PDA

View Full Version : Frank "The Big Hurt" Thomas!

voodoochile
07-02-2003, 09:49 PM
:hurt

Look at that face. Look at the man who has been the main reason to see the Sox for more years than anyone else in club history. Look at the player who has deserved far better than he has received these past few years from a bunch of ungrateful whiny "so called" fans. Go on Look!

Frank Thomas is the man. All you naysayers can bite me! And, while your at it, thank Frank for sticking around with this organization when they treated him like dirt.

Pick up the extension now, Jerry.

fquaye149
07-02-2003, 09:50 PM
^ amen

FarWestChicago
07-02-2003, 09:51 PM
Preach on Brother voodoo!!! :bandance:

SoxxoS
07-02-2003, 09:54 PM
I heard that tricep injury takes 2 full years to recover from. Now, I really don't doubt it..

spanishwhite
07-02-2003, 10:00 PM
I bet that those anonymous scouts who said
that Hurt didn't have bat speed are hiding now.

Hurt you are just ridiculous! I love how you made
your presence known among the newcomers!

Alomar and Everett, pick up the pace you both are
now in an actual race!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kilroy
07-02-2003, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by spanishwhite
Alomar and Everett, pick up the pace you both are
now in an actual race!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It will be interesting to hear what they have to say about their 1st game with the Sox.

Bet that woke them up...

TornLabrum
07-02-2003, 10:11 PM
Welcome to a real pennant race! Thanks, Frank! Thanks, Paulie!

CaptainJinks
07-02-2003, 10:38 PM
I've had a big smile on my face for over an hour now, and its all thanks to Big Frank. Excellent post, voodoochile!

Clarkdog
07-02-2003, 10:41 PM
Thomas's AB in the 12th was easily the best plate appearance I have ever seen.

Once I saw Thomas fighting off the change ups off the plate then rifling the inside fastballs foul you knew that Guardado was not going to fool Thomas. Thomas WAS going to put the ball in play and he WAS going to hit it hard. It was just a matter of whether anyone could or would catch it.

If that AB doesn't get Thomas a nod for the All Star Game, Scioscia should have his head examined.

TRL
07-02-2003, 10:42 PM
It was an incredible at bat. He was giddier than a school girl after the game.

WhiteSox = Life
07-02-2003, 10:44 PM
As was said in the post-game show, you would've had to have been dead not to feel emotion after that win!

Beautiful AB's, beautiful game, beautiful sweep!

mike squires
07-02-2003, 10:48 PM
WOW!!! It was great to see Big Frank so jubilant during that interview after the game tonight! Unbelieveable.

I had little tears in my eyes for Paulie when he hit that homerun. It sounded like Hawk was a little choked up as well. That was the Hawk of old...a genuine call and spur of the moment. "PAUL KONERKO HAS TIED THIS GAME UP AT 6!!!"

I turned the volume up as loud as it could go as my wife lay asleep on my chest as soon as I saw Paulies' swing

This will be one I will remember for a long time.

Fisk72
07-02-2003, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by TRL
It was an incredible at bat. He was giddier than a school girl after the game.

Oh yeah! I think Frank Thomas of 1993 and '94 jumped in a time machine and kicked the a$$ of Frank Thomas of 1999 and 2001! Well, whatever the case, I'm glad we stuck with him and he stuck with us! I want him to finish his career here....but not after another four or five years!

sox_fan_forever
07-02-2003, 10:55 PM
Awesome game!!! I wish I could have been there. As it was, I didn't even get to see it. Work again, but I think Jjav is right...I should work more often. :bandance:

Jjav829
07-02-2003, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by sox_fan_forever
Awesome game!!! I wish I could have been there. As it was, I didn't even get to see it. Work again, but I think Jjav is right...I should work more often. :bandance:

If you keep this up, maybe we can get a pool going to pay you a little extra to make it worth your while to keep working. :D:

Procol Harum
07-02-2003, 11:03 PM
Absolutely breathtaking AB in the 12th!!! Big Frank is makin' a statement! If he isn't selected for the All-Star game there oughta be an investigation.

