PDA

View Full Version : What should we do with Pauly?


soxfan45
07-02-2003, 10:26 AM
Any thoughts here?

I mean Konerko is going to command so many fewer chances at the plate with our new aquisitions. Does he just "ride the pines" and get an at-bat in some meaningless pinch hitting situation?
Or should he go try and get some at bats down in AAA?

If practice is going to get him out of his funk, he certainly won't be doing much of it up here in Chicago other than hitting in the cage.

I really feel for the guys because he is such a hard work and nice guy. But facts are facts...$6 million is a lot of money.

moochpuppy
07-02-2003, 10:31 AM
Trade him to the Cubs for Farnsworth.

delben91
07-02-2003, 10:34 AM
I can't recall if it was saturday's or sunday's game ( I think sunday ), when the Cubs intentionally walked Valentin to get to Konerko. The first time he lined out, hitting one right at the SS. The second time he popped up weakly and the secondbaseman caught it right around the pitcher's mound.

I was up in section 509 (rightfield, upper deck, behind the foul pole) so I could see into the Sox dugout pretty well with my binoculars. At any rate, once Pauly got back to the dugout he was pretty depressed. Took his helmet off, and just stood in front of the bat rack, staring at the ground. After about 15 seconds, he sat on the end of the bench and just stared at the ground throughout the next at bat. I really felt for the guy, he's giving it his all, and nothing's working. He gets an opportunity to contribute, doesn't come through, he knows it, and the fans start booing him. He may not be a superstar by firstbase standards, but he seems like a genuinely good person who is truly leaving everything he's got out on the field.

I really hope Konerko can turn it around, he's the type of player who deserves it...well, "deserves it" isn't the right phrase, but something to that effect. Kind of the opposite of how most of us didn't have any sympathy for Royce when he complained about not starting while hitting all of .096, you haven't heard a peep out of Paul, he knows he's playing bad, and respects JM's decision to bench him.

B. Diddy
07-02-2003, 10:38 AM
I'd say send him down to Triple A for 2 weeks. They can do that as long as he agrees, correct? There's no way that Paulie is going to get any at bats right now and that's pretty much the only way that he's going to get out of his funk...

...unless they're covering up an injury, like I've suspected (the hips, perhaps?). How does one go from three major league seasons at .280-.300 and 20-30 HR to .185 and 3 HR without an injury being involved? I'd hate to think that they would've signed damaged goods to a 3-year deal last fall, but I wouldn't put it past our front office.

I hope that I'm wrong about the injury, though. I really like Paulie and hope that this is just temporary mental glitch.

harwar
07-02-2003, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by soxfan45
Or should he go try and get some at bats down in AAA?

I remember a time when that is exactly what would happen.I remember years ago when a proven hitter would struggle mightily and get sent down and after a few weeks he would be back up and hitting again.I guess in todays baseball world that kind of thing is just not acceptable.

B. Diddy
07-02-2003, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by harwar
I remember a time when that is exactly what would happen.I remember years ago when a proven hitter would struggle mightily and get sent down and after a few weeks he would be back up and hitting again.I guess in todays baseball world that kind of thing is just not acceptable.

I think that Paulie not only should, but probably WOULD do this. I think that he's not only reasonable enough, but also probably desperate enough right now. If I were JM, I'd talk to him about it.

MarqSox
07-02-2003, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by B. Diddy
I think that Paulie not only should, but probably WOULD do this. I think that he's not only reasonable enough, but also probably desperate enough right now. If I were JM, I'd talk to him about it.

He's also gotta be thinking though ... what if he agrees to go to Charlotte, and his swing still doesn't come back? He may never see the majors again ... that's gotta be as scary for him as anything. In his mind, it may be safer for him to ride the bench all year than to accept a demotion that may end his career.

ode to veeck
07-02-2003, 10:57 AM
I think that Paulie not only should, but probably WOULD do this. I think that he's not only reasonable enough, but also probably desperate enough right now. If I were JM, I'd talk to him about it.

