PDA

View Full Version : another trade

B. Diddy
07-01-2003, 09:31 PM
Just watching Baseball Tonight and Carl Everett has apparently agreed to a trade to the Sox. Walked in the room at the last minute and didn't get to hear the whole thing. Doesn't sound like done deal yet, though.

ndgt10
07-01-2003, 09:31 PM
Not sure who they gave up yet.

soxrme
07-01-2003, 09:32 PM
Espn said a couple of minutes ago the trade is done for Everitt. Got him for 3 un-named guys in the minors

1951Campbell
07-01-2003, 09:32 PM
They say their sources are usually right. :smile:

Soxfan7070
07-01-2003, 09:33 PM
Farmer just mentioned something about the trade needing to be finalized on ESPN1000...

DonkeyKongerko
07-01-2003, 09:33 PM
I am hearing Neil Cotts is prolly involved..

1951Campbell
07-01-2003, 09:38 PM
Now we have the best spitter and the best cooler-tosser in the majors, all in one day!

ChiSox14305635
07-01-2003, 09:39 PM
This was being reported on ESPN 1000 for 3 prospects (like the Alomar trade). Not yet, who they are, but they're saying this is almost a done deal.

Unregistered
07-01-2003, 09:40 PM
Just heard it mentioned again on BBTN... They keep saying "if the trade goes through"...

Daver
07-01-2003, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by 1951Campbell
Now we have the best spitter and the best cooler-tosser in the majors, all in one day!

Be nice if we had the best base-thrower in the business to manage them..........

MarkEdward
07-01-2003, 09:42 PM
So, anyone know about the prospects yet?

siugrad25
07-01-2003, 09:45 PM
Boston Gammons just said he's expecting the trade to be finalized by 11 p.m. (EDT)... He said they're still agreeing on a minor leaguer.

ndgt10
07-01-2003, 09:45 PM
per bruce levine, possibilities are rauch, malone, honel, and two others.

duke of dorwood
07-01-2003, 09:46 PM
Well, we are white flagging our minor league system .

1951Campbell
07-01-2003, 09:46 PM
Bruce Levine says there's a pool of 5 prospects, from which the Rangers can pick 3.

NC_sox_fan
07-01-2003, 09:47 PM
Oh no...not Honel....anyone but Honel!!!!!! :gulp:

Saracen
07-01-2003, 09:48 PM
It better @#@#$ not be Honel.

SoxxoS
If we trade Honel I will throw up.

Rauch, or Cotts, I would say OK, but not Honel. He is the best pitching prospect we got.

Daver
Originally posted by duke of dorwood

HUH?

Their are very few players in our system that I would not want to part with for a chance at a league title now.

1951Campbell

I hear the minor league World Series is not as fun to win.

MarqSox

If nothing else, nobody can fault the Sox for going for it.

rmusacch
07-01-2003, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by ndgt10
per bruce levine, possibilities are rauch, malone, honel, and two others.

Man I hope that is not true. I like Honel.

SoxxoS
I think I would rather trade Borchard than Honel.

Mammoo
Way to go, trader Kenny!!

If the Sox are going down, at least they'll go down fighting!!!

MarkEdward
07-01-2003, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by Saracen
It better @#@#$ not be Honel.

My thoughts exactly.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-01-2003, 09:53 PM
Minor leaguers are meant to be traded. "Potential" is just another excuse for "not this year" thinking. We've had enough of that the last 8 decades.

sox_fan_forever
07-01-2003, 09:54 PM
I really don't want to see Honel traded, but right now I'm in a "whatever it takes to win" kind of mood. Honestly, I don't know what to think right now. As a fan of the Chicago White Sox I'm not used to this sort of thing.

1951Campbell
07-01-2003, 09:55 PM
:KW

"I made trades and stuff! Now respect my authoritay!"

NC_sox_fan
07-01-2003, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Minor leaguers are meant to be traded. "Potential" is just another excuse for "not this year" thinking. We've had enough of that the last 8 decades.

George....that's kinda true. But it's a good thing we kept some of the Sox minor leaguers....ie....
FRANK
MAGS
CREDE
C.LEE
etc.
etc.....

B. Diddy
07-01-2003, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by 1951Campbell
I hear the minor league World Series is not as fun to win.

Damn straight. I could give a rat's ass about our minor league system right now. It's either win now or three more years of purgatory.

Mammoo
07-01-2003, 10:03 PM
The boys on BBTN all agree that the Everett deal is a major coups by Williams. They say it puts the Sox in the drivers seat. Bobby Valentine says it even puts pressure on "that team on the North Side!!!"

