PDA

View Full Version : Everett Deal Could be Costly

Viva Magglio
07-03-2003, 12:29 AM
Teddy Greenstein has us paying a potentially high prospect price for Carl Everett:

For those of you Tribune-registered (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-030702soxnotes,1,4967255.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)

voodoochile
07-03-2003, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
Teddy Greenstein has us paying a potentially high prospect price for Carl Everett:

For those of you Tribune-registered (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-030702soxnotes,1,4967255.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)

Knock yourself out, Texas. And, thanks...

doublem23
07-03-2003, 12:33 AM
The Trib is just trying to cover their asses... Everyone else has been saying there will be nothing more than mid-level prospects involved here.

voodoochile
07-03-2003, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
The Trib is just trying to cover their asses... Everyone else has been saying there will be nothing more than mid-level prospects involved here.

That's exactly what those guys are, mid-level prospects, even if Webster is rated 3rd in the organization, Borchard and this kid everyone is talking about recently Reed are both going to make the bigs before Webster. Besides, the Sox have how many potential corner outfielders floating around these days?

kermittheefrog
07-03-2003, 12:56 AM
There's a fair chance the Rangers won't take Webster anyway. They need pitching, their offense is set and they have more in the minors.

Chisoxfn
07-03-2003, 12:58 AM
I hope Webster isn't part of the deal, but he is an A ball outfielder that is still very raw so a lot could happen. Rather him then Reed, even if Reed isn't quite as "toolsy".

Still I think the Sox could of done this cheaper, but until a deal is official this is all speculatory.

I'd guess for sure Malone and Diaz are in it and then Rupe would be a good choice if I were the Rangers.

Plus, we drafted Sweeney, Anderson, King so we have tons of depth thats more mlb ready the Sweeney and supposed to be really talented (Sweeney and Anderson; For some reason I think King will be a good hitter).

jeremyb1
07-03-2003, 01:30 AM
i can't believe webster is involved. he's eons better than all the other prospects on that list. regardless of needs if texas doesn't jump on him, hart is completely out of his mind. the rest could come back to hurt us but they're all longshots. with the exception of webster all the players have huge downsides: malone has been injured, diaz doesn't have incredible stats at charlotte and is 23, yan is old for his league, allen's k's and bb's aren't impressive, and rupel, francisco, and hummel are all fringe prospects. webster is the one, clear slam dunk in the group (one of these things is not like the others). he's done nothing but show outstanding on base skills for three consecutive seasons and he's only 20.

MarkEdward
07-03-2003, 01:45 AM
Webster is the only one I'd really miss, maybe Yan also. The Rangers can have the rest.

kermittheefrog
07-03-2003, 02:10 AM
It's not like Webster is amazing. This year in Kannapolis his walk rate has dwindled over the year and his slugging is under .400. Who gets to the majors slugging under .400? Luis Castillo is the one guy I can think of with that kind of skill set and when he was in the minors his plate discipline was better. Castillo posted .400 OBPs in the minors to make up for having such little power. Webster doesn't look like a future major league regular just yet.

Saracen
07-03-2003, 07:36 AM
According to an unnamed major league source, this is the pool the Rangers have to choose from (this is from today's Trib):

Trib Article (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-030702soxnotes,1,4967255.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)

The biggest name, according to the source, is outfielder Anthony Webster, whom Baseball America ranked as the organization's No. 3 prospect. The 20-year-old Webster is batting .297 for Kannapolis and ranks second in the Class A South Atlantic League in both runs scored (58) and hits (87).

Another player believed to be available is pitcher Felix Diaz, who's 3-5 with a 3.71 ERA at Charlotte. The Sox acquired Diaz from San Francisco last July in the Kenny Lofton trade.

Baseball America ranks him eighth, two spots behind Corwin Malone, a left-hander who's also said to be on the list. Malone, who has faltered since posting a 1.98 ERA in three minor-league stops in 2001, is 2-2 with a 7.16 ERA at Birmingham.

The rest of the list, according to the source:

Second baseman/outfielder Ruddy Yan: Leads the Carolina League in runs scored (62), stolen bases (45) and hits (87) and ranks seventh in average (.304).

Pitcher Wyatt Allen: 5-3 with a 3.29 ERA at Winston-Salem. Ranked 24th among organization's prospects.

Pitcher Josh Rupe: 4-3 with a 5.09 ERA at Kannapolis. Ranked 26th by Baseball America.

Pitcher Frankie Francisco: 5-3 with a 4.11 at Winston-Salem. Ranked 29th.

