PDA

View Full Version : A Deal that will 'Blow our minds'(?)

Randar68
07-02-2003, 05:19 PM
Heard Hawk was on the radio and said Kenny is working on another deal that "Will Blow Your Socks OFF!"

what the heck!?!?!? Jerry going for it all in one year?

Any top pitchers out there available? Maybe Giles? who knows!?!?

Anyone hear the interview?

Unregistered
07-02-2003, 05:21 PM
Apparently Hawk was on the Score w/ North and said that, although he can't talk about it, Kenny is working on a deal that if it goes through, will "blow our minds". Did anyone else hear this?

kevingrt
07-02-2003, 05:22 PM
Damn, I missed it... I was listening to Mac, Jurko, & Harry. Can't stand North, sorry.

Mac, Jurko & Harry are expecting him to come on though, so I'll be listening with ears wide open.

ScottySoxFan
07-02-2003, 05:26 PM
What the hell else do we have left to trade?

Unregistered
07-02-2003, 05:26 PM
Everyone (the listeners) thinks it's a trade for Pedro. We'll see...

kevingrt
07-02-2003, 05:27 PM
Pedro... I would faint, seriously! Would the Red Sox pay for his salary? haha

1951Campbell
07-02-2003, 05:30 PM
Ponson?

kevingrt
07-02-2003, 05:31 PM
We're going to have to listen to Bruce Levine on the Sox pregame show today... he always is on top of these things!

spanishwhite
07-02-2003, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Heard Hawk was on the radio and said Kenny is working on another deal that "Will Blow Your Socks OFF!"

what the heck!?!?!? Jerry going for it all in one year?

Any top pitchers out there available? Maybe Giles? who knows!?!?

Anyone hear the interview?

I doubt that it would be Giles, but the way theyve been dealing
recently, its not out of the question.

I think he might go for some more pitching. Maybe a top of the line pitcher, if it will blow our minds.

ScottySoxFan
I don't see dealing for Ponson as "blowing my socks off."

Unless if maybe we traded almost nothing to get him.

MetalliSox
I was watching the LIVE press conference this afternoon on FSN with the ALomar bro's and Kenny and KW said he was taking a few days off. Sounded like he was done. Maybe he is bluffing. Like when we were kids on X-mas day and you're parents are like, "That was your last gift." and you are like, "Oh man!", and your mom goes, "JUST KIDDING" and hands you the biggest box ever.

If it will knock our "Sox" off and it is a starting pitcher, wouldn't be surprised if it is Schilling or Johnson?

I doubt Boston would trade away Pedro now.

Foulke You
07-02-2003, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by KonerkosHip
If it will knock our "Sox" off and it is a starting pitcher, wouldn't be surprised if it is Schilling or Johnson?

I doubt Boston would trade away Pedro now.

I thought Schilling would be a possibility but he hasn't expressed an interest on playing on the South Side and Arizona is back in the race now. I agree that Boston won't trade Pedro now. It will be interesting to see who it could be. This is exciting!! :D: :D: :gulp:

39thandWallace
07-02-2003, 06:02 PM
I have heard Jeff Weaver's name kicked around but that doesn't blow any minds either.

LuvSox
07-02-2003, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by 39thandWallace
I have heard Jeff Weaver's name kicked around but that doesn't blow any minds either.

That would just blow period.

spanishwhite
07-02-2003, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by ScottySoxFan

Plenty

rmusacch
07-02-2003, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by kevingrt
We're going to have to listen to Bruce Levine on the Sox pregame show today... he always is on top of these things!

Did Levine say anything on the pre game show?

Lip Man 1
07-02-2003, 08:06 PM
Schilling under no circumstances will ever play for the Sox.

The Red Sox under no circumstances will deal Pedro.

The D'backs now that they had won 12 straight will not be dealing Johnson.

To try to sort out this riddle, look at average or bad teams who happen to have a pitcher having a good year.

Lip

Chisoxfn
07-02-2003, 08:18 PM
I don't see dealing for Ponson as "blowing my socks off."

Unless if maybe we traded almost nothing to get him.