Saracen
07-01-2003, 10:04 PM
What Valentine said was great. Boston Gammons said major kudos need to be given to KW for Colon, Loaiza & these 2 deals.

fquaye149
07-01-2003, 10:08 PM
i'll say this:

it sucks to lose prospects

but we could have easily white flagged and got sweet prospects for colon, konerko, etc.

would you have been happy then?

i'm very happy now

Joel Perez
07-01-2003, 10:09 PM
http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2003/0701/1575580.html

ScottySoxFan
07-01-2003, 10:10 PM
Gammons says that the Rangers will be paying for Everett's remaining salary.

This is unbelievable.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-01-2003, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by fquaye149
i'll say this:

but we could have easily white flagged and got sweet prospects for colon, konerko, etc.

i'm very happy now

Great point. If they were ditching talented ballplayers and building for some future point in time that history proves hasn't arrived on the South Side for over 80 years, I would be pissed as hell right now.

The exact opposite has occurred, and I'm delighted.

Viva Magglio
Originally posted by fquaye149
i'll say this:

i'm very happy now

Let's just hope these trades don't backfire. If they do, it could set back the organization big time.

SoxxoS
Let's go Peter...were waiting...

lowesox
07-01-2003, 10:13 PM
I'm not sure what to think. I think we overpaid slightly for Alomar, but I still think it was a good move. Picking up everett is good too, depending on who we give up - and how many.

Rauch and Malone for instance I would be okay with. But Honel in any trade is far too much.

SoxxoS
07-01-2003, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
Let's just hope these trades don't backfire. If they do, it could set back the organization big time.

It doesn't hurt the organization if the owner is willing to spend money. We'll see what happens.

sox_fan_forever
07-01-2003, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by ScottySoxFan
Gammons says that the Rangers will be paying for Everett's remaining salary.

This is unbelievable.

Wow. That's amazing.

SoxxoS
They probably gave up a pretty good prospect, then.

Please, NO HONEL.

MarkEdward
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!

Especially if we give up someone like Honel...

SoxxoS
07-01-2003, 10:17 PM
Ofman on the score right now-

Yet to identify the 3 minor leaguers. Much better shape than he was last year, when he had problems with his ankle. Hit only .211 in June. Carl Everett will most likely hit leadoff.

FanOf14
07-01-2003, 10:18 PM
The said something about Jimenez being part of it in the post game, the talking heads and Frank Thomas said Jimenez was headed to Texas.

Daver
07-01-2003, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
I'm not sure what to think. I think we overpaid slightly for Alomar, but I still think it was a good move.

What kind of weird logic are you using to arrive at this determination?

Tragg
07-01-2003, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by FanOf14
The said something about Jimenez being part of it in the post game, the talking heads and Frank Thomas said Jimenez was headed to Texas.

I was thinking Gary Glover would look sharp in that Ranger red and blue. I know the rangers are after pitching, so let's hope they didn't hurt us too bad - we'll need it eventually.

But I like this pick-up.

Joel Perez
07-01-2003, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Ofman on the score right now-

Yet to identify the 3 minor leaguers. Much better shape than he was last year, when he had problems with his ankle. Hit only .211 in June. Carl Everett will most likely hit leadoff.

I'm curious to find out how many times Everett is hitting leadoff currently.

He used to do this every so often in Houston.

He also has some speed, but I would rather see Roberto Alomar at the top of the lineup...something like this:

2B Alomar
SS Valentin
1B Thomas
RF Ordonez
CF Everett
LF Lee
DH Konerko
3B Crede
C Olivo/S. Alomar

Betcha that Jimenez, Rowand and Rauch are gone.

SoxxoS
Someone on the Sox post game said Jimenez was "one of the casualties", so take that as you wish.

Joel Perez
Originally posted by daver

I, too, thought that the Mets were picking up most of Alomar's salary....

FanOf14
07-01-2003, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by Joel Perez

Ouch. That seems a bit steep for a rent-a-player.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-01-2003, 10:25 PM

He also has some speed, but I would rather see Roberto Alomar at the top of the lineup...something like this:

2B Alomar
SS Valentin
1B Thomas
RF Ordonez
CF Everett
LF Lee
DH Konerko
3B Crede
C Olivo/S. Alomar

:jerry
"The lineup possibilities are DELICIOUS!"

:moron
"Hey, that's my line!"

rmusacch
07-01-2003, 10:26 PM

2B Alomar
SS Valentin
1B Thomas
RF Ordonez
CF Everett
LF Lee
DH Konerko
3B Crede
C Olivo/S. Alomar

That would not be too bad off a loss.

