PDA

View Full Version : Idiot Twin Fans

soxruleEP
07-02-2003, 10:05 AM
I realize that the title may be redundant but--

Leaving last evening shellacking of the "team that plays the game right" four twenty-something Twins fans wearing Radke and Menkzwiticszwca jerseys were suffering the baiting of the crowd. I was along the most vocal. Two of them turned to me and said:

"Who's in first?" [Not them--KC had already beaten Cleveland]

"We've won it three years in a row! What have you done?" [IIRC they've won it one year in row and right now are backing up pretty fast]

They seemed upset that they were being treated with such disrespect. They come into our ball park wearing their Twins crap and get their a$$e$ handed to them two days in row with the Sox getting great pitching, great defense, and great hitting and they expect not to get some lip as they leave the park.

I guess they know what it means to play the game the right way and we're all mouth-breathing troglodytes.

hold2dibber
07-02-2003, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by soxruleEP
I realize that the title may be redundant but--

Leaving last evening shellacking of the "team that plays the game right" four twenty-something Twins fans wearing Radke and Menkzwiticszwca jerseys were suffering the baiting of the crowd. I was along the most vocal. Two of them turned to me and said:

"Who's in first?" [Not them--KC had already beaten Cleveland]

"We've won it three years in a row! What have you done?" [IIRC they've won it one year in row and right now are backing up pretty fast]

They seemed upset that they were being treated with such disrespect. They come into our ball park wearing their Twins crap and get their a$$e$ handed to them two days in row with the Sox getting great pitching, great defense, and great hitting and they expect not to get some lip as they leave the park.

I guess they know what it means to play the game the right way and we're all mouth-breathing troglodytes.

Uh, maybe I'm in the minority here, but I think it's absolute bullcrap when people bait fans of the other team (unless the other team is the Cubs, in which case, all bets are off). Someone who cares enough about their team to travel with them deserves some respect, in my book. Now, if they're trash talking and baiting the Sox or Sox fans, that's another thing. But if they're just there rooting for their team, they're real baseball fans and don't deserve to be sworn at, insulted and ridiculed. Frankly, I'm frequently embarrased by the unprovoked verbal attacks I've seen from Sox fans against fans of other teams. In fact, some of the very best times I've had at the ballpark have been talking to knowledgeable fans of other teams; it's good to get the perspective of fans of other teams, IMHO. I have great memories of conversations I've had with A's fans, Twins fans and Indians fans at Comiskey a/k/a the Cell a/k/a Sox Park.

TornLabrum
07-02-2003, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Uh, maybe I'm in the minority here, but I think it's absolute bullcrap when people bait fans of the other team (unless the other team is the Cubs, in which case, all bets are off). Someone who cares enough about their team to travel with them deserves some respect, in my book. Now, if they're trash talking and baiting the Sox or Sox fans, that's another thing. But if they're just there rooting for their team, they're real baseball fans and don't deserve to be sworn at, insulted and ridiculed. Frankly, I'm frequently embarrased by the unprovoked verbal attacks I've seen from Sox fans against fans of other teams. In fact, some of the very best times I've had at the ballpark have been talking to knowledgeable fans of other teams; it's good to get the perspective of fans of other teams, IMHO. I have great memories of conversations I've had with A's fans, Twins fans and Indians fans at Comiskey a/k/a the Cell a/k/a Sox Park.

You took the words right out of my mouth. Cases in point: Chatting with Twins fans about the relative merits of both clubs while visiting the Metrodome. Ditto in Detroit. And surprisingly, the same at Wrigley during Cubs-Sox series in the past.

Baiting someone who a) is willing to travel with the team, thereby b) putting money in our owners' pockets that they can use to pay salaires is just plain rude.

The title of this thread, unless the Twins fans were doing anything other than cheering for their guys, should be 'Idiot Sox Fans."

Procol Harum
07-02-2003, 10:37 AM
I agree with the critique here--there's no excuse for being rude and obnoxious to people from other cities who come here--or who live here now--and follow their team. Talk about giving Chicago and its people a bad name! And when the shoe is on the other foot, I know I sure don't want to be abused when I follow the Sox somewhere. If these interlopers are being obnoxious themselves, or engaging Sox fans in friendly banter, then certainly they shouldn't be surprised to get it back in spades. However, it always bothers me to see Sox fans acting like ignoramuses and harassing fans of other teams. In fact, I'd even go so far as to extend this courtesy and consideration to (shudder) Cubs fans. However, in that latter case, you usually know that there'll be so much idiocy flowing from them to start with that the invective will get hot and heavy pretty quick.

Juan Pizarro
07-02-2003, 10:42 AM
I agree that if someone's willing to come to a ballpark, be a fan and act respectfully, they do not deserve grief. If they're lipping off, though, hey, that's a game all its own.
Profanity, personal insults and throwing things are always off limits, though.

