PDA

View Full Version : Props to Konerko

Fisk Fan
07-03-2003, 08:23 AM
I know that Konerko's been pretty awful lately, but that home-run he hit kept us in the game and allowed Frank to win it in the 12th. It was nice to see Paulie come through in the clutch and if anyone deserves it, he does. Way to go, Paulie!

pl8ump1012
07-03-2003, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by Fisk Fan
I know that Konerko's been pretty awful lately, but that home-run he hit kept us in the game and allowed Frank to win it in the 12th. It was nice to see Paulie come through in the clutch and if anyone deserves it, he does. Way to go, Paulie!

Agreed! Dont get me wrong - I was pumped when I heard thomas won it in the 12th (heard from a phone update, I was seeing T3 when it happened... even though I now feel the movie could have waited)...but When I watched the highlights later that night and saw that Konerko was the only reason we made it to the twelfth, and then heard the replay on ESPN 1000 this morning, my eyes actually welled up.

I am hoping that that at bat was PK's turn around at bat.
I really like the way things are looking lately.

Ryan Hoffman

dirty_k
07-03-2003, 09:38 AM
Everything about it was great and I was very excited to see him come to the plate as was the crowd. He also got a good round of applause taking the field the enxt inning and looked geeked while tossing the ball around in warm-ups. I was a little confused by the boos toward Kock for giving up 1 run in 2 or 3 innings work when most of the hitters he faced were baffled. The later part of the game the Sox pitchers had the Twinkies looking clueless.

delben91
07-03-2003, 11:14 AM
According to the Southtown, (http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/031sd4.htm) it seems that Paulie will be getting the starts in Tampa Bay this weekend. (Last entry in the article).

ScottyTheSoxFan
07-03-2003, 11:21 AM
that has got to be a HUGE confidence boost for Konerko. i almost had a heart attack when he hit it.

Dadawg_77
07-03-2003, 11:50 AM
Sox maybe showcasing him for a trade. Play a few game to show his slump is over then trade him. With the way BD is playing vs PK cost, the Sox could trade Konkerko and BD.

MarqSox
07-03-2003, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Sox maybe showcasing him for a trade. Play a few game to show his slump is over then trade him. With the way BD is playing vs PK cost, the Sox could trade Konkerko and BD.

If you traded both of them, we're pretty much back to where we were pre-Carl Everett. That is, we'd have to move Lee to DH and that would mean Aaron Rowand is again in the regular starting lineup. I like Rowand, but he's a 4th OF, not a starter.

Randar68
07-03-2003, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by delben91
According to the Southtown, (http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/031sd4.htm) it seems that Paulie will be getting the starts in Tampa Bay this weekend. (Last entry in the article).

As soon as he hit it, I thought, "Good God, Jerry, you had better give him the next start!"

xil357
07-03-2003, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
If you traded both of them, we're pretty much back to where we were pre-Carl Everett. That is, we'd have to move Lee to DH and that would mean Aaron Rowand is again in the regular starting lineup. I like Rowand, but he's a 4th OF, not a starter.

If both PK and BD were moved, then the Sox could go after Pierre for CF, move Everett to LF, Lee to DH and Frank at 1B. That, IMO, would be an incredible lineup with lefty/righty balance, speed and power.

MarqSox
07-03-2003, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by xil357
If both PK and BD were moved, then the Sox could go after Pierre for CF, move Everett to LF, Lee to DH and Frank at 1B. That, IMO, would be an incredible lineup with lefty/righty balance, speed and power.

If KW could add Pierre AND a solid 5th starter without giving up more than PK/BD/Garland/Wright/Rowand, my hat is off to the man.

B. Diddy
07-03-2003, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox

Methinks that they're going to try to dump Paulie and keep Frank around after this season. So, instead of two first basemen, we're going to have a CF (Everett) and a 1B.

Going into this season, my feeling was that this was Frank's last year and Paulie was poised to take over. But Frank's resurgence and Paulie's inexplicable slump changed their plans. And knowing how much JR loves Frank, I think he'll do what he can to keep him around.

I hope I'm wrong, but we don't need two high-priced first basemen, especially during the inevitable "rebuilding" process of 2004.

kevingrt
07-03-2003, 03:27 PM
It would be amazing if he totally did a 180 turn right now. The HR last night was amazing I wonder if he'll get the start today?

Meixner007
07-03-2003, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by kevingrt
It would be amazing if he totally did a 180 turn right now. The HR last night was amazing I wonder if he'll get the start today?

He won't start today, but he might start tommorow.

Dadawg_77
07-03-2003, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by B. Diddy
I hope I'm wrong, but we don't need two high-priced first basemen, especially during the inevitable "rebuilding" process of 2004.

Why do you hope you are wrong? Frank has always been a better overall firstbaseman then Paul. Hey if the Sox can fill a major hole by trading Pauly, I am all for it even though it cost me money if I change my jersey..

B. Diddy
07-03-2003, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Why do you hope you are wrong? Frank has always been a better overall firstbaseman then Paul. Hey if the Sox can fill a major hole by trading Pauly, I am all for it even though it cost me money if I change my jersey..

I hope that I'm wrong because I'd like them to keep both. I almost purchased a PK jersey a couple years ago, but opted to go with Mags instead. Paulie, like Robin Ventura, is the kind of player that fans really like. They're pretty good, but not quite superstars. And, because of that, they're the ones who get traded away or are shut out when free agency comes along.

For better or worse, Frank Thomas IS Chicago White Sox baseball. He's the franchise player and he's the one that's going to the Hall. I'd take a 35-year-old Frank the way he's playing right now any day over Paulie in his best season.

I agree that if we can get a stud closer or another quality starter (someone like Ponson or better) for Paulie, we need to do it. I just hope that Paulie is somehow still around when we "go for it" after the trading deadline.