Daver
I, too, thought that the Mets were picking up most of Alomar's salary....

That's close to correct,they are paying ALL of it.

:bandance:

Joel Perez
Originally posted by Tragg
I was thinking Gary Glover would look sharp in that Ranger red and blue. I know the rangers are after pitching, so let's hope they didn't hurt us too bad - we'll need it eventually.

But I like this pick-up.

Or, how's this...White is gone, was being showcased to the Rangers...the TR's wanted Glover, but the pen did not show Glover off as much, so the Ranger scouts had nothing to go by. So, either White or Flash Gordon is gone...the Rangers has had their troubles with Urgie Urbina this year. I would like to see how much UU is getting paid compared to Flash.

Unregistered
07-01-2003, 10:27 PM
Betcha that Jimenez, Rowand and Rauch are gone. That seems like a helluvalot to give up for Carl Everett. But maybe that's just me...

FanOf14
07-01-2003, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by rmusacch
I turned it to Sportscenter before they got to talking about Everett. Kinda hate to see Jimenez go.

I can't say the same about Jimenez. His brain farted too much for my tastes while he was on defense. If he concentrated a little more, I think I would miss him though.

Joel Perez
07-01-2003, 10:28 PM
Ouch. That seems a bit steep for a rent-a-player.

Good point, but so does giving up a #1 prospect like Kris Honel, especially since he's a hometown kid.

Rauch and Cotts would be good, straight up. Throw in another reliever, a la Glover or White, and call up Ginter from AAA.

ilsox7
As of now, every report has it being 3 minor leaguers to the Rangers...but I hope DJ is gone.

SoxxoS
If that is the case-Jimenez, Rowand and Rauch for Everett is a coup IMO.

A brain dead infielder who is backing up Ryan Klesko's "lazy" claim every time I see him. Not to mention the definition of a "mental midget"

I like Rowand. However, you have to give to get, and he can be replaced rather easily.

Rauch is a midlevel prospect at best. shoulder surgery is known as the death knoll by pitchers for a reason.

Lip Man 1
Sorry to all of those who are worried about the Sox mortaging their "glorious future". I couldn't care less that the Sox may have unloaded the next "Hall Of Famers" like Scott Ruffcorn and Rodney Bolton.

For too long we've been waiting for that great future....the future is NOW dammit!

We tried the other approach on July 31, 1997, remember that day? That sure worked out great didn't it? We sure won a lot of titles didn't we with all those "future stars."

Also did you notice that the Sox had a record near 15 thousand walk up's tonight! See what happens when you actually TRY to win something?

And I think (hope) the Sox aren't done. They aren't paying one thin dime for Alomar or Everett!!!!! They can STILL go out and get another pitcher or a better catcher and only raise payroll slightly for the last three months if they wish.

As far as I'm concerned this makes up for 97. Uncle Jerry and I are now square on the table. (I never thought I'd say THAT!)

Just win baby!

Lip

MarkEdward
Or, how's this...White is gone, was being showcased to the Rangers...the TR's wanted Glover, but the pen did not show Glover off as much, so the Ranger scouts had nothing to go by. So, either White or Flash Gordon is gone...the Rangers has had their troubles with Urgie Urbina this year. I would like to see how much UU is getting paid compared to Flash.

I don't think the Rangers are looking for vets like Gordon or White or Glover. They're in the market for guys like Rauch, Honel, Malone, etc.

Viva Magglio
07-01-2003, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Unregistered
That seems like a helluvalot to give up for Carl Everett. But maybe that's just me...

We're giving up minor leaguers for Everett, right? Of course, there will be roster move casualties.

Joel Perez
07-01-2003, 10:30 PM
Funny, nothing quoted on ChicagoSports.com yet regarding Everett coming over...I wonder what's up.

Jjav829
That seems like a helluvalot to give up for Carl Everett. But maybe that's just me...

If you think that's a lot, you better brace yourself. Rauch, Rowand, and Jimenez is nothing.

PaleHoseGeorge
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
....As far as I'm concerned this makes up for 97. Uncle Jerry and I are now square on the table. (I never thought I'd say THAT!)

Just win baby!

Lip

<PHG faints>

:smile:

Unregistered
07-01-2003, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by ilsox7
As of now, every report has it being 3 minor leaguers to the Rangers...but I hope DJ is gone. See, we're not the only ones who think Jimenez is not a Major League ballplayer... :D:

SoxxoS
07-01-2003, 10:31 PM
Sorry to all of those who are worried about the Sox mortaging their "glorious future". I couldn't care less that the Sox may have unloaded the next "Hall Of Famers" like Scott Ruffcorn and Rodney Bolton.

