PDA

View Full Version : Gammons says Sox "could get a fairly big bat tonight"

ChiSox7
07-01-2003, 05:44 PM
On ESPNEWS right now. Wouldn't say who it is, but says that it could go down tonight, and might be a pretty big bat? I'm not sure Pierre fits in that category... thoughts?

Procol Harum
07-01-2003, 05:45 PM
One of Gammon's sources must've seen Kenny Williams looking through the bat rack at Sportmart....

ilsox7
07-01-2003, 05:46 PM
Can you say Juan Gonzalez? Who else is out there?

Hullett_Fan
07-01-2003, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by ChiSox7
On ESPNEWS right now. Wouldn't say who it is, but says that it could go down tonight, and might be a pretty big bat? I'm not sure Pierre fits in that category... thoughts?

WOW!!! BIG BAT??? That would be great.

Lowell?? Beltran?? Delgado???? :D:

Unregistered
07-01-2003, 05:47 PM
J.D. Drew? :o:

gosox41
07-01-2003, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by ilsox7
Can you say Juan Gonzalez? Who else is out there?

It's not Juan. Where are you going to put him? Plus they're not picking up his remaining $6 mill.

Maybe Carl Everett. Or maybe Gammons has been napping all afternoon and didn't realize the "fairly big bat" may be Alomar.

Bob

gosox41
07-01-2003, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Unregistered
J.D. Drew? :o:

He's hurt. Don't trade for damaged goods. Once he gets healthy he has a history of getting hurt again.

Bob

Scotty347
I just saw it on ESPN also. Very interesting. Take it for what its worth, but he said it very "matter of factly", as if the deal was already done.

All he said was they were getting "a bat" tonight.

The speculation begins. This could get very exciting. I'm going to the game tomorrow, I can't wait.

(Of course Gammons could be full of crap)

Irishsox1
What about Greg Luzinski?....Are we talking that big? or are we talking super big, like Rosie O'Donnell in A League of Their Own?

thecell
07-01-2003, 05:50 PM
Jose Hernandez?

Gumshoe
STOP DEALING KENNY< PLEEEEEZ

g

gosox41
Originally posted by Procol Harum
One of Gammon's sources must've seen Kenny Williams looking through the bat rack at Sportmart....

:KW
I can't decide between the 40oz Easton or the 38oz Louisville Slugger.

A.T. Money
07-01-2003, 05:51 PM
This is getting very exciting!!!

:bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

A.T. Money
07-01-2003, 05:52 PM
Maybe it's Brian Giles???

TheRockinMT
07-01-2003, 05:52 PM
Kenny Willaims when asked about Jimenez made the statement that a roster move was imminent. That could mean another trade being made with someone on the roster being involved. Let's wait and see.

Foulke You
07-01-2003, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by SoxDemon
Maybe it's Brian Giles???

Be still my beating heart. I never thought Robbie would be in a Sox uni, why the heck not? Dream big!!

Randar68
07-01-2003, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
Be still my beating heart. I never thought Robbie would be in a Sox uni, why the heck not? Dream big!!

Nobody has mentioned......... Ken Griffey, Jr.

gosox41
07-01-2003, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by TheRockinMT
Kenny Willaims when asked about Jimenez made the statement that a roster move was imminent. That could mean another trade being made with someone on the roster being involved. Let's wait and see.

A roster move has to be imminent if you want to see Alomar in the lineup tomorrow.

Bob

ilsox7
07-01-2003, 05:56 PM

Junior would be GREAT (I can't wait for all of the abuse I'm gonna take for this one). He's already had his injury this year and I think is gonna have a ocuple of huge years. OK, done dreaming for now...

A.T. Money
07-01-2003, 05:56 PM
Isn't Brian Giles a natural center fielder?

A.T. Money
07-01-2003, 05:57 PM
Junior would be GREAT (I can't wait for all of the abuse I'm gonna take for this one). He's already had his injury this year and I think is gonna have a ocuple of huge years. OK, done dreaming for now...

Junior is another guy who probably needs a change of scenary. Get him back in the AL and you may see the Griffey of old.

gosox41
07-01-2003, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

Unlesss the Reds give him away for very little AND promise to pick up the rest of his contract, this is what I think of Ken Griffey JR:

:chunks

It's unfortunate but he is an injury waiting to happen and will tie up the Sox payroll for years to come while spending a good portion of that time on the DL.