Remember, Hawk is a big Ponson fan

SoxxoS
07-02-2003, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by 1951Campbell
Ponson?

Ponson is definitely not a pipedream...

Jjav829
07-02-2003, 08:30 PM
I bet its Arod or Nomar.

Man, this is so exciting. I hope this goes through. I wonder who it would be...

SoxxoS
07-02-2003, 08:30 PM
What about Griffey?

koch44
07-02-2003, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
What about Griffey?

We already have Everett.

Nails
07-02-2003, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by koch44
We already have Everett.

I suppose either he or Griffey could DH and Thomas play first

SoxxoS
07-02-2003, 08:44 PM
Probably trade Carlos Lee to Cincy and move Everett to left and put Griffey in Center.

Jerko
07-02-2003, 09:34 PM
Maybe who WE TRADE is the part that will blow our minds. Who knows?

MHOUSE
07-02-2003, 09:39 PM
Colon and Jimenez for Pedro and Sanchez?

fquaye149
07-02-2003, 09:51 PM
Probably trade Carlos Lee to Cincy and move Everett to left and put Griffey in Center.

psssh. what does cincy want with carlos? but i do think we're shaping up to add a cf...because c e is definitely just a stop gap in center

B. Diddy
07-02-2003, 10:20 PM
Al Leiter? Danny Graves? Scott Williamson? Ugueth Urbina?

voodoochile
07-02-2003, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by B. Diddy
Al Leiter? Danny Graves? Scott Williamson? Ugueth Urbina?

If it is going to blow people's minds, it has to be a household name. I think the most likely candidates are big name pitchers. I don't see the Sox pursuing more position players unless they can somehow trade Crede for Lowell - which supposedly isn't going to happen this year.

A.T. Money
07-02-2003, 11:27 PM
According the official White Sox board, some people heard Hawk say on the Score that there may be another big deal in the works, possibly involving Sidney Ponson.

This is just heresay though. I didn't hear it, just read it. Take it for what it's worth. Anyone else hear about this?

A.T. Money
07-02-2003, 11:28 PM
Here is a link

http://www.forums.mlb.com/n/mb/message.asp?webtag=ml-whitesox&msg=18220.1&ctx=0

doublem23
07-02-2003, 11:38 PM
I also remember the internet "assuring" us Kenny Williams would be gone as GM like 2 1/2 months ago.

Good call.

Scotty347
07-02-2003, 11:54 PM
I was listening this afternoon and here is the summary...
Hawk was talking to Buffone and Rosenbloom (North is on vacation) and they were talking to him about how excited everyone is about the trades. Hawk agreed and talked about it for a couple minutes. Then he said that there is another trade rumor and if it goes through it will "blow your mind" He was very excited about it. Right away, one of the Score guys came back and said "Is it a pitcher?" and Hawk said, "I really can't say."

So there it is. Not much substance, but all of the rumors have been coming true the last couple days, so we'll see what happens.

chisox56
07-02-2003, 11:56 PM
Maybe it is shawn chacon, it would blow our minds because he is an 11 game winner. That is just a thought, don't hold it against me.

doublem23
07-02-2003, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by chisox56
Maybe it is shawn chacon, it would blow our minds because he is an 11 game winner. That is just a thought, don't hold it against me.

The Rockies are 43-41 (IIRC.. around there)... They've got a pretty solid team starting to form there, doubtful they'll be trading any one that can actually pitch there.

chisox56
07-02-2003, 11:58 PM
if it is a pitcher and it is a reliever maybe percival

kermittheefrog
07-03-2003, 12:06 AM
I think this would be a disaster but I thought of Tejada. He'll be a free agent and he's a lot more expendable than Giambi was going out the door. Bobby Crosby is a suitable replacement. Beane might even see Jimenez as a suitable replacement. I would really hate to waste talent acquiring Tejada. He's Mr. Overrated and Mr. Swings at Everything.

Another name to throw out: Carlos Delgado. Who knows?

WhiteSox = Life
07-03-2003, 12:21 AM
I might be able to see Tejada being traded by Beane to the Sox, but only if Billy thinks he can fleece Kenny again. I hope it doesn't come to that.

