PDA

View Full Version : Jealous whining out of KC

MarqSox
07-03-2003, 08:51 AM
Who said the press outside Chicago treats the Sox better? This is worse than most of Moronnoti's drivel.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/6222239.htm

delben91
07-03-2003, 08:56 AM
After reading that, I think I'm going to go ahead and write off the rest of the season. Due to the salaries on the White Sox, the obviously can't compete with KC. What a theory, I can't believe no one thought of it before.

1951Campbell
07-03-2003, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by MarqSox
Who said the press outside Chicago treats the Sox better? This is worse than most of Moronnoti's drivel.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/6222239.htm

What a bunch of crap. Our payroll is hardly Yankeesesque. Somebody dunk this clown in the fountain at Kaufman.

moochpuppy
07-03-2003, 09:02 AM
*****!!!! Hey Sammy, the KC media needs a cork for their whine.

From everything I've seen, heard and read, no one has a problem with Carl Everett except for some of the media, mainly in Boston. And Alomar's spitting incedent was how long ago?!? Let it go already.

Lip Man 1
07-03-2003, 02:29 PM
I just sent this e-mail to Joe. I thought you might enjoy reading it:

Dear Joe:

Read your latest column with great interest. Just wanted to pass along my two cents.

The White Sox are the same organization under the leadership of Jerry Reinsdorf who has almost completely destroyed their fan base because of many and numerous PR disasters over the past 20+ years.

This is the franchise that released Carlton Fisk in 1993 from a hotel room in Cleveland and didn't have the courtesy to have a press conference over it. They sent out faxes to the Chicago media.

This is the organization who's owner almost destroyed baseball because of his "hawkish" leadership during the 1994 labor impasse. In the process he practically eliminated his own franchise with a 30% drop in attendance since then. To say nothing of costing his own team a post season spot in 1994.

This is the organization that approved the White Flag trade in 1997 heaping national ridicule upon themselves to say nothing of the abuse inflicted by the Chicago media.

This is the same organization that handed Harry Caray and Sammy Sosa on a silver platter to their main rival the Cubs, ensuring that mordibund franchise would have the chance to take over the city in ten years time.

This is the same owner who said prior to last year's Cubs / Sox series that "Chicago has always belonged to the Cubs." Which is ludicrous from a historical perspective.

Considering all that I think those White Sox fans who are left, deserve to "buy" a post season spot don't you?

Considering the Royals are owned by David Glass, heir to the Wal Mart empire who is probably wealthier then 75% of other owners I think it's strange that they (and you) are accusing the Sox of buying a title. Glass could field an All Star team if he wished.

Perhaps your time would be better spent asking why Glass won't instead of this one time Reinsdorf saying "yes."

Mark Liptak
mliptak1@ida.net

Irishsox1
07-03-2003, 02:34 PM
Short and to the point. Good letter. It also would have helped if you called the writer a fat balding loser. If I were him I wouldn't include the picture with the articles.

WillieHarris12
07-03-2003, 02:39 PM
Well written Mark. That article was full of whining and garbage. I mean if he wrote an article about the AL East's big spenders he'd have written a book full of whining.

A.T. Money
07-03-2003, 02:44 PM
Good job Lip.
:bandance:

Joel Perez
07-03-2003, 02:46 PM
POTW to LipMan.
What a post...my thoughts exactly, since I lived in the South Side from 73-98.

This KC guy is a moron. He's all over the place, concentrating on Chicago first, and then bashing most of the MLB clubs who spend money to get the talent.

The Sox were finally in a position to trade to win, and this KC guy is crying in his KC Blues because the Royals haven't done anything yet to counteract what the Sox have done.

And this guy says "Wait for Mike Kelly? MIKE KELLY?????? *****. This guy is pushing 30 years old, and this KC writer is going to proclaim Mike f-in Kelly as their savior? Memmo to Mr. Posnanski--there is a reason why Mike Kelly hasn't done crap in the majors, and there's a reason why he's bounced around team after team.

This moron is also calling Jose Lima a miracle???? What a moron...do me a favor Posnanski--call the Detroit Tigers, and ask him how he did in a pitchers park and still stunk up the joint.

Idiot.

gosox3072
07-03-2003, 03:01 PM
if this dude gives u a reply can u post it here

hempsox
07-03-2003, 03:10 PM
I lived in KC for 5 years and JoePo as he was known to all that read his pap was the voice of the "we're sooo poor...you're so rich" arguement. He was the one that helped organize the walkout staged in the K about 3 years back when the Yanks came to town. During the R's half of the inning...the fans would cheer as normal...during the Yanks half everyone stood up and faced the way opposite the field. Then in the 5th everyone walked out and went over to the Adams Mark hotel across the way to watch the rest of the game. To the point...he's a wanker.

B. Diddy
07-03-2003, 03:31 PM
Let's chip in and buy him some Rogaine.

Foulke You
07-03-2003, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by hempsox
during the Yanks half everyone stood up and faced the way opposite the field. Then in the 5th everyone walked out and went over to the Adams Mark hotel across the way to watch the rest of the game.

I'm sure Steinbrenner was touched at that display and instantly planned to stop spending money to make Royals fans feel they have a chance.

The funny thing is about that KC writer is that Alomar and Everett were there for the taking. All KW did was part with some prospects. He isn't spending lots of money. Deep down, this is still the White Sox. No way does Reinsy take on Everett and Alomar's huge contracts without the other teams paying for it. That KC writer should quit whining about the "free spending Sox" and be more critical of his "executive of the year" Royals GM for getting out worked by KW on the Alomar deal. And yes, the Royals were in the Alomar derby as were the Expos. Can you say sore losers?

btw, nice letter Lip. I'd be interested to hear his response.