Pitcher Rick Hummel: 2-3 with a 1.47 at Kannapolis.

delben91
07-03-2003, 07:58 AM
Well, I don't like Webster being on there, nor Diaz. Webster, though it's early, definitely showed signs of being able to be a contributor in the majors someday. And, being a solid arm in AAA, Diaz could provide a couple of stop-gap starts for the Sox this year if need be (though Ginter is still there too). Other than that, seems like mainly border-line prospects/projects to me, an admitted non-expert. Randar? Vic? Kermit? Daver (though what the hell do you know)?

moochpuppy
07-03-2003, 08:45 AM
There, everybody should be able to breath a sigh of relief. I'm not very concerned about Webster being on there. Outfielders are a dime a dozen.

dougs78
07-03-2003, 09:27 AM
I am not to concerned about this list either. Obviously I'd like to keep Webster becuase I've heard good things about him. But the fact is I think Kenny was quite smart in this deal and heres why. See Texas gets to pick 2 if they take one of the top guys, and 3 if they take from the lesser pool. Now, consider the fact that the Rangers need pitching, pitching and more pitching. So taking Webster would mean they only get 1 pitcher out of the deal and probably a low guy who has only a low shot at ever reaching the majors. So to cover their bets, Texas might be smarter to take 3 pitchers from the lower pool in the hopes that they increase their odds of ever getting a major leaguer out of it. Also, in doing that, it means we only give up A ball pitchers.

Nice move Kenny.

:hawk:

"I love it when you think 'outside the box!'"

JUGGERNAUT
07-03-2003, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by Saracen
According to an unnamed major league source, this is the pool the Rangers have to choose from (this is from today's Trib):

Trib Article (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-030702soxnotes,1,4967255.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)

The biggest name, according to the source, is outfielder Anthony Webster, whom Baseball America ranked as the organization's No. 3 prospect. The 20-year-old Webster is batting .297 for Kannapolis and ranks second in the Class A South Atlantic League in both runs scored (58) and hits (87).

Another player believed to be available is pitcher Felix Diaz, who's 3-5 with a 3.71 ERA at Charlotte. The Sox acquired Diaz from San Francisco last July in the Kenny Lofton trade.

Baseball America ranks him eighth, two spots behind Corwin Malone, a left-hander who's also said to be on the list. Malone, who has faltered since posting a 1.98 ERA in three minor-league stops in 2001, is 2-2 with a 7.16 ERA at Birmingham.

The rest of the list, according to the source:

Second baseman/outfielder Ruddy Yan: Leads the Carolina League in runs scored (62), stolen bases (45) and hits (87) and ranks seventh in average (.304).

Pitcher Wyatt Allen: 5-3 with a 3.29 ERA at Winston-Salem. Ranked 24th among organization's prospects.

Pitcher Josh Rupe: 4-3 with a 5.09 ERA at Kannapolis. Ranked 26th by Baseball America.

Pitcher Frankie Francisco: 5-3 with a 4.11 at Winston-Salem. Ranked 29th.

Pitcher Rick Hummel: 2-3 with a 1.47 at Kannapolis.

As reported in the Dallas news:
They will get two or three prospects from a group of eight minor leaguers agreed upon by the Rangers and White Sox. If they go for a top prospect, Texas will get two players. If they opt for more mid-level prospects, they get three.

That pool could include:

• Right-hander Rick Hummel, 22, who is 1-0 with a 0.39 ERA at Class A Kannapolis;

• Right-hander Frankie Francisco, 23, who is 3-2, 2.95 at Class A Winston Salem;

• Left-hander Corwin Malone, 23, who is 2-2, 7.16 at Double-A Birmingham;

• Left-handed hitting outfielder/leadoff type Anthony Webster, 20, hitting .297 with 18 steals at Class A Kannapolis.

"While not everybody may be one of the their top prospects, we should be able to get a package that's intriguing," Rangers assistant general manager Grady Fuson said. "The best part is this deal still gives us time to go back and take a couple more looks at some of these guys."

hold2dibber
07-03-2003, 11:24 AM
You never know with young players, but Webster's the only guy on the list that I would lose much sleep over trading. But with Reed ahead of him in the system and Webster still in A ball, losing Webster would certainly be an exceptable loss in order to acquire Everett.

Also, since the Rangers have a few weeks to continue to evaluate these guys, maybe the Sox should whisper in Webster's ear to see if he wouldn't mind lollygagging, striking out, throwing as inaccurately as possible, intentionally breaking the wrong way on fly balls, etc. over the next few weeks so as to dissuade the Rangers from taking him.

Randar68
07-03-2003, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
You never know with young players, but Webster's the only guy on the list that I would lose much sleep over trading. But with Reed ahead of him in the system and Webster still in A ball, losing Webster would certainly be an exceptable loss in order to acquire Everett.

