PDA

View Full Version : Warthog Updates

NC_sox_fan
07-04-2003, 11:39 AM
Our ace reliever, Ryan Meaux was promoted to AA Birmingham when the team returned for its last road trip on Wednesday. No one has been sent to fill his roster spot as of yesterday.

The Warthogs won the first game of a double header against the Frederick Keys last night. They were on the losing end of a no-hitter the second game. Orioles pitcher, John Maine, just promoted from lower A Delmarva, was unhittable (he also got a little help from the home plate umpire -- his strike zone was inconsistant to say the least). Frank Francisco, winner of the first game (3-0) pitched his best game of the season, FranK gave up no runs on just one hit, one walk and eight strikeouts.

From the Carolina League weekly update:

WINSTON-SALEM...RHP KRIS HONEL gave up just two hits over seven scoreless innings (2 BB, 3 SO) in a 3-1 win at Salem June 30. Honel, the 16th overall pick in the 2001 draft, lowered his ERA to 2.44, fourth in the league through July 2. The 20-year-old Honel has allowed one earned run or fewer in 11 of his 16 career starts in the Carolina League...SS MICHAEL MORSE broke out of a 2-for-29 slump by going 3-for-4 with a pair of doubles on June 29 in a 4-3 loss at Salem. Morse was third in the league with 21 doubles through July 2...OF DAYLAN HOLT went 0-for-14 in five games June 20-29.

hose
07-04-2003, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by NC_sox_fan
Our ace reliever, Ryan Meaux was promoted to AA Birmingham when the team returned for its last road trip on Wednesday. No one has been sent to fill his roster spot as of yesterday.

The Warthogs won the first game of a double header against the Frederick Keys last night. They were on the losing end of a no-hitter the second game. Orioles pitcher, John Maine, just promoted from lower A Delmarva, was unhittable (he also got a little help from the home plate umpire -- his strike zone was inconsistant to say the least). Frank Francisco, winner of the first game (3-0) pitched his best game of the season, FranK gave up no runs on just one hit, one walk and eight strikeouts.

From the Carolina League weekly update:

WINSTON-SALEM...RHP KRIS HONEL gave up just two hits over seven scoreless innings (2 BB, 3 SO) in a 3-1 win at Salem June 30. Honel, the 16th overall pick in the 2001 draft, lowered his ERA to 2.44, fourth in the league through July 2. The 20-year-old Honel has allowed one earned run or fewer in 11 of his 16 career starts in the Carolina League...SS MICHAEL MORSE broke out of a 2-for-29 slump by going 3-for-4 with a pair of doubles on June 29 in a 4-3 loss at Salem. Morse was third in the league with 21 doubles through July 2...OF DAYLAN HOLT went 0-for-14 in five games June 20-29.

Thanks for the update NC.

delben91
07-04-2003, 01:04 PM
The more I hear about Honel, the more I like him. Anyone know his chances of getting a shot at Birmingham? I know he's only 20, and the Sox apparently have a new philosophy of not rushing prospects (especially pitchers), but it certainly seems like he's ready to step up. 16 starts may not be much, but he's been so dominant, I wonder if he's got anything left to prove in Winston-Salem.

Daver
07-04-2003, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by delben91
The more I hear about Honel, the more I like him. Anyone know his chances of getting a shot at Birmingham? I know he's only 20, and the Sox apparently have a new philosophy of not rushing prospects (especially pitchers), but it certainly seems like he's ready to step up. 16 starts may not be much, but he's been so dominant, I wonder if he's got anything left to prove in Winston-Salem.

If the Sox continue on the past handling of him he will finish the season in Winston Salem and be promoted to Birmingham next season.

NC_sox_fan
07-04-2003, 01:38 PM
Daver, you're right on. We've been told that both Honel and Wing will be here all season.

If the Sox trades don't strip us, the Hogs have a real shot at a Carolina League Championship. It would be the first since 1993. We would sure like that!