PDA

View Full Version : Brian Anderson hits for the cycle...

Randar68
07-03-2003, 11:44 AM
In just his 6th game in the Pros, Brian Anderson hit for the cycle in Great Falls' 10-2 win over Ogden in the Pioneer League. He is now hitting .542 with an OPS of 1.535!!!!

He is detroying the Pioneer League, and has got to be moving to Kannapolis or Winston-Salem in the very near future.

Jeremy Reed was also 2-4 last night with his third HR in AA. He is now hitting .458.

xil357
07-03-2003, 11:52 AM
Seeing this success makes me optimistic for the Sox OF picture in the coming years. Is there any possibility that Reed could make the Sox out of spring training in 2004? At any point, does he project as being capable of playing a major-league CF?

Randar68
07-03-2003, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by xil357
Seeing this success makes me optimistic for the Sox OF picture in the coming years. Is there any possibility that Reed could make the Sox out of spring training in 2004? At any point, does he project as being capable of playing a major-league CF?

He is still pretty raw and has too much movement in his hands and bat prior to the swing, IMO. His raw power is only matched by LTP in the Sox' system. He should be in AA next year (at some point, depending on how fast they move him along), with a possible September call-up if he is hitting anything like Jeremy Reed is now, LOL!

I don't think we need to rush people as much as we have the past couple of years. I really would have liked to have seen Joe Borchard get another season of AA before he moved on to AAA. It really helped Olivo, and he would have had a lot less pressure there while working on his strike zone judgement...

2 years, and I think Anderson has a real shot to make this team. However, he is now playing in Rookie ball, so, realistically, it is a long way away. Hard to accurately predict these things.

xil357
07-03-2003, 12:00 PM
So realistically, if one was a betting man, one could bet on opening day 2005 for Reed and mid-2005 for Anderson?

Randar68
07-03-2003, 12:09 PM
So realistically, if one was a betting man, one could bet on opening day 2005 for Reed and mid-2005 for Anderson?

Never make $$$ bets on prospects! :D:

xil357
07-03-2003, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Never make $$$ bets on prospects! :D:

I totally agree and understand. I'm just trying to get an idea of what / when to expect to see these guys if they pan out. As in, if we don't see this guy on the major league roster by time X, then he will no longer be considered a prospect, he's likely peaked and he's a career minor leaguer.

Randar68
07-03-2003, 12:18 PM
I totally agree and understand. I'm just trying to get an idea of what / when to expect to see these guys if they pan out. As in, if we don't see this guy on the major league roster by time X, then he will no longer be considered a prospect, he's likely peaked and he's a career minor leaguer.

In those terms, I would expect Reed at any time in 2005 and Anderson 2006. If they haven't made the bigs by then, then either the Major League team has an excellent OF already in place, or they have fallen flat on their faces.

xil357
07-03-2003, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
In those terms, I would expect Reed at any time in 2005 and Anderson 2006. If they haven't made the bigs by then, then either the Major League team has an excellent OF already in place, or they have fallen flat on their faces.

Thank you so much. I'm just excited about the multiple OF prospects that are down on the farm. Safety in numbers.