Bob

Randar68
07-01-2003, 06:00 PM
Isn't Brian Giles a natural center fielder?

He'd be a defensive upgrade from Harris and Rowand, but that doesn't say a whole lot. At this point in his career, IMO, he is not a "natural" CF'er, although he can play it in a pinch.

I think Giles and Griffey are pipedreams, but who knows, if Jerry suddenly decided to "GO for it now", I suppose it isn't out of the question.

A.T. Money
07-01-2003, 06:02 PM
Who would you rather see? Giles, or Griffey?

I think I'd rather see Giles.

Hullett_Fan
07-01-2003, 06:03 PM

Giles...no doubt about it!

Tragg
07-01-2003, 06:03 PM
We don't need a slugger; we don't need a big name; we don't need someone else we "hope" will revert to form from 2 years ago (we just got one of those).

We just need a competent hitter - someone to get on base and a lot.

And IF we have to give up a lot, make sure it's a real solution - someone who can play CF for years to come.

gosox41
07-01-2003, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by Hullett_Fan
Giles...no doubt about it!

Doesn't he have a no trade clause that restricts him from being traded to the Sox.

Bob

Unregistered
Imagine Griffey, Thomas, Roberto & Sandy Alomar... we'd be like a reunion of the 1996 AL All-Star team. Where's Cal Ripken?

Randar68
Originally posted by Tragg
We don't need a slugger; we don't need a big name; we don't need someone else we "hope" will revert to form from 2 years ago (we just got one of those).

And IF we have to give up a lot, make sure it's a real solution - someone who can play CF for years to come.

Hell, anyone look at Giles' OBP?

The man get's on as much as Frank and isn't a total base-clogger.

Check this out:

1) Alomar
2) Giles
3) Thomas
4) Maggs
5) CLee
6) Jose
7) Dog-bag/Konerko platoon
8) Crede
9) Olivo/Alomar

DAMN!

ilsox7
07-01-2003, 06:08 PM
Maybe we are gonna revisit the Erstad situation.

Hullett_Fan
07-01-2003, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
Doesn't he have a no trade clause that restricts him from being traded to the Sox.

Bob

Yep. I read about that when we picked up Ritchie

But since he's been stuck in Pitt 2 years since that was last brought up....maybe he'll have a change of heart :D:

MarkEdward
07-01-2003, 06:09 PM

Bob

You're correct. From what I remember, Giles will allow a trade to Atlanta (to play with his brother) or a west coast team.

By the way, I don't think Littlefield is too willing to give up Giles.

Randar68
07-01-2003, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
You're correct. From what I remember, Giles will allow a trade to Atlanta (to play with his brother) or a west coast team.

By the way, I don't think Littlefield is too willing to give up Giles.

That is true. However, Giles is signed for a couple more years at a pretty bargain price. He is one of a few players in MLB I'd be willing to trade LTP for... in a heartbeat.

gosox41
07-01-2003, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by Tragg

Well said. I'm sick of getting guys in the twilight of their careers hoping to squeeze one more year out of them:

Alomar
D. Wells
Chris Sabo
Danny Tartabull
Jose Canseco
the RHP the Sox got in 2000 for about 3 starts
John Kruk

Who else am I forgetting?

Bob

MarkEdward
07-01-2003, 06:14 PM
That is true. However, Giles is signed for a couple more years at a pretty bargain price. He is one of a few players in MLB I'd be willing to trade LTP for... in a heartbeat.

We'd have to give up much more than Borchard... think LTP, Reed, and Honel. At the least. Giles is a deity in Pittsburgh. Littlefield understands that, and he won't let Giles go so easily.

Konerkoholic
07-01-2003, 06:15 PM
I think Erstad could be the guy...Anaheim's out of the race for sure, they may want to go with th cheaper DaVanon. Erstad is great in CF and he's a better bat than the guys we have.

gosox41
07-01-2003, 06:15 PM
Maybe we are gonna revisit the Erstad situation.

I hope not.

Bob

B. Diddy
07-01-2003, 06:16 PM

I agree, although I'd be happy to have either of them. I'd like Beltran as well, although I don't see KC dealing him just yet... they are only half a game out. And Juan Gone... wow... that'd kick ass. Erstad excites me less but he's still a major upgrade over what we currently have.

