PDA

View Full Version : Quote Of The Day / Year? 7/2

Lip Man 1
07-02-2003, 08:56 PM
"We've got an opportunity here, and one of the best ways to recapture some of the fan base we've lost over the years and get the city's interest back on the South Side is to win. And to win big.

"You can see the possibilities in the future only so long. It's been a long time here in Chicago. It's time. If you've got an opportunity, you've got a window, you take a shot. You may be right, you may be wrong, but you go down swinging."-- Kenny Williams to the assembled Chicago media

Amen brother!

Lip

dougs78
07-02-2003, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

Amen brother!

Lip

Lip, I'm obviously excited about these trades and renewed management interest for its own sake. But honestly, its great to see you so excited and happy. You seem like a kid who had been longing for a gift he knew he'd never get, only to find it under the tree on christmas morning. Glad to see you happy!

TornLabrum
07-02-2003, 11:30 PM
I've waited for going on 44 years to see the Sox make another appearance in the World Series. I think the problem is going to be that if we actually do go "deep into the playoffs," which is the stated goal of these trades, the fans are going to want a repeat.

I'm sick of a playoff appearance every 5 or 10 years. This is the third largest market in the country, and we should do better than that. One more playoff appearance is not enough. One World Series is not enough.

If this thing does get put together this year, we have to perpetuate it. Reinsdorf has to commit to putting out a contender (and I don't mean .500 or better--I mean a real contender every year.

Every once in awhile someone posts, "Would you put up with 10 (or 20 or 25) years of sub-.500 series for a World Series win?" The answer should always be, "That's ridiculous. We should demand good teams. We should demand that the ownership be responsible to the fan base.

Of course this means that when they do make the right moves, the fans need to go out and support the club. Kenny Williams has shown the fans good faith. The Sox were rewarded with 19,000+ fans tonight. I would suggest that this needs to increase. That way maybe there will be more bucks to spend on more players who can perpetuate this thing rather than making it a one-year flash in the pan. I'm sick of one-year wonder teams.

I'm sick of the loser mentality of the ownership and its fans. I may call our GM "Prof. Chaos" but that has nothing to do with his DESIRE to win. He's shown me again and again he wants to do something. And remember, folks, he has to do it under the financial constraints placed on him by the ownership group, led by The Chairman. (That's why Alomar and Everett came with cash considerations.)

WIN NOW BUT KEEP ON WINNING!

captain54
07-02-2003, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
. And remember, folks, he has to do it under the financial constraints placed on him by the ownership group, led by The Chairman. (That's why Alomar and Everett came with cash considerations.)

Financial constraints caused by the same ownership and the Chairman eroding a once healthy fan base with some real, real bad decisions, I might add.

Its really, really nice to see some life injected into this franchise for once, when only a few weeks ago we were talking about White Flag II after the All Star Break...

But I pose this question to all posters: As postive as all the moves are, would they have happened at all had the Chairman had to open the wallet and fork out some cash??

Just remember this franchise will NEVER spend money to make money....