PDA

View Full Version : Is KW finally figuring out how to GM?

Iguana775
07-04-2003, 02:06 PM
The past year he has gotten Colon, EL, Robbie, and Everette. The only bad move he did was the Foulke deal but didnt we get Cotts in that deal? i thought we got someone good in the minors from that. But he seems to be doing a lot better job the last year.

soxtalker
07-04-2003, 02:56 PM
Colon was an impressive trade from many perspectives. Loaiza was a free agent that he took a gamble on, and it appears to have paid off handsomely.

But I wouldn't be so quick to assume that KW did a great job on the last two trades. Now, I know that the vast majority of Sox fans -- including those on this board -- and media think these are great trades. Maybe... but maybe not -- I hope so.

Aside from the question of whether they work out or not, the two trades that were just made actually remind me a lot of KW's early patterns of trading. He is quite willing to trade minor league talent for the possibility of winning now. This minor league talent that he is trading also is largely that chosen under his predecessor's regime (though he was involved). He also likes to gamble, going for the big winner. Now, his judgement may have improved or it may not have -- we will see.

One other factor that may be in play here is that KW may actually be starting to feel the heat. The cries for his job were beginning to grow pretty intense -- both from fans and the media -- just before the latest winning streak.

kevingrt
07-04-2003, 03:11 PM
Remeber he has also gotten guy like Damaso Marte, Tom Gordon, and Willie Harris. These guys aren't stars but eahc can contribute quite a lot. Flash has been our most consistent relief man and I think Marte could become a closer and become very good, because he is rather young. I also like Willie Harris a lot of the bench as of now to pinch run or do well in CF for defensive purposes. Kenny Williams has always gone out to win by getting guys like Todd Ritchie and David Wells, it just looks like now these moves are finally starting to pan out. We'll see about the Alomar and Everett trades and how well they do.

gosox41
07-05-2003, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by Iguana775
The past year he has gotten Colon, EL, Robbie, and Everette. The only bad move he did was the Foulke deal but didnt we get Cotts in that deal? i thought we got someone good in the minors from that. But he seems to be doing a lot better job the last year.

Don't forget Billy Koch.

Bob

Iguana775
07-05-2003, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
Don't forget Billy Koch.

Bob

i said that was bad.

harwar
07-05-2003, 07:03 PM
I think hes' dancing as fast as he can and just spinning in circles.I hate to be so pesimistic,but i am seeing the same bad team that i saw before 3 weeks ago.

gosox41
07-05-2003, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by Iguana775
i said that was bad.

Sorry, I missed it.

In my defense, the trade was so bad, maybe it should be mentioned twice.

Bob