PDA

View Full Version : Sox Fans dissed in MLB players survey


MarqSox
07-03-2003, 10:32 AM
SI did a survey of 550 MLB players. One of the questions was "Which city has the worst fans." They also asked which had the best.

Chicago ranked second among NL players for having the best fans.

Chicago ranked WORST among AL players for having the worst fans.

In other words, players think Flubs fans are great, while Sox fans are awful. Ouch.

In other shocking results, The Cell was among the worst ballparks, KW was among the worst GMs and Manuel was the third-worst manager.

Don't mean to rain on today's giddiness, but this sucks.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/si_online/news/2003/07/01/survey/

Hullett_Fan
07-03-2003, 10:40 AM
So won't it be a kick to their ****s when we win it all this year !!!

Irishsox1
07-03-2003, 10:42 AM
Most of the stuff on the list is useless. However, Dusty Baker as the best manager? Come on, that guy is the biggest dope in the world. What he did last year in the World Series by calling back Ortiz to give him the game ball, only to watch his cockyness get thrown back in his face for games 6 and 7. Also, the year he shows up in San Fran is the same year Barry Bonds shows up. Give him time, he'll suck with the Cubs.

MarqSox
07-03-2003, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Irishsox1
Most of the stuff on the list is useless.

Well, it's just more evidence that our reputation as fans remains tarnished. Perception is reality, and if the players think this is a bad place to play, then they're not gonna wanna sign with us, or they might invoke no trade clauses to stay away, etc.

raul12
07-03-2003, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by MarqSox
Well, it's just more evidence that our reputation as fans remains tarnished. Perception is reality, and if the players think this is a bad place to play, then they're not gonna wanna sign with us, or they might invoke no trade clauses to stay away, etc.

It's all about marketing. Microsoft sells @$@# software, but it pretty much has a monopoly in the PC world. In the same way, the Tribune puts a @#$# product on the field, but they have been deceived in thinking it's the best in the world. It does help when marketing to mindless, drunk idiots too. :gulp:

Hangar18
07-03-2003, 10:57 AM
Plus, 35% of the vote Dusty "moses" Baker got was from
his own division......

TornLabrum
07-03-2003, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by MarqSox
Well, it's just more evidence that our reputation as fans remains tarnished. Perception is reality, and if the players think this is a bad place to play, then they're not gonna wanna sign with us, or they might invoke no trade clauses to stay away, etc.

I would guess that the main reason Sox fans are ranked so low is because of the Ligue and Dybas incidents. One isn't even a baseball fan, and the other was a Cubs fan. And who gets the bad rap?

Or maybe it was 30,000 people doing the wave that put us over the top.

Hullett_Fan
07-03-2003, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Irishsox1
Most of the stuff on the list is useless.

I'd agree. They list the 'worst' and the 'best' but for most categories the vote is so divided that the difference between a top ranking and low ranking is few percentage points (no significant statistical difference - so can't infer anything!). Same % of players hate the Cell as hate Wrigley.

I don't think you can say any teams fans are good or bad (except STL being good). 19% hate us (tops in AL)...but what % hate NY fans (18%???).

And, what is it about STL fans that makes them so good??? Are they so provincial down there that they don't yell out vulgarities??? Don;t seem smarter than typical fan. :?:

1951Campbell
07-03-2003, 11:16 AM
Take it with a grain of salt. Babe Ruth got votes for "greatest living ballplayer."

Spiff
07-03-2003, 11:35 AM
Ah but I was wrong when I said Boston had good fans, despite them being voted second best in baseball, and first in the AL. I guess you were right, PHG; comparing you to gammons is a ****ing joke cause you and I would fall into the range of worst in the AL, where Gammons and Co. would be first!

I finally see your point.

B. Diddy
07-03-2003, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Hullett_Fan
And, what is it about STL fans that makes them so good??? Are they so provincial down there that they don't yell out vulgarities??? Don;t seem smarter than typical fan. :?:

St. Louis fans are the best in baseball, IMO. They're, by large, very knowledgeable about their team, most of them wear red clothing to the games, they average over 30,000 a game, and they're (more or less) very courteous. I was offered free tickets to the following night's game by an elderly couple while I was there 3 years ago (too bad I couldn't go).

maurice
07-03-2003, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
Chicago ranked second among NL players for having the best fans.

