PDA

View Full Version : I hope I am not the only one....


MaggPipes
07-04-2003, 02:10 AM
Ok.....i am going to go into a rant here.....i generally do not post, i just see what you guys are talking about with all of the trade rumors and such....and i generally agree with you so i do not post....but this time i have to speak up....trading Paul Konerko is about the dumbest thing in the world......i LOVE how all of you have just jumped ship becuase of ONE half of baseball.....does anyone else remember the world beater that was Konerko inthe minors???? Oh yeah, how about last year......oh how about last night? You know, that game tying homer....the thing that made it possible for Frank to hit the walk-off......I swear trading him for Ponson--a BAD pitcher who would vbe our #5 and walk at the end of the year--is the worst move ever.....come on people....Paul Konerko will come around.....I just hope it is with us and we are not stupid.....also even if you could convince me to trade him...you don't trade him when his trade value is at an all-time low......

sorry about that....i had to get it off my chest....

be happy KW made some good moves that will help out a lot....thankfully the O's GM made a decision that will keep us in contention......

ShoelessFred
07-04-2003, 02:13 AM
KONERKO has sucked ever since the all-star break last year. i don't know if he's hurt or not, but he has been HURTING the team almost all year with his play. yes he hit a big homer last night. good job PK. maybe this gets him going. but the guy is a headcase. he's his own worst enemy. and he's making tooooooo much money.

ShoelessFred
07-04-2003, 02:16 AM
and here are PONSON'S numbers. he would actually be one of our best statistical pitchers. he's having a nice year.

W:10
L:5
ERA:3.96
G:16
CG:3
SHO:0
SV:0
IP:109.0
H:111
R:50
ER:48
HR:7
HBP:2
BB:34
SO:79


not to shabby.

MaggPipes
07-04-2003, 02:20 AM
Those are not bad numbers....the problem is that they are not very good numbers either..... 3.97 ERA??? NO thanks for a rent a pitcher who will cost that much.....

ShoelessFred
07-04-2003, 02:29 AM
you act like we are trading ORDONEZ for ponson. this is a STEAL if kenny williams can make the trade.

doublem23
07-04-2003, 02:46 AM
Thomas, Lee, and Daubach can all do Paul's job (and a helluva lot better, too).

Sorry, Paul, looks like you're expendable.

hose
07-04-2003, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by MaggPipes
Ok.....i am going to go into a rant here.....i generally do not post, i just see what you guys are talking about with all of the trade rumors and such....and i generally agree with you so i do not post....but this time i have to speak up....trading Paul Konerko is about the dumbest thing in the world......i LOVE how all of you have just jumped ship becuase of ONE half of baseball.....does anyone else remember the world beater that was Konerko inthe minors???? Oh yeah, how about last year......oh how about last night? You know, that game tying homer....the thing that made it possible for Frank to hit the walk-off......I swear trading him for Ponson--a BAD pitcher who would vbe our #5 and walk at the end of the year--is the worst move ever.....come on people....Paul Konerko will come around.....I just hope it is with us and we are not stupid.....also even if you could convince me to trade him...you don't trade him when his trade value is at an all-time low......

sorry about that....i had to get it off my chest....

be happy KW made some good moves that will help out a lot....thankfully the O's GM made a decision that will keep us in contention......


I would rather see Big Hurt finish off his career a White Sox. If moving Konerko and his 6 1/2 million dollar salary helps, then so be it.

Ponson would be a great addition to the pitching staff.

I wonder if Danny Wright could develop into a closer like Gagne , Biddle, or Smoltz. Wright would have to work on his control, but he does throw hard.

oldcomiskey
07-04-2003, 11:12 AM
thatw why they brought in Daubach--to push Konerko and or Lee----lee responded---Konerko didnt-----see ya Paulie

TornLabrum
07-04-2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by MaggPipes
Those are not bad numbers....the problem is that they are not very good numbers either..... 3.97 ERA??? NO thanks for a rent a pitcher who will cost that much.....

Here are the ERAs for our current rotation:

Buehrle 4.36
Colon 4.20
Garland 4.65
Loaiza 2.18
Wright 5.97

Since Wright is the pitcher to be replaced if Ponson comes to the Sox, I'd say 3.97 is one hell of an improvment, two earned runs per 9 IP! He would have the second best ERA in our rotation.

This isn't 1968.

B. Diddy
07-04-2003, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by MaggPipes
I swear trading him for Ponson--a BAD pitcher who would vbe our #5 and walk at the end of the year--is the worst move ever

Ponson a bad pitcher? Are you on crack or have you just not bothered to look at his stats?

Career stats:

Ponson: 51-58, 4.65 ERA
Loaiza: 80-76, 4.65 ERA

Loaiza has similar numbers, so I guess that means he's a bad pitcher as well.

Ponson is currently 10-5 with a 3.96 ERA on a horrible Orioles team. That's good enough for the #4 spot on our team. If Loaiza falters in the second half, he becomes our #3 guy.

