PDA

View Full Version : Two good moves...but we need two more...

jabrch
07-03-2003, 12:18 PM
OK, I am happy about adding Everett. I am THRILLED we were able to add Alomar. But my question is, what's next. We are obviously making a run at it this year (traded Ring and Almonte for a shot) but we still have some holes. The team needs a good middle reliever, a setup man and in a perfect world, one more experienced starter.

KC acquired Curt Leskanic from Milwaukee yesterday. That was a surprise to me cuz I didn't figure they would add any salary. He would have fit in nice to hold games between the starters and Gordon/Koch. There are a few other good ones out there. Urbina and Benitez will also be moved at the deadline and they could be good setup guys and alternates to Koch.

Add one or two more Ps and I think this team will be as good as any AL team except the Yanks.

Kenny Williams did well. Props to him.

FJA
07-03-2003, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
OK, I am happy about adding Everett. I am THRILLED we were able to add Alomar. But my question is, what's next. We are obviously making a run at it this year (traded Ring and Almonte for a shot) but we still have some holes. The team needs a good middle reliever, a setup man and in a perfect world, one more experienced starter.

KC acquired Curt Leskanic from Milwaukee yesterday. That was a surprise to me cuz I didn't figure they would add any salary. He would have fit in nice to hold games between the starters and Gordon/Koch. There are a few other good ones out there. Urbina and Benitez will also be moved at the deadline and they could be good setup guys and alternates to Koch.

Add one or two more Ps and I think this team will be as good as any AL team except the Yanks.

Kenny Williams did well. Props to him.

I like the idea of adding an SP and moving Wright to the bullpen. While in a perfect world we'd be able to add both an SP and a quality reliever, I think Wright would add a quality bullpen arm that would suffice and give us some more flexibility.

Think of the playoffs as well: We move that fifth, and maybe even the fourth starter into the bullpen. I assume the SP we would get would be a four (maybe three, but I highly doubt it), meaning, better than Garland, so our playoff bullpen would include that guy and Garland. That's not too shabby.

Obviously, either Urbina or Benitez gives us an even stronger bullpen now, but if given the choice, I'd rather replace Wright as the weak link in the rotation. He has good stuff, but as an SP, he almost always puts this team in the position of fighting back.

Unregistered
07-03-2003, 12:41 PM
Benitez is a joker... please lets avoid that mess...

FJA
07-03-2003, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Unregistered
Benitez is a joker... please lets avoid that mess...

On second thought, I agree. You want to talk about a heart attack when Koch comes in? He's nothing compared to Benitez.

Unregistered
07-03-2003, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by FJA
On second thought, I agree. You want to talk about a heart attack when Koch comes in? He's nothing compared to Benitez. The Mets have been trying to sucker some team into taking over that nightmare for over a year now.

Tragg
07-03-2003, 03:01 PM
In the playoffs, you need 3 starters or maybe 4. Wright will pitch from the pen in the playoffs and Garland may also.
Our pitching will be fine.
Another reliever, IF CHEAP, okay; but not some closer who can no longer get people out.
My preference would be to dump glover (if we aren't going to use him) and call up a young guy.