PDA

View Full Version : Kip Wells

guillen4life13
07-04-2003, 11:14 AM
Hey guys. I brought this up on another thread, and I decided it merited having its own thread.

What do you think of this?:

D'Angelo Jimenez and another player (anyone expendable whose last name is not Konerko) for Kip Wells? I would say chuck in Daubach or a mid level, not so great looking pitching prospect.

The Pirates have Jack Wilson as their SS, and I think Jimenez would be an upgrade for them. Meanwhile, we've been needing a fifth starter, and Kip and his under 3.5 ERA (albeit in the NL) would help us. Add the fact that Nardi isn't here to screw him up, and he should sustain his level of play (his ERA would probably be around 3.70-3.80 in the AL because of the DH).

I know some of you will be skeptical, but as a 5th starter... he's better than Wright. And he'll actually be signable once his contract expires (whenever that is). How does this type of rotation look anyways?

Loaiza
Colon
Buehrle
Wells
Garland

If you want to ask me, I think that's definitely a rotation that could take you to the World Series right there.

Jurr
07-04-2003, 11:25 AM
I saw him live the other night with seats right behind home plate. He was great. He hasn't had a decision in 9 straight games. He's still 2-3. The other night, he pitched 8 innings and gave up one run. Mike Williams blew the save for him, though, continuing the problems Wells has had all year- no help. He gets his curve over, challenges hitters, throws inside when needed, and he struck out Barry Larkin with a 95 m.p.h. fastball in the 8TH INNING!!!!!!!!!

:hawk

I looove transfering posts almost as much as I like them Metamucil sandwiches.

Nails
07-04-2003, 11:53 AM
It's painful to think that Kip could possibly be #4 in our rotation right now if we hadn't made that idiotic trade. I don't know what the Pirates pitching order is but he has the best ERA of all starting pitchers on that team. They would laugh at that trade.

A.T. Money
07-04-2003, 11:58 AM
I'd rather have Kris Benson than Kip Wells.

guillen4life13
07-04-2003, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by SoxDemon
I'd rather have Kris Benson than Kip Wells.

Out of curiousity... why? He has a higher ERA and is three years older (Kip is 26, Benson is 29).

Jurr
07-04-2003, 01:51 PM
That's the other thing they've been talking about on sports radio in Pittsburgh during this vacation.....how bad Kris Benson has been this year. They all concede that Kip Wells is definitely their ace...he's just been running into bad luck. Benson has been very lackluster.