And, as long as Delgado is in a division race with the Yankees and the Red Sox, I don't think the Blue Jays are going to trade him. Not to mention doing so without immediate major league compensation would kill the fan base, especially considering how fantastic Delgado has played.

I don't see either of those trades happening, but I do think another one is in the works. And, I'm guessing pitching. Of course, guessing doesn't do much.

If a trade is coming, it probably won't be for a little while.

Anyway, till another move is done, go White Sox!

guillen4life13
07-03-2003, 12:24 AM
let's analyze this. Here are the weak spots on this team:

3B (and if Crede stays, it won't be too weak once he learns the ropes).

C (dealing Sandy would probably piss Robbie off pretty nicely.... not a good idea).

5th spot (Wright is a marginal 5th starter... a little to erratic for my liking). This looks like the most likely position to be upgraded.

Well, this would definitely knock my socks off... and it would surprise me in a good way. Check this out:

3 Way deal involving the Yanks and Sox in which the Sox would send a few prospects to Team X, Team X would send a reliever and X prospects, and the Yanks would send Ventura to the south side. Ventura would platoon with Crede.

That type of move could really help Crede out in his development, and it would boost the fan/team morale a bunch. Am I for it? Not until I see who the Sox give up. Of course, this is all fully hypothetical.

As I said earlier, a deal to upgrade the 5th spot in the rotation is most likely (if this is in fact going to happen). Who are candidates who would do well to fill that void?

Miguel Batista (depending on who they want in return)

Brian Lawrence (I'm weary... the Padres will want a lot)

Omar Daal (There were rumors that the Sox were trying to get him... so he could be a target)

Chuck Finley (unsigned... it all depends on the asking price and whether he's ready to jump in and start pitching soon)

Rick Helling (I wouldn't mind him as a backend starter)

Al Leiter

Steve Traschel (Jimenez for Traschel? Could shine, or could blow up)

Ismael Valdes (Not a bad pitcher... and Texas might take some of that contract)

Jarrod Washburn (Anaheim's quite far back in the Wildcard and Division race... maybe they're thinking about a firesale).

John Lackey (Playoff Experience... good guy to round off the rotation)

Now, it's far past my bed time, and what I've put up here was put up in a sleepy stupor, so don't be surprised if some of it is pretty stupid. I forgot, I don't have a designated bedtime.

I love summer!
Of the above, 2 would "blow me away." Brian Lawrence, and Al Leiter.

guillen4life13
07-03-2003, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Another name to throw out: Carlos Delgado. Who knows?

Not while they're in the race for that division, and certainly not with that price tag he boasts (he's in the ball park of 16-18 mil this year).

Tejada would be a stupid move, because

1) Beane will fleece Kenny, getting Jimenez and other high end prospects.
2) Tejada has not had a good year so far, and I for one think that Valentin is perfect where he is right now. The Sox don't need another middle of the order type hitter.

If shortstop is to be replaced... it's going to be replaced with a true leadoff hitter (Rollins or someone of that sort).

Brian26
07-03-2003, 09:20 AM
The Ventura rumor is hot. I mean REALLY hot.

Fisk Fan
07-03-2003, 09:26 AM
The rumor that I heard was Konerko and Danny Wright for Greg Maddux. I'm not sure how much validity this rumor has, but like everything else, it is just a rumor.

ilsox7
07-03-2003, 09:27 AM
Just curious...this Ventura rumor and this Maddux rumor...sources? Where are these things being heard?

Hullett_Fan
07-03-2003, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Fisk Fan
The rumor that I heard was Konerko and Danny Wright for Greg Maddux. I'm not sure how much validity this rumor has, but like everything else, it is just a rumor.

Hmmm... intriguing. But would JR be willing to pay even 25% of Maddux's $20 mill (IIRC) salary this year???? Doubt it.

SoxxoS
07-03-2003, 09:33 AM
Just thought of one-
How about Hank Blalock or Mark Texiera?

I don't think KW can increase the payroll that much, so I think maybe KW is looking for young studs. Who knows, I am just throwing names out there-

Crede, Garland and a stud prospect for Blalock/Texiera?