Fact of the matter is a healthy, hitting Paulie aka his former plate presence of the last few years, would be incredibly valuable to the Sox this summer if they could figure out the formula to make it happen--- given they've tried about every thing else, some serious plate time in AAA towards getting the groove on seems to make sense.

no way the Sox should dump him now, given his potential value to the current lineup plus his normally positive attitude, let alone the depreciated return value, given his season so far

soxfan45
07-02-2003, 10:57 AM
Yeah, I think you guys have hit it on the head, Pauly somehow needs to just get out of this enviornment. God forbid for him if Alomar and Everett start hitting and everyone forgets about him and he just sits down at the end of the bench waiting for that 1 at bat, thinking he will fail.

Getting out of Chicago and going to Charoltte (like Rowand did) might just be a good atmosphere for him. No-body knows him down there and he can do his own thing without the pressure and at least get some at bats.

Hes probably thinking that his mechanics are fine, and they probably are, but he just needs to believe that he is a good hitter again. Confidence in sports is absolutly essential.

B. Diddy
07-02-2003, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by MarqSox
He's also gotta be thinking though ... what if he agrees to go to Charlotte, and his swing still doesn't come back? He may never see the majors again ... that's gotta be as scary for him as anything. In his mind, it may be safer for him to ride the bench all year than to accept a demotion that may end his career.

They still have to pay him, though, don't they? He's making a pretty good buck. They wouldn't pay a guy like that and keep him in the minors. Especially a guy who's the most popular with the fans since Ventura.

JRIG
07-02-2003, 11:13 AM
Konerko is still hitting LHP fairly well to the tune of .273/.333/.439 . A platoon at DH between him and Daubach is a pretty good solution. If Konerko shows signs of breaking out, let him start against a righty.

Of course, the best option is for him to play on a regular basis at AAA, but I doubt this will happen.

Irishsox1
07-02-2003, 11:24 AM
If the Sox didn't have Alomar and Everett, I would say that Paulie should stay up and wait it out. But now, go down, get 5 game condition at bats and figure out what the heck happened. Then get him back in August and the good old Paulie hopefully will return. Other than a injury, I have no idea what happened. I know he got married recently. That can totally screw with a guys head. Look what happened to Big Frank when he married that yenta who ended up with a ton of Frank's cash.

SoxOnTop
07-02-2003, 11:28 AM
As much as I see Pauly as a vocal clubhouse leader and blue collar player, I haven't noticed any of his teamates sticking up for him or trying to talk him up in the papers.

Any possibility that he really just gives that impression to the media and actually is a disruptive prescence in the clubhouse? I'm as big a Paulie fan as anyone, but I'm not so dumb to think that I couldn't be fooled.

Anybody....

Tragg
07-02-2003, 11:36 AM
Konerko needs to go to AAA; he's taking up a roster spot that we need; plus, if he can regain his form, he'd be a huge asset to us.

dickallen15
07-02-2003, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by SoxOnTop
As much as I see Pauly as a vocal clubhouse leader and blue collar player, I haven't noticed any of his teamates sticking up for him or trying to talk him up in the papers.

Any possibility that he really just gives that impression to the media and actually is a disruptive prescence in the clubhouse? I'm as big a Paulie fan as anyone, but I'm not so dumb to think that I couldn't be fooled.

Anybody....


They are hiding the fact that his bad hip is whats causing this. I'm sure the team has a gag order when it comes to Paulie. Its hard to be a leader when your level of performance has dipped as low as his. If it is his hip, as has been widely speculated and denied by Paulie, then he is most likely done.

MarqSox
07-02-2003, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by dickallen15
If it is his hip, as has been widely speculated and denied by Paulie, then he is most likely done.

Which is exactly why I don't think he'll ask to go to AAA. If he knows his end is near, he'll want to stay here as long as possible. No way would he want to end his career as a reserve for the Charlotte Knights.

B. Diddy
07-02-2003, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by dickallen15
They are hiding the fact that his bad hip is whats causing this. I'm sure the team has a gag order when it comes to Paulie. Its hard to be a leader when your level of performance has dipped as low as his. If it is his hip, as has been widely speculated and denied by Paulie, then he is most likely done.

