PDA

View Full Version : July 1, 2003: The Day the 2003 White Sox Broke

cheeses_h_rice
07-01-2003, 10:39 PM
I coincidentally had bought tix for tonight's game back in March, so imagine my surprise when trying to get off the Dan Ryan at 35th, only to have a police squad car suddenly block off the exit ramp and tell us to head to the next exit. There, we were routed to the unpaved parking lot on Wentworth that's never used except for really big series. My wife and I had bet each other what the attendance would be tonight on the way down -- she said about 25K, I said 20,500. I tried to modify my prediction to 26,000 or so when I saw the parking. As we walked up to the park, I saw these HUGE lines, which I thought were the lines to get in -- nope, these were lines of cash-paying ticket buyers, two dozen deep each. Amazing. I have never ever seen that at the park, or least not in recent memory.

When I got into the park, I told my wife that my guess was way off, that attendance was closer to 31K or 32K, and the actual total ended up being 30,600 or so.

Anyway, what a great night besides the success at the box office. Great first inning by Frank and Daubach, great (OK, good, but very timely) pitching by MB, *great* defense by Carlos and Willie, and good relief pitching by Flash G. I have never seen the 2003 Sox put it together like this when it really really mattered, AND in front of a huge crowd AND against our arch nemesis. AND on a day where we deal for one if not two solid vets, proving management is committed to this team for the long haul this year.

Man. What a sweet sweet night to be a Sox fan.

LuvSox
07-01-2003, 10:43 PM
Things like this should prove to Uncle Jerry that we give a **** when he gives a ****.

BearSox
07-01-2003, 10:58 PM
This day will go down in Sox faithful history. 40 years from now i'll be telling my grandchildren of trade day July 1, 2003 when the sox picked up the bats and defense to go all the way as they brought home the world series crown! I'll tell them about this box thing called a computer that i kept my ear plugged to for listening to the game and all the updates on the day and how i ran around in celbration as the news was released and the Sox beat their rivals the twins!

July 1,2003! Oh Happy Day!

SoxxoS
07-01-2003, 10:59 PM
We obviously play a lot better in front of big crowds. Boads well for possible playoffs...

VeeckAsInWreck
07-01-2003, 11:13 PM
July 1, 2003 definitely leaves you with a better feeling than July 31, 1997 ever did!

KW may not be done yet, the time to win is now, and thankfully Sox management sees that!

kevingrt
07-01-2003, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by VeeckAsInWreck
July 1, 2003 definitely leaves you with a better feeling than July 31, 1997 ever did!

KW may not be done yet, the time to win is now, and thankfully Sox management sees that!

I think KW and JR are seeing that and aren't even closed to finishing this run towards a WS!

Thunderstruck30
07-01-2003, 11:51 PM
What makes the day better is the Cubs lost on the last at bat. They are 5-13 their last 18 games. LMAO. What a great day to be a Sox fan.

valposoxfan
07-02-2003, 02:25 AM
Alright calm down a little with the WS talk :D: But honestly, I'm excited. Solid pick ups. I just hope that KW isn't done. But yeah it was a good night. This team is playing well everyone. Go Sox!!!

gosox41
07-02-2003, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by LuvSox
Things like this should prove to Uncle Jerry that we give a **** when he gives a ****.

Let's see how the Sox draw on a non-hlaf price night. Won't Alomar and Everett be in the lineup tonight? Extra incentive to come out.

Bob

WhiteSox = Life
07-02-2003, 06:36 AM
I don't know about Everett...

Alomar is a mystery, too. Apparently, he has some things he needs to clear up in New York, so he might not play until Friday's game against Tampa.

If Alomar will play and the Sox fans find out early enough, there will be a larger amount probably.

But, with the team playing like they have, and the change to sweep the Twins and move to possibly within 2 games of 1st, this game may be a good one to go to.

With a 6:05 start and no fireworks after all, it'll be interesting to see the walk-up sales tonight. I hope the fans continue to support this team and give JR more reasons to give KW some room to continue trading.

stefaninsane
07-02-2003, 09:43 AM
Stupid trades. Alomar is a FA after the season and we gave up our 1st-rd'er last year to get him (not that it wasn't real smart to draft a reliever in the 1st rd anyway). Everett's washed up and we give up 3 prospects for him?? Does this team have any direction? Best case we make the playoffs and get swept by the Yanks or A's or M's...big deal. Let's build a team from the ground up, get a f'n plan and stick with it.

Juan Pizarro
07-02-2003, 09:51 AM
Everett has as many home runs and more RBI than our current team leaders.
Alomar is a better fielder than anyone in our infield, and he kills the Twins.
And if the compensation for FAs is still in effect, they'll get first-rounders each for players they're not paying! These are the kinds of deals on which the revered Billy Beane has built his reputation.

thecell
07-02-2003, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by stefaninsane
Stupid trades. Alomar is a FA after the season and we gave up our 1st-rd'er last year to get him (not that it wasn't real smart to draft a reliever in the 1st rd anyway). Everett's washed up and we give up 3 prospects for him?? Does this team have any direction? Best case we make the playoffs and get swept by the Yanks or A's or M's...big deal. Let's build a team from the ground up, get a f'n plan and stick with it.

Thanks for providing a comedic view on the deals. By the way, us fans in Chicago have suffered long enough and are sick and tired of waiting 'til next year! Let's win NOW!!!

ode to veeck
07-02-2003, 10:31 AM
who'da thunk it that KW would help JR break out of the "need fan support 1st" entrenchment with a couple of trades that plug several holes (Lhanded hitting, lead-off man, a hitting OF, solid 2B) ... last night's 14k+ walk-ups reminds one of the "Field of Dreams" central quote (that JR should take to heart): "if you build it, he (they) will come" ... the spirit of shoeless joe seems alive and well for now on the south side

moochpuppy
07-02-2003, 10:39 AM
All this brings in some good publicity to the Sox two weeks before the All-Star break. If the Sox keep up their winning ways (winning 8 of last 11), they will be the talk of MLB during the mid-season break.

ode to veeck
07-02-2003, 10:47 AM
All this brings in some good publicity to the Sox two weeks before the All-Star break

it was great to watch Peter "Red Sox" Gammons dribbling over himself about the Sox last night

longshot7
07-02-2003, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by ode to veeck
it was great to watch Peter "Red Sox" Gammons dribbling over himself about the Sox last night

what'd he say?

TornLabrum
07-02-2003, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by longshot7
what'd he say?

The concensus on Baseball Tonight, led by Gammons, is that the Sox are now the favorites in the AL Central. I thought gammons was gonna pee on himself.