Then we come right back and trade for Ponson?

Fisk Fan
07-03-2003, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by ilsox7
Just curious...this Ventura rumor and this Maddux rumor...sources? Where are these things being heard?

One of the guys on my softball team heard it on the radio broadcast last night before our game. This was the same way that the Everett deal was leaked, but I'm not sure if it was Rooney or Farmer. Either way, the clock is ticking.......

SoxxoS
07-03-2003, 09:36 AM
If Konerko gets going, that opens up a TON of doors.

MarqSox
07-03-2003, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by Hullett_Fan
Hmmm... intriguing. But would JR be willing to pay even 25% of Maddux's $20 mill (IIRC) salary this year???? Doubt it.

Considering Konerko is still owed about $17 million or so, it would be a wash financially. In fact, the Sox may even come out ahead if the Braves paid some of Maddux's salary. How about that playoff rotation Maddux, Loaiza, Buehrle and then Colon and Garland out of the pen. I like it.

Hullett_Fan
07-03-2003, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by MarqSox
Considering Konerko is still owed about $17 million or so, it would be a wash financially.

Great point...it's too early so I can't think straight :D:

voodoochile
07-03-2003, 09:43 AM
Considering Konerko is still owed about $17 million or so, it would be a wash financially. In fact, the Sox may even come out ahead if the Braves paid some of Maddux's salary. How about that playoff rotation Maddux, Loaiza, Buehrle and then Colon and Garland out of the pen. I like it.

I wouldn't be surprised by that at all - it would certainly blow my mind. This seems the most likely to me. I think the Sox are working out what other compensation to throw in (Rauch?).

Can you imagine the reaction of flubbie fans everywhere?

Tribune headline:

"Sirotka almost ready to pitch again. Sox acquire washed up Maddux."

TornLabrum
07-03-2003, 09:45 AM
According to someone who posts here on a regular basis and who has sources with the club, the trade in the works is for a "west coast pitcher," or maybe that was "left coast pitcher."

Let the rumors fly!

Randar68
07-03-2003, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
According to someone who posts here on a regular basis and who has sources with the club, the trade in the works is for a "west coast pitcher," or maybe that was "left coast pitcher."

Let the rumors fly!

Kevin Brown? Randy Johnson (Arizona certainly has questionable financial issues), Odalis Perez? Percival?

raul12
07-03-2003, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by Fisk Fan
One of the guys on my softball team heard it on the radio broadcast last night before our game. This was the same way that the Everett deal was leaked, but I'm not sure if it was Rooney or Farmer. Either way, the clock is ticking.......

hmmm, maybe it will be Alex Rodriguez for B prospects, and Texas picks up the rest of his contract. Should this be in teal or deep pink?

moochpuppy
07-03-2003, 09:55 AM
Troy Glaus and Ramon Ortiz

for

Konerko, Crede and Rauch

A.T. Money
07-03-2003, 09:56 AM
Innnnnnnnnteresting.....

raul12
07-03-2003, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by moochpuppy

for

Konerko, Crede and Rauch

Would that specific deal be off the table now that Rauch is back on the DL? Day-to-day, I think in terms of pure numbers, Glaus is a bit overrated, but he's pretty clutch. Has he broken out of his horrible slump yet?

MarkEdward
07-03-2003, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
I wouldn't be surprised by that at all - it would certainly blow my mind. This seems the most likely to me. I think the Sox are working out what other compensation to throw in (Rauch?).

I really can't see the Braves trading Maddux. He's their second-best starter, and the Braves are in the playoff race. Trading Maddux would be the equivalent of us trading Colon right now.

And we'd need to give up more than Wright, Konerko, and Rauch. Throw in Daubach and someone like Garland, then the Braves would start talking.

MarqSox
07-03-2003, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by moochpuppy

for

Konerko, Crede and Rauch

Anyone know Glaus' contract status? Wow, I would love that trade. It would be dually good, since it would keep Glaus off the Flubs. It'd be tough to part with those three, but if the future is now, let's not half-ass it.