A.T. Money
07-02-2003, 11:12 PM
Frank not playing in the stadium he built on July 15 will be a crime!!!!!!

Truly awesome!!! I feel so good about this team.

koch44
07-02-2003, 11:12 PM
How Sweep It Is! :sweep

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid67/pe824a360fd78fa5404d3bd7ebe89fc3b/fbc6a161.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid67/p9acaabe06a464c45bed95a17a558cb1f/fbc6a167.jpg

voodoochile
07-02-2003, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by koch44

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid67/pe824a360fd78fa5404d3bd7ebe89fc3b/fbc6a161.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid67/p9acaabe06a464c45bed95a17a558cb1f/fbc6a167.jpg

That second one is now my desktop...

chisox06
07-02-2003, 11:21 PM
Ok guys. At the start of the year, I was about the biggest Frank basher you could find around here. So you can all feel free to give me a swift virtual kick in the ass after this one! FRANK IS BACK! This team is on an absoulte tear and I was about as excited as Ive been in a long time when Frank bashed that one outa there! The South Side is the place where people can go see a real baseball team, not a pretender. What a game!

Chisox06, PROUD MEMBER OF THE FRANK THOMAS CLUB!
:) :D: :gulp:

chisox56
07-02-2003, 11:27 PM
This game reminded me of the frank thomas of 93 and 94. He battled in that count and hit the best homer of the year for the sox. This makes a statement for frank to be in the all-star game and not to be snubbed like in 2000.

sox_fan_forever
07-02-2003, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
That second one is now my desktop...

Mine too!

:)

mike squires
07-02-2003, 11:40 PM
One thing Frank has going for him (despite his recent surge and comeback) is that Jerry will be a coach. Maybe he will have a good word or two for Mr. Scioscia.

fquaye149
07-03-2003, 12:19 AM
those jerseys look damn good

Thunderstruck30
07-03-2003, 12:57 AM
I am so glad he didnt sign with another team in the offseason when he was a free agent. I wonder if there are some GMs out there kicking themselves for not picking him up.

WinningUgly!
07-03-2003, 01:22 AM

Look at that face. Look at the man who has been the main reason to see the Sox for more years than anyone else in club history. Look at the player who has deserved far better than he has received these past few years from a bunch of ungrateful whiny "so called" fans. Go on Look!

Frank Thomas is the man. All you naysayers can bite me! And, while your at it, thank Frank for sticking around with this organization when they treated him like dirt.

Right on Voodoo!

I still get pissed when I think back to last year, when so many people were calling Frank "Big Skirt" on these boards. I never understood how Sox fans were able to just turn him & kick him when he was down. The guy was coming back from a major injury, had to deal with the diminished skills crap all year long & got booed in the house he built.

Here's to Big Frank & all the real fans that have supported him through thick & thin. :gulp:

hose
07-03-2003, 05:56 AM
Originally posted by koch44

The Big Hurt ......awesome

Fisk Fan
07-03-2003, 07:18 AM
You could see it in Frank's face last night as he rounded third coming home. That last AB he battled until he got the pitch he wanted and smoked it to left. This is an exciting time to be a Sox fan!!!!!!

hsnterprize
07-03-2003, 07:39 AM
When I say Paulie hit that homer, I couldn't help but smile for the guy. And like another poster said, it almost sounded like Hawk was getting a little choked up. Hey...I'm happy as a clam Paulie hit that homer, but when Frank hit that 2-run shot in the 12th, I could look at his demeanor right after he hit the ball. and could tell it was gone.

I've always said Frank Thomas was my favorite player. There have been times when I've been in the locker room when he's had a bad game, and I'd pat him on the back and try to cheer him up. He's actually a nice guy, and I'm sure he's a little more popular now with the streak he's on.