Perhaps a degenerative hip, like Albert Belle?

Barely haf a year after KW forks over a 3-year deal to him. Good thing we're going to try to win this year, because it ain't gonna happen again for a while...

Paulwny
07-02-2003, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by dickallen15
They are hiding the fact that his bad hip is whats causing this. I'm sure the team has a gag order when it comes to Paulie. Its hard to be a leader when your level of performance has dipped as low as his. If it is his hip, as has been widely speculated and denied by Paulie, then he is most likely done.

I find it hard to believe that a possible injury of this magnitude can be kept from the press. Players are traded , released , etc someone would have leaked this type of info.
PK's trying to justify his contract and instead of meeting the ball he's trying to pull everything.

dickallen15
07-02-2003, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
I find it hard to believe that a possible injury of this magnitude can be kept from the press. Players are traded , released , etc someone would have leaked this type of info.
PK's trying to justify his contract and instead of meeting the ball he's trying to pull everything.



The press has questioned him about it , but it has been denied, as I wrote. The White Sox would be scortched by the press for giving him that contract and having the hip deteriorate to the point it has. He used to pull everything with power, now he hits flyballs to right and popups on the infield, he has no torque. He is not striking out much, he must be seriously injured. Steff on the other board has inside info, and has it on good authority he has taken several shots for his hip this season.

B. Diddy
07-02-2003, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
I find it hard to believe that a possible injury of this magnitude can be kept from the press. Players are traded , released , etc someone would have leaked this type of info.
PK's trying to justify his contract and instead of meeting the ball he's trying to pull everything.

Perhaps and perhaps not. For all we know, there could be a stipulation on gag orders in everyone's contracts and a financial penalty for violations. Or maybe Rios and Jiminez will say something soon.

What I find difficult to believe is that PK could slump this badly without it being related to an injury. The acquisition of Carl Everett seems to suggest that the front office somehow KNOWS that Paulie's problems aren't going to be fixed anytime soon. And, given that KW just signed PK to a 3-year deal this past fall, it would be in his (and the organization's) best interest to do everything possible to keep this on the hush-hush. If it ever leaked out, they'd look like a bunch of morons.

Paulwny
07-02-2003, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by dickallen15
The press has questioned him about it , but it has been denied, as I wrote. The White Sox would be scortched by the press for giving him that contract and having the hip deteriorate to the point it has. He used to pull everything with power, now he hits flyballs to right and popups on the infield, he has no torque. He is not striking out much, he must be seriously injured. Steff on the other board has inside info, and has it on good authority he has taken several shots for his hip this season.

Steff has inside info, don't you think others would also know?
Reporters know people in the know, something would have leaked.

Paulwny
07-02-2003, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by B. Diddy
Perhaps and perhaps not. For all we know, there could be a stipulation on gag orders in everyone's contracts and a financial penalty for violations. Or maybe Rios and Jiminez will say something soon.



C'mon, you have guys who signed contracts a few years ago, do you think the sox would want to reopen negotiations and have a player demand more $$$.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-02-2003, 01:04 PM
The value of roster spots on the White Sox just went up. We significantly upgraded two of them last night. Given that he can only play 1B and DH, Paul Konerko is easily the #25 player on the roster.

If Konerko was truly "a good team player", he would know he helps the team and himself the most by playing everyday in Charlotte to recover his swing. The Sox can't force him to go down, but Konerko has that option available. So far he hasn't agreed to it.

He can't play the "good team player" role and stick around the clubhouse stinking up the joint. Obviously the Sox could find something a whole lot more useful to winning a championship with their #25 roster spot than a slow-footed substitute 1B/DH ballplayer who can't hit.

When do we start applying the "s" word to Paul Konerko? The clock is ticking now.

B. Diddy
07-02-2003, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
C'mon, you have guys who signed contracts a few years ago, do you think the sox would want to reopen negotiations and have a player demand more $$$.

