PDA

View Full Version : Don't forget the REAL issue with this team

Gumshoe
07-03-2003, 10:48 AM
It's the bullpen! We would have hit and we were starting to make a move before all these trades. But remember that Koch by all rights should have gotten another LOSS. Stupid that he just didn't intentionally walk Kielty. Manuel wasn't there, so I can't blame him. I'm happy for Konerko, but we need BULLPEN help, or else all these trades mean virtually NOTHING playoff time.

Gumshoe

MarqSox
07-03-2003, 10:57 AM
It's really hard to find a good bullpen. I mean, a GOOD bullpen.

Marte and Gordon are as good a pair of setup guys as you're gonna find. Koch, when he's on, is among the league's best closers.
Wunsch is an outstanding situational lefty.
White Trash is playing better, and while I'd like to upgrade that spot, our bigger need is a fifth starter, IMO.
Glover and Sanders are nothing special, but they're good enough to get us through the season, and they'll be irrellevant once we make the playoffs anyway.

daveb816
07-03-2003, 11:02 AM
Outside of Koch, the bullpen was excellent last night. Getting Wunsch back - whenever that is - should help.

hold2dibber
07-03-2003, 11:20 AM
While I think Gumshoe overstates the point, I wouldn't mind adding another arm in the pen. Leskanic (sp?), who the Royals got yesterday, would have been a good pick-up. The return of Wunsch will help. I think JM has to do a better job of getting innings for Glover, because he's been pretty good out of the pen over his career - Manuel needs to keep him sharp.

With all that said, last night the bullpen worked 8 innings and allowed 2 runs. Outstanding job.

B. Diddy
07-03-2003, 11:28 AM
Well if the rumor that it's a "West Coast pitcher" is true, I think that Percival would fit in nicely. Anaheim is going nowhere this year (not with Oakland and Seattle in the same division) and Koch has been far from spectacular.

xil357
07-03-2003, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Gumshoe
It's the bullpen! We would have hit and we were starting to make a move before all these trades. But remember that Koch by all rights should have gotten another LOSS. Stupid that he just didn't intentionally walk Kielty. Manuel wasn't there, so I can't blame him. I'm happy for Konerko, but we need BULLPEN help, or else all these trades mean virtually NOTHING playoff time.

Gumshoe

I am beginning to believe that a good bullpen is not so much a reflection of the talent in the bullpen itself, but of strong starting pitching that regularly goes deep into games.

For example, even the best bullpen talent will get over-exposed and grow tired if they are used too much.

However, an average bullpen that only has to average 2 to 3 innings per night can be used more efficiently and therefore is more effective.

Pretty much all bullpens are created equal. That's why you see what one season was a good pen pretty much sucks the next season. Outside of the closers, these guys can't cut it as starters. They are put in roles where their more limited talents can be maximized. If you have to use them too much, they are going to be exposed and tired out.

Anytime a team tries to say that its strength is its bullpen, or that they are counting on their bullpen in order to be a winning team, it is time to worry, because they are basically saying that their starting pitching blows and their offense isn't good enough to cover up for it.

Koch is a heart attack waiting to happen, sure, but so are so many other closers in the MLB. If Sox starters go deep into games, as they generally have been lately, then the bullpen will be OK.

Nellie_Fox
07-03-2003, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Gumshoe
Manuel wasn't there, so I can't blame him. Had he left the building? Don't kid yourself; when a manager gets ejected, he continues to run things from the clubhouse. The only difference is he isn't in the dugout.

Randar68
07-03-2003, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
It's really hard to find a good bullpen. I mean, a GOOD bullpen.

White has been a different pitcher these past 2-3 weeks. Marte has given up quite a few inhereted runners scored lately, and I am a little concerned, but he seems to be able to stop the bleeding for the most part.

voodoochile
07-03-2003, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
White has been a different pitcher these past 2-3 weeks. Marte has given up quite a few inhereted runners scored lately, and I am a little concerned, but he seems to be able to stop the bleeding for the most part.

Got a little unlucky last night. He got the first two, but Hunter was a jam shot that hit the hole between 2B and CF and that just barely. Yeah, I know it counts, but it wasn't like he gave up a linedrive into the gap...