PDA

View Full Version : Worst Loss of the Year

Konerkoholic
07-05-2003, 08:14 PM
I am physically sick after this one. To Miguel Olivo: I don't care if you threw out 3 runners. that was the worst at-bat I have ever seen in my life. I don't know why they don't hit crappy pitching? DJ always says it's because they've never seen him before. Bulls***. You think the Red Sox give a damn if they've never seen some AAA call-up before? HEll no. They're licking their chops. Does the team not get up for series against bad teams? I dread games against bottom feeders more than the Yankees and Red Sox because our hitters are always making garbage pitchers (a converted outfielder for Christ's sake) and making them look like Pedro Martinez. No excuses for this one. They blew a chance to get the game back from KC and Minnesota, and they don't do it. I hate this.

Viva Magglio
07-05-2003, 08:17 PM
Just for this, Manuel is right back on my hotseat.

Konerkoholic
07-05-2003, 08:21 PM
I just can't believe that Olivo at-bat. Clearly the guy was going to give Olivo a steady diet of breaking balls outside. After Miguel swings at ball 4 the first time, why not ask the ump if it was a ball and lay off the next time it comes? He swung at ball 4 twice. If he lays off, tie game, and Alomar comes to the plate. Totally different ballgame. They tried to give the game away. It was simply the worst at bat ever.

gosox41
07-05-2003, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Konerkoholic
I just can't believe that Olivo at-bat. Clearly the guy was going to give Olivo a steady diet of breaking balls outside. After Miguel swings at ball 4 the first time, why not ask the ump if it was a ball and lay off the next time it comes? He swung at ball 4 twice. If he lays off, tie game, and Alomar comes to the plate. Totally different ballgame. They tried to give the game away. It was simply the worst at bat ever.

I caught the end of the game so I just had 2 quick questions:

1. Why wasn't Ordonez starting? The excuse better be he was hurt or sick becuase anything else and it adds to my long list of why JM should be fired.

2. JM mentioned playing Paulie all weekend against Tampa. Am I missing something or has Paulie not had one at bat so far this series?

Bob

chisox56
07-05-2003, 08:58 PM
Olivo played horrible today. Along with the at bat where he swung on 3-1 at a pitch almost in the dirt and then struck out, he had a horrible throw to third base on a bunt, when he clearly should have thrown it to first. Daubach also struck out in the ninth on a pitch almost in the dirt. This team is swinging at bad pitches and swinging to much on the first pitch.

Konerkoholic
07-05-2003, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
I caught the end of the game so I just had 2 quick questions:

1. Why wasn't Ordonez starting? The excuse better be he was hurt or sick becuase anything else and it adds to my long list of why JM should be fired.

2. JM mentioned playing Paulie all weekend against Tampa. Am I missing something or has Paulie not had one at bat so far this series?

Bob

1.A good hitter was given yet another day off for no good reason. If Maggs was hurt, he sure covered it up well because he crushed a HR in the 9th.

2.Maybe he'll play tomorrow. Still, I don't see Paulie doing any better with the bases loaded and nobody out than our Valentin, Graffy, and Olivo did today.

Konerkoholic
07-05-2003, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by chisox56
Olivo played horrible today. Along with the at bat where he swung on 3-1 at a pitch almost in the dirt and then struck out, he had a horrible throw to third base on a bunt, when he clearly should have thrown it to first. Daubach also struck out in the ninth on a pitch almost in the dirt. This team is swinging at bad pitches and swinging to much on the first pitch.

They also take too many pitches that are right there, and they try to bunt for base hits too much.

konerkopeachy
07-05-2003, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by Konerkoholic
They also take too many pitches that are right there, and they try to bunt for base hits too much.

Especially when this team *can't* bunt to save their lives....

jeremyb1
07-05-2003, 09:10 PM

because he doesn't have the endurance of the numerous players in the league that play 162 games ever season.

this loss is not a big deal. we left 25 guys on base. that's nearly impossible. clearly there was simply a lot of bad luck involved. i don't think we could hit this bad with runners in scoring position more than a few times a season if we tried. games like this happen, there isn't that much you can do. what is preventable is games like yesterday's. you simply have to put credible pitchers in the pen and be able to count on them when the games on the line. we haven't had that this season and its cost us a lot of games. its yesterday's game that is the overwhelming reason we lost this series.

TornLabrum
07-05-2003, 09:25 PM
Now I admit the '50s were a long time ago, but back then the manager used to have the third base coach use something called a "take sign." If the pitcher was wild, and the manager did not want the hitter to swing on a bad pitch, he would give the batter this "take sign." Often they would keep giving this "take sign" until the batter had two strikes on him, and it was often effective in getting men on base by something called a "base on balls." (I think Frank Thomas may have heard of this unusual way of getting on base.)

Apparently the "take sign" and "base on balls" have gone the way of the dodo bird.

RKMeibalane
07-05-2003, 09:56 PM

Take whatever comes out JM's mouth with a grain of salt. What he says and what he does are two different things. Many times, Manuel has said that something is or isn't going to happen, and in reality, the opposite has occured. I wouldn't be surprised if Konerko didn't play until the team got to Detroit. Jerry Manuel is clueless on how to manage a ballclub.

sox_fan_forever
07-05-2003, 10:25 PM
There goes my personal winning streak for nights when I work.... :(:

Seriously though, I am awfully glad I missed this game. If I hadn't I have a feeling I'd be in a really bad mood right now.

Thunderstruck30
07-06-2003, 12:05 AM
Its either they swing at crappy pitches in the dirt, or they watch strike 3 go right down the middle waist high. Does Greg Walker do anything?

Lip Man 1
07-06-2003, 12:20 AM
"there was simply a lot of bad luck involved."

"Luck is the residual of design..." Branch Rickey

"It sounds like the welp of a beaten cur..." Ban Johnson

It's not luck friends and neighbors. This tendency to leave boatloads of men on base and to get beat by pitchers who should be in double A has been going on for the past few years.

There's an old saying. If something happens once it's an accident. Twice, it's a fluke. Three times (or more) you've got a problem.

How many times have the Sox lost to bad pitchers the past season and a half alone? By the way Tampa starts a guy 0-3 Sunday who I don't think has ever won a big league game.

Be afraid, be VERY afraid.

The point was brought up in another thread... what EXACTLY is the advance scouting staff doing? (probably the same as the Sox crack medical corps...)

Lip

jeremyb1
07-06-2003, 02:12 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
[B]How many times have the Sox lost to bad pitchers the past season and a half alone? By the way Tampa starts a guy 0-3 Sunday who I don't think has ever won a big league game.

Be afraid, be VERY afraid.

The point was brought up in another thread... what EXACTLY is the advance scouting staff doing? (probably the same as the Sox crack medical corps...)

i don't think its accurate to compare this club a month ago with today's club. we've acquired two players that make a huge impact according to many fans and more importantly we've been scoring runs lately. we weren't hitting anyone a month ago and we certainly weren't stranding 25 runners because we weren't putting anyone on base. personally i thought sosa was throwing the ball pretty well but that's besides the point because we did hit him plenty, we just didn't hit him when it counted and putting on 25 men yet failing to get a hit with runners in scoring position through the first 8 innings does not occur without bad luck figuring into the equation.

DonkeyKongerko
07-06-2003, 02:35 AM
Olivo has been swinging at that slider in the dirt all year. So far I've seen little improvement. Carlos is being impatient again too. These guys just have these bad habits and they cannot seem to shake them.