PDA

View Full Version : Alomar, Everett, and compensation...

MarkEdward
07-02-2003, 11:49 AM
In order to get compensation draft picks for departing free agents, the team must offer the player arbitration. In arbitration, a player can't lose more than 20% of his original salary. This year, Carl Everett will make nine million. Therefore, in arbitration, Everett can't make less than about seven million. Roberto Alomar is making eight million this year, so he can't make less than six million in arbitration.

My question: should we even offer these players arbitration? If Alomar continues at the rate he's going, he'll probably finish with a .260/.330/.350 line. Is that worth six million? I don't think so. Everett will probably end hitting .270/.340/.490 (he's moving from an extreme hitters' park to a moderate hitters' park). Would you pay seven million for that, especially with the great center fielders in our system?

My conclusion: Hopefully Alomar and Everett will help us win something big this year, like a pennant or World Series. After this year, however, I'd let them walk without offering arbitration. Use the money to re-sign Colon and pick up some younger free agents.

By the way, I got most of the arbitration info from post number eight in this thread. (http://www.baseballprimer.com/clutch/archives/00007848.shtml#comments_19)

dougs78
07-02-2003, 12:17 PM
Unfortunately, I think you are reading the situation correctly MarkEdward. The more I thought about I came this realization as well. The bottomline is that we can't offer arbitration unless we know for certain they won't take it. One thing that is in our favor is that players like these typically want more job security than the 1 year contract would give them, making them unlikely to accept arbitration. I would think particulary if either or both (please, please please) have great second halves, they would want to cash in for a 3 year deal or so. That might turn out to be the ideal situation on all fronts.

But, as long as they can contribute to some playoff success I'll be happy no matter what!!

Randar68
07-02-2003, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by dougs78
Unfortunately, I think you are reading the situation correctly MarkEdward. The more I thought about I came this realization as well. The bottomline is that we can't offer arbitration unless we know for certain they won't take it. One thing that is in our favor is that players like these typically want more job security than the 1 year contract would give them, making them unlikely to accept arbitration. I would think particulary if either or both (please, please please) have great second halves, they would want to cash in for a 3 year deal or so. That might turn out to be the ideal situation on all fronts.

But, as long as they can contribute to some playoff success I'll be happy no matter what!!

They wil offer Alomar arbitration, but probably not Everett, IMO

kermittheefrog
07-02-2003, 01:41 PM
I'd offer them both arbitration. A one year deal isn't the worst thing in the world and I bet both of them would rather have multi-year deals for less money per year.

gosox41
07-02-2003, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by dougs78

If the Sox happen to make the playoffs and go far, I'd have no problem offering arbitration to the guys who made a difference and helped the Sox win, be it Alomar, Colon, Everett or anyone else.

If they all step it up and the sox win, then bring them all back.

Bob

jeremyb1
07-02-2003, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
I'd offer them both arbitration. A one year deal isn't the worst thing in the world and I bet both of them would rather have multi-year deals for less money per year.

yeah i would definately offer it to them but i fear reinsdorf will not be willing to take the risk of paying them. hopefully they do really well so that we play well and so that they won't consider accepting arbitration. we could easily replace the talent we've lost if we get compensation picks and jr provides a reasonable amount of money for signing bonuses.

MarkEdward
07-02-2003, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
yeah i would definately offer it to them but i fear reinsdorf will not be willing to take the risk of paying them. hopefully they do really well so that we play well and so that they won't consider accepting arbitration. we could easily replace the talent we've lost if we get compensation picks and jr provides a reasonable amount of money for signing bonuses.

I don't want to bring Alomar back next year. He's already entering his decline phase, and can only get worse. He's not worth six million this year, and he probably won't be worth six million next year.