What makes you think the Sox intend on re-signing those guys after this season?

Paulwny
07-02-2003, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by B. Diddy
What makes you think the Sox intend on re-signing those guys after this season?

They would have to renegotiate eveyone's contract THIS YEAR if they wanted a "gag order" in effect THIS YEAR.

B. Diddy
07-02-2003, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
They would have to renegotiate eveyone's contract THIS YEAR if they wanted a "gag order" in effect THIS YEAR.

What makes you think they haven't been doing it for the past 20 years?

Paulwny
07-02-2003, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by B. Diddy
What makes you think they haven't been doing it for the past 20 years?

We heard quite a bit about goings on in the club house last year, in the press, from PK. I guess he doesn't have a "gag rule" in his contract.

dickallen15
07-02-2003, 01:33 PM
Every team has secrets, I think when a player leaves, he leaves those secrets.

havelj
07-02-2003, 01:36 PM
...he got engaged. He lost his MOJO! It's that simple. :D:

B. Diddy
07-02-2003, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
We heard quite a bit about goings on in the club house last year, in the press, from PK. I guess he doesn't have a "gag rule" in his contract.

Disclosing the medical information of a player is a bit more serious than making a few snide remarks about Frank.

"Gag rules" are very common in the pharmaceutical and tech industries (and basically everywhere else where patents are at stake). The disclosure of "sensitive information" pertinent to the company (and the company decides what is sensitive and what is not) is not tolerated at all. When you work for such a company, what you can say and what you can't say are specifically outlined in the contract you sign. And, if you violate this clause, your contract is voided and you are terminated immediately. And good luck finding a job in that industry again.

Why wouldn't MLB franchises include a similar clause in the contracts of their employees?

Paulwny
07-02-2003, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by dickallen15
Every team has secrets, I think when a player leaves, he leaves those secrets.

LOL, if you know a player is hurting and can't hit a certain pitch wouldn't you tell your new manager when you're playing your old club, or aren't you interested in helping your new team ?

dickallen15
07-02-2003, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
LOL, if you know a player is hurting and can't hit a certain pitch wouldn't you tell your new manager when you're playing your old club, or aren't you interested in helping your new team ?


Of course, but that wouldn't get out to the press.Besides, every team knows he can't hit,scouts, maybe you have heard of them already have that covered.

Paulwny
07-02-2003, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by B. Diddy
Disclosing the medical information of a player is a bit more serious than making a few snide remarks about Frank.

"Gag rules" are very common in the pharmaceutical and tech industries (and basically everywhere else where patents are at stake). The disclosure of "sensitive information" pertinent to the company (and the company decides what is sensitive and what is not) is not tolerated at all. When you work for such a company, what you can say and what you can't say are specifically outlined in the contract you sign. And, if you violate this clause, your contract is voided and you are terminated immediately. And good luck finding a job in that industry again.

Why wouldn't MLB franchises include a similar clause in the contracts of their employees?

I know, I signed one and its still on file.
We are not inventing or trying to patent a new product where the disclosure would affect a companies bottom line.

For years pitchers have talked to pitchers on other teams and traded info on pitches they've seen hitters on their own team have trouble hitting. I don't think the pitchers union has changed.

B. Diddy
07-02-2003, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
I know, I signed one and its still on file.
We are not inventing or trying to patent a new product where the disclosure would affect a companies bottom line.

For years pitchers have talked to pitchers on other teams and traded info on pitches they've seen hitters on their own team have trouble hitting. I don't think the pitchers union has changed.

Then you must also know that a company's image often affects its bottom lime. I can't think of a better example of a company suffering financially from its poor image than the Chicago White Sox. How much money have they lost over the past 20 years because of idiotic decisions on the part of the front office? And now you don't think that they might consider trying to hide the fact that they recently signed a player with a degenerative hip condition to a GUARANTTED 3-year contract???

Pitchers talking to pitchers behind closed doors is a bit more difficult to trace than a guy talking to the press in the locker room after the game, don't you think?