That sounds better than playing PK with his sub-.200 BA and his 4 HRs. I like PK, but he's sucked for almost a full year now and, if he doesn't agree to go down to the minors to get his swing back, he's going to have to ride the pine for the rest of the year or be used as trade bait.

FanOf14
07-04-2003, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by B. Diddy
Ponson a bad pitcher? Are you on crack or have you just not bothered to look at his stats?

Career stats:

Ponson: 51-58, 4.65 ERA
Loaiza: 80-76, 4.65 ERA

Loaiza has similar numbers, so I guess that means he's a bad pitcher as well.



Actually everyone here was saying that he sucked before spring training and didn't expect him to be up with the team right away. Also, PK was playing with a broken foot the last half of last season.
Contrary to "Paul sucked second half" (http://www.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/stats_historical/mlb_historical_player_stats.jsp?baseballScope=AL&subScope=teamCode&teamPosCode=CHA&statType=1&sitSplit=aas&timeSubFrame2=1&timeFrame=1&timeSubFrame=2002&Submit=Submit)
Here are his second half numbers of last according to MLB.com (Yes, they were lower than first half, but no where as terrible as people here made them out to be, keep in mind he was playing with a broken foot):
AVG. .270 (not great, but not too shabby)
Hits: 66 (3 more than Thomas)
HR 7 (this obviously sucks, half of Thomas' total)
RBI 33 (so does this, but it is only 5 less than Thomas)
Walks 19 (same as Ordonez, much less than Thomas)
K: 34 (Less than Thomas)
2B: 11 (3 less than Thomas)
TB: 98 (This is bad for PK, but not as bad as I thought it was 20 less than Thomas)
The only reason I compared against Thomas is that seems to be the trend here. There is no comparison this year and this is coming from a big PK fan. He, nor the Sox denied that about his foot and that is why he didn't get anywhere as much playing time in September as he did the rest of last season. Yes, he sucks this first half, but consdering Thomas is 35, he can't play forever and we have no firstbase prospects that I've heard about here so unless they can sign Daubach to an extended contract, I really don't think it is wise to get rid of Konerko for a crap pitcher like Ponson. Whenever I've seen him pitch (against us or other teams) I couldn't see anything that warrants trading PK for him.

joecrede
07-04-2003, 02:13 PM
Konerko is owed ~$22M(!) over the next 2 1/2 years. His contract will kill us if it isn't moved.

joecrede
07-04-2003, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by FanOf14
I really don't think it is wise to get rid of Konerko for a crap pitcher like Ponson. Whenever I've seen him pitch (against us or other teams) I couldn't see anything that warrants trading PK for him.

Just out of curiosity, who/what would you deal Konerko for?

gosox41
07-04-2003, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by MaggPipes
Ok.....i am going to go into a rant here.....i generally do not post, i just see what you guys are talking about with all of the trade rumors and such....and i generally agree with you so i do not post....but this time i have to speak up....trading Paul Konerko is about the dumbest thing in the world......i LOVE how all of you have just jumped ship becuase of ONE half of baseball.....does anyone else remember the world beater that was Konerko inthe minors???? Oh yeah, how about last year......oh how about last night? You know, that game tying homer....the thing that made it possible for Frank to hit the walk-off......I swear trading him for Ponson--a BAD pitcher who would vbe our #5 and walk at the end of the year--is the worst move ever.....come on people....Paul Konerko will come around.....I just hope it is with us and we are not stupid.....also even if you could convince me to trade him...you don't trade him when his trade value is at an all-time low......

sorry about that....i had to get it off my chest....

be happy KW made some good moves that will help out a lot....thankfully the O's GM made a decision that will keep us in contention......

First, trading Paul Konerko for Ponson is a lot better move then trading Wells, Fogg, and Lowe for Ritchie.

Second, look at Paul's OPS last year. then compare it to Frank's (very similar, huh?) then compare it to all the first basemen in the AL. Look where Paulie ranks. Take last seasons numbers for Paul and comapre it to this years numbers for first basemen and see where he ranks then.

First base is traditionally an offensive position. There is no reason to overpay (and $8 mill/year) is overpaying for that position when you can find a younger guy for less. The Sox need to properly allocate their financial resources. Paying Paul $8 mill a year is not the smartest way to do that.

Bob

Corkinator
07-04-2003, 04:19 PM
I like Paulie and still think he's gonna pull out of this and have great years ahead. The problem is numbers, both $$$ and slow footed DH types. I woudn't trade Paulie for a rent-a-pitcher like Sir Sidney, but maybe someone like Washburn? He can't walk until 2005 and he wants to work year-to-year. That is JR's kind of guy. The last thing Reinsdorf believes in is tying up pitchers to long term deals. And he is right. I'm here in Tampa and this woefull franchise will take years to recover from that 35 million debacle to Alvarez. How about Alaex Fernandez...I don't want to see Paulie go, but Washburn.....