For too long we've been waiting for that great future....the future is NOW dammit!

We tried the other approach on July 31, 1997, remember that day? That sure worked out great didn't it? We sure won a lot of titles didn't we with all those "future stars."

Also did you notice that the Sox had a record near 15 thousand walk up's tonight! See what happens when you actually TRY to win something?

And I think (hope) the Sox aren't done. They aren't paying one thin dime for Alomar or Everett!!!!! They can STILL go out and get another pitcher or a better catcher and only raise payroll slightly for the last three months if they wish.

As far as I'm concerned this makes up for 97. Uncle Jerry and I are now square on the table. (I never thought I'd say THAT!)

Just win baby!

Lip

Ok, who are you and what did you do with the real Lip?

FanOf14
07-01-2003, 10:32 PM
If that is the case-Jimenez, Rowand and Rauch for Everett is a coup IMO.

A brain dead infielder who is backing up Ryan Klesko's "lazy" claim every time I see him. Not to mention the definition of a "mental midget"

I like Rowand. However, you have to give to get, and he can be replaced rather easily.

Rauch is a midlevel prospect at best. shoulder surgery is known as the death knoll by pitchers for a reason.

I thought Rauch was doing really well in the minors in the season, but the give to get point is well taken.

Jjav829
07-01-2003, 10:32 PM
<PHG faints>

LOL, maybe it should be more like...

<all of WSI faints>

lowesox
07-01-2003, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by daver

What didn't you understand? Did I type too fast?

Unregistered
07-01-2003, 10:34 PM
As far as I'm concerned this makes up for 97. Uncle Jerry and I are now square on the table. (I never thought I'd say THAT!) Ladies and Gentlemen, the first sign of the Apocalypse...

FanOf14
07-01-2003, 10:34 PM
See, we're not the only ones who think Jimenez is not a Major League ballplayer... :D:

LMAO! Great Post!!! :) :D: :) :D:

BearSox
07-01-2003, 10:35 PM

Just win baby!

Lip

Heres the big difference between 2000 and 2003..2003 we were "Still A Year Away" Now we're going for it!! This is the year SOX FANS!!

ndgt10
Bruce Levine says that Kris Honel and Jon Rauch are not involved in the trade.

Joel Perez
:gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

Lip, I hope that you are right regarding more moves to be done. If the Sox go after one more stud pitcher, then we have a REAL shot, Jeff Weavers notwithstanding.

I just told my older brother here in SA TX, and he did the *faint* thing right now...he's trying to get Robbie Alomar on his fantasy league team, but I already snagged him.... :D:

Shiner Bocks to all my friends at WSI.Com!!!!

Daver
Originally posted by lowesox
What didn't you understand? Did I type too fast?

Why would you think giving up two guys that will never play in the majors and a mistake of a first round pick that will be a set up man at best overpaying?

ScottySoxFan
Bruce Levine says Honel and Rauch are not involved in the trade.

Maximum of 3 players - minor leagues.

As soon as the Rangers game is over the trade will be announced officially.

Rios and Jimenez will be diesgnated for assignment tomorrow.

BearSox
07-01-2003, 10:36 PM
According to Bruce Levine Honel and Rauch are not a part of the trade

SoxxoS
07-01-2003, 10:36 PM
I thought Rauch was doing really well in the minors in the season, but the give to get point is well taken.

He isn't doing that well, especially considering his past success in the minors-

4.26 ERA, 68 hits in 74 innings, only 55 K's, and only 18 walks. Just average. Plus, I believe he is 24.

Joel Perez
07-01-2003, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by ndgt10
Bruce Levine says that Kris Honel and Jon Rauch are not involved in the trade.

If that's the case then, THANK GOD!!! Both has to stay, if the Sox's pitching corps is to still have any credibility in the minors.

Something tells me that the Sox will go after collegiate pitchers next draft.

THE_HOOTER
This is unbelievable, I mean just unbelievable.

I tell you what though, if they are going for it, they better get another arm in that bullpen.

Rick White looks reaaallly good right now--I cant belive that either.

one more bullpen arm, and I think I might actually have nothing to bitch about.

For anyone who bitches about the Alomar deal, even with Durham our defense was still below average.

Alomar makes our Garlands and Buerhles better immediately.

This was a good day--a weird, new experience kind of day.

Almost like in shock kind of day.

Viva Magglio
Originally posted by ScottySoxFan
Rios and Jimenez will be diesgnated for assignment tomorrow.

That alone is cause for...

:gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

B. Diddy

I'd agree that you're in the minority. They can go ahead and take Rauch, Honel, Jiminez, etc. Bruce Levine has just said that his sources say Honel wasn't involved anyway. He also said that Rios and Jiminez are being released. Not a huge loss, IMO. If we don't at least make the playoffs this year and get some butts in the empty blue seats, we're not going to have Frank, Buehrle, Colon, etc. next year and we're screwed anyway.

I read somewhere that Alomar historically has done much better in the #2 spot. So perhaps this order would work well:

1. Everett, CF
2. R. Alomar, 2B
3. Frank, 1B
4. Mags, RF
5. Carlos, LF
6. Jose, SS
7. Daubach, DH
8. Crede, 3B
9. S. Alomar/Olivo, C

SoxxoS
Originally posted by BearSox
According to Bruce Levine Honel and Rauch are not a part of the trade

I wish that said Honel and Cotts are not part of the trade.

I would say 95% Cotts is gone.

FanOf14
07-01-2003, 10:38 PM
Hurry up and finish the game Texas - I need to go to bed, but I want details first!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

FanOf14
07-01-2003, 10:40 PM
He isn't doing that well, especially considering his past success in the minors-

4.26 ERA, 68 hits in 74 innings, only 55 K's, and only 18 walks. Just average. Plus, I believe he is 24.

I must have lost count somewhere, a while back (I stopped paying attention for awhile) he had a 2 something ERA.

SoxxoS
Cotts #'s-

8-2 1.83 ERA, 43 hits in 68 innings with 96 K's and 39 walks.

I heard he is a wicked curveball. This is a guy I really hope doesn't go, although it looks like it is going to happen.

Jjav829
Top of the 7th in Anaheim. Get that game going already. Im not going to sleep until this trade is announced.

BTW, for what it is worth, Bruce Levine says he still thinks that KW might make another trade since he hasn't added any payroll with these 2 trades.

MarkEdward
07-01-2003, 10:41 PM
Wow, we're going to have two Tomato Awards in the same day. Way to go, WSI... :bandance:

jeremyb1
all i can say is i hope we win the world series. what really kills me is that if jr would pay the 4 mil left on his salary we wouldn't have to give up any prospects but instead it appears we're pretting much allowing them to completely rape and pillage our already struggling system. we'll have to wait and see who we give up before analyzing the deal but lets just say i really hope this results in a world series. apparently we're replacing a 25 year old with 4 years left on his deal with a 35 year old with with less production and only a year left at second. maybe alomar's the guy he is in cleveland, everett is the guy he's been so far this season and we win it all. maybe we resign or offer arbitration to both players and receive 4 picks in the first 40 in next years draft (6 if colon goes too).

i just always try to keep an eye on the future. this seems to be an all or nothing thing because we only have the veterans for one season and we no longer have suitable replacements for them next season. unless we win the world series and jr opens the checkbook this is what we're looking at next season:

harris 2b
rowand cf
frank 1b
maggs rf
carlos lf
paully dh
crede 3b
olivo c
?? ss

loaiza
buehrle
garland
wright
???

marte
koch
glover
sanders
???
???

i'm not sure that team has a shot at 85 games. we lose colon, both alomars, white, gordon, jimenez (if he's in this deal), everett, and valentin. that's close to a third of the roster. maybe the fact that we're losing some of those guys without these deals makes these deals worthwhile. regardless, if it wasn't now or never before, it is now. if reed, cotts, honel, or webster is involved we're sacrificing a lot.

SoxxoS
Levine said they will be players to be named later...does that mean after the Rangers game or later like...later?

Joel Perez
07-01-2003, 10:42 PM

Actually, I think that's pretty darn good considering that he's two years removed from major surgery on his throwing arm. Some pitchers need the repetition to get back into the groove to come back. Don't tell me that no one wants to see Jonny Rauch in a Sox's uni in '04, especially if the Big Bart walks to another team for more $$$.

24 is still young...you can only gain experience, and hopefully Jonny is learning patience to do what he has to do down there at AAA to get back.

BTW--isn't Texas playing in Anaheim right now on the West Coast? Yep, it's 7-1 Anaheim in the 7th right now...I'll try to listen on the game on 760 the Ticket here in Luling/SA right now, and get back w/you guys and gals.

Daver
07-01-2003, 10:42 PM
Cotts #'s-

8-2 1.83 ERA, 43 hits in 68 innings with 96 K's and 39 walks.

I heard he is a wicked curveball. This is a guy I really hope doesn't go, although it looks like it is going to happen.