One question...should he represent the Sox in the home run contest the Monday before the All-Star Game? You know Sham-Me will be hitting in it. Two Question...will the "Corky" chant be as loud when Sammy hits in the contest? Three question...who will demand Sosa's bat be checked after he hits?

:bandance: The banana says...our star doesn't need a corked bat to "entertain the crowd."

delben91
07-03-2003, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by hsnterprize
When I say Paulie hit that homer, I couldn't help but smile for the guy. And like another poster said, it almost sounded like Hawk was getting a little choked up. Hey...I'm happy as a clam Paulie hit that homer, but when Frank hit that 2-run shot in the 12th, I could look at his demeanor right after he hit the ball. and could tell it was gone.

I've always said Frank Thomas was my favorite player. There have been times when I've been in the locker room when he's had a bad game, and I'd pat him on the back and try to cheer him up. He's actually a nice guy, and I'm sure he's a little more popular now with the streak he's on.

One question...should he represent the Sox in the home run contest the Monday before the All-Star Game? You know Sham-Me will be hitting in it. Two Question...will the "Corky" chant be as loud when Sammy hits in the contest? Three question...who will demand Sosa's bat be checked after he hits?

:bandance: The banana says...our star doesn't need a corked bat to "entertain the crowd."

I don't know about Frank being in the Home Run Derby. I remember a few years ago when he was in it and he slumped through mid-August, popping everything up. Later he said he was still going for the fences with every swing after the Home Run Derby and it messed up his swing.

As for the Corky chant, I hope it's rocking the place, but not as much as it should be when Loaiza's out on the mound!

:bandance: Banana's taste better than Twinkies anyday!

mrwag
07-03-2003, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by hsnterprize
I've always said Frank Thomas was my favorite player. There have been times when I've been in the locker room when he's had a bad game, and I'd pat him on the back and try to cheer him up.
Pardon my lack of knowledge of all the posters here, but what's your tie to the ballclub, to be able to be in the locker room?

Hangar18
07-03-2003, 08:22 AM
Im telling you......and some of us who made that trip to the
West Coast to see the Sox and Dodgers, before the game,
Thomas was warming up on the field, and I swear, there was
a Look to him, he Just LOOKED LIKE A BAD-ASS. He looked
DETERMINED, MEAN and ready to throw a VW across the infield.
We yelled out "big hurt" to him, and he looked over, acknowledged us with a mean stare, shook his head toward us.
He was bad-ass and READY!!

hold2dibber
07-03-2003, 08:39 AM
I was doing the happy victory banana dance all over the living room after Frank's HR last night. To be down 4-0, then go down 6-5 in the 11th, to have PK hit a 2-out pinch hit homer to tie it, then to have the best hitter in team history jack one out after going down in the count 0-2 with 2 outs in the 12th to win it, and all of it coming one day after the team made two major trades to fortify the team, and coming against the friggin' Twins, and to sweep the Twins, and to finish a 9-3 stretch against the Twins and Cubs, are you kidding me? I caught the high lights four times last night, and I swear, I literally busted out laughing with joy all four times. What a night!

Hangar18
07-03-2003, 08:47 AM
I was doing the White Sox Banana Dance in the bleachers
last nite too. I think there were like 29, 000 others doing
it too he heh. I think the Banana has something to do w it too

kevingrt
07-03-2003, 09:43 AM
Frank is just heating up now! The guy is back and he is getting clutch hits or should I say clutch HR's

Nellie_Fox
07-03-2003, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by chisox06
At the start of the year, I was about the biggest Frank basher you could find around here. Not as long as bc2k was drawing breath, you weren't!

idseer
07-03-2003, 11:54 AM

Look at that face ... yada yada yada ...
Go on Look!

