PDA

View Full Version : Anyone hear anything on the Griffey Rumor

NewyorkSoxFan
07-03-2003, 11:40 PM
Rumors circulating on the Reds Board is that the Sox have contacted the reds about Jr. He is hitting .245 with 8 hrs and 20 rbi. and making 10 mill in the process. And he is signed for another 5 years. I don't know if I see KW and JR taking this big of a financial risk, but Bowden has been shopping him for sometime, so I wonder if there is some fire below this smoke?

NYSF

TheKYSoxfan
07-03-2003, 11:42 PM
I hope the Sox don't waste their time with him. He's hurt most of the time, and when he isn't hurt he isn't all that great.

FarWestChicago
07-03-2003, 11:48 PM
Griffey Sr. might be a better alternative at this point. :o:

Jerry_Manuel
07-04-2003, 12:31 AM
I'm sure the Sox are contacting alot of teams right now.

gosox41
07-04-2003, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by NewyorkSoxFan
Rumors circulating on the Reds Board is that the Sox have contacted the reds about Jr. He is hitting .245 with 8 hrs and 20 rbi. and making 10 mill in the process. And he is signed for another 5 years. I don't know if I see KW and JR taking this big of a financial risk, but Bowden has been shopping him for sometime, so I wonder if there is some fire below this smoke?

NYSF

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Do NOT get Ken Griffey unless you give up bottom feeder prospects and the Reds promise to pick up all his salary for the rest of the contract.

Huge mistake. His best days are behind him. Plus CE is our new CFer.

Bob

ShoelessFred
07-04-2003, 02:10 AM
this could be true because HAWK is a TREMENDOUS fan of griffey. hawk still thinks he is one of the greatest of all time.

ilsox7
07-04-2003, 02:13 AM
hawk still thinks he is one of the greatest of all time.

So do I! I'd love to see Jr. here if the deal is right.

ShoelessFred
07-04-2003, 02:17 AM
griffey WAS one of the greatest. this guy is injury prone and i wouldn't touch him with a 1000 foot. pole. you couldn't even DH this guy cause he'd pull a hamstring. it's sad...BUT TRUE.

fquaye149
07-04-2003, 03:57 AM
stop it. any time we can add a gold glover in a position that's a weakness, i have no problem with it. i have a friend who lives in cincy and goes to reds games and he says griffey is playing well. i don't know if that's bias or not, but i tend to believe that being on a contending team in a role where eh doesn't question whether he's the one we want out there will do wonders.

and if it doesn't....he's still a gold glove outfielder

Jurr
07-04-2003, 10:48 AM
Well, if he's a gold glover, I didn't see it this week in Pittsburgh. I went to the Reds/Pirates games this series. He is lazy, he actually got burned on 2 fly balls this series, jogged into second when he had an easy triple opportunity, and didn't show any kind of bat speed the entire time. He took lazy hacks, hit a couple of singles and one double (a single that was poorly played by the outfielder which should have been a triple.)
No way, no how.

fquaye149
07-05-2003, 02:28 PM
is coming off an injury...

well whatever...closer is our most pressing need

RKMeibalane
07-05-2003, 02:56 PM
Griffey is finished. I don't want him on this team. Sleeping requires too much effort for him.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-05-2003, 03:09 PM
This rumor sounds like yesterday's newspapers. Now that we have Everett, the center field job is filled. As for DH, Daubach is doing well enough--if only Manuel stopped pulling his chain by playing Konerko every other day.

Either Kenny Williams is trying to showcase Konerko for Baltimore or New York, or Jerry Manuel is a frickin' idiot. I'll give you one guess which way I'm leaning. :smile:

Certified Frickin' Idiot ------> :jerry