Cott's control problems go beyond his walk totals,but the fact that he has been on the DL this year and last year may have scared Texas off.

Jjav829
07-01-2003, 10:43 PM
Who else is listening to ESPN 1000? Did Levine just say that the players will not be announced right away? I wasn't really paying full attention but I thought he said the trade will be official after the Texas game is over, but the players the Sox trade will just be PTBNL and announced later on. Can anyone confirm this?

SoxxoS
07-01-2003, 10:43 PM
Actually, I think that's pretty darn good considering that he's two years removed from major surgery on his throwing arm. Some pitchers need the repetition to get back into the groove to come back. Don't tell me that no one wants to see Jonny Rauch in a Sox's uni in '04, especially if the Big Bart walks to another team for more $$$.
24 is still young...you can only gain experience, and hopefully Jonny is learning patience to do what he has to do down there at AAA to get back.

If we replace Colon with Rauch, we are in big...no HUGE...trouble.

SoxxoS
07-01-2003, 10:44 PM
PTBNL are usually the lesser known prospects, now that would be phenomenal.

FanOf14
07-01-2003, 10:44 PM
Email from the Sox:

CARL EVERETT SIGNS WITH WHITE SOX
After a 6-1 victory over AL Central rival Minnesota and only eight
hours after announcing they had traded for All-Star second
baseman Roberto Alomar, the White Sox confirmed that they
had acquired Rangers outfielder Carl Everett in exchange for two
or three minor-leaguers to be named later.

For the full story, check out whitesox.com >>
http://lists.mlb.com/u/169351/550263
White Sox Story (http://lists.mlb.com/u/169351/550263)

sox_fan_forever
07-01-2003, 10:45 PM
PTBNL are usually the lesser known prospects, now that would be phenomenal.

Yeah, that would be awesome.

ScottyTheSoxFan
:tomatoaward

woo hoo

Saracen
John Hart didn't want the Sox to pay Everett's salary. He wanted pitching prospects. TEXAS, not the Sox, would never have agreed to a trade just for the salary. They were talking about it on the radio here in Dallas yesterday, before Everett's name ever came up.

These are the trades of the times. In effect Hart is buying prospects from the Sox.

SoxxoS
07-01-2003, 10:47 PM
ESPN just reported that the trade will be finalized at the end of the Angels/Rangers game.

We will give them a "pool" of prospects that they can pick from, at least that is what the guy on ESPN 1000 said.

jeremyb1
07-01-2003, 10:47 PM
anyone concerned everett's ops was 1.163 in april, .893 in may, and a putrid .662 in june or is this the same deal as alomar where he stopped trying since his team is out of contention? lets just say we're in a world of trouble if we end up with the guy from last month.

SoxxoS
07-01-2003, 10:48 PM
Look for the 900 ops player, not the higher nor the lower. I'll take that in a heartbeat.

Joel Perez
07-01-2003, 10:49 PM
The Texas Rangers broadcasters were already naming Everett's replacements in the bottom of the 7th inning, so it's done. All that's left to be said are who are the ones going over.

jeremyb1
07-01-2003, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by Saracen
John Hart didn't want the Sox to pay Everett's salary. He wanted pitching prospects. TEXAS, not the Sox, would never have agreed to a trade just for the salary. They were talking about it on the radio here in Dallas yesterday, before Everett's name ever came up.

These are the trades of the times. In effect Hart is buying prospects from the Sox.

well that's good to hear. based on the reports that hicks made demands to cut payroll i assumed we had refused to pay the salary.

jeremyb1
07-01-2003, 10:50 PM
Look for the 900 ops player, not the higher nor the lower. I'll take that in a heartbeat.

me too. i don't expect him to be as incredible as he was in the first month i just hope he snaps out of whatever funk he was in last month.

Bucktown
07-01-2003, 10:52 PM
CARL EVERETT SIGNS WITH WHITE SOX
After a 6-1 victory over AL Central rival Minnesota and only eight hours after announcing they had traded for All-Star second baseman Roberto Alomar, the White Sox confirmed that they had acquired Rangers outfielder Carl Everett in exchange for two or three minor-leaguers to be named later.

SoxxoS
07-01-2003, 10:53 PM
If you break it down like that...I think Everett's salary is 4.7 million. That is 4.7 million for 3 prospects. That is about 1.55 million a player. That is like bottom of the first round draft $$$ if you break it down like that.

SoxxoS
07-01-2003, 10:55 PM
Also...if Cotts is included in the Everett deal, then we have NO players in the future game at Comiskey park. That would be weird in our own park...

Maybe Cotts isnt included for just that reason...

