PDA

View Full Version : Quote Of The Day 7/6

Lip Man 1
07-06-2003, 01:11 AM
I didn't think we would take them lightly. But the intensity is obviously not the same as it was."-- Tony Graffinino to the Chicago Tribune.

GOOD teams don't go 12-12 (after a 9-2 start) against Detroit, Cleveland, San Diego and Tampa Bay for the season.

This is an interesting quote and I'm wondering who's to blame for the lack of continued intensity?

Is it the players, after all they know what their job is.

or is it the manager, who's constant 'tinkering" causes the players to wonder what's going on from day to day and effect their focus and intensity.

Any thoughts?

Lip

ilsox7
07-06-2003, 06:40 AM
In a perfect world, each and every player would be responsible for getting themselves motivated to play at a high level. This is no perfect world however, and these are not perfect players (none are). Therefore, it's the responsibility of the team leaders to instill a level of intensity in the team. While guys like Frank and Jose need to be a part of the this, the main leader of the team is supposed to be manuel. However, he seems to fail miserably when it comes to preapring his team for anything, whether it be bunting, throwing to the right base, or attitude.

I sure as hell hope the Sox go on to BIG things this year. But if they do, I really and truly believe it will despite their manager, not because of him.

MarqSox
07-06-2003, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
[B]
This is an interesting quote and I'm wondering who's to blame for the lack of continued intensity?

How about whoever the hell owns the Devil Rays. The fact that I don't even know says volumes ... I mean, let's face it, Tampa Bay is tough to get passionate about beating.

voodoochile
07-06-2003, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by MarqSox
How about whoever the hell owns the Devil Rays. The fact that I don't even know says volumes ... I mean, let's face it, Tampa Bay is tough to get passionate about beating.

They are? Why? Aren't they a MLB team? If you have to be worked up to beat a team, then you have problems anyway, but ultimately it comes back to the manager if his team has big let downs against mediocre teams.

RKMeibalane
07-06-2003, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
They are? Why? Aren't they a MLB team? If you have to be worked up to beat a team, then you have problems anyway, but ultimately it comes back to the manager if his team has big let downs against mediocre teams.

This whole mess is yet another reason why Manuel needs to be fired. The team itself has become so much like him that they are now sleeping through games against "lesser" opponents.

B. Diddy
07-06-2003, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
If you have to be worked up to beat a team, then you have problems anyway, but ultimately it comes back to the manager if his team has big let downs against mediocre teams.

I agree with that statement.

When he was hired, a patient, laid-back manager like Manuel was the right guy for the job of managing young players. They were going to lose a lot of games because they lacked experience/talent and some hothead barking in their faces would've been counter-productive.

However, I don't think he's the man for the job anymore. Manuel often gives one the impression that he doesn't really care (e.g., not arguing poorly-made calls with umps earier this season). These guys are underachieving BIG TIME and need a fiery type like Piniella to give them a good kick in the ass.