PDA

View Full Version : Joe Blanton...

MarkEdward
07-05-2003, 03:31 PM
So, why didn't we draft him again?

First, his 2003 numbers for the Kane County Cougars: 104 IP, 2.86 ERA, 18 BB, 103 K, 4 HR.
K/9: 8.9
BB/9: 1.6
HR/9: .3

Second, I thought the Sox weren't going to touch Blanton because of signability issues. However, Royce Ring got a 1.6 million dollar bonus, while Blanton only got a 1.4 million dollar signing bonus. So what gives? Was this all just a big miscalculation by Williams?

oheeoh...magglio
07-05-2003, 04:02 PM
you have a good point on the money...but does it really matter?? Ring ended up traded anyway, so blanton would have likely suffered the same fate, otherwise i could see your beef because blanton in that situation likely would have been a better pick nad ring

oheeoh...magglio
07-05-2003, 04:03 PM
better pick than ring*

kermittheefrog
07-05-2003, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
So, why didn't we draft him again?

First, his 2003 numbers for the Kane County Cougars: 104 IP, 2.86 ERA, 18 BB, 103 K, 4 HR.
K/9: 8.9
BB/9: 1.6
HR/9: .3

Second, I thought the Sox weren't going to touch Blanton because of signability issues. However, Royce Ring got a 1.6 million dollar bonus, while Blanton only got a 1.4 million dollar signing bonus. So what gives? Was this all just a big miscalculation by Williams?

The story I've heard (some of it from Moneyball) is that Williams and Beane both wanted Blanton but Beane picked first. Beane was going for Nick Swisher all the way but at one point Beane knew the Mets were planning on taking Swicher ahead of him. So Beane told Kenny that Blanton wouldn't fall to Kenny. Kenny then makes a deal with Ring. However the Mets end up taking Kazmir who fell lower than expected. The A's then take Swisher instead of Blanton. So Blanton falls to the Sox but they've already made a deal with Ring. They take Ring and Blanton falls to the A's.

gosox41
07-05-2003, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
The story I've heard (some of it from Moneyball) is that Williams and Beane both wanted Blanton but Beane picked first. Beane was going for Nick Swisher all the way but at one point Beane knew the Mets were planning on taking Swicher ahead of him. So Beane told Kenny that Blanton wouldn't fall to Kenny. Kenny then makes a deal with Ring. However the Mets end up taking Kazmir who fell lower than expected. The A's then take Swisher instead of Blanton. So Blanton falls to the Sox but they've already made a deal with Ring. They take Ring and Blanton falls to the A's.

I hate those predraft deals. KW messed up and should have kept his options open. I don't recall how the exact story happened, but KW was deked by Beane again.

Bob

WillieHarris12
07-05-2003, 09:32 PM
People shouldn't listen to Beane. He's an idiot.

gosox41
07-05-2003, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by WillieHarris12

More likely it's the people that listen to Beane that are the idiots. Beane is thinking 3 steps ahead of a guy like KW.

Bob

doublem23
07-06-2003, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by WillieHarris12

The fact is he has kept the A's very competitive on a very tight budget. Say all you will about the fact that he's got three stud pitchers, but as the Sox are proving this year, good pitching alone won't do you jack **** without an offense. Welcome to the American League.