Frank Thomas is the man. All you naysayers can bite me!

i KNOW you had this post sitting around for over a year now just waiting for your chance to use it. :smile:

well i can't say i blame you. he's looking pretty good right now. let's hope he can keep it up right into the post season.

voodoochile
07-03-2003, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by idseer
i KNOW you had this post sitting around for over a year now just waiting for your chance to use it. :smile:

well i can't say i blame you. he's looking pretty good right now. let's hope he can keep it up right into the post season.

Nope, it came to me as an inspiration after last night's game. But, there is no one happier to see the big man make the haters eat their words...

Gumshoe
07-03-2003, 03:08 PM
The OLD Frank. But remember he was the OLD Frank in 2000 and then he dropped off the face of the earth. I love how his approach has changed, but he has always been treated how he has deserved to be treated . That's how we deal with your people here on the South Side. He whined more than anyone at times! Finally he's back. I'm with it. I like it. But when I was saying to trade him, he couldn't hit CRAP (that was the last 2 years, my man).

Go Sox!

Gumshoe

Hangar18
07-03-2003, 03:10 PM
I hope Jerry Manuel remembers that this HITTING STREAK
began when THOMAS STARTED PLAYING 1B REGULARLY.
Did you hear that Jerry? Stop DH'ing Thomas and play
him at FIRST REGULARLY

Dadawg_77
07-03-2003, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
I hope Jerry Manuel remembers that this HITTING STREAK
began when THOMAS STARTED PLAYING 1B REGULARLY.
Did you hear that Jerry? Stop DH'ing Thomas and play
him at FIRST REGULARLY

Frank's ankle is a little sore, so DHing him allows him to get some rest for it while not losing his bat. He should seeing time at 1B in the next series thou.

WinningUgly!
07-03-2003, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Gumshoe
The OLD Frank. But remember he was the OLD Frank in 2000 and then he dropped off the face of the earth. I love how his approach has changed, but he has always been treated how he has deserved to be treated . That's how we deal with your people here on the South Side. He whined more than anyone at times! Finally he's back. I'm with it. I like it. But when I was saying to trade him, he couldn't hit CRAP (that was the last 2 years, my man).

Go Sox!

Gumshoe

He "dropped off the face of the earth" in 2001 because he lost his father & suffered a torn triceps injury within the 1st 20 games of the season. His numbers were down a bit in 2002, because he was obviously not fully recovered from the injury. He did not deserve to get treated the way he did last season. I remember being at a game last year when he was booed every time he came to the plate. It was the only time in my life I felt embarrassed to be a Sox fan. He's healthy now & putting up "Old Frank numbers" again. No surprise here.

voodoochile
07-03-2003, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!

Originally posted by Gumshoe

Go Sox!

Gumshoe

He "dropped off the face of the earth" in 2001 because he lost his father & suffered a torn triceps injury within the 1st 20 games of the season. His numbers were down a bit in 2002, because he was obviously not fully recovered from the injury. He did not deserve to get treated the way he did last season. I remember being at a game last year when he was booed every time he came to the plate. It was the only time in my life I felt embarrassed to be a Sox fan. He's healthy now & putting up "Old Frank numbers" again. No surprise here.

Yeah, and his "problems" had nothing to do with the way Manuel has treated him and allowed others on the team to treat him. When did Frank become the whipping boy for this team? All he has ever done is try his damnedest to make the team a winner. Man, no other shoe-in HOF player in all of MLB gets the lack of respect and constant attacks on his character that Frank gets.

The haters still want to make this into something it isn't. Frank is the man. Admit it, then admit you were wrong, then move on. It's really that simple...

RKMeibalane
07-03-2003, 05:41 PM

Excellent post, voodoo! I can't begin to tell you how proud I was to see Frank crush that ball. The White Sox are a team to be reckoned with once again, and it's because Frank Thomas has been carrying them. He has regained his status as the best hitter in baseball, and people are beginning to take notice.

Jjav829
07-03-2003, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Excellent post, voodoo! I can't begin to tell you how proud I was to see Frank crush that ball. The White Sox are a team to be reckoned with once again, and it's because Frank Thomas has been carrying them. He has regained his status as the best hitter in baseball, and people are beginning to take notice.

