PDA

View Full Version : Keep Konerko?

guillen4life13
07-05-2003, 06:01 PM
Keep him?

JRIG
07-05-2003, 06:06 PM
That contract KW gave him will kill the team if he can't get out from under it. Already for next year Mags will make $14 mil, Thomas, I think, will be at $7 mil, Buehrle is arb. eligible, Loaiza's option is 3.5 mil. and we owe Koch about $6 million. Plus, there will be holes to fill at 2B and SS.

ilsox7
07-05-2003, 06:07 PM
Just a note: Thomas' option is a mutual option, if I'm not mistaken. So he may or may not be back for that price.

JRIG
07-05-2003, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by ilsox7
Just a note: Thomas' option is a mutual option, if I'm not mistaken. So he may or may not be back for that price.

I think (someone correct me on this if I'm not) that it's $7 million if the Sox exercise the option and $5 million if Thomas decides to come back.

ilsox7
07-05-2003, 06:27 PM
I think (someone correct me on this if I'm not) that it's $7 million if the Sox exercise the option and $5 million if Thomas decides to come back.

That sounds right to me. My bad. Thanks :)

jeremyb1
07-05-2003, 10:53 PM
in the theoretical situation in which we could get a team to take his contract off our hands without taking any bad contracts in return i think you'd have to do it. we can use the money from his salary to go out and sign another player next offseason so outside of potentially losing draft picks for compensation and any help paully could provide for the remainder of this season we have absolutely nothing to lose. it'd be hard to argue his value exceeds the money we're giving him in his contract.

WinningUgly!
07-05-2003, 11:12 PM
2001-2002 was Konerko's peak. I don't see anyway he puts up those kinds of numbers again. Even if he does, it's not like those numbers are really much better than average for a 1st baseman anyway. There are plenty of "scrapheap" 1st basemen available every offseason that are capable of putting up numbers comparable to those of Paul Konerko. It's stupid tying up megabucks in PK. If the Sox are able to unload him & his fat contract for a quality SP or a solid arm in the pen, it'll be a good thing...now & even more so next year.