Chicago ranked WORST among AL players for having the worst fans.

I consider that a compliment. I don't want opposing teams' players to like us. Recent media reports indicate that the Sox players think we're pretty good. That's what counts. Let's keep making noise.

:bandance:

Foulke You
07-03-2003, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by B. Diddy
St. Louis fans are the best in baseball, IMO. They're, by large, very knowledgeable about their team, most of them wear red clothing to the games, they average over 30,000 a game, and they're (more or less) very courteous. I was offered free tickets to the following night's game by an elderly couple while I was there 3 years ago (too bad I couldn't go).

I went to a White Sox vs. Cardinals game in '98 and I received more abuse from their fans for wearing my Sox colors than any other place save Wrigley Field. I had peanuts and beer cups thrown my way when I left to go to the Men's room! Maybe it was a rowdy crowd that day but it left a lasting impression.

The Busch stadium experience was the opposite of my Fenway White Sox vs Red Sox experience last year where I talked baseball with knowledgable Red Sox fans who were very courteous. Heck, we even swapped Yankee hating stories. My only criticism of Boston fans was their general ignorance towards AL Central Division teams. They really didn't know anything about the White Sox but it isn't like their is a lot of coverage of the White Sox on a national level. The Boston print media is very arrogant though and shrugged off the White Sox series victory there as "the Red Sox overlooking the White Sox while looking ahead to the Yankees series".

Lip Man 1
07-03-2003, 01:51 PM
I agree with the post abour perception becomming reality.

This vote was also taken before the Sox went out and got Alomar and Everett.

But the players DO remember the fan incidents, they do remember the strike and the White Flag deal and Uncle Jerry's vindictive attitude and Williams' screw up with Wells and Ritchie and Manager Gandhi's foibles (certainlt the fans at WSI do!)

You can't change ten years perception (even longer to some of us) with two deals on a single day. It takes a long sustained effort to change perceptions.

I'm afraid that until Sox management stops taking a bunker mentality towards the fans, agents, and most importantly the media that perception right or wrong is going to remain.

Lip

MarqSox
07-03-2003, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
I went to a White Sox vs. Cardinals game in '98 and I received more abuse from their fans for wearing my Sox colors than any other place save Wrigley Field. I had peanuts and beer cups thrown my way when I left to go to the Men's room! Maybe it was a rowdy crowd that day but it left a lasting impression.

The Busch stadium experience was the opposite of my Fenway White Sox vs Red Sox experience last year where I talked baseball with knowledgable Red Sox fans who were very courteous. Heck, we even swapped Yankee hating stories. My only criticism of Boston fans was their general ignorance towards AL Central Division teams. They really didn't know anything about the White Sox but it isn't like their is a lot of coverage of the White Sox on a national level. The Boston print media is very arrogant though and shrugged off the White Sox series victory there as "the Red Sox overlooking the White Sox while looking ahead to the Yankees series".

Just goes to show you shouldn't judge any group of fans goor or bad based on one interaction. When I went to Fenway for Sox-Sox in 2001, I was taunted and was even hit in the head with a hot dog. I kind of got a kick out of it -- I never felt unsafe and the fact that the Pale Hose was on top made it good -- but I certainly wasn't too impressed with BoSox fans. Cardinals fans, on the other hand, have always been level-headed yet passionate in all my interactions with them.

But yeah, the Red Sox fans were more discourteous than any Cubs fans I've ever met, which is saying A LOT. Not to mention, they were chanting "Yankees Suck" through the whole game, neglecting to notice that their team was losing to a team not called the Yankees. It was sort of pathetic.

Foulke You
07-03-2003, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
Just goes to show you shouldn't judge any group of fans goor or bad based on one interaction. When I went to Fenway for Sox-Sox in 2001, I was taunted and was even hit in the head with a hot dog. I kind of got a kick out of it -- I never felt unsafe and the fact that the Pale Hose was on top made it good -- but I certainly wasn't too impressed with BoSox fans. Cardinals fans, on the other hand, have always been level-headed yet passionate in all my interactions with them.