Eddie Gaedel
07-02-2003, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Procol Harum
[B]However, it always bothers me to see Sox fans acting like ignoramuses and harassing fans of other teams. In fact, I'd even go so far as to extend this courtesy and consideration to (shudder) Cubs fans.

That's a bunch of hooey! There is no reason anybody should be at Comiskey wearing another team's logo except the two teams on the field. Every game i've been to this year (at least 25), there's an idiot with some cub crap on. They deserve a tounge lashing. I don't wear SOX stuff at wrigley because I'd expect the same from them.

Also, if you go to enemy teritory and your team losses, you'd be smart to keep your mouth shut. What would there be to say?

34 Inch Stick
07-02-2003, 11:36 AM
ignoramae

TornLabrum
07-02-2003, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Eddie Gaedel
That's a bunch of hooey! There is no reason anybody should be at Comiskey wearing another team's logo except the two teams on the field. Every game i've been to this year (at least 25), there's an idiot with some cub crap on. They deserve a tounge lashing. I don't wear SOX stuff at wrigley because I'd expect the same from them.

Also, if you go to enemy teritory and your team losses, you'd be smart to keep your mouth shut. What would there be to say?

That's utter BS, and I hope people with the attitude of the Sox fans described in the first post in this thread have the pleasure of being treated the same way when they go to another city to see the Sox play.

From the original description, the only thing the Twins fans did was wear their team colors, something I do whenever I visit another city. They should be free to cheer for their team without harrassment from the hometown fans unless they start booing or ridiculing the home team. It's then and only then that all bets should be off.

I agree that they did make a mistake in trying to retaliate, especially in doing so from a position of ignorance, but they shouldn't have been put in that position to begin with.

No, unless we weren't told something in the original post, the fans, including soxruleEP, who admitted he was among the loudest, were the idiots.

voodoochile
07-02-2003, 11:43 AM
I think it depends on what is said. If the comments were specifically directed at people who are already upset in an attempt to make them more upset, then it pushes the boundary of good behavior. However, if you are in a crowd that is chanting "Twinkies Suck!" after a second straight blowout win in Chicago and those Twinkie fans get upset then that is their problem. Just don't go looking for a fight - and if they start one, try to find Randar, quick...

Anyone who wears a rivals jersey to a road game has to expect to take some grief - especially after their team loses. If you can't do that without becoming hypersensitive then you should pick a different clothing option. Personally, I prefer to shake their hands and say, "good game/series." But, don't come whining if you are wearing the opponents jersey and your team loses and the crowd gets happy on you...

I wouldn't even want to be the guy who wore a Chiefs jersey to a Raiders game, for example. (shudder)

whitesoxwilkes
07-02-2003, 11:45 AM
I normally behave when I'm on the road and normally get treated with decency. But after the crap I had to endure from Twins fans in the Dome in May, I make sure that Twins fans here get the nastiest welcome possible.

Eddie Gaedel
07-02-2003, 11:47 AM
On second thought hold2dibber, TornLabrum, and Procol Harum are right. Tonight I'm doing nothing but blowing kisses :bart

moochpuppy
07-02-2003, 11:49 AM
I have been to numerous Twins/Sox games and Viking/Bears games at the Metrodome. On all occasions I have worn my Sox and Bear gear and I have been treated very well. There is some good natured jabbing back and forth and some very interesting talk about each others teams. I would, in no way, ever heckle another team's fan if they are in enemy territory unless they are asking for it by being idiots.

moochpuppy
07-02-2003, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Just don't go looking for a fight - and if they start one, try to find Randar, quick...

His specialty are obnoxious Tiger fans. :D:

TornLabrum
07-02-2003, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by whitesoxwilkes
I normally behave when I'm on the road and normally get treated with decency. But after the crap I had to endure from Twins fans in the Dome in May, I make sure that Twins fans here get the nastiest welcome possible.

Our experience was just the opposite. People treated Jeff and me with courtesy.

B. Diddy
07-02-2003, 12:04 PM
I've found that, when going to a road game, it's best to just mind your manners and cheer quietly for your team. You never know when someone might go bezerk on you. It's amazing how many drunken losers there are out there who don't seem to fear or think about the criminal consequences of their actions.

The only time I've retaliated to a taunt was to some teenage punk in Toronto (he couldn't have been more than 16 at the time and I was 24). I just stood up and walked over to him. Once he noticed that I had about 4 inches and 30 lbs (only somewhat due to fat) on him, he shut his mouth. I'm sure that taught him a lesson. However, if he weren't a little punk ass kid who I could squash with my thumb, I would've just ignored him.

1951Campbell
07-02-2003, 12:17 PM
When I go to road games, I cheer for the Sox as opposed to against the home team. I think that's a good rule, especially since I weigh in at 135 lbs!

