PDA

View Full Version : Black Jersey Taboo

A.T. Money
07-05-2003, 11:14 PM
Maybe I'm the only one that notices this, but it seems like everytime we wear the black jersey, we play like crap and lose. Mark Buerhle was selecting the black jersey for every start and went on that horrible losing streak, then he switched to pinstripes and won. Notice he hasn't gone back to the black jersey since? Colon loves the black jersey, and even though he wore the vest jersey against the Cubs, we won the game. He pitched with black during game 1 of this Tampa series, and then we lose.

My point here is that we've worn the black jersey this season a whole lot more than any other season I can remember. It's a good jersey, but it's an ALTERNATE, and meant to serve as an ALTERNATE. Loaiza, Buehrle and Colon have been selecting it constantly, and it just seems like it's been bad luck for our team.

Call me crazy, but I just notice little things like this. Maybe it's time to get away from the black jersey for a while. Our track record in 2003 shows that it puts us on a winning streak when we don't wear it.

oheeoh...magglio
07-05-2003, 11:36 PM
I agree soxdemon, i notice things like that too. Any bad karma like that shouldn't be messed with, and the black jersey's should be 86'ed until further notice. I remember in the mid 90's when the bulls almost won every game, and then they all of a sudden couldn't win when they premeired their black road jerseys, well they couldn't win in the black jerseys. After that, u really never saw them wear them again, and 3 nba titles later, u see why karma and superstition are more than rediculous and pure coincidence....

voodoochile
07-05-2003, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by oheeoh...magglio
I agree soxdemon, i notice things like that too. Any bad karma like that shouldn't be messed with, and the black jersey's should be 86'ed until further notice. I remember in the mid 90's when the bulls almost won every game, and then they all of a sudden couldn't win when they premeired their black road jerseys, well they couldn't win in the black jerseys. After that, u really never saw them wear them again, and 3 nba titles later, u see why karma and superstition are more than rediculous and pure coincidence....

Only because the players themselves believe it, not because it actually has some deeper significance. If your team believes a uniform is cursed than they will play poorly in them, thus filfilling their own belief structure.

oheeoh...magglio
07-05-2003, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Only because the players themselves believe it, not because it actually has some deeper significance. If your team believes a uniform is cursed than they will play poorly in them, thus filfilling their own belief structure.

i'm not saying THAT IS THE REASON THEY LOST, i'm just kinda stirring the pot that's all, i mean lord knows the reason we lost ot tampa bay can't be cuz they are better than us....right??? :?:

voodoochile
07-05-2003, 11:52 PM
i'm not saying THAT IS THE REASON THEY LOST, i'm just kinda stirring the pot that's all, i mean lord knows the reason we lost ot tampa bay can't be cuz they are better than us....right??? :?:

Lou is better than Jerry. The Sox played like crap. I'll go that far. I can't believe it is because the Sox are cursed when they wear one uniform instead of another...

oheeoh...magglio
07-05-2003, 11:55 PM
Lou is better than Jerry.

ANYONE is better than Jerry.

A.T. Money
07-05-2003, 11:59 PM
Lou is better than Jerry. The Sox played like crap. I'll go that far. I can't believe it is because the Sox are cursed when they wear one uniform instead of another...

It's just an observation. It just seems like we play crappy when we wear the black jerseys, that's all.

WinningUgly!
07-06-2003, 12:02 AM
ANYONE is better than Jerry.

I have to disagree, as long as this man is still alive...
http://www.canadianbaseballnews.com/Septeleven/terbevfl.jpg

oheeoh...magglio
07-06-2003, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!

i stand corrected....
:)

VeeckAsInWreck
07-06-2003, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!

What the hell is Bevington doing in that picture?
I bet he was trying to catch his own tail again!

doublem23
07-06-2003, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by VeeckAsInWreck
What the hell is Bevington doing in that picture?
I bet he was trying to catch his own tail again!

Checking to make sure there's a lefty warming up? :?:

whitesoxwilkes
07-06-2003, 04:36 PM
Somewhat off topic, but interesting to note--Every time I've worn my '83 Sox hat to a game, they've lost. Wore it to both games in TB this weekend...and guess what? Left it in the backseat of my rental car! Never again shall the Sox suffer from bad hat karma when I'm around.

Twins8791
07-06-2003, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by SoxDemon
Colon loves the black jersey...
It's a slimming color!

:bcolon
Hey! You looking at my gut? Well, I'm working on it!!!!

voodoochile
07-06-2003, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Twins8791
It's a slimming color!

:bcolon
Hey! You looking at my gut? Well, I'm working on it!!!!

Um, this is trolling. If you have something to add to the conversation other than, Bartolo is fat, please feel free.

SouthSideHitman
07-06-2003, 06:09 PM
Well Bueherle went with today and won, so I've got no complaints. If it helps the pitcher mentally in any way then I'm for it.

However I'd like to see it less because I think that the Sox' regular jerseys look so much better than the alternates. I mean the black is a nice change of pace once a week but the regular pinstripes or road grey are much better looking. The "cutoff" ones would be nice if the slevers weren't sown onto the jerseys. Why'd they change those after 2001 :?:

Paulwny
07-06-2003, 07:37 PM
I don't understand why during the season the sox the sox wear black on a hot sunny Sunday afternoon. I would think, even though these are light weight shirts, that there would be an effect on the pitchers endurance.

VeeckAsInWreck
07-06-2003, 10:08 PM
:litasoxthong
"I led the Sox to victory thanks to my lucky thong!"

SluggersAway
07-06-2003, 11:06 PM
you're crazy.

A.T. Money
07-06-2003, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by SouthSideHitman
Well Bueherle went with today and won, so I've got no complaints. If it helps the pitcher mentally in any way then I'm for it.

However I'd like to see it less because I think that the Sox' regular jerseys look so much better than the alternates. I mean the black is a nice change of pace once a week but the regular pinstripes or road grey are much better looking. The "cutoff" ones would be nice if the slevers weren't sown onto the jerseys. Why'd they change those after 2001 :?:

I'm told that the reason they switched to the one piece black sleeve is because the black shirts that were under the vests would get heavy if the players started sweating. So apparently the players didn't like them anymore. As a result, they made them one piece so they can still keep the look.

I own a vest jersey. I think the 2-piece is much nicer.