MarkEdward
07-03-2003, 10:09 AM
Anyone know Glaus' contract status? Wow, I would love that trade. It would be dually good, since it would keep Glaus off the Flubs. It'd be tough to part with those three, but if the future is now, let's not half-ass it.

He's signed through 2004, making 6.75 million this year and nine milllion next year.

MarqSox
07-03-2003, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
He's signed through 2004, making 6.75 million this year and nine milllion next year.

Something tells me, we could double our payroll and if it brought us a world championship, it would pay for itself and then some with all the additional season tickets we'd sell next year. C'mon JR, you're an ass but you're also a businessman ... make this happen.

1951Campbell
07-03-2003, 10:21 AM
Something tells me, we could double our payroll and if it brought us a world championship, it would pay for itself and then some with all the additional season tickets we'd sell next year. C'mon JR, you're an ass but you're also a businessman ... make this happen.

:reinsy
"Okay, but you know you all get the Marlins fire sale come 2004, right?"

MarqSox
07-03-2003, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by 1951Campbell
"Okay, but you know you all get the Marlins fire sale come 2004, right?"

I would accept 10 straight losing seasons if it meant raising a World Champions flag in April.

hold2dibber
07-03-2003, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by raul12
hmmm, maybe it will be Alex Rodriguez for B prospects, and Texas picks up the rest of his contract. Should this be in teal or deep pink?

Yes. (Deepteal? tealpink?)

Hullett_Fan
07-03-2003, 10:35 AM
Mark Prior??!!! Mark Prior??!!!

hold2dibber
07-03-2003, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
I really can't see the Braves trading Maddux. He's their second-best starter, and the Braves are in the playoff race. Trading Maddux would be the equivalent of us trading Colon right now.

And we'd need to give up more than Wright, Konerko, and Rauch. Throw in Daubach and someone like Garland, then the Braves would start talking.

I think the Sox would to do better than Wright, Konerko and Rauch, but not much better. Remember, Maddux is a free agent at the end of the year, so I think that would temper any demand by the Braves. With that said, because they are a legit World Series contender, they're going to want someone who can help them now -- Wright/Konerko/Rauch doesn't really make them a better team right now. I think it would take Garland (someone who can take Maddux's place in the rotation and at least hold his own) and either Daubach or Konerko, plus Gordon or possibly Glover or White or Wunsch.

With that said, I don't see it happening. Maddux has been ineffective this year, and a move to the AL and away from his long time pitching coach seems unlikely to get him out of his funk. Plus, the Braves, if anything, are probably looking to bolster their rotation (since it has been their hitting that has carried them).

Randar68
07-03-2003, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Hullett_Fan
Mark Prior??!!! Mark Prior??!!!

Let's step back... Which West Coast teams might be willing to deal?

Seattle? No

San Fran? No

LA? Only if it is payroll dumping, I would guess (Kevin Brown?)

Arizona? They have financial issues, but they are back in the race, I doubt they would trade RJ or Schill (he'd turn it down)

Oakland? They don't have any high-priced pitchers they
d be trying to unload, IMO.

Anahiem? Makes the most sense, but who? Lackey? Percival?

Pitchers on West Coast teams??? They really aren't a lot of realistic possibilites that would "blow your mind" outside of Brown, RJ, and Percival...

maurice
07-03-2003, 11:02 AM
Current stats for Greg Maddux and left coast pitchers (for informational purposes only):

Maddux: 1.28 WHIP / 4.84 ERA
Washburn: 1.21 / 4.30
Appier: 1.42 / 4.56
Ortiz: 1.50 / 4.66
Schoeneweis: 1.35 / 4.94
Percival: 0.84 / 2.88
Webb: 0.99 / 2.10
Batista: 1.27 / 2.91
Schilling: 0.99 / 3.04
Brown: 1.07 / 2.24
Nomo: 1.10 / 2.71
Ishii: 1.41 / 2.91
Perez: 1.31 / 4.44
Shuey: 0.90 / 1.11
Gagne: 0.76 / 2.20
Hudson: 1.12 / 2.97
Zito: 1.16 / 3.17
Mulder: 1.23 / 3.25
Halama: 1.48 / 4.55
Lilly: 1.37 / 5.06
Foulke: 1.02 / 2.60
Peavy: 1.30 / 3.85
Eaton: 1.40 / 4.63
Lawrence: 1.18 / 4.67
Beck: 1.00 / 3.27
Schmidt: 0.93 / 2.14
Rueter: 1.47 / 3.86
Eyre: 1.31 / 3.38
Moyer: 1.17 / 3.01
Meche: 1.19 / 3.14
Pineiro: 1.21 / 3.41
Franklin: 1.16 / 3.49
Garcia: 1.29 / 4.13
Rhodes: 1.05 / 3.22

