked up the win. Hogs big hitters, Brian Becker and Eric Welsh each had home runs in the come-from-behind-victory.

Kannapolis was defeated by the Hagerstown Suns last night 9 - 5.

Charlotte was trounced by Buffalo 16 - 6. Jon Adkins took the loss, allowing 10 hits and 6 earned runs. Ryan Hankins, recently promoted from Birmingham, had a home run, double, and a single with three runs scored.

hose
07-06-2003, 11:28 AM
BATTERS G AB R H TB 2B 3B HR RBI SH SF HP BB IB SO SB CS DP AVG OBP SLG

*Reed, Jeremy 16 64 15 32 47 4 1 3 8 0 0 0 4 2 5 7 4 1 .500 .529 .734


From what you have seen of Reed do you project him as a lead off hitter with gap power?

I know he is fast enough to steal and bats left handed, how would you rate his outfield play?

Future Sox outfield will be able to go get'em with Anderson , Reed, and( Brochard?) Maggs.

WillieHarris12
07-06-2003, 11:34 AM
Nice, maybe Reed needs to go to AAA.

Daver
07-06-2003, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by WillieHarris12
Nice, maybe Reed needs to go to AAA.

He's only played 17 games at AA,he was just promoted from Winston Salem.

hose
07-06-2003, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by daver
He's only played 17 games at AA,he was just promoted from Winston Salem.


Do you think Brochard is a bust ?

I've seen a few unnamed scouts are starting to talk.

Most people wrote off Cory Patterson last year as a bust but he bounced back pretty good. Patterson at least tore it up in the minors, can't say the same for Joe.

How long does Brochard go from a prospect to a suspect?

I'm hoping Joe can make it in the bigs. The Sox invested a lot in this guy.

Randar68
07-06-2003, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by hose
Most people wrote off Cory Patterson last year as a bust but he bounced back pretty good. Patterson at least tore it up in the minors, can't say the same for Joe.


Patterson never hit higher than .260 in a full season in the minor leagues. He has never had good K:BB numbers (even today).

Everything is not as the Tribune says.

hose
07-06-2003, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Patterson never hit higher than .260 in a full season in the minor leagues. He has never had good K:BB numbers (even today).

Everything is not as the Tribune says.


Your are right, now I recall somebody on the Score saying this a while back.

Still Patterson has got it going now, hope Joe can do the same.

NC_sox_fan
07-06-2003, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by hose
BATTERS G AB R H TB 2B 3B HR RBI SH SF HP BB IB SO SB CS DP AVG OBP SLG

*Reed, Jeremy 16 64 15 32 47 4 1 3 8 0 0 0 4 2 5 7 4 1 .500 .529 .734


From what you have seen of Reed do you project him as a lead off hitter with gap power?

I know he is fast enough to steal and bats left handed, how would you rate his outfield play?

Future Sox outfield will be able to go get'em with Anderson , Reed, and( Brochard?) Maggs.


Reed, as you know, was in Winston-Salem just half the season. He is very adaptable, plays all-out and could probably be a good lead off hitter. His outfield play is best at the corners where he truly shines. I don't think the Sox need to send him to Charlotte just yet. I would expect him to finish the year in Birmingham, then maybe the Sox would give him a late-season call up to see what he's got.

Borchard is NOT a fluke. If the Sox would have treated him like any other new draftee and left him in the lower minors a season, I don't believe he would be having any problems. They rushed Joe (imagine that!!) and now he's paying the price. Joe has everything he needs to make it. He just needs time to get there.

oheeoh...magglio
07-06-2003, 12:50 PM
[i]and Jeremy Reed knocked out four hits of his own to raise his batting average to an unbelievable .500 (32-for-62). Reed extended his hitting-streak to a team leading 13 games with his first inning single and has now hit in 15 of the 16 games he has played as a Baron. [/B]

WOW that is amazing, i wonder if he will get called up?? And just for the record, 32 for 62 is over .500....

kermittheefrog
07-06-2003, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by oheeoh...magglio
WOW that is amazing, i wonder if he will get called up?? And just for the record, 32 for 62 is over .500....