Except at Fenway. No way is some corporate ticket holder/Harvard professor with free tickets gonna drop me, even at 135.

Nellie_Fox
07-02-2003, 12:24 PM
I wear my Sox stuff to the Metrodome, and have never had a problem. A little good-natured kidding, but no "baiting."

If a fan of the road team is running his/her mouth, let them have it. If they're just there enjoying baseball, to give them grief is just wrong.

B. Diddy
07-02-2003, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by 1951Campbell
When I go to road games, I cheer for the Sox as opposed to against the home team. I think that's a good rule, especially since I weigh in at 135 lbs!

Except at Fenway. No way is some corporate ticket holder/Harvard professor with free tickets gonna drop me, even at 135.

I'd like to go to Camden Yards, sit right next to George Will, tell him how much his team (along with the Cubs) sucks... and then wait for his little twit ass to run away like a little baby.

I hate yuppie trash...

doogiec
07-02-2003, 12:56 PM
Its really just the Golden Rule. Don't treat visiting fans worse than you would want yourself or your family treated if you were on the road.

I usually try to hit a couple of road series every year. Its not cheap, and a lot of years the Sox play doesn't warrant it, but I usually have a good time anyway. I've made it to twenty different stadiums over the years, usually when the Sox were the road team, and have never really had a problem with opposing fans. I believe that's because I follow the simple rule of cheering for the Sox and not commenting on the other team or its fans.

I've had a lot of great baseball conversations with fans in other cities (even Wrigley on occasion). When I was in Minnesota for the Sox clincher in 2000, several people around complemented Sox fans in general for showing "Class" as compared to fans from Cleveland and New York.

Thats why the recent trend (it seems worse lately) of Sox fans abusing visiting fans really makes me want to puke. If the opposing fan is enjoying the game and just pulling for their team, why abuse them? Are we that insecure?

Our reputation is taking enough of a beating from the field attacks, which weren't caused by real Sox fans. Real Sox fans need to show some class in the stands.

soxruleEP
07-02-2003, 12:59 PM
Gosh--who would've expected this reaction?

The heckling was generally good natured. My original point was to emphasize their lack of knowledge about their team's situation. It was SCRub-fan-like.

If I wore my sox colors at another stadium I would expect the same treatment as I walked out after a loss.

That being said--all people should be treated with respect and not attacked personally. I don't think people should feel threatened because of the team they support. I hope what I said to them would not be considered threatening but in the nature of passionate rivalry.

Eddie Gaedel
07-02-2003, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by TommyJohn
Just don't jump any umps or coaches, please.

If I do, I'll smother them with LOVE.

voodoochile
07-02-2003, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Eddie Gaedel
If I do, I'll smother them with LOVE.

:moron
"I love it. I can see the headlines already: Gay Sox fan forces himself on the coaches. The article is already writing itself: Having set up their ballpark in a notoriously gay part of town, the Sox should have seen this coming. Nothing like this would ever happen on the northside where only redblooded, beer drinking, heterosexual men are allowed within 2 miles of the ballpark. As I understand it the Sox were trying to sign Manny Ramirez, Mike Piazza and Dennis Rodman before settling for the two alsorans they ended up with."

LASOXFAN
07-02-2003, 04:15 PM
Living in LA, I catch the Sox when they're on the left coast playing the Angels, A's even the Mariners if I can (and thanks to interleague, all three games against the Dodgers). I wear my Sox gear and have only been harrassed in Oakland, but that's a crappy place to live so who can blame them? Seriously, it's no fun to be ridiculed for being a fan or watching some jackass get peanuts (or worse) thrown at him all night. The notion that there are such things as "Sox fans" is a curiosity to a lot of people I meet out here when the palehose are playing. The American League Central is sort of like Afghanistan: they've heard of it but don't know where it is.

T Dog
07-02-2003, 05:24 PM
When I was a kid, the road-team fans stood out at Comiskey. I hated it when they were cheering like they were at home, baiting the few loyal Sox fans who cared enough to support some bad teams. When I moved away and could only see the Sox on the road, usually in Anaheim, I would wear my Sox cap but tried not to be an ugly fan because I remember how a Tiger fan (and Ed Herrmann grounding out to the pitcher with the bases loaded and two out in the ninth) ruined my 13th birthday.

pearso66
07-02-2003, 05:49 PM
You should always respect the visiting fan, even if baited. When we were at the Sox Cubs game on last friday, in the first inning when they hit a home run, the cub fans behind us shouted, "you can put it on the board, yes" Now after that whenever we said somehting about the cubs, we raised our voices a little, there was a little bickering, but after the game, we turned around and shook their hands. And yes, when Jose hit the homer in the 9th to win it, we showed them how its really said

"YOU can put it on the board, YES!!!"