39thandWallace
07-01-2003, 10:55 PM
Great trades though, I'm glad to see the Sox are after this division it's there for the taking.

Lip Man 1
07-01-2003, 10:57 PM
Jeremy:

Wake up and smell the coffee!!!!!

WE WERE SCREWED NEXT YEAR ANYWAY BECAUSE THE SOX WILL NOT, REPEAT NOT SIGN COLON!!!!

We're going to be garbage for the next FEW years anyway! The Sox minor league system hasn't done squat since the brilliant drafts of the late 80's / early 90's so WHY not take a shot.

Can you please explain to me where you get all this "optimism" for the future? Because I don't see it outside of two or three possible future prospects. Many of the Sox pitchers are blowing out their arms in the minor leagues, Borchard's in a funk, so where are all these "superstars"?

Just wondering.

Lip

Joel Perez
07-01-2003, 10:58 PM
http://texas.rangers.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/tex/news/tex_news.jsp?ymd=20030701&content_id=404706&vkey=news_tex&fext=.jsp&c_id=tex

Looks like the Ranger's decision to dump CE was because of emerging star Mark Teixeira.

MarkEdward
07-01-2003, 11:00 PM
http://texas.rangers.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/tex/news/tex_news.jsp?ymd=20030701&content_id=404706&vkey=news_tex&fext=.jsp&c_id=tex

Looks like the Ranger's decision to dump CE was because of emerging star Mark Teixeira.

Everett's six for his last 40. Ouch.

Joel Perez
07-01-2003, 11:01 PM
Yeah, "numbers don't lie", right? We had better not given up Honel or Rauch!!!

I wonder--does this mean that Joe Borchard's 2003 World Tour has been cancelled? :D:

flo-B-flo
07-01-2003, 11:04 PM
Carl Everett? Will he punch Manuel putting him out for the season? Will the SOX win because of it? He might be mentally unstable. Can Paul K come back? Does Robbie A have anything left? Frank's about found his stroke. Will there be other trades? Another starter? Closer? Crede and Valentin (righthanded) have to step up .....BIG....We wanna win the World Series not just a game in the playoffs.

Brian26

Preach on PHG. You have to go after it this year. The Scott Rufcorns of the world are long forgotten before the Championships are.

kevingrt
They're paying for him too!!! This is amazing prospects for a player and no cash! Wonder who's going this time???

gogosoxgogo
07-01-2003, 11:06 PM
Carl Everet
Batting 1st 29 G 117 AB 24 R 31 H 6 2B 0 3B 5 HR 23 RBI 16 BB 21 K 1 SB 0 CS .265 AVG .362 OBP .444 SLG .807 OPS

Batting 2nd 14 G 53 AB 15 R 18 H 3 2B 0 3B 6 HR 12 RBI 7 BB 9 K 1 SB 0 CS .340 AVG .429 OBP .736 SLG 1.164 OPS

Batting 6th 14 G 49 AB 9 R 16 H 3 2B 3 3B 3 HR 10 RBI 5 BB 8 K 1 SB 1 CS .327 AVG .389 OBP .694 SLG 1.083 OPS

Roberto Alomar
Batting 1st 30 G 112 AB 19 R 29 H 11 2B 0 3B 2 HR 11 RBI 18 BB 17 K 4 SB 0 CS .259 AVG .364 OBP .411 SLG .774 OPS

Batting 2nd 18 G 69 AB 8 R 20 H 3 2B 1 3B 0 HR 3 RBI 6 BB 9 K 2 SB 0 CS .290 AVG .347 OBP .362 SLG .709 OPS

Batting 3rd 22 G 81 AB 7 R 19 H 3 2B 0 3B 0 HR 6 RBI 4 BB 14 K 0 SB 0 CS .235 AVG .276 OBP .272 SLG .547 OPS

jeremyb1
07-01-2003, 11:16 PM
Jeremy:

Wake up and smell the coffee!!!!!

WE WERE SCREWED NEXT YEAR ANYWAY BECAUSE THE SOX WILL NOT, REPEAT NOT SIGN COLON!!!!

We're going to be garbage for the next FEW years anyway! The Sox minor league system hasn't done squat since the brilliant drafts of the late 80's / early 90's so WHY not take a shot.

Can you please explain to me where you get all this "optimism" for the future? Because I don't see it outside of two or three possible future prospects. Many of the Sox pitchers are blowing out their arms in the minor leagues, Borchard's in a funk, so where are all these "superstars"?

