PDA

View Full Version : Cub-Times' Couch Disses R. Alomar

B. Diddy
07-02-2003, 09:21 AM
To offset Moronatti's newfound enthusiam with the Sox (and to appease the sCrUBBIE fans in town), the Cub-Times apparently told Greg Couch to do a hatchet job on Robbie, bringing up the spitting incident again.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/couch/cst-spt-greg02.html

He compares the spitting incident to Sammy's corked bat and blames it for damaging the relationship between MLB and the umpires union.

I'd like to make three points:

(1) Yeah, Robbie was an idiot for spitting at an ump. But he served his suspension, apologized to Hirschbeck, and, along with his brother, donated significantly towards ALD research (swhich killed Hirschbeck's son). I'm sorry, but he did just about everything possible to redeem himself. And let's put this in the proper perspective. He SPAT at an ump. He didn't throw a punch, he didn't attack him with a bat... he SPAT. So, it's OK for Lou Piniella to go ape**** and throw bases or Larry Bowa to to cuss out an ump and kick dirt on his shoes, but GOD FORBID that SPITTING is involved. I'm not saying that Robbie's and angel or trying to condone his actions, but this was and still is blown WAY out of proportion.

(2) Even mentioning this in the same sentence as Sosa's corked bat is complete idiocy. Sosa was caught CHEATING red-handed. Robbie did something that (a) happens in pro football with little media coverage (as Couch mentions), (b) isn't much different than what people like Piniella and Bowa seem to do at least once a month, and (c) is far less a crime than illegally modifying one's bat. By mentioning Romanowski's spitting incident, Couch implies that it really isn't a big deal. Well, then why write an article about it? Perhaps because one of his bosses at the Cub-Times told him to? Perhaps those that control the media equate dissing the Sox to making money?

(3) Couch asserts that Alomar is responsible for severely damaging the relationship between the umpires union and MLB. Sorry, but the umpires union is at fault for that. They want all the money in the world without an ounce of accountability (whether that be in the form of comments from players/coaches/sportscasters or actual reprimands/punishments from MLB). They want the power to be able to perform poorly at work, yet still keep their jobs. God forbid they have to live in the real world! I thought it was great that MLB replaced them with scabs when they walked out a couple years ago. They're a bunch of whiny crybabies and got what they deserved.

Now, if you'll excuse me, it's time for breakfast...

TornLabrum
07-02-2003, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by B. Diddy
To offset Moronatti's newfound enthusiam with the Sox (and to appease the sCrUBBIE fans in town), the Cub-Times apparently told Greg Couch to do a hatchet job on Robbie, bringing up the spitting incident again.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/couch/cst-spt-greg02.html

He compares the spitting incident to Sammy's corked bat and blames it for damaging the relationship between MLB and the umpires union.

I'd like to make three points:

(1) Yeah, Robbie was an idiot for spitting at an ump. But he served his suspension, apologized to Hirschbeck, and, along with his brother, donated significantly towards ALD research (swhich killed Hirschbeck's son). I'm sorry, but he did just about everything possible to redeem himself. And let's put this in the proper perspective. He SPAT at an ump. He didn't throw a punch, he didn't attack him with a bat... he SPAT. So, it's OK for Lou Piniella to go ape**** and throw bases or Larry Bowa to to cuss out an ump and kick dirt on his shoes, but GOD FORBID that SPITTING is involved. I'm not saying that Robbie's and angel or trying to condone his actions, but this was and still is blown WAY out of proportion.

(2) Even mentioning this in the same sentence as Sosa's corked bat is complete idiocy. Sosa was caught CHEATING red-handed. Robbie did something that (a) happens in pro football with little media coverage (as Couch mentions), (b) isn't much different than what people like Piniella and Bowa seem to do at least once a month, and (c) is far less a crime than illegally modifying one's bat. By mentioning Romanowski's spitting incident, Couch implies that it really isn't a big deal. Well, then why write an article about it? Perhaps because one of his bosses at the Cub-Times told him to? Perhaps those that control the media equate dissing the Sox to making money?

(3) Couch asserts that Alomar is responsible for severely damaging the relationship between the umpires union and MLB. Sorry, but the umpires union is at fault for that. They want all the money in the world without an ounce of accountability (whether that be in the form of comments from players/coaches/sportscasters or actual reprimands/punishments from MLB). They want the power to be able to perform poorly at work, yet still keep their jobs. God forbid they have to live in the real world! I thought it was great that MLB replaced them with scabs when they walked out a couple years ago. They're a bunch of whiny crybabies and got what they deserved.

Now, if you'll excuse me, it's time for breakfast...

Has anyone else besides me heard the rumor that the reason Alomar spit on Hirschbeck is because Hirschbeck called him a "***"?

LuvSox
07-02-2003, 10:02 AM
What do you expect from the Chicago media? We knew it was coming, it was just a matter of who & when.

Dan H
07-02-2003, 10:23 AM
I like this trade but with reservations, and we all should have reservations. Alomar is 35 and his numbers are in decline. One New York reporter said on the Score this morning is that Alomar is a solid professional and can still make a solid contribution. Yet a friend of mine told me the TV people couldn't see the guy out of town fast enough, and that the Mets were shopping him everywhere. The trade is a risk worth taking but still a risk.

Zednem700
07-02-2003, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
Has anyone else besides me heard the rumor that the reason Alomar spit on Hirschbeck is because Hirschbeck called him a "***"?

I've heard that rumor as well, I don't know how true it is. Even if Hirschbeck did call Alomar that it doesn't excuse Alomar's actions. That being said, many latin men respond EXTREMELY negatively to accusations of homosexuality. Its just about the most offensive thing one can say to another person. Sort of on par with spitting on someone.

Now of course this isn't always true, many Latin American men are enlightened about such things, but I'm telling you, a whole bunch aren't. There's a famous boxing match from the 50s or 60s (I can't remember when, the Sun-Times had a story about it years ago) where boxer A beat to death boxer B, motivated largely by the fact that boxer B publicly ridiculed him as a homosexual, using a spanish word that well, you just don't use unless you want to fight. It turned out of course that boxer A was in fact gay, but that's besides the point. The point is there are certain things in every culture you just don't do or say, don't point the soles of your feet towards an Egyptian, don't touch a Thai's head, etc.

Screw those things up, and things get ugly.

B. Diddy
07-02-2003, 11:32 AM

I had not heard that, but it wouldn't surprise me.

I don't condone spitting, but if I were in a tight playoff race and an ump made a bonehead call that potentially screwed my chances of a wild card berth, I'd certainly have a few nasty things to say to him. I wouldn't spit in his face, but I would certainly have something very nasty things to say to him, particularly because that's the only reprimand he'll get for doing a horrible job that day.

I honestly don't see what the big deal is about spitting. Yeah, it's offensive, but so is calling someone a *** or someone's mother a whore. I'll bet those two insults are thrown around on the diamond more often than MLB would like to admit. I'd like to hear what Lou Piniella and Larry Bowa say to the umps when they argue calls. I'll bet it's just as insulting as a loogie in the face.

I still think that Robbie's a little prima donna. However, for what it's worth, I think that Robbie is much less of a jerk for spitting at Hirschbeck than Clemens is for beaning Piazza in the head (on purpose, of course) and then throwing a piece of broken bat at him later that year in the WS.

SI1020
07-02-2003, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Zednem700
I've heard that rumor as well, I don't know how true it is. Even if Hirschbeck did call Alomar that it doesn't excuse Alomar's actions. That being said, many latin men respond EXTREMELY negatively to accusations of homosexuality. Its just about the most offensive thing one can say to another person. Sort of on par with spitting on someone.

Now of course this isn't always true, many Latin American men are enlightened about such things, but I'm telling you, a whole bunch aren't. There's a famous boxing match from the 50s or 60s (I can't remember when, the Sun-Times had a story about it years ago) where boxer A beat to death boxer B, motivated largely by the fact that boxer B publicly ridiculed him as a homosexual, using a spanish word that well, you just don't use unless you want to fight. It turned out of course that boxer A was in fact gay, but that's besides the point. The point is there are certain things in every culture you just don't do or say, don't point the soles of your feet towards an Egyptian, don't touch a Thai's head, etc.

Screw those things up, and things get ugly. Welterweight boxing champ Emile Griffith, a native of the Virgin Islands had an ill fated rivalry with his Cuban opponent Benny "Kid" Paret in the early 1960's. In April of 1961 Griffith KO'd Paret in the 13th round. In a rematch in September Paret was awarded the decision in a fight many ringside observers thought Griffith had won. Both matches were exciting nip and tuck affairs. At the weigh in before the third and rubber match in March of 1962 Paret called Griffith a "marichon", I believe that is the slang term for homosexual. Paret controlled the early part of the third fight and knocked down Griffith in the 6th round. I think Griffith was saved by the bell. In any case he rallied with a vengeance and by the 12th round he had taken total control of the fight. In that round he trapped Paret along the ropes and hit him with 18 unanswered punches, most to the head. When referee Ruby Goldstein finally stepped in Paret was unconscious on his feet. He lapsed in to a coma and died. Goldstein, who was a championship caliber boxer in his day roundly vilified for not stopping the fight earlier. He did seem transfixed while Griffith unleashed his unmerciful salvo to the head of Paret. Griffith, despite being undeniably affected by the fight, continued on his Hall of Fame career until his retirement in 1977. He held three world titles and was not known for his knockout punch. He totaled 24 KO's in 84 wins IIRC. The Griffith-Paret rivalry was big news in the world of sports at the time. Griffith still lives in the NYC area and is known as one of the nicer guys past and present in the world of boxing.

Hangar18
07-02-2003, 01:40 PM
I saw this and was ANGERED that Couch would bring this up. He was with the ORIOLES in 96 when this happened. He wasnt a
Sox. Hes just mad because Sox Fans had something to say about the Cheater on the Northside. I see right thru articles like this. PROBLEM IS, i'll bet 20% of cub fans remembered that
ALomar was the guy who did that. Couch, knowing how SheepLike cub fans are, merely gave them something to talk about now.......

CHISOXFAN13
07-02-2003, 02:37 PM
Calling the Sun-Times the Cub-Times is ludicrous especially when the story is written by Couch.

Remember, this is the same writer who started all of the Premimum Tickets controversy. I didn't hear anyone complaining about him thenn

It's his opinion. If you don't like it, then turn the page back to Mariotti.

fquaye149
07-02-2003, 02:54 PM

what i've heard is he called him a mother******

no JUSTIFICATION for the action, maybe not even an excuse

BUT

he took his medicine, apologized and tried to make up for it

nothing like that has happened in a long time...let's move on

ChiSoxBobette
07-02-2003, 03:41 PM
What did you think was going to happen. If this was the flubs picking up these to players it would have been the greatest trade ever made. The media in Chicago will undoubtedly fry these 2 players before they even get here. If anyone will turn these two players into malcontents it will be the Chicago Sports media because the fubbies did'nt make this trade. On espn.co they're reporting that the flubs are interested in Mark Loretta( I think thats how his name is spelled)since the Marlins have taken thier 3rd baseman off the market. Who is Mark Loretta and wait if the flubs sign the guy(probably giving up another Dontrelle Willis)he'll become the greatest player in the league and that will be reported as the best trade made by a Chicago team this year.
The media in Chicago is a joke when it comes to the two baseball teams, you would have thought by reading the papers while Sox vs flubs series was going on that the Sox were the ones loosing every day.

Go White Sox

white sox bill
07-02-2003, 04:13 PM
I hate to ask, eh, but is R. Alomar a "***"? Hope not, but someone told me Steve Stone is.

Not that type of lifesytle bothers me, I just don't want some moronic cub fan bringing it up

voodoochile
07-02-2003, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by white sox bill
I hate to ask, eh, but is R. Alomar a "***"? Hope not, but someone told me Steve Stone is.

Not that type of lifesytle bothers me, I just don't want some moronic cub fan bringing it up

Oh who cares... Wrigley is right in the middle of "boystown". If some flubbie fan makes a comment say exactly what you said above. That it doesn't matter to you and that they are idiots for caring...