PDA

View Full Version : Why I think this is the guy we're after. Not Ponson

WillieHarris12
07-04-2003, 10:45 AM
I just read this article on Yahoo. We know Hawk was probably referring to a starting pitcher. And most message boards and such were guessing a team out west. Now we know the Angels are selling. So I took a guess at Jarrod Washburn, and low and behold it says that the Angels might trade him because he doesn't want to resign with them at the end of 2005? He's an ace and it would blow my socks off to get a guy like Washburn. Anyway here is the article.
--------------------------------------
Jarrod Washburn said he will not initiate long-term contract discussions with the Angels before free agency and will not consider accepting less than market value in any proposal the team might make, a stance the Angel ace acknowledges could lead the team to trade him before he becomes eligible for free agency in 2005.

"I understand that," he told the Los Angeles Times.

"I know that's the business of the game."

Washburn rejected a long-term contract offer from the Angels two years ago and did not receive one this year. He said he no longer is interested in trading less money for the security of a guaranteed long-term deal and is prepared to accept the risk of injury or poor performance over the next two years.

"In past years, I would have taken the security and played for a discount," he said, "just for the security reason. Now, not that I don't want the security, I'm willing to go year-by-year and take my chances."

Washburn, 28, emerged as the Angel ace last season, finishing fourth in American League Cy Young Award voting and starting the first game of the playoffs and World Series. He went 18-6 with a 3.15 earned-run average, the most victories by an Angel pitcher since 1991. His career .602 winning percentage is the best in team history.

He is 7-9 this season with a 4.30 ERA.

B. Diddy
07-04-2003, 11:48 AM
His ERA is a bit higher than his past few seaons, but I think that he would be a decent addition.

siugrad25
07-04-2003, 12:38 PM
Obviously, it would be nice to have an arm like Washburn... Wonder what the Halos would want??? Or do you think this would be a multi-player trade on both ends? Washburn's numbers in the WS weren't anywhere near good, but atleast he's been there.

World Series Regular Season
G ERA W-L SV CG IP H ER BB SO | W-L IP ERA WHIP SO SV
2 9.31 0-2 0 0 9.7 12 10 7 6 | 18-6 206 3.15 1.175 139

Tragg
07-04-2003, 12:58 PM
Why do we need a starting pitcher.
Wright is fine for a #5. If we don't make the playoffs, it won't be because of SP.
And another SP WILL NOT help once in the playoffs - you only need 3.

Seems to me that we should wait, get a bullpen arm if needed - they always come cheaper than SPs.

spanishwhite
07-04-2003, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Tragg
Why do we need a starting pitcher.
Wright is fine for a #5. If we don't make the playoffs, it won't be because of SP.
And another SP WILL NOT help once in the playoffs - you only need 3.

Seems to me that we should wait, get a bullpen arm if needed - they always come cheaper than SPs.

I think the idea is to move Wright to the pen.

It makes the rotation and pen stronger.

However, has anybody seen Washburn pitch? He has the same stuff that Buehrle has uses it slightly differently.

Im hesitant about putting another Buehrle in the mix, but a lefty wouldn't hurt.