PDA

View Full Version : Sosa Slammed...


RKMeibalane
07-04-2003, 07:54 AM
...by Jay Mariotti (http://www.suntimes.com/output/mariotti/cst-spt-jay04.html), no less.

B. Diddy
07-04-2003, 11:03 AM
Having fans vote for the All Star team is stupid, especially when they're allowed to vote something like 18 times each. I'd rather see a mixture of coaches and sports writers vote ONCE each. If the game determines home field advantage for the WS now (another of Selig's stupid ideas), the voting should be done properly.

BTW, what's up with Mariotti's newfound enthusiasm for the Sox?

RKMeibalane
07-04-2003, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by B. Diddy
BTW, what's up with Mariotti's newfound enthusiasm for the Sox?

He's a front-runner. If the Sox were still struggling, he would be all over them, ripping them each week. Most of what he says should be taken with a grain of salt. The article he wrote this morning is an exception to that rule, because Sammy Sosa should not be on the All Star team.

Corkinator
07-04-2003, 03:04 PM
Jay Marriotti is my hero (today).

duke of dorwood
07-04-2003, 03:39 PM
Wonder if Corkman will exchange the racial slap on the forearm with Gary Sheffield there for all to see too. In my opinion, not enuf has been made of that cop out.

duke of dorwood
07-04-2003, 03:40 PM
He's a black eye for baseball, and I dont mean that racially.

WillieHarris12
07-04-2003, 04:07 PM
I couldn't believe this was the banner above the page.

http://ad-images.suntimes.com/RealMedia/ads/Creatives/footballfanatics.sammy/gotsosa468.gif

That's grand.

Thunderstruck30
07-05-2003, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by B. Diddy
Having fans vote for the All Star team is stupid, especially when they're allowed to vote something like 18 times each. I'd rather see a mixture of coaches and sports writers vote ONCE each. If the game determines home field advantage for the WS now (another of Selig's stupid ideas), the voting should be done properly.



I completely agree. I like being able to vote but I dont think the fans should be able to because they will vote for who they want(Sosa) and not who deserves it(Pujols). When I vote, I vote for who deserves it, with the exception of Ordonez.

jortafan
07-05-2003, 02:05 AM
I don't have any problem with fans voting, and think it would be wrong to take it away from them. I also realize the people they often pick are not the ones truly having the best season this particular season.

That is why the All-Star Game is an exhibition. It's just for show, and another reason why trying to attach meaning to it by connecting it to World Series home field advantage is wrong. It is just a show, and when I hear old National League ballplayers like Joe Morgan talk about how seriously they took the game, all I have to wonder is why those guys didn't get a life.

TornLabrum
07-05-2003, 06:08 AM
Originally posted by jortafan
I don't have any problem with fans voting, and think it would be wrong to take it away from them. I also realize the people they often pick are not the ones truly having the best season this particular season.

That is why the All-Star Game is an exhibition. It's just for show, and another reason why trying to attach meaning to it by connecting it to World Series home field advantage is wrong. It is just a show, and when I hear old National League ballplayers like Joe Morgan talk about how seriously they took the game, all I have to wonder is why those guys didn't get a life.

But it's not just an exhibition anymore. "This year it counts!" as Fox is telling us. The whims of the fans now determines home field advantage for the World Series.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-05-2003, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
But it's not just an exhibition anymore. "This year it counts!" as Fox is telling us. The whims of the fans now determines home field advantage for the World Series.

Fix the way fans vote and this problem goes away. It's good that the all-star game isn't an exhibition, and it's good that the fans have a vote in the matter. Fix it, and make it work.

I understand Scammin' Shammy Soso has been given a huge boost in the polling by Japanese and other Asian voters casting votes online. Apparently they drink with screw-off tops, don't understand the controversy, and still think Sosa is the greatest.

There are easy ways to fix these problems, if MLB would just have the cajones to do it.