Whoa, Frank is certainly back but he is not the best hitter in baseball. Perhaps you haven't heard of Barry Bonds, Albert Pujols, Carlos Delgado, Brian Giles, Manny Ramirez, etc. Let's not go overboard here.

Jjav829
07-03-2003, 07:20 PM

Yeah, and his "problems" had nothing to do with the way Manuel has treated him and allowed others on the team to treat him. When did Frank become the whipping boy for this team? All he has ever done is try his damnedest to make the team a winner. Man, no other shoe-in HOF player in all of MLB gets the lack of respect and constant attacks on his character that Frank gets.

The haters still want to make this into something it isn't. Frank is the man. Admit it, then admit you were wrong, then move on. It's really that simple...

Have you ever stopped to think that maybe, just maybe, the haters aren't as wrong as you think?

FarWestChicago
07-03-2003, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
Have you ever stopped to think that maybe, just maybe, the haters aren't as wrong as you think? I have. And they are wrong and always have been.

gosox41
07-03-2003, 11:54 PM

I agree.

Is there a list of any of the WSI Sox bashers from last offseason. I remember a thread where Frank was criticized and that led to the Frank Thomas Club (which I'm a proud member of.)

Any of you guys out there? What do you think of Frank now?

Bob

CaptainJinks
07-28-2003, 10:38 PM
bump

southsidegirl
07-29-2003, 10:52 AM

Amen! Ever since I was about 5 years old I've been amazed with Frank Thomas. He was my sole reason for becoming such a hardcore Sox fan, and although he's not the only reason I stick with them, I would DIE if he ever got traded or signed with another team. My dad(he's a cubs fan) would always try to convince me that Frank was a bad person because sometimes he says things that were misunderstood, but I would never ever listen to him. I plan to drag my family along with me to visit the HOF when he makes it in.

brewcrew/chisox
07-29-2003, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by southsidegirl

I plan to drag my family along with me to visit the HOF when he makes it in.

Last night on ESPNRadio 1000, Moron Mariotti was filling in for both Harry and MCneill. Moron stated that unless Big Hurt hit 500 homeruns, he wouldn't make the HOF........AND even if he did, he might still be the first to do so and still not make it, because he made so many enemies in the press.

Seriously, I can not believbe they give this guy air time as well that crap he writes for the Scum Times. I wanted to reach through my radio and strangle the guy. To make it worse, he continued to sing the praises of Shammy, saying that if there are no more corked bat incidents, he will be a certain HOF representative.

NO MORE CORKED BAT INCIDENTS?!!!!

Can he be any more ridiculous?

gosox41
07-29-2003, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by brewcrew/chisox
Last night on ESPNRadio 1000, Moron Mariotti was filling in for both Harry and MCneill. Moron stated that unless Big Hurt hit 500 homeruns, he wouldn't make the HOF........AND even if he did, he might still be the first to do so and still not make it, because he made so many enemies in the press.

Seriously, I can not believbe they give this guy air time as well that crap he writes for the Scum Times. I wanted to reach through my radio and strangle the guy. To make it worse, he continued to sing the praises of Shammy, saying that if there are no more corked bat incidents, he will be a certain HOF representative.

NO MORE CORKED BAT INCIDENTS?!!!!

Can he be any more ridiculous?

When I heard the Moron's voice on the radio yesterday, I immediately flipped it off. Listening to McNeil preach is one thing. Listening to Grobber and his Cubs lovefest is, at times, unbearable. But listening/reading Jay Marriotti is worse then getting kicked in the nuts.

Bob

kempsted
07-29-2003, 01:35 PM

Yeah this was especially stupid since this past Sunday Eddie Murray was put in the hall of fame. The press hated him as well and still put him in the first time they got the chance. By the time Thomas is eligible for the hall none of this will matter.