But yeah, the Red Sox fans were more discourteous than any Cubs fans I've ever met, which is saying A LOT. Not to mention, they were chanting "Yankees Suck" through the whole game, neglecting to notice that their team was losing to a team not called the Yankees. It was sort of pathetic.

You're right of course. You can't really judge a fanbase based on such a small sampling. It might have just been a rowdy crowd in my section at Busch Stadium that night.

Someone could go to one half price night at The Cell and wonder why our fans like to do the wave, not knowing that many Cubs fans and casual fans come out for the half price nights. The wave is not a good representation of Sox fans but it could make an impression on out of towners who are visiting.

B. Diddy
07-03-2003, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
I went to a White Sox vs. Cardinals game in '98 and I received more abuse from their fans for wearing my Sox colors than any other place save Wrigley Field. I had peanuts and beer cups thrown my way when I left to go to the Men's room! Maybe it was a rowdy crowd that day but it left a lasting impression.


I didn't experience anything like that. Of course, they were playing the Tribe that night, so I was rooting for the Red Birds.

doublem23
07-03-2003, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum

Or maybe it was 30,000 people doing the wave that put us over the top.

Not all of us were doing the wave.

doublem23
07-03-2003, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
Just goes to show you shouldn't judge any group of fans goor or bad based on one interaction. When I went to Fenway for Sox-Sox in 2001, I was taunted and was even hit in the head with a hot dog. I kind of got a kick out of it -- I never felt unsafe and the fact that the Pale Hose was on top made it good -- but I certainly wasn't too impressed with BoSox fans. Cardinals fans, on the other hand, have always been level-headed yet passionate in all my interactions with them.

But yeah, the Red Sox fans were more discourteous than any Cubs fans I've ever met, which is saying A LOT. Not to mention, they were chanting "Yankees Suck" through the whole game, neglecting to notice that their team was losing to a team not called the Yankees. It was sort of pathetic.

Red Sox fans are just a bunch of ****ing morons anyway, so I wouldn't feel too bad. When I went, at least 80% of the folks in the outfield were paying attention to some drunken kid trying to get the Wave going, not the game.

Spiff
07-03-2003, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Red Sox fans are just a bunch of ****ing morons anyway, so I wouldn't feel too bad. When I went, at least 80% of the folks in the outfield were paying attention to some drunken kid trying to get the Wave going, not the game.

hey look, the boy who has faked intoxication on a message board is calling someone else a ****ing moron. i find this ironic.

also he is generalizing a whole fan base from one experience with a few people. that's just awesome.

chisox56
07-03-2003, 08:56 PM
This is in reply to the percent that thought cubs fans were great. The only reason this could be true is because most people at a cubs game aren't paying attention, so the players won't get heckled and no one will know about any slumps or problems they are having.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-03-2003, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Spiff
hey look, the boy who has faked intoxication on a message board is calling someone else a ****ing moron. i find this ironic.

also he is generalizing a whole fan base from one experience with a few people. that's just awesome.

Bored tonight? Try this.

:prozac

Viva Magglio
07-03-2003, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
I went to a White Sox vs. Cardinals game in '98 and I received more abuse from their fans for wearing my Sox colors than any other place save Wrigley Field. I had peanuts and beer cups thrown my way when I left to go to the Men's room! Maybe it was a rowdy crowd that day but it left a lasting impression.

The Busch stadium experience was the opposite of my Fenway White Sox vs Red Sox experience last year where I talked baseball with knowledgable Red Sox fans who were very courteous. Heck, we even swapped Yankee hating stories. My only criticism of Boston fans was their general ignorance towards AL Central Division teams. They really didn't know anything about the White Sox but it isn't like their is a lot of coverage of the White Sox on a national level. The Boston print media is very arrogant though and shrugged off the White Sox series victory there as "the Red Sox overlooking the White Sox while looking ahead to the Yankees series".

I've never had any trouble in St. Louis. I travelled there for all three series we played at Busch Stadium. I thought Cardinal fans were quite courteous.

Spiff
07-03-2003, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Bored tonight? Try this.

:prozac

i was pointing out the irony of doub's statement. nothing i said was false.

if somehow that leads you to believe im bored, that's fine. i can tell you i don't need prozac though.