PDA

View Full Version : Could be worse...

WinningUgly!
07-05-2003, 09:52 PM
KC & Minnesota both lost. A missed opportunity, but at least we didn't lose any ground.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-05-2003, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
KC & Minnesota both lost. A missed opportunity, but at least we didn't lose any ground.

I feel better already. Now somebody tell me the Flubs lost, too.

:bandance:

WinningUgly!
07-05-2003, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
I feel better already. Now somebody tell me the Flubs lost, too.

:bandance:

They did...yesterday. I wish I could tell you they did today. :whiner:

duke of dorwood
07-05-2003, 09:57 PM
In my opinion we did lose ground. Other teams will beat this team-we wont get those 2 games against them back.

Lip Man 1
07-05-2003, 10:06 PM
Duke:

EXCELLENT point!

Tomorrow Tampa Bay starts another "no name" pitcher who has yet to win a game in the major leagues.

Wanna bet he gets #1 tomorrow?????

Lip

gosox41
07-05-2003, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Duke:

EXCELLENT point!

Tomorrow Tampa Bay starts another "no name" pitcher who has yet to win a game in the major leagues.

Wanna bet he gets #1 tomorrow?????

Lip

:jerry
This gives me the perfect oppportunity to do some tinkering. I sat Magglio today. Frank wants to be an All Star so I'll rest him tomorrow in case he does make the July 15 All Star Game. I want him ready for that. I may also sit Roberto Alomar because I need him rested for next season. Free agency takes a lot of energy. Let me know if I missed any other hot bats I can take out of the line up so I can help make a rookie pitcher for the D-Rays in to Cy Young.

Bob

mike squires
07-05-2003, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
This gives me the perfect oppportunity to do some tinkering. I sat Magglio today. Frank wants to be an All Star so I'll rest him tomorrow in case he does make the July 15 All Star Game. I want him ready for that. I may also sit Roberto Alomar because I need him rested for next season. Free agency takes a lot of energy. Let me know if I missed any other hot bats I can take out of the line up so I can help make a rookie pitcher for the D-Rays in to Cy Young.

Bob

It seems like Maggs gets many days off. I realize he wasn't feeling well last week but for being one of your top two caliber players he needs to be in there everyday (especially at this point in the season) the all star break is coming up, he can get his rest then...damn!

TornLabrum
07-05-2003, 10:19 PM

"In answer to the many queries as to why I rested Magglio and Crede today. It's been a long hard grind. They haven't had a day off since Thursday and won't have another one until Monday. Then it's a whole week after that until the All-Star Break. I just have to get these guys some rest."

RKMeibalane
07-05-2003, 10:34 PM
Jerry Manuel is obsessed with the idea of resting his players. He gave Frank Thomas two days off in less than one week's time, and Magglio Ordonez has been in and out of the lineup for the past three weeks. What the hell is going on here?

Al Hrabosky, the St. Louis Cardinals television analyst, worked the Fox Saturday Baseball Game of the Week this afternoon. He made an excellent point about baseball players being "creatures of habit." In other words, once a player settles into a routine, it is difficult for him to adapt to additonal changes.

My question is, why hasn't Manuel realized this? He should know by now that the Sox regulars must be in the lineup every day. They have time off during the natural course of the season. There is no reason to keep benching them. Countless players have appeared in 162 games in the past. Earlier in his career, Frank appeared in every game of a particular season. His numbers turned out fine. Why is Manuel so concerned with giving him additional rest?

Jerry Manuel is killing the Chicago White Sox with his endless tinkering. When is he going to get through his thick skull that he must play his best players in order to win? This is absolutely ridiculous. It's not surprising that this team is so inconsistent offensively. Nobody knows what his role is anymore. One day, Joe Crede is playing third base. The next, he's back on the bench, and Tony Graffanino has replaced him in the starting lineup.

Manuel's days in Chicago are numbered. Even if the Sox make the post-season, I don't think JM will last through 2004. You can only catch lightning in a bottle so many times. The Sox aren't going to win anything until they have a manager who knows how run a team on daily basis.

In closing, I would like each of you to try out a game I have developed. It is called, "Find the Idiot." To find the idiot, follow the line by scrolling downward:

START HERE--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------KEEP GOING-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ALMOST THERE-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------:jerry CONGRATULATIONS! YOU FOUND HIM!

Lip Man 1
07-06-2003, 01:41 AM
Once Manager Gandhi is gone based on the history of this organization, we'll get another "no name" (read : cheap)manager who'll be learning on the job.

Fact: The last manager hired by the Sox who had previous experience managing in the major leagues was Jeff Torborg (I think that was 88 or 89)

Lip

Brian26
07-06-2003, 03:02 AM
Fregosi left after the '88 season. Torborg took over in '89 and guided the Sox to that amazing 2nd half finish and excellent 1990 season. Sox had, I believe, the 2nd best record in the AL in the 2nd half of '89, but still finished in last place.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-06-2003, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Brian26
Fregosi left after the '88 season. Torborg took over in '89 and guided the Sox to that amazing 2nd half finish and excellent 1990 season. Sox had, I believe, the 2nd best record in the AL in the 2nd half of '89, but still finished in last place.

I believe you're right. Fregosi was hired by Hawk and had managerial experience but no success with the sad sack Sox. Torborg had limited experience before being hired by Himes, and became known as a player's manager. The Sox spent the entire 1989 season in last place, but won 94 games in 1990. So naturally Reinsdorf had to fire Himes. His excuse was that nobody liked him. (Physician, heal thyself.)

Schueler comes in as GM and suddenly Torborg isn't quite so welcome around the front office. When the job managing the Mets opened at the conclusion of the '91 season. Schueler calls Torborg and says, "Great news! The Mets want to talk to you!" Torborg states, "Hey I'm from New Jersey, but I want to stay here. I was with this team in the dark days and I want to be here for the good part." And then Schueler replies, "Well, maybe you ought to talk to them anyway."

Message received. Torborg took the Mets job.

The Sox wanted Leyland from Pittsburgh. How ironic--it was Leyland who was LaRussa's top lieutenant with the Winning Ugly Sox in '83 that the Hawkeroo chased off in '86.

:hawk
"Mercy!"

Of course the Pirates won't let the Sox talk to Leyland, but offer up his third base coach instead, a nobody named Gene Lamont. That was before the 1992 season. Next came Bevington in 1995, and then Manuel in 1998. The Sox have gone 12 seasons with managers learning on the job.

B. Diddy
07-06-2003, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
In my opinion we did lose ground. Other teams will beat this team-we wont get those 2 games against them back.

TB took 2/3 from Boston prior to this series, so I'm not so sure that other teams will just come in and automatically walk all over them.

That said, they're probably playing over their heads now. Hopefull they won't be when we play them again later this month.

TornLabrum
07-06-2003, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by B. Diddy
TB took 2/3 from Boston prior to this series, so I'm not so sure that other teams will just come in and automatically walk all over them.

That said, they're probably playing over their heads now. Hopefull they won't be when we play them again later this month.

Or if you listened to Piniella in yesterday's pre-game interview, the Rays are in the process of weeding out the players who aren't winners and replacing them with players who are capable of winning.