PDA

View Full Version : <sigh> now or never.....

MHOUSE
07-02-2003, 12:49 AM
It's great to see KW and the Sox going for it now. We're playing our best baseball so add two players to fill our two biggest holes. Great. But the team damn well better win NOW and go deep in the playoffs or win it all because otherwise this whole season and these acquisitions will backfire HORRIBLY.

There is plenty of logic to both of these moves, I agree. But why give up 6 prospects to get them? Does KW always have to give up 3 players in every trade?

Ring is a great prospect and Almonte was pretty good. If Cotts, Rauch, Cooper, or Honel are involved in the Texas deal then I have to say that overall we overpaid a ton. Williams is selling the farm and the future to win NOW. If we don't make the playoffs, get swept, or win one measely game then everyone leaves and we're the Detroit Tigers. Alomar, Everett, Colon, they all leave if we lose. Imagine this team without them and Buehrle in a Cardinal uni. Not pretty.

Sadly if we win Manuel will be signed to an extension. I thought this season might rid the cancer, but now there is a chance to add so much more. I want the team to win as much as the next Sox fan and it's great to see them make a statement, but I can't help but feel pessimistic about this because of the past however many odd years the Sox have dealt with this. If it works then wonderful. If not then WATCH OUT.

But maybe it's the apocalypse afterall. :D:

doublem23
07-02-2003, 01:08 AM
Ring was all right, but he was, after all a relief picthing prospect... About as low on the totem pole as you can get. Almonte is nothing... He's a dud. Who else did they trade to get Alomar? I recognized the name but know very little about him, making me think he's pretty much a dud, too. I'm more pissed that we pretty much completely wasted a first round pick with Ring. Gone after a year? What the ****?

As for the Texas trade, Bruce Levine on ESPN said that Honel and Rauch will not be a part of this trade. As for Cotts... Whatever. Sometimes you have to trade, and he's not really shown me anything yet to make me gush over him the way some people do (primarly members of the Aaron Miles Fan Club, as I see it). For what we could get, I'm glad. Didn't trade any of the premier guys like Kris, Jeremy, Joe, or Jon, but still got some serviceable Major Leaguers at discount price.

Kenny learning? Get out of town.

:bandance:

ilsox7
07-02-2003, 01:15 AM
I posted this on another thread but will mention it here. The Tribune reported that the Sox gave up 2 or 3 lower level minor leaguers for Mr. Everett. Sounds too good to be true, but hey it works for me.

Unregistered
07-02-2003, 01:18 AM
As is reported by the Trib, "will receive two or three lower level minor-leaguers from the Sox".

Doesn't sound like the Sox would be much better off next year had these trades not happened...

doublem23
07-02-2003, 01:20 AM
I can't even imagine who down there would be of value to Texas... This just keeps getting sweeter!

B. Diddy
07-02-2003, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
It's great to see KW and the Sox going for it now. We're playing our best baseball so add two players to fill our two biggest holes. Great. But the team damn well better win NOW and go deep in the playoffs or win it all because otherwise this whole season and these acquisitions will backfire HORRIBLY.

Maybe the Sox losing 100 games next season wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. The worst teams get the highest draft picks, which are often impact players (or at least more so than the later picks). The Cubs were the second-worst team a couple years ago and were able to draft Prior. Talk about impact. I'd rather the Sox completely suck for a couple seasons and be able to rebuild into a contender with good draft picks than be 81-81 for the next decade.

The Bears have the same problem. They're bad, but are never bad enough to draft anybody that'll thrust them into contention right away. When was the last time they were able to land a marquee QB or RB? The Colts were absolutely terrible in '97 and '98 and landed Manning and Edgerrin the following years. Suddenly, they're a playoff team in '99. Same thing with the Eagles and McNabb.

voodoochile
07-02-2003, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by B. Diddy
Maybe the Sox losing 100 games next season wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. The worst teams get the highest draft picks, which are often impact players (or at least more so than the later picks). The Cubs were the second-worst team a couple years ago and were able to draft Prior. Talk about impact. I'd rather the Sox completely suck for a couple seasons and be able to rebuild into a contender with good draft picks than be 81-81 for the next decade.

The Bears have the same problem. They're bad, but are never bad enough to draft anybody that'll thrust them into contention right away. When was the last time they were able to land a marquee QB or RB? The Colts were absolutely terrible in '97 and '98 and landed Manning and Edgerrin the following years. Suddenly, they're a playoff team in '99. Same thing with the Eagles and McNabb.

The flubbies got totally lucky to land Prior. He was clearly the number one pick, but the Twins passed on him. Those type of players don't come along every year. Counting on building through the draft on baseball is counting on failing over the long run, IMO.

Have to take chances when you get the opportunity...

Nails
07-02-2003, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
The flubbies got totally lucky to land Prior. He was clearly the number one pick, but the Twins passed on him.......Counting on building through the draft on baseball is counting on failing over the long run, IMO.

In what other sport would a newly emerging team who desperately needed quality players to push them over the hump(twins) pass on one of the most promising draft prospects in years at a crucial position because they didn't want to risk paying him the cash?

MHOUSE
07-02-2003, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Unregistered
As is reported by the Trib, "will receive two or three lower level minor-leaguers from the Sox".

Doesn't sound like the Sox would be much better off next year had these trades not happened...

True. If we can get out of the two trades and have Ring be the only guy we really miss, then hey that's great. I'm just nervous as to who Kenny's players to be named are. When will they know?

soxrme
07-02-2003, 12:39 PM
Hey give him credit for at least doing something. Konerko was counted on to do alot and has done nothing. Rios was not a good addition, lets go for it.

B. Diddy
07-02-2003, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
The flubbies got totally lucky to land Prior. He was clearly the number one pick, but the Twins passed on him. Those type of players don't come along every year. Counting on building through the draft on baseball is counting on failing over the long run, IMO.

Have to take chances when you get the opportunity...

Or one could say that the Twins were lucky enough to be able to pass on him. But they wouldn't have been lucky had they been a .500 team instead of a .380 team.

I understand that Prior may be an exception, but one guy like that chan change your fortune pretty quickly. Weren't Thomas and Ventura high (top 10) picks?

ndgt10
07-02-2003, 12:54 PM
Didn't Prior say that he would not sign with the twins if they picked him?

gosox3072
07-02-2003, 01:58 PM
No the twins didnt want to front the money to sign him, they were gonna be contracted at the time