TommyJohn
07-30-2003, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by brewcrew/chisox

He made enemies in the press? Who? Who besides Mariotti
considers Thomas one of his many sworn blood-oath arch-
enemies?

FJA
07-30-2003, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by kempsted
Yeah this was especially stupid since this past Sunday Eddie Murray was put in the hall of fame. The press hated him as well and still put him in the first time they got the chance. By the time Thomas is eligible for the hall none of this will matter.

There is a reason we call him Moronotti. He's an absolute drama queen ... whenever he talks about Thomas, it goes something like, "Oh, what a tragedy that this great '90s slugger couldn't keep up Ruthian-like numbers and now he's shot himself in the foot by offending the noble baseball press." In reality, I don't think much of the press really cares that much if Thomas is ornery with the press as long as he's productive for the Sox, which he is. At the end of the day, five years after Thomas has retired, people are going to look at the numbers and remember, "Oh yeah, that guy was a great hitter" instead of "In his final years his production slipped slightly and he offended Jay Mariotti, the pinnacle of Chicago media."

(Think of the way he talked about Corky at first: "Sammy, you have betrayed me. I believed in you. I worshiped you. But now I can't believe a word you say. You are the world's greatest fraud" (or something similar). I mean, c'mon ... the guy corked his bat, he didn't take Jay's first born.)

END RANT HERE

voodoochile
07-30-2003, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by FJA
There is a reason we call him Moronotti. He's an absolute drama queen ... whenever he talks about Thomas, it goes something like, "Oh, what a tragedy that this great '90s slugger couldn't keep up Ruthian-like numbers and now he's shot himself in the foot by offending the noble baseball press." In reality, I don't think much of the press really cares that much if Thomas is ornery with the press as long as he's productive for the Sox, which he is. At the end of the day, five years after Thomas has retired, people are going to look at the numbers and remember, "Oh yeah, that guy was a great hitter" instead of "In his final years his production slipped slightly and he offended Jay Mariotti, the pinnacle of Chicago media."

(Think of the way he talked about Corky at first: "Sammy, you have betrayed me. I believed in you. I worshiped you. But now I can't believe a word you say. You are the world's greatest fraud" (or something similar). I mean, c'mon ... the guy corked his bat, he didn't take Jay's first born.)

END RANT HERE

Isn't that a scene from "The Natural" where the writer (Robert Duvall?) tells Redford's character that "hero or goat, you will make me a good story. And that is all I care about." Moronotti to a "T". He has no scruples and only cares that people read what he writes.

TommyJohn
07-31-2003, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by FJA

END RANT HERE

Great post. Keep in mind that he also called Albert Belle "a threat
to humanity" called the Sox "scum" and a "gutter team" after the
high slide game in Wrigley, went berserk once when Mike Ditka
called reporters "SOBs" (his article called Ditka a monster) and
said that the "whole world" was laughing at us over the Tonya
Nancy thing.

Mike Royko wrote two funny, blistering blasts at the last two
articles. He had that guy pegged. He ended one with a great
quote: "...put all sports columnists on Prozac."

CaptainJinks
04-18-2004, 10:12 PM

Voodoochile, every time I think of this quote I get a smile almost as broad as the one on Big Frank's face.

Thanks, Frank for your part in getting our team off to the best start in years!

ChiSox14305635
04-19-2004, 12:00 AM
Frank deserves better. I'd love to see another columnist bash Mariotti the way he bashes Thomas.

JohnBasedowYoda
04-19-2004, 12:11 AM
i am a thomas fan and hope i see him this sat. Get well big boy

batmanZoSo
04-19-2004, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by JohnBasedowYoda

I'm goin this saturday too. And he had better be there.

Caaause iiif heee iiisn't.....

red faber
04-19-2004, 03:32 AM
Originally posted by JohnBasedowYoda

what's his injury??????????

ChiSox14305635
04-19-2004, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by red faber
what's his injury??????????

Hurt his right hamstring running into 2nd base yesterday.