MarqSox
07-03-2003, 11:03 AM

LA? Only if it is payroll dumping, I would guess (Kevin Brown?)

LA's hitting has been atrocious while their pitching has been among the best in baseball, so they can afford to part with a pitcher if it brings them a hitter. If we could convince them that Konerko will turn it around in the second half and be willing to eat some of his salary, we may be able to acquire Ishii. If we threw in Wright or Garland and some minor leaguers, I think Nomo would not be out of the realm of possibility.

Hullett_Fan
07-03-2003, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by maurice
Maddux: 4.84 ERA / 1.28 WHIP

Thanks for posting that. I don't follow the NL but I thought I heard he wasn't having a great year. IMO, he'd do even worse in AL (DH, smaller K zone)

Imiss23
07-03-2003, 12:14 PM
I was at the game Wednesday night. I think KW knows he needs a centerfielder whose name is not Everett. My guess is he trades Carlos Lee for a bona fide centerfielder and moves Everett over. It would have to be a top flight player though. I'm not sure Pierre qualifies, and I don't know that Griffey has any gas left in the tank.

Maracucho
07-03-2003, 12:23 PM
If the idea is to solidify center, KW will probably look at Randy Winn in seattle. He's not an offensive powerhouse, but he'd be able to play center and he bats lefthanded. I wouldn't trade Lee for Winn, but the mariners need some offense from leftfield and could really use him . The other point is that Winn is a free agent at the end of the year, while Lee is signed through next year, with a year of arbitration left. The sox would probably have to get at least a good (but not great) prospect in return.

delben91
07-03-2003, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Imiss23
I was at the game Wednesday night. I think KW knows he needs a centerfielder whose name is not Everett. My guess is he trades Carlos Lee for a bona fide centerfielder and moves Everett over. It would have to be a top flight player though. I'm not sure Pierre qualifies, and I don't know that Griffey has any gas left in the tank.

Hey, welcome aboard!

:bandance:

A.T. Money
07-03-2003, 12:27 PM
We shouldn't think of trading Lee. Lee is a future star in this league. Look at all the good he's done for us.

Randar68
07-03-2003, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by SoxDemon
We shouldn't think of trading Lee. Lee is a future star in this league. Look at all the good he's done for us.

Heck, IMO we should keep him around just to kill the Cubs every year (Jose too!)

jabrch
07-03-2003, 12:35 PM
Get me two good relievers and I will be thrilled. (Not to say I wouldn't love adding an ACE SP)

Shilling, however, will never happen. He was a leader of the labor side during the strike and hates Jerry R.

ilsox7
07-03-2003, 12:36 PM
Heck, IMO we should keep him around just to kill the Cubs every year (Jose too!)

We should be allowed a 25 man roster plus 2 additional spots desginated for Cub Killers.

Joel Perez
07-03-2003, 01:34 PM
Just thought of one-
How about Hank Blalock or Mark Texiera?

I don't think KW can increase the payroll that much, so I think maybe KW is looking for young studs. Who knows, I am just throwing names out there-

Crede, Garland and a stud prospect for Blalock/Texiera?

Then we come right back and trade for Ponson?

No way that will happen from Texas' point of view...they are setting their payroll up to secure more middle of the road pitching and youth. Blalock and "Big Tex" are definitely part of the Rangers future.

WillieHarris12
07-03-2003, 01:40 PM
Maybe Kevin Brown? A bit old, but an All-Star this year.