It's a typo. He is 32 for 64.

oheeoh...magglio
07-06-2003, 01:39 PM
oh ok...well whatever it is...hitting .500 in 62 or 64 at bats is amazing at any level of baseball...heck even little league...

sox_fan_forever
07-06-2003, 01:47 PM
Wow, that's awesome.

soxtalker
07-06-2003, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by NC_sox_fan
Borchard is NOT a fluke. If the Sox would have treated him like any other new draftee and left him in the lower minors a season, I don't believe he would be having any problems. They rushed Joe (imagine that!!) and now he's paying the price. Joe has everything he needs to make it. He just needs time to get there.

Brings up an interesting question about the Sox overall treatment of minor leaguers. NC_sox_fan, from your perspective (and maybe that of the fans in our minor league teams), do the Sox generally mismanage their minor leaguers? Or was Borchard a special case (perhaps out of necessity).

spanishwhite
07-06-2003, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by soxtalker
Brings up an interesting question about the Sox overall treatment of minor leaguers. NC_sox_fan, from your perspective (and maybe that of the fans in our minor league teams), do the Sox generally mismanage their minor leaguers? Or was Borchard a special case (perhaps out of necessity).

The Sox have a history of rushing the "top prospects" they in turn struggle and take more time than usual to mature. The mid-level prospects were generally managed well.

Recently, top prospects have been taken more slower and given more time (ie Honel)

I think that Scheuler was a big reason for this.

jeremyb1
07-06-2003, 03:21 PM
he's absolutely incredible. i don't know what else to say. if he keeps this up he's going to be an incredibly valuable asset on our major league club in the near future.

Chisoxfn
07-06-2003, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by spanishwhite
The Sox have a history of rushing the "top prospects" they in turn struggle and take more time than usual to mature. The mid-level prospects were generally managed well.

Recently, top prospects have been taken more slower and given more time (ie Honel)

I think that Scheuler was a big reason for this.

Well Schueler is who rushed them. Williams has continued to go with the approach that he wants to stop rushing these guys and start moving them through the systems much more slowly.

I think on the most part the most you'll see a guy move is from A ball to AA or if he is repeating A Ball he may go from A to AA in a month and then around midseason move to AAA if he's putting up amazing numbers.

On the most part they are pretty much giving guys full seasons or at least half a season at a level.

Daver
07-06-2003, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by hose
Do you think Brochard is a bust ?



I don't see how anyone can call him a bust this early in his pro career,especially since he has been playing with tendinitis in his wrist almost all season long.

He will be back in ST next season to fight for a roster spot on the Major League club.

NC_sox_fan
07-06-2003, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by soxtalker
Brings up an interesting question about the Sox overall treatment of minor leaguers. NC_sox_fan, from your perspective (and maybe that of the fans in our minor league teams), do the Sox generally mismanage their minor leaguers? Or was Borchard a special case (perhaps out of necessity).

I have never been impressed with the way the Sox manage the players in their minor league system. Before the Sox moved their team to Winston-Salem, they were in Potomac (in our league). We were always glad to see them come to town because we knew we could beat them. They always had the least talent in the league.

Since the Sox came here, in 1997, we have had ONE team make it to the play-offs (1998). The reason? Any good players we ever got here were promoted quickly to Birmingham.

I hope the Sox have learned the error of their ways. Only time will tell. (I personally have my doubts.)

If any of you read Baseball America, the current issue has a great article about the Pirates' farm system and their philosophy about winning teams. It's very interesting.

delben91
07-07-2003, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by NC_sox_fan

The game report also said the Enemencio Pacheco "pitched seven solid innings giving up just one run on six hits while striking out a season-high eight batters".


Pacheco's been having a pretty solid year. The Sox picked him up from Colorado for Sandy in the trade deadline deal last year right? Any chance he'll turn into anything, or is he too old? lacking in raw talents? or even something else?

DonkeyKongerko
07-07-2003, 01:59 PM
Has it been a trend for the Sox to rush the hitting prospects and slow down the pitching ones? Or do they rush them all the same?

It seems to me we are being very deliberate with our new crop of young pitching talent in guys like Cotts, Honel, and even Rauch to a degree (although the injury played a part).

I think it is harder to develop consistent starting pitchers than a decent major league hitter but a guy like Borchard is almost raw talent having not played organized baseball before. He needs to learn ALOT about patience at the plate because I know the power is there. I saw it with my own eyes when he hit that HR in Toronto last year. Man that was a bomb.