I'm not saying they do or don't have a gag order, but I think that dismissing the possibility of one is a bit short-sighted.

I don't know what's going on over there, but the evidence suggests that PK is hurt and they're trying to cover it up.

Paulwny
07-02-2003, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by B. Diddy


I don't know what's going on over there, but the evidence suggests that PK is hurt and they're trying to cover it up.

What evidence other then the fact he cannot hit the ball with authority.?

What does PK accomplish by hiding this type of injury?

voodoochile
07-02-2003, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
What evidence other then the fact he cannot hit the ball with authority.?

What does PK accomplish by hiding this type of injury?

$$$$$$$$

Paulwny
07-02-2003, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
$$$$$$$$

If he knew he had this condition, I would think he would have signed only a guaranteed contract.

voodoochile
07-02-2003, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
If he knew he had this condition, I would think he would have signed only a guaranteed contract.

His contract isn't guaranteed? News to me...

However, you forget that he still has a future beyond the Sox. If he admits he has a degenerative condition, his playing days are over. He could still sign a 3 year deal worth up to $6M or so total after this contract is up depending on how he hits between now and then. However, if he admits the hip condition, no one will touch him with a 10 foot pole.

B. Diddy
07-02-2003, 02:27 PM
What evidence other then the fact he cannot hit the ball with authority.?

Perhaps the fact that he suddenly went from three straight years of being an All Star-caliber player to one that can't hit at all? And perhaps the rumors about his hip, which were there right when we traded for him years ago.

What does PK accomplish by hiding this type of injury?

I don't know... his career, perhaps? If you were a GM, would you sign PK if you knew that he had a hip problem that was so serious that he couldn't even hit the warning track anymore? Wouldn't you just try to play it off as a slump and hope the hip gets better by next season.

dickallen15
07-02-2003, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
What evidence other then the fact he cannot hit the ball with authority.?

What does PK accomplish by hiding this type of injury?


It saves the White Sox , a team whose, until yesterday, only publicity is bad publicity the public relation nightmare that would follow. They would be put on a spit for giving him that contract last winter. So he plays the good soldier and struggles and collects his money. If a player inexpicably loses his ability to play is one thing. If a player has a pre-existing condition that affects his play like his has been affected is another. I wish the problems were in his head, but its in his hip.

ChiSoxBobette
07-02-2003, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by soxfan45
Any thoughts here?

I mean Konerko is going to command so many fewer chances at the plate with our new aquisitions. Does he just "ride the pines" and get an at-bat in some meaningless pinch hitting situation?
Or should he go try and get some at bats down in AAA?

If practice is going to get him out of his funk, he certainly won't be doing much of it up here in Chicago other than hitting in the cage.

I really feel for the guys because he is such a hard work and nice guy. But facts are facts...$6 million is a lot of money.
How soon we all forget, last year the guy was our leader , until he got hurt in the 2nd half of the season Pauly was great. He's having an off year and only White Sox Fans would give up on him, If he gets hot and starts hitting after the All-Star break god help the rest of the league if these two new players we got, Alomar & Everett play the way they can.
I would never give up on Pauly, He still go's out there and plays his heart out and this has to be killing him more than anyone.

GO WHITE SOX
Stick In There Pauly

ilsox7
07-02-2003, 02:33 PM
I don't buy into this hip injurt thing. Common sense would tell me if he sustained this type of injury, you'd see gradual decreases, not a sudden drop off. Remember, PK tore it up last year during the FIRST HALF. Then, one week later he went into his second half swoon. That says bad mechanics to me, which have carried over to this year. No doubt PK needs to go to Charlotte and work things out. What he should have done a week or two ago is agree to going to Charlotte with a guaranteed call-up after the break.

Paulwny
07-02-2003, 02:34 PM
If you're a gm and think PK has a problem, you'd demand he be looked at by a specialist before a trade or signing him to a contract.

If he has this TYPE of injury, kudos to the sox (management and players) for keeping it in house.

