PDA

View Full Version : Quote Of The Day / Year? Part II

Lip Man 1
07-03-2003, 02:42 PM
We can't pretend that we're 'Prospects 'R Us,' We don't want to be selling hope, hoping we will catch lightning in a bottle with young players. It's time to win ."[/B] --Kenny Williams to the assembled media.

Just a little reminder to those who are worried about the Sox "golden future..." That same 'golden future" has produced ZERO pennants in the last 43 seasons.

Lip

hold2dibber
07-03-2003, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
We can't pretend that we're 'Prospects 'R Us,' We don't want to be selling hope, hoping we will catch lightning in a bottle with young players. It's time to win ." --Kenny Williams to the assembled media.

Just a little reminder to those who are worried about the Sox "golden future..." That same 'golden future" has produced ZERO pennants in the last 43 seasons.

Lip [/B]

I love the quote and I love the approach. But just as importantly, in my opinion, is that I think that KW has traded, in these deals, minor leaguers who are largely replaceable or otherwise not at the top of the organizational depth chart. So he's made moves to win NOW, without giving up so much that he's robbing the system of its very best prospects. That will be important in terms of keeping the team good in the future, either by the development of those other prospects or by being able to trade them, too, to upgrade the MLB roster. All good.

Foulke You
07-03-2003, 03:43 PM
I liked this quote as well...

I wanted to be able to look out on the field and envision a team that not only can make the playoffs, but possibly the World Series. These are our dreams. You have to make moves accordingly to try to make those dreams come true.

-Sox GM Kenny Williams

"World Series" and "Playoffs" being uttered by Sox management? Wasn't it not too long ago that "competitive" was the catch phrase? Perhaps Sox management has seen the light and are finally getting it? :smile: :gulp:

HoosierHerb
07-03-2003, 04:19 PM
This is both refreshing and invigorating (sp?) to see this new attitude. Maybe KW isn't such a bad guy after all.

WhiteSox = Life
07-03-2003, 05:33 PM
Kenny was never a bad guy, just made a few moves that didn't quite pan out as was expected.

Kenny likes to go for the proven talent and though it hasn't worked out before (see Wells, David and Ritchie, Todd), if these two moves and the one or two more to come do, and the Sox go where we all hope they do, Kenny will go down in White Sox history.

Of course, there is a lot of baseball left, and as always, Go Sox!

Dan H
07-04-2003, 06:58 AM
I have mixed feelings about the actual trades because of the controversial pasts of the players and Alomar may be washed up. However, I like the idea of trying to win now. You can't be worried about every prospect you have when you go the post season once every 10 years.

If the White Sox are really changing their attitude, the franchise can turn itself around. The whole problem with the WFT was not losing fat Wilson Alvaraez. It was a PR disaster because it confirmed to many fans that Jerry Reinsdorf was not serious about winning. That trade caused severe damage to the franchise.

Right now the team is riding on a wave of good will. The media is supportive, the Cubs have been exposed for the mopes they are, and fans are starting to come back. The White Sox cannot lash out at anyone now. It's time to produce.

One question is left: If the Sox win their weak division, can they really step up to the level of Seattle and New York? Or even Oakland?

Lip Man 1
07-04-2003, 12:43 PM
Dan:

to answer your question..."no." However GETTING to the playoffs and winning a few games (unlike the fluke 2000 season) would be a big step towards restoring some respectibility.

It could as you suggested, began to change the PERCEPTION of this operation especially in the most important area, the PLAYERS themselves from around baseball.

There was a reason that players as diverse as Julio Franco, Ellis Burks, Mike Lavallier, Charlie Hough, Kirk McCaskill and Scott Sanderson wanted to play for the Sox in the early 90's. It was because the Sox seemed like they had a chance to actually win something.

They didn't come here because they wanted to be friends with Unlce Jerry!

Lip

FanOf14
07-04-2003, 12:58 PM
My mom had a huge grin yesterday telling me about it. She said she never thought she would hear something like that from Sox management.