PDA

View Full Version : Do you have to be on All Star roster to...

mike squires
07-03-2003, 12:42 AM
Participate in the homerun hitting contest? It would be great to see Big Frank or Maggs participate even if they don't make the team.

Fisk72
07-03-2003, 12:46 AM
Well, with tonite's dingers, he should be bumped up into the top leaders. If he gets selected as a reserve (and he better!) there's NO way they could pass up on him. I'd love to see him put on a show for us....and the banana!!!!

doublem23
07-03-2003, 12:51 AM
The Home Run Derby totally ****s up your swing, I hope to hell none of our boys participate.

mike squires
07-03-2003, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
The Home Run Derby totally ****s up your swing, I hope to hell none of our boys participate.

So that is why Konerko only had 7 homeruns after participating in the contest last year!" After hitting 20 in the first half. Yeah, maybe Frank shouldn't. But, it sure would be fun to watch.

sox_fan_forever
07-03-2003, 01:04 AM
It would be fun to watch, but it would be even more fun to watch Frank hit in the second half and lead the Sox to the playoffs. So I hope Frank, or anyone else from the Sox, is not particpating in it.

doublem23
07-03-2003, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by mike squires
So that is why Konerko only had 7 homeruns after participating in the contest last year!" After hitting 20 in the first half. Yeah, maybe Frank shouldn't. But, it sure would be fun to watch.

Nah, the main reason is Konerko played way over his head the first half of '02... But it does have residual effects on your swing, as Frank reported after doing it in what... '94?

Chisoxfn
07-03-2003, 01:13 AM

I'm with ya

kermittheefrog
07-03-2003, 01:19 AM

Sure does. Just look at guys like Bonds, McGwire and Sosa. They totally sucked in the second half after the derby.

FarWestChicago
07-03-2003, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Sure does. Just look at guys like Bonds, McGwire and Sosa. They totally sucked in the second half after the derby. :nandrolone

I just made sure I took my vitamins!

Thunderstruck30
07-03-2003, 01:52 AM
How exactly does participating in the home run derby affect a player for the rest of the season?

WhiteSox = Life
07-03-2003, 02:26 AM
It really shouldn't but a player swinging only for the long ball, especially in such a stupid competition like the Home Run Derby has often led players to get locked into a home run swing and messes up their thinking, swing and approach.

Having never been in a Derby, I don't know why it does this, but it quite often does screw up some hitters.

For example, and this isn't the HR Derby: Frank Thomas in 2000 admitted he was trying to catch Troy Glaus for the Home Run title by swinging for the fences more than usual. His numbers went down somewhat and in the playoffs, his swing was totally off.

A batting swing takes long enough to get locked in, and just a small thing can mess everything up. Hitting home runs, or trying to, is one of the easiest ways to mess your swing up.

valposoxfan
07-03-2003, 03:31 AM
I don't know, it looks like Frank swings for the fences a lot as it is. I really don't think that participating in the Home Run Derby is going to hurt him in any way. But that's just my opinion. Go Sox!!!

Nellie_Fox
07-03-2003, 12:40 PM
It's not as likely to hurt a guy like Sosa or McGwire who swings for the fences on every swing anyway. Frank is a line-drive hitter who tries to swing down on the ball. A home-run derby calls for an uppercut.

It's just not worth the risk to have Frank participate in an exhibition contest if it will possibly screw up his swing for even a couple of days.

thecell
07-03-2003, 01:15 PM
We should probably quaratine the whole team in a big room and put them all in giant bubbles so nothing happens to them for the rest of the year. I hope Frank is in the derby in front of the hometown fans and gives us a great show. GO SOX and Frank!