B. Diddy
07-02-2003, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by ChiSoxBob
How soon we all forget, last year the guy was our leader , until he got hurt in the 2nd half of the season Pauly was great. He's having an off year and only White Sox Fans would give up on him, If he gets hot and starts hitting after the All-Star break god help the rest of the league if these two new players we got, Alomar & Everett play the way they can.
I would never give up on Pauly, He still go's out there and plays his heart out and this has to be killing him more than anyone.

GO WHITE SOX
Stick In There Pauly

I pray to God that you're right. I just can't see this not being related to an injury. I hope that Paulie is able to pull through...

B. Diddy
07-02-2003, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
If you're a gm and think PK has a problem, you'd demand he be looked at by a specialist before a trade or signing him to a contract.

Specialists are wrong sometimes, as Mike Sirotka and Gord Ash will tell you.

Paulwny
07-02-2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by B. Diddy
Specialists are wrong sometimes, as Mike Sirotka and Gord Ash will tell you.

Actually the jays found the problem, it was the sox who claimed they didn't see the tear.

SoxxoS
07-02-2003, 02:47 PM
Also, don't forget that Paulie was hitting well this past spring training...

soxfan45
07-02-2003, 02:47 PM
This sounds like a good conspiracy theory...nothing more.
Konerko has no confidence. He got off to a very slow start
and just hasn't come out of it.

Now this confidence thing has snow-balled into a bigger problem.
Pauly is just thinking way too much out there. As you've heard from many good hitters, hitting is a guessing game, and Pauly just hasn't been guessing right on pitches.

Compound this with the fact that he doesn't get many at bats anymore and it seems like its worse than it really is.

I don't buy the hip thing, when Pauly has hit the ball hard, its with just as much authority as its ever been. Unfortunatly it seems like when he does, its always at someone.

I just think he needs to go somewhere where everyone is not watching him, not concerned about his slump, and somewhere where he doesn't have to press or be put into situations where he has to come through with a hit or a sacrifice. Way too much pressure.

If that bat handle had a pressure meter on it, I'm sure it would be sky high.

dickallen15
07-02-2003, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by ilsox7
I don't buy into this hip injurt thing. Common sense would tell me if he sustained this type of injury, you'd see gradual decreases, not a sudden drop off. Remember, PK tore it up last year during the FIRST HALF. Then, one week later he went into his second half swoon. That says bad mechanics to me, which have carried over to this year. No doubt PK needs to go to Charlotte and work things out. What he should have done a week or two ago is agree to going to Charlotte with a guaranteed call-up after the break.


The drop off last year was probably associated with the foot injury he had, if you remember he could hardly walk but he still player. He is a gamer, no doubt. He is not striking out much and making a lot of contact, the ball is going nowhere, he now has Joey Cora power and is getting worse, his hip is screwed up.

B. Diddy
07-02-2003, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
Actually the jays found the problem, it was the sox who claimed they didn't see the tear.

No, the Jays missed it during the first inspection as well. That's why Gord Ash got fired.

Paulwny
07-02-2003, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by B. Diddy
No, the Jays missed it during the first inspection as well. That's why Gord Ash got fired.

You're right, I forgot the 1st insp.

ilsox7
07-02-2003, 03:11 PM
He is not striking out much and making a lot of contact, the ball is going nowhere, he now has Joey Cora power and is getting worse, his hip is screwed up.

I still don't buy the injury angle. Bad mechanics cause one to lose power...Rowand is a good example. He said last week that he couldn't even reach the warning track in BP this year, but when he went to Charlotte they rebuilt his whole swing, and look at the results.

dickallen15
07-02-2003, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by ilsox7
I still don't buy the injury angle. Bad mechanics cause one to lose power...Rowand is a good example. He said last week that he couldn't even reach the warning track in BP this year, but when he went to Charlotte they rebuilt his whole swing, and look at the results.