Joel Perez
07-03-2003, 01:47 PM
I thought Dan Evans and KW hate each other. Why would Danny-boy trade his franchise to the South Side?

kevingrt
07-03-2003, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Joel Perez
I thought Dan Evans and KW hate each other. Why would Danny-boy trade his franchise to the South Side?

I'm pretty sure they do, and I don't think Dan Evans would be willing to give any talent to a franchise that totally dumped him.

longshot7
07-03-2003, 02:39 PM
You're right. Evans and Williams will not be trading with each other. If the dodgers get rid of anybody - it would be a second-tier starter like Nomo or Ashby - and that doesn't knock my socks off.

And don't get your hopes up for anyone from Anaheim - they're not gonna raise the white flag this soon after winning the world series.

I'm betting on Schilling - which I hope doesn't happen because he's still hurt.

What about Tim Hudson?

MarqSox
07-03-2003, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by longshot7

Won't be Schilling. He's got it in his contract that he won't accept a trade to the White Sox.

WillieHarris12
07-03-2003, 02:45 PM
Jarrod Washburn would be a good deal.

Tragg
07-03-2003, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Joel Perez

Well, they've made a couple of trades: Baldwin, McCay Christenson (perhaps part of the baldwin deal), Osuna.

B. Diddy
07-03-2003, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by longshot7
You're right. Evans and Williams will not be trading with each other. If the dodgers get rid of anybody - it would be a second-tier starter like Nomo or Ashby - and that doesn't knock my socks off.

And don't get your hopes up for anyone from Anaheim - they're not gonna raise the white flag this soon after winning the world series.

What about Tim Hudson?

Have you seen how far back in 3rd place Anaheim is? I think they're VERY likely to make a deal.

And there's no way that Oakland will give up Hudson... not when they have a great shot at the Wild Card (and perhaps the division). Arizona is starting to play well, so I'm not sure that Schilling would be a possibility either.

Randar68
07-03-2003, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by B. Diddy
Arizona is starting to play well, so I'm not sure that Schilling would be a possibility either.

Schilling has a no trade claus to keep him from coming to the White Sox and he hates Jerry Reinsdorf enough he would never waive it. Randy Johnson is the only possibility from Arizona, and I would think that would only happen if they went on a huge losing streak the next 3 weeks.

Anahiem is the only place that really makes any sense, and with the seeming lack of confidence in Koch, I really think Percival would be the main target.

hold2dibber
07-03-2003, 03:29 PM
Schilling has a no trade claus to keep him from coming to the White Sox and he hates Jerry Reinsdorf enough he would never waive it. Randy Johnson is the only possibility from Arizona, and I would think that would only happen if they went on a huge losing streak the next 3 weeks.

Anahiem is the only place that really makes any sense, and with the seeming lack of confidence in Koch, I really think Percival would be the main target.

That would seem to make some sense, in light of the other potential closers the Angels have on their roster, all of whom are much cheaper than Percival. But Percival has another year on his contract at $7.5 million. As much as I wouldn't be totally shocked to see JR green lighting the Sox adding a little extra payroll for the remainder of this year, I can't see him green lighting a deal that would cost him $7.5 million next year, too, particularly when the Sox just signed Koch through next year for relatively big bucks. The only way I could see it happening would be if the Angels were willing to take some 2004 salary from the Sox; maybe Konerko or Lee or Koch. As much as I'd love to have Percival, I'd rather have Colon next year than him, if that's what it came down to.

B. Diddy
07-03-2003, 03:30 PM

I agree that Percival should be pursued. We need either a stud closer or a solid, reliable starter like Ponson.

garlandrules
07-03-2003, 06:39 PM
How about Griffey and Williamson or Graves for Lee and Wright?

Everett moves to left and you get two good bullpen guys. :?:

garlandrules
07-03-2003, 06:52 PM
Playoff rotation would be fine with Loaiza, Buehrle, Colon and Garland. Bullpen would have Gordon and one of the Reds relievers. Griffey improves outfield defense tremendously. But not sure I'm ready to give up Lee...