Also, since the Rangers have a few weeks to continue to evaluate these guys, maybe the Sox should whisper in Webster's ear to see if he wouldn't mind lollygagging, striking out, throwing as inaccurately as possible, intentionally breaking the wrong way on fly balls, etc. over the next few weeks so as to dissuade the Rangers from taking him.

Webster is third in the Sox system CF depth chart IMO. Brian Anderson and Reed (although he may end up in LF) is already ahead of him. The thing that I really like about Webster is he has lead-off potential.

34 Inch Stick
07-03-2003, 11:43 AM
Let's get the Bulls trainer out there to find one of those famous "injuries".

joecrede
07-03-2003, 12:03 PM
I hope that list is accurate because any two or three off that list is well worth Everett for three months AND the Rangers picking up his salary.

Webster might have slipped to fourth on the centerfield depth chart behind Borchard, Anderson, and Ricardo Nanita who is tearing up Great Falls and has some CF skills.

jeremyb1
07-03-2003, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
It's not like Webster is amazing. This year in Kannapolis his walk rate has dwindled over the year and his slugging is under .400. Who gets to the majors slugging under .400? Luis Castillo is the one guy I can think of with that kind of skill set and when he was in the minors his plate discipline was better. Castillo posted .400 OBPs in the minors to make up for having such little power. Webster doesn't look like a future major league regular just yet.

yeah, i hadn't picked up his declining walk rate, i was shocked to see his obp was only .360. regardless, i still feel he's head and shoulders above the other players on the list. while he's not an incredibly prospect, for a 20 year old he's performing quite well especially for a guy considered to be a toolsy prospect. since we don't have a great system these days, the guys that are merely very good and not incredible take on added value in my opinion.

as for the future of the centerfield position, reed is almost certainly not going to be there as he's already playing most of his games as a corner outfielder, borchard is doubtful to stay in centerfield and has to have been passed on the depth charts considering this is the second consecutive year he's failing to hit .250 in AAA. the only guy that may remain in centerfield and could be ahead of webster on the depth charts would have to be anderson.

gogo59
07-03-2003, 08:54 PM
Is anyone else unenthusiastic about this trade because, whatever Everett's talents (and given his performance over the last month, you have to wonder if 2002 is a better indication of what we're getting than April/May 2003), it's hard to root for a past-his-prime guy who the Sox are renting for a few months. I'd much rather take a chance on Rowand, who seemed to be coming around after finally recovering from the offseason bike accident, knowing that, if he does well, the Sox will have him for a while.

And that's before we even get to the question of who the Sox are giving up. The group of 8 mentioned by the Trib are not Andrew Salvos and they're not Edwin Almontes (with 7+ ERA's). They're young guys who are almost all (everyone except Malone) showing a lot of promise this year and have in the past.

Daver
07-03-2003, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by gogo59
Is anyone else unenthusiastic about this trade because, whatever Everett's talents (and given his performance over the last month, you have to wonder if 2002 is a better indication of what we're getting than April/May 2003), it's hard to root for a past-his-prime guy who the Sox are renting for a few months. I'd much rather take a chance on Rowand, who seemed to be coming around after finally recovering from the offseason bike accident, knowing that, if he does well, the Sox will have him for a while.

And that's before we even get to the question of who the Sox are giving up. The group of 8 mentioned by the Trib are not Andrew Salvos and they're not Edwin Almontes (with 7+ ERA's). They're young guys who are almost all (everyone except Malone) showing a lot of promise this year and have in the past.

Hey welcome aboard! :redneck

PaleHoseGeorge
07-03-2003, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by gogo59

Welcome to WSI.

I'm not worried too much about these deals because we got talented MLB ballplayers without adding salary to fill obvious holes in our line up. There is only 3 months left in the season and the Sox are well positioned to win the division crown and get a shot at a championship. Losing a few B and C grade minor leaguers is not a very big price to pay.

After all, the object isn't to collect "prospects" in the minor leagues, but to WIN championships. There is little doubt in my mind the Sox will be propelled far closer to that objective for having made these trades.

Saracen
07-03-2003, 09:05 PM
Everett was hurt last year, plain and simple. He's just a fun guy to have around, always throwing off zany quotes like the one from last night: "On the last at-bat, I was getting chills," Everett said. "I felt kind of like a woman, everybody was so excited about it."

Take it from someone in Dallas - Everett has been a really good guy down here with the Rangers, and he's always good for crazy Rodman-like quotes. I'd like to see Rowand get his shot, but Everett is a major upgrade at the plate.

stefaninsane
07-04-2003, 09:29 AM
Didn't the Sox have like the best minor league system in MLB right before the K-Dogg took over? Umm...what happened?

Daver
07-04-2003, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by stefaninsane
Didn't the Sox have like the best minor league system in MLB right before the K-Dogg took over? Umm...what happened?

Ron Schueler.