This is fantastic. I don't care what we have to give up... it's either win now or rebuild for the next three years.

pudge
This is getting very exciting!!!

:bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

these fricking bananas are freaking me out man! maybe we can start the dancing banana mascot like the rally monkey last year?? everyone start bringing dancing bananas to the game!

thecell
the RHP the Sox got in 2000 for about 3 starts

Ken Hill

gosox41
07-01-2003, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by thecell
Ken Hill

Thanks. I successfully blocked his name out of my mind because he was so lousy.

I also forgot:
Dave Stieb
Doug Drebeck

Randar68
07-01-2003, 06:19 PM
Maybe They are looking at Ivan Rodriguez?

I am just throwing out possibility here. Pudge will be a FA after this year, and he could DH when not catching and sharing time behind the plate with Olivo (defeats the Alomar brothers theme, though)

Randar68
07-01-2003, 06:19 PM

I also forgot:
Dave Stieb
Doug Drebeck

Don't forget Belcher a ways back.

Hullett_Fan
07-01-2003, 06:20 PM
Don't forget Belcher a ways back.

Heck, don't forget Steve Carlton and George Foster in '87!!!

:D:

MarkEdward
07-01-2003, 06:21 PM

I am just throwing out possibility here. Pudge will be a FA after this year, and he could DH when not catching and sharing time behind the plate with Olivo (defeats the Alomar brothers theme, though)

Doesn't he also have a no-trade clause?

There's another Marlins' catcher I'd love to have, and he's much cheaper...

gosox41
07-01-2003, 06:23 PM

That will piss Roberto and Sandy off and I don't want to see this team carry 3 catchers.

Bob

gosox41
07-01-2003, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by Hullett_Fan
Heck, don't forget Steve Carlton and George Foster in '87!!!

:D:

Would you throw Jerry Koosman on that list? He's debatable. I don't put Seaver on their because he was still effective.

Steve Sax is another one.

joecrede
07-01-2003, 06:25 PM
I heard on ESPN-1000 that the Marlins announced today that they will not trade Lowell this year and they hope to sign him to a long-term deal.

If this is the case they will probably be forced to deal Pierre.

gosox41
07-01-2003, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
Doesn't he also have a no-trade clause?

There's another Marlins' catcher I'd love to have, and he's much cheaper...

I'll bite since I'm to lazy to look up the Marlins roster. Who?

thecell
07-01-2003, 06:26 PM
Would you throw Jerry Koosman on that list? He's debatable. I don't put Seaver on their because he was still effective.

Baines in 2000

Hullett_Fan
07-01-2003, 06:28 PM

Sax definitely makes list.

Koosman was still effective (big part of turnaround in '83).

Hullett_Fan
07-01-2003, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
I heard on ESPN-1000 that the Marlins announced today that they will not trade Lowell this year and they hope to sign him to a long-term deal.

If this is the case they will probably be forced to deal Pierre.

Thought that when reading the Lowell article...and if Boston Gammons says "big" deal happening tonight...the timing of the Lowell announcement makes sense

MarkEdward
07-01-2003, 06:29 PM
I'll bite since I'm to lazy to look up the Marlins roster. Who?

Ramon Castro.

Probably wouldn't cost us more than a PTBNL, too.

gosox41
07-01-2003, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by thecell
Baines in 2000

There's also Sandy Alomar (twice.) He may be a good leader, but his best days are behind him.

Kenny Lofton makes the list in my mind. One good month then nothing.

Bob

LuvSox
07-01-2003, 06:46 PM
The "big bat" is Dave Kingman (http://www.davekingman.com) :D:

soxrme
07-01-2003, 06:50 PM
You guys forgot this is Gammons rumor, so it has to be that the hot weather has thawed out the one and only TED WILLIAMS, who dead is hitting higher than Konerko.

Risk
07-01-2003, 06:54 PM
Could Sexson possibly be on the trading block? :?:

or

Erstad? :?:

or

is Giles really going to come to the South Side? :?:

I haven't been this excited since 2000. :smile: :D: :gulp:

Risk

FarWestChicago
07-01-2003, 06:55 PM

I also forgot:
Dave Stieb
Doug Drebeck :valet

Damn! And I have my own tag...

longshot7
07-01-2003, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by Konerkoholic
I think Erstad could be the guy...Anaheim's out of the race for sure, they may want to go with th cheaper DaVanon. Erstad is great in CF and he's a better bat than the guys we have.

