PDA

View Full Version : Sox TOP minor leaguers Untouchable

ssang
07-02-2003, 11:47 AM
I've heard that the Sox have picked 4-5 minor leaguers that are untouchable for the Ranger's to acquire in the Everret trade? Is this true? And if so, who are they? I would guess Kris Honel, Jeremy Reed, Jon Rauch, Joe Borchard, and one more. Anyone have any info on this?

Randar68
07-02-2003, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by ssang
I've heard that the Sox have picked 4-5 minor leaguers that are untouchable for the Ranger's to acquire in the Everret trade? Is this true? And if so, who are they? I would guess Kris Honel, Jeremy Reed, Jon Rauch, Joe Borchard, and one more. Anyone have any info on this?

Webster, Cotts....

Everything I have heard is there is a pool of 8 players and based on who they select, they can choose 2 or 3 of them.

Chisoxfn
07-02-2003, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Randar68
Webster, Cotts....

Everything I have heard is there is a pool of 8 players and based on who they select, they can choose 2 or 3 of them.

Baseball America said it would be very similar to the Alomar deal.

hose
07-02-2003, 06:19 PM
Jon Adkins

kevingrt
07-02-2003, 06:20 PM
Jeremy Reed?

SoxxoS
07-02-2003, 09:43 PM
It better be more than 5 "untouchables" (not counting rookie ball) in this organization for Carl Everett-

Honel
Borchard
Reed
Webster
Cotts
Yan
Hummel
Rauch

All untouchable for Everett IMO.

Daver
07-02-2003, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
It better be more than 5 "untouchables" (not counting rookie ball) in this organization for Carl Everett-

Honel
Borchard
Reed
Webster
Cotts
Yan
Hummel
Rauch

All untouchable for Everett IMO.

Hummel and Rauch have no place on an untouchable list,at this point it is questionable they will ever play in the majors.Yan would also be a stretch to make an untouchable list,he has some gaudy numbers,but he is not even close to being a complete ballplayer,he is more of a project player that might come through and might not.

SoxxoS
07-02-2003, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by daver
Hummel and Rauch have no place on an untouchable list,at this point it is questionable they will ever play in the majors.Yan would also be a stretch to make an untouchable list,he has some gaudy numbers,but he is not even close to being a complete ballplayer,he is more of a project player that might come through and might not.

But we are talking about a 6 month "tad above average" rent a player here daver, not a trade for Adam Dunn.

Daver
07-02-2003, 10:10 PM
But we are talking about a 6 month "tad above average" rent a player here daver, not a trade for Adam Dunn.

Doesn't matter,in any sense of the word,you take the gamble to win now,it has been 44 years since this team won a pennant.

SoxxoS
07-02-2003, 10:33 PM
Doesn't matter,in any sense of the word,you take the gamble to win now,it has been 44 years since this team won a pennant.

Then why make any players untouchable then? There has to be a happy medium there...

We need a righty reliever, but I am not going to give up Reed for Matt Anderson.

Daver
07-02-2003, 10:38 PM
Then why make any players untouchable then? There has to be a happy medium there...

We need a righty reliever, but I am not going to give up Reed for Matt Anderson.

Perhaps you know the minor league system as it applies to the MLB team better than I do,but I have yet to see a player moved that cannot be replaced in short order,would you care to point out the error in my thinking?

SoxxoS
07-02-2003, 11:20 PM
Perhaps you know the minor league system as it applies to the MLB team better than I do,but I have yet to see a player moved that cannot be replaced in short order,would you care to point out the error in my thinking?

I am not quite sure what you are saying here daver. You can trade for players with minor league talent, however you just can't trade players just to "go for it" if you aren't getting the right deal. There will be a season after this one, and although I am all for "going for it" like I said before...that doesn't mean I would trade Jeremy Reed for Matt Anderson just because we need a righty reliever.

This all goes back to players being "untouchable" for certain players. I.E. Reed is untouchable for Everett, but not untouchable for Adam Dunn...

Daver
07-02-2003, 11:31 PM
I am not quite sure what you are saying here daver. You can trade for players with minor league talent, however you just can't trade players just to "go for it" if you aren't getting the right deal. There will be a season after this one, and although I am all for "going for it" like I said before...that doesn't mean I would trade Jeremy Reed for Matt Anderson just because we need a righty reliever.

This all goes back to players being "untouchable" for certain players. I.E. Reed is untouchable for Everett, but not untouchable for Adam Dunn...

You miss my point,you take the players on the MLB rosters contracts,add the rest of the forty man roster,and you compare that to the talent you have in the lower levels of the minors,and match it by contract length,this how you know what you can and can't deal by position and strength,in the Sox case you can deal a lot of pitching,but you can't deal a lot of position players.But then again you probably know this better than I do.

doublem23
07-02-2003, 11:49 PM
The only "untouchables" in the Sox system, I would say are Borchard, Webster, Reed, Honel, and Rauch (though he is slipping). The rest can be bought or sold... Sox had a sweet draft, so the minors should be restocked plenty.

Oh, I forgot Aaron Miles.

jeremyb1
07-03-2003, 12:01 AM
i would trade yan way before rauch. i don't see why everyone believes rauch is slipping so much. a 4.2 era in AAA isn't exactly the kiss of death. he could have more k's but a 55-18 k/bb rate is not so bad. his biggest problem has been the longball but everyone admits charlotte is a bandbox. if rauch doesn't have much of a shot of playing in the majors, you'd certainly better forget about borchard.

kermittheefrog
07-03-2003, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
i would trade yan way before rauch. i don't see why everyone believes rauch is slipping so much. a 4.2 era in AAA isn't exactly the kiss of death. he could have more k's but a 55-18 k/bb rate is not so bad. his biggest problem has been the longball but everyone admits charlotte is a bandbox. if rauch doesn't have much of a shot of playing in the majors, you'd certainly better forget about borchard.

A 4.2 ERA in AAA combined with a diminished strikeout rate, a history of injury and lost velocity all make Rauch no longer a commodity.

fsphog
07-03-2003, 10:56 PM
what if the guy (rauch) has been trying to pitch hurt - and its not exactly like his team has helped him out that much this year with 14-15 starts and only 5 decisions. maybe you guys should do a little more research or get out there yourselves before bashing players who are trying to do what they can to get to the big leagues.

oh, and by the way, im sure its real easy to come back from a torn labrum, torn rotator cuff, completely torn bicept tendon, an impingement, thermal capsule shrinkage, and bone spurs, especially in a years time.

stefaninsane
07-04-2003, 09:25 AM
maybe we can swap 'im for todd ritchie. woohoo!!