PDA

View Full Version : 4 1/2 Now!


Lip Man 1
07-04-2003, 10:09 PM
Dammit, the Royals won 9-8. They spotted detroit 3 in the first then hammered them!

4 1/2 back and that's not good.

Saving grace is we still play K.C. 12 more times but that's a big gap.

Lip

TommyJohn
07-04-2003, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Dammit, the Royals won 9-8. They spotted detroit 3 in the first then hammered them!

4 1/2 back and that's not good.

Saving grace is we still play K.C. 12 more times but that's a big gap.

Lip

Nice to see you're so optimistic, Lip but I've got news for you.
As long as Billy "money" Koch is out there in the ninth, this team
is going nowhere fast. And that is exactly where this team will
end up-nowhere.

Jurr
07-04-2003, 11:02 PM
#1..four and a half games back is nothing. Get real. It's july for God's sake.

#2...Billy Koch will probably lose his closer's job to Marte now. So, good comes out of a bad thing. No big deal. We're going to dominate this trip, and we'll be fine.

MHOUSE
07-04-2003, 11:10 PM
We sweep the Twins and then have an incredibly easy 10-game trip to the break. We need to win at least 2 games each from Tampa and Detroit and win 2 or 3 from Cleveland. A 6-4 record on this road trip seems to me as what would be the most likely if we keep playing well. If we win all 3 series then even better. But losing one-run games to Tampa Bay, especially with a 3-1 lead in the ninth is unacceptable. Koch needs to get it together, or Marte needs to be named closer.

Nellie_Fox
07-05-2003, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by TommyJohn
Nice to see you're so optimistic, Lip.... I see that you're fairly new to the board, so I'll let you in on a little secret. Lip is never optimistic about the White Sox. It would ruin his hatred of management.

doublem23
07-05-2003, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Dammit, the Royals won 9-8. They spotted detroit 3 in the first then hammered them!

4 1/2 back and that's not good.

Saving grace is we still play K.C. 12 more times but that's a big gap.

Lip

One loss and Lip is back...

:chickenlittle

What a fan

If you can't handle a loss every now and then, I suggest you get a new hobby.

Brian26
07-05-2003, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
I see that you're fairly new to the board, so I'll let you in on a little secret. Lip is never optimistic about the White Sox. It would ruin his hatred of management.

Exactly.

In fact, according to Lip's inside sources: If the Sox lose 2 out of 3 to Tampa this weekend, they're going to dump payroll and trade Mags and Frank before the All-Star break. You heard it here first.

grebeck18
07-05-2003, 01:54 AM
Everyone needs to take it easy. Yeah Koch belew it but before the game the sox were unbeatable. Dont let one loss let you down. There is to much ball to be played. Ande everyone losses. Even the Cubs. HAHAHAHA.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-05-2003, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by grebeck18
Everyone needs to take it easy. Yeah Koch belew it but before the game the sox were unbeatable. Dont let one loss let you down. There is to much ball to be played. Ande everyone losses. Even the Cubs. HAHAHAHA.

My philosophy after a tough defeat:

Sox lose, Cubs lose. You break even. :smile:

If we can't get over .500 (like what happened in 2001 ), you'll hear me complaining long and hard. In the meantime we're still in the hunt. Koch blowing yesterday's game only matters if the Sox start swooning. In that case, see my philosophy above.

Viva Magglio
07-05-2003, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
My philosophy after a tough defeat:

Sox lose, Cubs lose. You break even. :smile:

As much as Sox fans take delight in the Chicago National League Ballclub's failings, the Cubs are not in our division. Kansas City and Minnesota won, they're in our division ahead of us, and that really hurt us.

gosox41
07-05-2003, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by Jurr


#2...Billy Koch will probably lose his closer's job to Marte now. So, good comes out of a bad thing. No big deal. We're going to dominate this trip, and we'll be fine.

