PDA

View Full Version : Rumor Consolodation

doublem23
07-04-2003, 02:55 AM
I'm starting to get overwhelmed with all the rumors that have been flying around White Sox land in the last few days... So let me see if I have them all right...

1) Orioles deal SP Sidney Ponson to the Sox for Paul Konerko and maybe a prospect

2) Reds deal Ken Griffey, Jr. to the Sox for prospects? :?:

3) Miguel Tejada for Jose Valentin and prospects? :?:

4) Pedro Martinez

Did I miss any? I'll bet I did.

fquaye149
07-04-2003, 03:43 AM
i'm not exactly sure why the a's would want jose? don't they have a shortstop to replace miguel? or something?

Jurr
07-04-2003, 10:07 AM
We definitely don't want Griffey. I have been in Pittsburgh this week, and I went to see the Reds twice. Griffey is a shell of his former self. He misjudges fly balls occasionally, he is lazy (he had an opportunity for a triple due to an outfield error, but he just jogged into second...horrible)....Ken Griffey Jr. is not good enough to be on this team any more.

Lip Man 1
07-04-2003, 01:37 PM
According to various sources (I have no idea how good they are in the Chicago area)

Greg Maddux has also been mentioned.

A Yankees deal involving either Jeff Weaver, Robin Ventura or both

and one that may actually take place between the Sox and Angels involving either Troy Glaus, Troy Percival or both (of course if you do that what happens to Billy Koch?)

Lip

WillieHarris12
07-04-2003, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
According to various sources (I have no idea how good they are in the Chicago area)

and one that may actually take place between the Sox and Angels involving either Troy Glaus, Troy Percival or both (of course if you do that what happens to Billy Koch?)

Lip

Man if we got Glaus and Percival that would make this team perfect.

gosox41
07-04-2003, 02:38 PM

Lip

I would love to get rid of Koch.

Bob

Fridaythe13thJason
07-04-2003, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by WillieHarris12
Man if we got Glaus and Percival that would make this team perfect.

I agree...this team would have to become an instant top contender for the World Series in the Media's eyes.

guillen4life13
07-04-2003, 02:50 PM
Lip,

Just to make sure... is there a credible Ventura rumor going around? In another thread, I just made a hypothetical idea about the Sox getting Ventura in a 3-way deal or something, but it was just something I made up right there. I'd love it if they could get Ventura over without getting rid of Crede. He could platoon... has good playoff experience (Mets 2000, Yanks 2002, Sox of the early/mid '90's), and could mentor Joe... fielding wise, and possibly hitting wise. He also adds a LH bat to the lineup, making the lineup look like this:

2B Alomar
SS Valentin
1B Thomas
RF Ordonez
CF Everett
LF Lee
DH Konerko/Daubach
3B Ventura/Crede
C Alomar/Olivo

That puts Ventura, a #5/#6 hitter on most teams, in the 8 slot, making this probably the best offense in the Majors, and that only compliments the 3rd/4th best pitching team in the AL. Ventura is a GG caliber fielder who could mentor Crede.

Iguana775
07-04-2003, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by SoCalUIC
I agree...this team would have to become an instant top contender for the World Series in the Media's eyes.

:supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

kevingrt
07-04-2003, 04:13 PM
I haven't heard any of the Ken Griffey Jr. rumors, but I have heard of many of the others.

Couple players I would like to get: Greg Maddox, Robin Ventura, and maybe Sidney Ponson.

dougs78
07-05-2003, 11:44 AM

Lip

Are these actual people you've talked to who would know information? Or just rumors you've heard second or third hand? Sources within the media?

I'd be curious to know more about that Glaus and Washburn one.

Lip Man 1
07-05-2003, 02:04 PM
These are the names that I've heard thrown about in the Chicago media.

Like I said originally I have no idea if they are based on any typeof factual evidence.

I wouldn't consider them very reliable.

Lip