PDA

View Full Version : Bruce Levine says Carl Everret is The Bat

JRIG
07-01-2003, 07:27 PM
Bruce just on with Mac, Jurko and Harry. Says its the Rangers and it's Carl Everett. He can play center.

joecrede
07-01-2003, 07:27 PM
Per Bruce Levine, Sox/Rangers in talks ...

PaleHoseGeorge
07-01-2003, 07:34 PM
:walnuts
<gulp>

Randar68
07-01-2003, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
Per Bruce Levine, Sox/Rangers in talks ...

I don't think of Carl Everett when I think of "pretty good bat."

To me, he's more trouble than he's worth.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-01-2003, 07:35 PM
:rowand
<gulp>

Tragg
07-01-2003, 07:35 PM
Wow

Roberto Alomar and Carl Everett.

We can start our own anger management 12 step program.

Well, at least we have Ghandi to keep the peace

PaleHoseGeorge
07-01-2003, 07:37 PM
After watching this team sleepwalk through the last 2-1/2 seasons, I'll take a double-helping of fiery ballplayers, thank you very much.

Lip Man 1
07-01-2003, 07:37 PM
Everett is a switch hitter isn't he? The big question with him is his volatile nature. He's been great this year but could Manager Gandhi handle him? and what if Manager gandhi starts platooning him? Talk about a potential explosion.

Still depending on who the Sox had to give up it could be interesting.

Lip

Saracen
07-01-2003, 07:40 PM
Everett's been having a helluva year here in Dallas. And he's been quiet as a mouse.

He would immediately be the Sox RBI leader with 51 so far this year.

Randar68
07-01-2003, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by Saracen
Everett's been having a helluva year here in Dallas. And he's been quiet as a mouse.

He would immediately be the Sox RBI leader with 51 so far this year.

Where would they bat him? Second?

Saracen
07-01-2003, 07:42 PM
Not only that, but Tom Hicks has ordered John Hart to dump salary as the number 1 priority. Same thing with the Dallas Stars - Hart is willing to do this pretty cheap, I'd bet.

ScottySoxFan
07-01-2003, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
I don't think of Carl Everett when I think of "pretty good bat."

To me, he's more trouble than he's worth.

The only player better than Carl offensively on the Sox this season is Frank Thomas.

Everett is a switch hitter, can play any OF position, has a .900 OPS with 18 homeruns. his .983 Fielding Percentage is also better than any White Sox outfielder this year.

Saracen
07-01-2003, 07:44 PM
Alomar should bat 2nd - Everett would have to be 5th, I would think. He's a switch-hitter too.

Randar68
07-01-2003, 07:45 PM
Alomar should bat 2nd - Everett would have to be 5th, I would think. He's a switch-hitter too.

Then this doesn't solve our leadoff problems, does it?

soxrme
07-01-2003, 07:46 PM
Who would we have to give up? I hope its Wright and Jimenez but I don't see that way. I would not give up Garland now. And where are those damn banana's? :D:

Jjav829
07-01-2003, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Where would they bat him? Second?

Obviously I'm not Manuel, but I'd bat him 5th and move Jose back up to the 2nd spot. Something like...

2B- Roberto Alomar
SS- Jose Valentin
1B- Frank Thomas
RF- Magglio Ordonez
CF- Carl Everett
LF- Carlos Lee
3B- Joe Crede
DH- Brian Daubach/Paul Konerko
C-Miguel Olivo

This would certainly be interesting. IIRC, Everett is also a FA at the end of the year, so this would really signal one big shot at the World Series. If not, we would gain quite a few compensatory picks from Alomar, Colon, and Everett.

1951Campbell
07-01-2003, 07:48 PM
Alomar & Everett...with their personalities, I hope they're rent-a-players. Everett more so than Alomar, though.

Saracen
07-01-2003, 07:50 PM
Everett's being squeaky clean this year as he'll be a FA, I think. Rent him for a year, get some compensatory picks when he walks.

Risk
07-01-2003, 07:52 PM
Everret does swing a pretty good stick--granted I would rather have Brian Giles. And he is a definite upgrade over the centerfield platoon we have now. Yet, every place that he seems to go to he has been labeled a cancer in the club house (NYM, Boston, Houston, Rangers). I don't like this move for the fact that in the last month this team has started to show signs of coming together, and a person with such a volitile attitude as Everret could have disasterous effects on the Sox's playoff run. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Risk

ScottySoxFan
07-01-2003, 07:53 PM
I posted this in the other thread, but thought it would be good here as well.

The only player better than Carl offensively on the Sox this season is Frank Thomas.

Everett is a switch hitter, can play any OF position, has a .900 OPS with 18 homeruns. his .983 Fielding Percentage is also better than any White Sox outfielder this year.

Also, the portrayal of Everett's attitude -IMHO- has been substantially overblown. Getting him here on a team that seems to be positioning itself for a huge playoff run would bring great results.

rmusacch
07-01-2003, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by ScottySoxFan

He has tailed off bigtime in June. He started the season really hot.