Finally.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-05-2003, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
As much as Sox fans take delight in the Chicago National League Ballclub's failings, the Cubs are not in our division. Kansas City and Minnesota won, they're in our division ahead of us, and that really hurt us.

Well, not exactly...

I'm not one to fly off the handle after one heartbreaking loss. We all need to learn some sort of coping mechanism if we're to remain loyal Sox Fans. Ranting and raving about Koch is an obvious symptom of not having a good coping mechanism.

If we're still struggling to get over .500 a month from now, I'll join today's chorus blaming everything on Billy Koch. In the meantime, I'll take a deep breath, remember the sun came up in the east exactly as planned, another game is scheduled today (followed by another tomorrow), and remind myself why it's nice to be in the playoff hunt in July.

And look--the Cubs lost, too! Their fans get exactly what they deserve. As a Sox Fan, I appreciate that. Obviously there truly is a God keeping order in the world.

Jurr
07-05-2003, 09:57 AM
Yeah..this little loss isn't going to hurt anything. I would be surprised if we didn't come out pissed tomorrow and play with some of that focus we've been seeing, leading to a big win.

TornLabrum
07-05-2003, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by Jurr
Yeah..this little loss isn't going to hurt anything. I would be surprised if we didn't come out pissed tomorrow and play with some of that focus we've been seeing, leading to a big win.

Or, as is the Sox tradition, come out demoralized.

HawkDJ
07-05-2003, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Dammit, the Royals won 9-8. They spotted Detroit 3 in the first then hammered them!

4 1/2 back and that's not good.

Saving grace is we still play K.C. 12 more times but that's a big gap.

Lip

4 1/2 games behind a team that is very streaky and really is not that great of a team is not a big deal. I consider myself pessimistic but even I realize 4 1/2 games back at this point isn't a huge deal.

guillen4life13
07-05-2003, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by HawkDJ
4 1/2 games behind a team that is very streaky and really is not that great of a team is not a big deal. I consider myself pessimistic but even I realize 4 1/2 games back at this point isn't a huge deal.

4 1/2 games back when WE are also a very streaky team is a very worrying thing to me. :(:

gosox41
07-05-2003, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by guillen4life13
4 1/2 games back when WE are also a very streaky team is a very worrying thing to me. :(:

Me too. This team needs to prove it can play with some intensity against the bad teams. It's great to show some fire agains the Twins and Cubs. but they can't afford to play dow to their competition.

Bob

RKMeibalane
07-05-2003, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
Me too. This team needs to prove it can play with some intensity against the bad teams. It's great to show some fire agains the Twins and Cubs. but they can't afford to play dow to their competition.

Bob

I think the team itself is in good shape. Billy Koch, on the other hand, seems to have forgotten how to pitch. He is one who needs to be making adjustments out there. The rest of the roster is fine.

Lip Man 1
07-05-2003, 01:17 PM
Nellie:

Nice to see your hated of me is still alive and well.

I guess you didn't see the post a few days ago where I said Uncle Jerry and I are now square because he didn't pull a White Flag II.

I also said this organization still has many major issues as far as their relationships with the fans and the media but as long as I got the sense they were at least trying to win, I could live with them.

My point to the post was that the Royals suddenly are eight games over the .500 mark. Just about six weeks ago they were a game under and had blown a 9-0 start to the season.

Obviously they are doing something right lately.

For all the talk about the Sox are back, as PHG correctly stated they are still a game under .500. That's not being optimistic or pessamistic mearly stating the facts.

Have a nice day.

Lip

WhiteSox = Life
07-05-2003, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
I think the team itself is in good shape. Billy Koch, on the other hand, seems to have forgotten how to pitch. He is one who needs to be making adjustments out there. The rest of the roster is fine.

Koch never knew how to pitch, he just fired the ball in.

There are only two adjustments for Koch:

1. Keep him on the team and have him work with Cooper a lot, meanwhile relegating him to mop-up.

2. Put him on the DL and after, have him go to the Minors to work on his throwing... And pitching.

The former option looks a lot more likely. That is not a good thing.

voodoochile
07-05-2003, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
My point to the post was that the Royals suddenly are eight games over the .500 mark. Just about six weeks ago they were a game under and had blown a 9-0 start to the season.