:(:

Jurr
07-03-2003, 08:19 PM
I'm in Pittsburgh on vacation, and the Reds are in town. I've been to the park twice this week, and Griffey isn't worth bringing on. He's been burned on two fly balls, he jogs bases (one time, a Pirates player fell down giving him a triple opp, and he jogged lazily into second.).. he'd be a cancer.

ncfan
07-03-2003, 08:47 PM

Unfortunatley, they could use C.Lee, Konerko, or both.

TheKYSoxfan
07-03-2003, 10:36 PM
If Hawk mentioned a big trade that would blow our Socks off, then why not Vladimir Guerrero. It might cost us big though.

Daver
07-03-2003, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by TheKYSoxfan
If Hawk mentioned a big trade that would blow our Socks off, then why not Vladimir Guerrero. It might cost us big though.

Hey welcome aboard! :redneck

doublem23
07-03-2003, 10:52 PM

Montreal just went out and tried to snag Gonzalez... Whether or not they're truly being sellers or just trying to prepare for his departure, I don't know; but Guerrero would probably cost us a ton.

TheKYSoxfan
07-03-2003, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by daver

Thanks. It's nice to be aboard. It's nice to be able to talk to Sox fans.

TheKYSoxfan
07-03-2003, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Montreal just went out and tried to snag Gonzalez... Whether or not they're truly being sellers or just trying to prepare for his departure, I don't know; but Guerrero would probably cost us a ton.

True it would cost us a lot, but if we could get him maybe he could improve our defense in center. He has a cannon of an arm. Plus he's not to shabby with the bat. I'd rather have him over Tejada who isn't really that good.

doublem23
07-03-2003, 11:15 PM
True it would cost us a lot, but if we could get him maybe he could improve our defense in center. He has a cannon of an arm. Plus he's not to shabby with the bat. I'd rather have him over Tejada who isn't really that good.

Hasn't he been having hamstring problems? I don't know how well he could handle center...

gosox41
07-03-2003, 11:42 PM
:hawk

I lllloooovvveee making things up to get Sox fans excited.

Way to go Hawk. Do as I tell you and attendence will jump and we'll keep you hear another 10 years to annoy DJ. This is a great idea...manipulate the media to get fans exited.

WinningUgly!
07-04-2003, 12:02 AM
:tomatoaward

fquaye149
07-04-2003, 02:49 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
Hasn't he been having hamstring problems? I don't know how well he could handle center...

if manuel puts vlad in center he is the biggest moron to coach. ever. vlad has the best arm in baseball

if we somehow in some fantasy world ended up with vlad, he woudl play right, magglio center and everett in left almost certainly.

now maybe i can see maggs and everett flipped in that situation, but it seems stupid considering everett is primarily a left-fielder(at least that's where he played most, and maggs has played center) but the point is, if you put a guy with a cannon in center and keep a guy with merely an above avg arm in right, you're stupid as a manager....i don't think even jerry is that dumb

guillen4life13
07-04-2003, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by ilsox7

I pulled that Ventura thing out of the great realm known as my ***. It was just me playing around with stuff that I thought would blow peoples' minds, and I thought was remotely possible.

Remember, prior to last season, the Sox were rumored to be asking about Ventura.

Paulwny
07-04-2003, 09:28 AM
Hawk's comment of blowing your socks off may have been directed to the surprise trading of Konerko, a fan favorite, not the player he is traded for.

WillieHarris12
07-04-2003, 09:34 AM
If the deal was for Ponson. I'm glad he was rejected.

dougs78
07-04-2003, 09:38 AM
In my mind the first possibility of a "west coast" pitcher is Brian Lawrence. Hes a very quality starter for an awful, awful Padre's team. I don't know his contract situation or what they'd want, but it would be interesting to find out.

2nd possibility is Washburn. Hes been somewhat down this year after his career year last year, but I'd not be surprised to see the Angels want to trade.

pappy
07-04-2003, 10:50 AM
I hear it might be vasquez.....but i doubt the expos would trade him

Daver
07-04-2003, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by pappy
I hear it might be vasquez.....but i doubt the expos would trade him