Keep dreaming... The Angels are not trading Erstad. not this soon after being their WS hero.

and that Canseco move was a good one. Frank was out for the season.

Saracen
07-01-2003, 07:08 PM
And Juan Gone... wow... that'd kick ass. Erstad excites me less but he's still a major upgrade over what we currently have.

Take it from someone living in Dallas the last 10 years. Juan is a dog with a capital D. I have never seen a ballplayer so lazy, so whiny and so disruptive to a clubhouse. That's not even mentioning the 5 divorces and drug dealers for whom the Rangers have had to hire extra security to keep out of the locker room.

maurice
07-01-2003, 07:11 PM
It's not Juan. Where are you going to put him? Plus they're not picking up his remaining $6 mill.

Gonzalez would DH and bat fifth. That's a huge upgrade over Konerko and Daubach. He also could rotate in LF and RF on occasion with CLee and Maggs. Perhaps KW can get Texas to eat 50% or more of his remaining contract. He might waive his no-trade clause for the Sox.

Pierre would be great also. Giles is a pipedream. Griffey's a dog (McGriff?). I'm not interested in any of the other players named.

maurice
07-01-2003, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Saracen
Take it from someone living in Dallas the last 10 years. Juan is a dog with a capital D. I have never seen a ballplayer so lazy, so whiny and so disruptive to a clubhouse.

Sounds like he'd fit right in, then.

Saracen
07-01-2003, 07:14 PM
Griffey's a dog (McGriff?). I'm not interested in any of the other players named.
How can you say this and yet tout Juan Gonzalez? This is the guy who wouldn't play in the Hall of Fame game because his pants didn't fit right! This is the guy who is hurt every 2 weeks! This is the guy who wouldn't accept a trade to the Yankees because he didn't want to be in the spotlight!

Oh my god, I have never seen such a dog. I agree with you on Griffey, but Juan is 100 times worse.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-01-2003, 07:29 PM
Has Peter Gammons ever correctly predicted a trade in his entire life?

:boston
"It's hard to keep up on the wider baseball world while sucking up to everyone in the A.L. East."

ilsox7
07-01-2003, 07:32 PM
Has Peter Gammons ever correctly predicted a trade in his entire life?

Well, from what I've read he was pretty much right on with this Alomar situation. He's looking for a 2 trade streak :)

Lip Man 1
07-01-2003, 08:03 PM
A few points:

Danny Tartabull drove in 98 RBI's in his one year with the Sox

Jerry Koosman went 23-18 with 10 saves in 2 1/4 seasons.

Tom Seaver won 32 games with an ERA of around 3 in two years with the Sox.

If those were "dogs" may we get many more of them!

Lip

Saracen
07-01-2003, 08:04 PM
George Bell too.

1951Campbell
07-01-2003, 09:42 PM
"It's hard to keep up on the wider baseball world while sucking up to everyone in the A.L. East."

"I just want to be loved, is that so wroooooong?"

MisterB
07-01-2003, 10:30 PM
According to Baseball Tonight, The Everett deal is done. Didn't catch any specifics yet.

StillMissOzzie
07-02-2003, 03:08 AM
As painful as this is to admit, Boston seems to have been right on with BOTH of the trades the Sox made in the last 24 hours now. He was right on the money with the Alomar trade - as verified by the interview w/ the Mets GM, he had all of the interested parties correct, had Alomar to be traded sooner rather than later (He said on Monday that a deal by the end of the week...).
He also said a big bat was coming, and Carl Everett fills that bill.

:gulp:

"Hey, even a blind dog finds a bone once in a while"

gosox41
07-02-2003, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
A few points:

Danny Tartabull drove in 98 RBI's in his one year with the Sox

Jerry Koosman went 23-18 with 10 saves in 2 1/4 seasons.

Tom Seaver won 32 games with an ERA of around 3 in two years with the Sox.

If those were "dogs" may we get many more of them!

Lip

I never saw Seaver as a dog. I was iffy on Koosman. But Tartabull is a dog. If I remember correctly he got hot the second half to inflate his numbers because he was a free agent at the end of the season.

I just noticed there is a trend among the Sox to try to squeeze out one more year on an old/injured player who while still somewhat effective, are not as good as they were.

Bob