Obviously they are doing something right lately.

Lip

Yeah, they started playing crappy teams... Hopefully the Sox can follow suit now that they get to play Cleveland, Detroit and TB.

oheeoh...magglio
07-05-2003, 04:07 PM
considering the fact that we have double digit games left against kc and we are 4 and a half behind them in early july with an easy schedule basically until we play them to end the month, i wouldn't worry. With all that head to head competition against them left, i can say with confidence those head to head games will decide which team finishes ahead of the other one in the standings. I personally think that kc will fade, and our bigger problem will be minnesota, who although is a flawed team, is also a dangerous team if they catch fire, which could veyr easily happen. But of course that is just my opinion....

FanOf14
07-05-2003, 04:22 PM
The fact that they may be without Sweeney for a period of time (it was reported Thursday evening - on the radio - that he is having some problems with shooting pain in his back and arm - wish him the best as that can be really scary), anywhere from a few days to the rest of the season depending on what the doctors find, that could pull the Royals down enough for us to catch and pass them.

Lip Man 1
07-05-2003, 08:22 PM
Well....the fact is they are NOT beating the crappy teams this season.

After tonight's sickening performance versus a pitcher with a record of 1-6 and an ERA of over 6 the Sox are 12-12 against Detroit, Cleveland, San Diego and Tampa Bay COMBINED

That is NOT championship effort is it?

Lip

Nellie_Fox
07-06-2003, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Nellie:

Nice to see your hated of me is still alive and well.

I guess you didn't see the post a few days ago where I said Uncle Jerry and I are now square because he didn't pull a White Flag II. No, I didn't. I did see one where you alluded to the fact that it was a typical Sox management move because it didn't cost any money, just prospects. And I saw the one where you posted your letter to the KC sportswriter; hardly looked like you and Reinsdorf are "now square" to me. The whole tone of the letter was ripping Sox management.

I don't hate you. I do, however, believe that you are only happy when the Sox are not doing well, because you don't want to be wrong about Reinsdorf.

Lip Man 1
07-06-2003, 12:32 PM
Nellie:

After rooting for this team for 42 years (I'm 47) do you realize how farcial your comment about me WANTING the Sox to lose sounds?

Uncle Jerry could care less how I feel or think, he doesn't even know me. Besides even if I don't post a thing about him there are literally hundreds of others here at WSI who feel the same way as I do and will take up the gauntlet. So it's absolutely nothing personal or something to feed my ego.

That letter to the K.C. columnist was in defense of the recent moves. Sox fans DESERVE to have a winner.....regardless of how it happens.

I was pointing out to the columnist why I fell that way. I pointed out historical facts...these things and events actually happened, they weren't made up. Most people in and out of the media feel that Uncle Jerry was directly responsible for those events.

I also stated in a post that this club STILL has serious issues with their relationships with the fans and the media but as long as I felt they were actually trying to win I could live with them.

That doesn't absolve Uncle Jerry for being the vindictive egomaniac that he is but the bottom line is winning and as long as I feel he is actually trying to do that we're square at the table.

We'll see what happens in this off season.

Lip

Paulwny
07-06-2003, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Well....the fact is they are NOT beating the crappy teams this season.

After tonight's sickening performance versus a pitcher with a record of 1-6 and an ERA of over 6 the Sox are 12-12 against Detroit, Cleveland, San Diego and Tampa Bay COMBINED

That is NOT championship effort is it?

Lip

Because of the div TB and SD play in I don't believe these are really crappy teams when compared to the al cent div.
The unbalanced sched makes some teams look worse then they are. The al cent is the crappiest div in mlb and I think any team in the al cent. has a good chance to lose when they play outside of their div.
The only reason the cent div champ will have a winning record is due to the unbalanced sched.