Just wondering.

lip did you read the part of my post where i said maybe the fact that we're losing some of those guys without these deals makes these deals worthwhile. regardless, if it wasn't now or never before, it is now. i thought it was pretty clear.

i think everyone agreed that we had a good shot this season with colon board but i don't remember anyone conceeding next season. no one ever sets out to give them one season as a window of opportunity to win. that's a horrible risk because the playoffs are more or less a crap shoot anyways. just think about all the things that can happen in a five game series?

look at the a's last season when their number one starter slumped and got hit hard in two of the five games. that was it for them that one factor gave them virtually no chance of winning that series. if you go out of your way to give yourself only one season to win you're setting yourself up for disaster. the best chance of winning the world series is simply to put a playoff calliber team on the field every season and hope you get some good bounces that your team is hot come playoff time and you win.

take a look at the braves, they've made the playoffs for a decade and despite how good most of those teams are they only have one championship to show for it. i don't necessarily believe that we're making huge sacrifices to our future in these deals. ring wasn't that big of a deal and apparently jimenez, rauch, and honel are not involved in this deal so we're probably having next to no effect on our chances next season. however, i think its dangerous to ever talk as though all that matters is one season. i don't think anyone wants several years of rebuilding without promising young players to ever occur. some people might not care if we were looking at 100 loss seasons in the future (we're not) as long as we increased our chances this season but i for one certainly would.

what you have to remember is 1) as good as we look right now we're still not even .500 yet 2) maggs and carlos only have one season left before free agency after this year while 2) paully's and frank's deals will be taking up a lot of our payroll for several more seasons 3) reinsdorf has not produced the money for an impact free agent since albert belle. that means that if in theory the farm system was stripped bear we would lack means to improve our team and to offset the potential loses of what figures to be a number of departing players.

finally before we get into these discussions about how all of our minor leaguers are worthless lets not forget that in the last five seasons garland, kip wells, josh fogg, wright, olivo, crede, and buehrle were all prospects in our system so to say that its incredibly unlikely any of these prospects become valuable major leaguers and that they're all scott ruffcorn is completely illocial. i'm not going to lose sleep over cotts or ring becoming all-stars but to say deny that they have a legitimate chance of being valuable players is totally ridiculous.

flo-B-flo
07-01-2003, 11:23 PM
Numbers can't measure ....WANNA..... the need to win it all. Sometimes the better team loses to the team that has the most wanna, the ability to want the game more than your opponent. A lot of guys got a lot a wanna but the guys around them don't.

fsphog
07-01-2003, 11:52 PM
has anyone seen if rauch has even pitched in the last week? this leads me to believe that he might be on the dl or just skipping a start. maybe thats why his name wasnt involved in the trade talks.

ilsox7
07-01-2003, 11:56 PM
Tribune reports Rangers to receive 2 or 3 LOWER LEVEL minor leaguers.

spanishwhite
07-02-2003, 12:37 AM
I really cannot believe what Im seeing.

Honel, Rauch, Cotts, etc. is expendable for Everett?

Alot of people want to go for it now, and that is fine but you
dont trade the farm for Everett.

People, the Rangers where going to trade a better hitter(Gonzalez) for a B and C prospect and pay the salary too.

Why would we pay more for Everett?

Everett is not going to win us the world series by the way.
He would be a definite upgrade and a great bat in the lineup.

Im going to guess

Paulino Reynoso
Heath Phillips
BJ laMura

rwschm_bull
07-02-2003, 10:50 AM
They're saying on the radio here in Dallas that all of the players involved are "b" and "c" prospects from the lower minors -- I thought I heard under 24 years...

The Rangers are clearing the deck to play the young kids they've got -- fan interest down here is ZERO -- the major sports voices spend as much time talking about the AA Frisco Roughriders as they do the MLB Rangers. If you're going to play 20 below .500 you might as well be doing it with kids than a bunch of one-year FA's who aren't going to be here much longer...

CE had a no-trade clause that he had to waive -- apparently he wasn't notified of the trade until after the ballgame had concluded -- that's SOP with John Hart apparently -- they all know they're on the block.

CE apparently said all the right things after the game, thanked the Rangers for placing him in a great situation, etc., etc. He's been a model citizen since he got back in shape (he refused a rehab assignment last year that raised some feathers) toward the middle of last season. He's also dropped the spare tire that he reported to camp in Port Charlotte last spring. Yeah, he's been in a slump -- the whole teams been tanking -- but a change of scenery will do him good.

His relationship with Buck Showwalter apparently was very strong. Interesting to see how he gets along with Ghandi, Jr.

I'll monitor KTCK (the Ticket in Dallas) and see what audio comes out...