PDA

View Full Version : Shades of '83?

IronFisk
07-02-2003, 10:16 AM
So call me a sucker for historical patterns, but this latest move reminds me of the 1983 season. If my memory serves me right, we weren't doing all that hot up to the all-star game - being a game or so out of first - kinda where we are now. In June or July, we got Julio Cruz, and then BANG - won every series after the all-star game to finish a record 20 games in first place.

Not to say it will happen again - but we are (like in 83) in a piss-poor division, and possess as much of a potent pitching staff as in 83, and now with Alomar/Everett aboard, almost similar power. Who knows - as long as we don't repeat their playoff power outage!

:?:

Hangar18
07-02-2003, 12:54 PM
I thought of this last nite also......
the Similarities of the seasons are kind of SCARY! :gulp:

B. Diddy
07-02-2003, 12:56 PM
Not to mention that we're hosting the All Star game this year as well...

A.T. Money
07-02-2003, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by B. Diddy

Uh ohhhhhh! :D:

Foulke You
07-02-2003, 01:21 PM
Let's just hope they don't break our hearts in October like the '83 team did!

havelj
07-02-2003, 01:26 PM
1983 (from Whitesoxinteractive.com)
On June 13 the Sox were five games under .500 and stuck in fifth place. Then Sox GM Roland Hemond made the trade that everyone would later credit with turning the season around. Looking to give his team a spark, Hemond traded Tony Bernazard to Seattle for his second base counterpart, Julio Cruz. The effect was immediate. By the all-star break (at Comiskey Park) the Sox had climbed to three games over .500. Then things really got hot. The Sox climbed into first place on July 18 and never looked back. Their second half record was 59-26, a .694 winning percentage. Floyd Bannister was nearly unbeatable, winning 13 and losing 1. LaMarr Hoyt and Rich Dotson compiled the greatest number of wins in the entire league, 24 and 22 respectively.

On July 1, the Sox were two games under .500 and stuck in third place. Sox GM Kenny Williams made the trades that everyone would later credit with turning the season around. Looking to give his team a spark, Williams traded for Robbie Alomar from the Mets and Carl Everett from Texas. The effect was immediate. By the all-star break (at Comiskey Park) the Sox had climbed to three games over .500. Then things really got hot. The Sox climbed into first place on July 18 and never looked back. Their second half record was 59-26, a .694 winning percentage. Mark Beuhrle was nearly unbeatable, winning 13 and losing 1. Bartolo Colon and Esteban Loaiza compiled the greatest number of wins in the entire league, 24 and 22 respectively.

VeeckAsInWreck
07-02-2003, 02:21 PM
We should be OK this season as long as Tito Landrum or his son don't face the Sox in the playoffs! :D:

Bisco Stu
07-02-2003, 02:30 PM
Except we don't have any pitcher that approaches pothead Hoyt.

And don't say Colon, he hasn't proved ****tt yet.

davenicholson
07-02-2003, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by VeeckAsInWreck
We should be OK this season as long as Tito Landrum or his son don't face the Sox in the playoffs! :D:

Oh, ouch. D*mnit, that was just too painful to recall! That game was even harder to take than Baines, Luzinski and Kittle having their respective bats glued to their shoulders that entire series. (Don't get me started on the Dibber!) My saddest sports memories outside of the 1971 Stanley Cup.

IronFisk
07-02-2003, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by B. Diddy

DUH! Man, and I WAS going to use that in my original post - nice recovery of me fumble!

:cool:

IronFisk
07-02-2003, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by davenicholson
Oh, ouch. D*mnit, that was just too painful to recall! That game was even harder to take than Baines, Luzinski and Kittle having their respective bats glued to their shoulders that entire series. (Don't get me started on the Dibber!) My saddest sports memories outside of the 1971 Stanley Cup.

Same here. Britt Burns pitched his heart out, just to get tagged in the 10th. Damn the Dibber! :angry: