PDA

View Full Version : Phil Rogers

dickallen15
07-02-2003, 09:02 AM
A few weeks back, didn't he have a column where he suggested the Sox pick up Everett? Looking at today's column, it seems he's not so sure about his acquisition, specifically mentioning his possible clubhouse trouble. I sure hope the Cubune hasn't gotten to him.

progers0826
07-02-2003, 09:15 AM
No, they have not subjected me to employee retraining. My guarded response to the Everett trade comes from three points, I think -- when I wrote that earlier piece Everett was absolutely killing the ball and now he is coming off an extended stretch of not-so-great; I wanted him as a left fielder and am not so sure how he'll be in center and I still don't know who exactly the White Sox are giving up. But he and Alomar give the lineup a presence it has lacked since Ventura departed. If he starts to hit again and can be adequate in center -- and the South Side standard is pretty low, isn't it? -- he'll be a great addition. I hope that clears up any questions about my thoughts. And, by the way, thanks for noticing.

fquaye149
07-02-2003, 09:18 AM
hopefully the media here will be kinder on carl than in bahston...

on the one hand, the sox are also ran to the cubs

but then on the other hand, tribune media corp controls the media....

hoo boy

dickallen15
07-02-2003, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by progers0826
No, they have not subjected me to employee retraining. My guarded response to the Everett trade comes from three points, I think -- when I wrote that earlier piece Everett was absolutely killing the ball and now he is coming off an extended stretch of not-so-great; I wanted him as a left fielder and am not so sure how he'll be in center and I still don't know who exactly the White Sox are giving up. But he and Alomar give the lineup a presence it has lacked since Ventura departed. If he starts to hit again and can be adequate in center -- and the South Side standard is pretty low, isn't it? -- he'll be a great addition. I hope that clears up any questions about my thoughts. And, by the way, thanks for noticing.

OK, just don't turn into Mariotti. He calls someone a genius and praises them when they make a move and if it fails wonders why that person would have ever considered said move.By the way, I do enjoy your columns.

harwar
07-02-2003, 09:29 AM
In his last 24 games with 85 at-bats Everett has an average of .200 with 4 homeruns and 9 rbi's while scoring 7 runs and stealing 2 bases.He must have been ready to leave Texas since he waived the no-trade clause in his contract.I'm hoping for a resurgence to his april-may numbers,but i don't think he can get to the ball in the gaps in center because he has lost a step or two over the years(who hasn't).Keep up the good work Phil,your one of the few who i still read.

ode to veeck
07-02-2003, 11:05 AM
The no trade thing was probably an easy choice for Everett, given the Rangers are not going anywhere and Chicago's as easy choice vs Dallas area ;-). The Sox are well positioned in their division, on a roll thanks to two weeks against the inspiring (for the Sox) Cubbies, and have starting pitching that could make serious trouble for playoff opponents ... seems like a no brainer for Carl

BTW, thanks for the additional thoughts on the trade Phil

hold2dibber
07-02-2003, 11:11 AM
I'm not too concerned about Everett's dip in production in June; every player goes through peaks and valleys. I don't think he'll be the 1.000 OPS/HR monster he was in April and May, but he's a solid, professional switch hitter who plays hard every day. A clear upgrade over our current CFs. I would think they'll DH him against lefties so Rowand can get some starts in CF and so Everett can rest his legs. He defintely helps the team -- the question, of course, is what did the Sox have to give up to get him. If they lose Ryan Meaux and Rudy Yan, that's one thing. If they lose Neil Cotts and Jeremy Reed, that's quite another.

moochpuppy
07-02-2003, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I'm not too concerned about Everett's dip in production in June; every player goes through peaks and valleys.

Everett's dip also came during a point from May 24th through June 30th where the Rangers went a very unimpressive 9-25. Obviously, the man was not very happy.