I wish you were right, I really do.

ode to veeck
07-02-2003, 03:19 PM
Rowand is a good example. He said last week that he couldn't even reach the warning track in BP this year, but when he went to Charlotte they rebuilt his whole swing, and look at the results.

maybe we need to get the Charlotte hitting instructors up to the show ... Paulie's not the only vet hitting below potential

maurice
07-02-2003, 05:00 PM
First it was his foot . . . then it was his back . . . now it's his hip. These are all BS excuses made for the benefit of a player with a personality everyone likes. Frank Thomas had a legitimate injury excuse for a dropoff in performance when he tore his tricep, but most Sox fans and the media didn't let him off the hook.

As he's made clear a number of times, Konerko's not injured. To call him a liar with no contrary facts is a terrible thing for a fan to do. If he had anything remotely resembling an injury, the Sox would have put him on the DL long ago.

Konerko never really was an All Star caliber player. He was a league-average 1B with has a history of streaky hitting. He was hot for the 1st half of 2002 but has sucked since then. This regularly happens in pro sports, even without a mystery injury. He'll eventually come out of it, though it doesn't look like he'll get any regular ABs this season.

Gee, Tejada was MVP but now he can't hit. He must have a chronic inner ear infection.

Daver
07-02-2003, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by ode to veeck
maybe we need to get the Charlotte hitting instructors up to the show ... Paulie's not the only vet hitting below potential

The Charlotte hitting coach is the guy that replaced Greg Walker.

I wouldn't mind seeing Gregg Richie up here though.

SoxxoS
07-02-2003, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by daver
The Charlotte hitting coach is the guy that replaced Greg Walker.

Replaced Gary Ward with Greg Walker, you mean.

39thandWallace
07-02-2003, 06:08 PM
I really love having a player like Pauly, I think he has a injury he is either hiding or is not diagnosed.

I say keep him, you can't just dump an all-star like Pauly.

B. Diddy
07-02-2003, 10:00 PM
Hey, he homered coming off the bench tonight! That's fantastic. Maybe (hopefully) I'm wrong about the hip.

Lanny Sigo
07-02-2003, 10:28 PM
Well, I'm a little late on this one, but... how 'bout we send him to the plate to pinch hit for Daubach with two outs in the bottom of the 11th against the Twinkies trailing by a run. Any chance of him hitting one out of the park?!?!?!?! "You can put it on the board, yes"!!!!!

voodoochile
07-02-2003, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Lanny Sigo
Well, I'm a little late on this one, but... how 'bout we send him to the plate to pinch hit for Daubach with two outs in the bottom of the 11th against the Twinkies trailing by a run. Any chance of him hitting one out of the park?!?!?!?! "You can put it on the board, yes"!!!!!

Better late than never, no? Welcome aboard! :D:

WhiteSox = Life
07-02-2003, 10:41 PM
:hawk
"I love clichés!"

:)

Tragg
07-02-2003, 10:45 PM
After me saying he should go to charlotte, he had the biggest hit of the night. I hope that turns his season around - at the least, should return his confidence.

B. Diddy
07-03-2003, 04:22 AM
I hadn't heard about this. At least it's not a hip problem.

From the "official" site:

Konerko's return: The sore left shoulder of Paul Konerko has sufficiently healed where he will be back in the lineup this weekend at Tampa Bay. Konerko has a .289 average with six home runs in his career against the Devil Rays, including a .358 average at Tropicana Field.

dickallen15
07-03-2003, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by B. Diddy
I hadn't heard about this. At least it's not a hip problem.

From the "official" site:

Konerko's return: The sore left shoulder of Paul Konerko has sufficiently healed where he will be back in the lineup this weekend at Tampa Bay. Konerko has a .289 average with six home runs in his career against the Devil Rays, including a .358 average at Tropicana Field.

He hurt it the other day against the Cubs. A pop foul and the security dope didn't pick up his stool, (I mean a little chair), Paulie tripped over it and crashed into the side wall. It wasn't anything major, but he was shaken up a bit.

moochpuppy
07-03-2003, 08:08 AM
I don't see how you can take Daubach out of the lineup right now though. I would like nothing better than to get Konehead back out there but I think you have to continue with the hot bat.

:jerry

"Hello, remember me?"



Oh yeah.