RKMeibalane
07-01-2003, 07:56 PM
I don't mind this trade as long as he behaves himself. Jerry Manuel will have his work cut out for him if he continues to tinker after Everett arrives.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-01-2003, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by ScottySoxFan
I posted this in the other thread, but thought it would be good here as well.

We've merged the threads. No problems

:bandance:

Randar68
07-01-2003, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by rmusacch
He has tailed off bigtime in June. He started the season really hot.

Yeah, he hit Harris-like numbers in June (.211), and his numbers have been declining since his hot April...

If the Sox trade for him, it better not include any A or B prospects.

jeremyb1
07-01-2003, 08:00 PM
i'm all for it as long as kw can convince jr to take on the rest of the salary (probably around 4 mil). under those circumstances we have the leverage since we're helping them clear salary and wouldn't have to give up anything of value. however, if we do a deal like the alomar trade i'm worried kw might start to get into guys like reed, webster, and honel. even if we just give up another player along the lines of ring (ryan wing?) we'll be losing any depth we had in the system.

Zednem700
07-01-2003, 08:02 PM
I've actually heard that for the most part his teammates have liked Carl. In fact he was really liked in Houston, lots of guys from that team have said nothing but positive stuff about him for years. Since then its a little less clear, but I don't think most clubhouses have had big problems with him. Even in Boston, where he had his biggest meltdowns, there wasn't much negative talk from players. the press however hates him, the abuse he gets over his religious beliefs is truly disgusting. I don't agree with his views, but I find it wrong to go about mocking him and accusing him of being stupid or crazy because he has them.

ilsox7
07-01-2003, 08:03 PM
I cannot believe I am saying this, but these moves are borderline brilliant by KW. The Sox have the month of July to take this division. With the weak schedule, chances are good. However, if for some reason the Sox suck during July, the Sox can still be sellers at the deadline. Giving the team a month to really get this thing together is a smart move.

You have to feel pretty good about things right now.

Tragg
07-01-2003, 08:09 PM
I hope we get Everett; he's a real good hitter and can play a reasonable outfield. Just what we need.

And he appears to have settled down.

Saracen
07-01-2003, 08:12 PM
Everett is no problem in the clubhouse, he's just bizarre. He doesn't believe man actually landed on the moon. Seriously.

Other than being a flake, he's been ok in Dallas. His teammates know he's weird, but they seem to like him fine.

dougs78
07-01-2003, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by soxrme
Who would we have to give up? I hope its Wright and Jimenez but I don't see that way. I would not give up Garland now. And where are those damn banana's? :D:

I'd sure hope not! We are talking about Carl Everett here. More than likely we are going to be taking on a majority of the salary here, so this is a case of salary dump. The rangers want young pitching. I'd be surprised if it cost us much more than Jon Adkins type player to get Everett.

If its true, lets hope Alomar and Everett get their bats going.

B. Diddy
07-01-2003, 09:04 PM
I read the article on Everett in ESPN the Magazine. Despite their blatant attempt to blame his problems on his childhood, others having a problem with his unorthodox religious beliefs, etc., it became apparent to me that this guy just flat-out has anger management issues. I realize that working for a bunch of idiots in Boston (in the Duquette days) didn't help, but I'm concerned about the possibility of him not "fitting in" here. I'm glad that he's finally found some peace in Texas, but I'd rather have a guy like Pierre or Erstad who I know isn't going to destroy the clubhouse.

That said, if Everett is our only possibility and he doesn't have a problem playing CF, take him.

ilsox7
07-01-2003, 09:07 PM
I think when it comes down to it, Pierre isn't available and neither is Erstad. Or if they ate, it'd cost a lot. We'll see when/if this Everett deal goes down, but I can't imagine the Sox giving up much. They will pay for Everett's salary and that will hopefully be the biggest part of the deal.

1951Campbell
07-01-2003, 09:31 PM
Even in Boston, where he had his biggest meltdowns, there wasn't much negative talk from players.

That's because Jimy Williams was a fanatic about keeping things "in-house." Carl got in a fistfight with noted hothead Darren Lewis. Also, considering the Sox' media problems, it probably isn't good that Carl was caught on tape saying "I'm not talking to anyone on the Globe, so you can go tell your curly-headed boyfriend Shaunessy [that's noted Curse of the Bambino pimp Dan Shaunessy] to go #$^% himself."

I'm just saying let's just hold our breaths and hope for the best if he comes here.

WhiteSox = Life
07-01-2003, 09:40 PM
Everett is no problem in the clubhouse, he's just bizarre. He doesn't believe man actually landed on the moon. Seriously.

That's not bizarre, it's the truth... :o:

:: Twilight Zone Music ::

fquaye149
07-01-2003, 10:07 PM
i believe that half-heartedly as well. no lie

wirtzbeer55
07-01-2003, 10:09 PM
Could it be that KW strikes twice in one day? CE does not take a lot of off days...

rmusacch
07-01-2003, 10:21 PM
Don't know if this means anything but Carl Everett is not in the Rangers lineup tonight.

whitesoxwilkes
07-01-2003, 10:31 PM
I just caught a blurb on BBTN during a break in the Sox game where they were talking about the Sox getting Everett..no details though and nothing on the crawl at the bottom of the screen though.