FarWestChicago
07-03-2003, 04:32 PM
Well done, Lip! :cool:

WinningUgly!
07-03-2003, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
That KC writer should quit whining about the "free spending Sox" and be more critical of his "executive of the year" Royals GM for getting out worked by KW on the Alomar deal. And yes, the Royals were in the Alomar derby as were the Expos. Can you say sore losers?

Yep, Kenny Williams got the job done while Allard Baird was sitting on his hands.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/banana.gifBoo Hoo KC!http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/banana.gif
White Sox get Alomar when Royals won't meet Mets' terms (http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/baseball/mlb/kansas_city_royals/6213910.htm)

fquaye149
07-03-2003, 04:59 PM
SPEND OUR WAY TO THE TOP!?!?!?!!?

don't make me laugh. how much are these deals costing us besides prospects? maybe 300K total!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

spend our way to the top

ma-gaga
07-03-2003, 05:07 PM
I agree that this article is crap.

Joe Posnanski usually punches out some good stuff, but this is poorly researched and terrible. Maybe he forgot he had an article due and on the fly whipped one out...

hold2dibber
07-03-2003, 05:28 PM
Before seeing Lip's e-mail to this bozo, I sent him the following e-mail:

Joe:

Your column today left me scratching my head. The headline suggests that the Sox have emptied their pockets trying to buy the division title. This despite the fact that it is well known that, in fact, the Sox are paying virtually nothing for the two newly acquired players. Thus, the very premise of the article is built upon a lie. The article is afoul with various other flat out falsehoods and misleading statements, such as:

(1) You note that the Sox already have the best 3 starting pitchers in the division (presumably Colon, Buehrle and Loaiza). However, you fail to note that one is home grown (Buehrle) and another (Loaiza) is just the kind of "diamond in the rough," "on the cheap" gem that you praise Baird for finding. The point? These guys are testaments to the Sox' ability to get loads of production without simply "buying it."

(2) You state that the Sox "had already spent about $30 million for the middle of their lineup". Again, the suggestion is that the Sox went out and bought these guys. In fact, Frank Thomas and Magglio Ordonez both came up through the Sox organization. In fact, Ordonez was either undrafted or drafted in a very late round of the draft (I can't remember which). Konerko was obtained via trade when he was very young and had no success at the MLB level. These aren't guys the Sox went out and bought - these are guys the Sox brought up through their system and now have rewarded with well deserved contracts. Again, your entire premise is flawed.

(3) You praise the Royals for getting bullpen help this week, stating that "they traded a couple of guys who didn't fit in their future, spent a little extra money and got a guy who might make a big difference". Um, hate to break it to you, but that's exactly what the Sox did too (except that they didn't have to spend a little extra money to do it). They were in desperate need of a CF and a 2B and they got two of the best available on the market for no money and without trading away anyone in the minors that they really need. It's basically a no risk proposition. In your rush to condemn them for trying to "buy" the division you simply ignore this obvious conclusion.

(4) You rail against the Sox for trying to buy the division, while conveniently failing to note that they don't even have the highest payroll in the division! That distinction goes to the Twins.

(5) You impugn the character of both Alomar and Everett, despite the fact that Alomar is a proven winner (in Toronto, Baltimore and Cleveland) and the fact that Everett has been trouble free (and largely praised by his former Ranger teammates for his hard work and determination). Again, glossing over the facts in a cheap shot attempt to criticize the Sox.

While I generally agree with your premise about the importance of baseball teams spending their money wisely, you decision to target the White Sox, based upon their two recent trades, as example 1A of how foolish teams foolishly waste money, was entirely misguided, and frankly smacks of sour grapes from someone whose local team is competing against the Sox. In fact, rumor has it that Baird was working hard to acquire Alomar before the Sox plucked him from the Mets. I can't help but think that if the Royals had obtaind him, for no money and non-critical prospects, that you would be singing his praises for a shrewd, riskless move.

MarkEdward
07-03-2003, 06:46 PM
For what it's worth, Joe Posnanski is one of my favorite baseball writers. He's good friends with Rob Neyer (my other favorite writer), and understands sabermetrics. Most of his writing is very interesting, although he sometimes gives Allard Baird too much credit.

That said, I just don't understand the point of this article. He criticizes the Sox for spending in order to win. Well, yeah, sometimes you must spend to win. We had a gaping hole in center. We fixed it by acquiring Carl Everett.

That isn't to say that Williams' latest deals should go without critiquing. An outfield of Lee, Everett, and Ordonez makes up one of the worst defensive outfields in the majors. It's questionable to state that Roberto Alomar is an upgrade over Jimenez.

These deals do deserve analysis. Joe is just analyzing the wrong parts, in my opinion.

doublem23
07-03-2003, 07:34 PM
:whiner: :whiner: :whiner:, Kansas City.

LOL...

RKMeibalane
07-03-2003, 07:45 PM
I expected something like this to happen. Now that the Sox are in a position to win the division, other teams are crying about it. Quite frankly, I don't see what the problem is. The Sox have never been big spenders. Reinsdorf rarely forks out money to big-name players. That's one of the many reasons why so many fans have grown to dislike him.

I'm not sure what this guy was talking about when he said that the Sox have spend a large amount of money on most of their key players. As Lip pointed, Frank Thomas and Magglio Ordonez both came up through the Sox organization. They have spent their entire professional careers in the Sox organization. Any money they have made as a result of their success was due to the fact that they resigned with their own team.

The media loves to take its shots at the White Sox, even when they have no reason to. It's crap like this that makes me hope the Sox can advance deep into the post-season this year, as a way saying "**** you" to everyone who has criticized them.