PDA

View Full Version : KW press conference

FJA
07-01-2003, 04:43 PM
KW press conference ... he says he has one more thing he wants to get done BEFORE the all-star break. I like the aggressiveness.

CHISOXFAN13
07-01-2003, 04:46 PM
Ponson anyone?

Randar68
07-01-2003, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by FJA
KW press conference ... he says he has one more thing he wants to get done BEFORE the all-star break. I like the aggressiveness.

PLEASE GET US JUAN PIERRE!

xil357
07-01-2003, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

I second the motion.

ilsox7
07-01-2003, 04:48 PM

Well, maybe I'm cynical but I don't see Pierre going anywhere. However, getting him would be like an ice cold beer on a 100 degree day.

gosox41
07-01-2003, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13
Ponson anyone?

Not Ponson. CF is the Sox biggest hole.

Bob

ssang
07-01-2003, 04:49 PM
Juan Pierre...BIYATCH!!!

Randar68
07-01-2003, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by ilsox7
Well, maybe I'm cynical but I don't see Pierre going anywhere. However, getting him would be like an ice cold beer on a 100 degree day.

Makes 5.7 million over next 2 seasons and has some additional incentives he could reach.

Marlins need to dump some salary to keep Lowell.

ilsox7
07-01-2003, 04:51 PM
Makes 5.7 million over next 2 seasons and has some additional incentives he could reach.

Very true. I just try and tell myself no way it can happen, and if it does it's happy happy joy joy time :gulp: :gulp:

And if it doesn't, well I wasn't expecting it to happen anyways!

Viva Magglio
07-01-2003, 04:52 PM
How about Carlos Beltrán? Probably too expensive, right?

NewyorkSoxFan
07-01-2003, 04:54 PM
Say what you will about KW, the guy is probably honest to a fault. An he really wants to build a winner. I know he has made some bonehead moves, but I would rather have that than Schu holding onto talent too long(Baldwin, Ruffcorn, etc) hoping they turn into stars. I hope this deal works for the team but for him as well, seems like a nice guy and he is trying to go for it.

NYSF

I don't have the dancing bananna, but my wife wants one,

Chisox353014
07-01-2003, 04:55 PM
What would it realistically take to get Pierre? I know it may depend some on whether Fla. moves Castillo or not, but what would the Sox have to give up to get him?

Unregistered
07-01-2003, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
How about Carlos Beltrán? Probably too expensive, right? It would be bad enough to the Royals "fanbase" to give up a player of Beltran's caliber while they are in (or 1/2 a game from) first place. But to give up Beltran to a division rival within striking distance would be franchise suicide and pretty unlikely, IMO.

Unregistered
07-01-2003, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by NewyorkSoxFan
I don't have the dancing bananna, but my wife wants one, Eh, it's too easy... :D:

ilsox7
07-01-2003, 05:00 PM
What would it realistically take to get Pierre? I know it may depend some on whether Fla. moves Castillo or not, but what would the Sox have to give up to get him?

Just a thought, but it could be a 3 team trade with the likes of DJ going to Houston, us getting Pierre, etc...

Still don't think it will happen, but hey, doesn't mean we can't be wishful!

joecrede
07-01-2003, 05:12 PM
KW was asked on ESPN-1000 if this other move he was working on is for pitching. His answer was no.

I'm thinking Singleton . . .

Tragg
07-01-2003, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13
Ponson anyone?

Let's hope not - our starting pitching's fine.

PLUS - 5th starters don't mean diddley once you're in the playoffs.

Tragg
07-01-2003, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
KW was asked on ESPN-1000 if this other move he was working on is for pitching. His answer was no.

And I'm thinking I want to throw up.

Gumshoe
07-01-2003, 05:15 PM
ANYONE. Let's just let the team play. They start playing well and we change the face of the team? Stupid. And KW + agressiveness = stupidity. No more deals, please, KW

PLEASE

Gumshoe

ps- bullpen is the only place we need any help. Stop talking about this dumb Pierre guy and Beltran. You are wasting your time.

sox_fan_forever
07-01-2003, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Gumshoe
ANYONE. Let's just let the team play. They start playing well and we change the face of the team? Stupid. And KW + agressiveness = stupidity. No more deals, please, KW

PLEASE

Gumshoe

ps- bullpen is the only place we need any help. Stop talking about this dumb Pierre guy and Beltran. You are wasting your time.

Um, this team still has holes. Those needs need to be addressed. They are playing well...this is the time to make it even better. Too many times in the past the Sox have done nothing to improve the team. I'm glad they are trying to do that now.

Hullett_Fan
07-01-2003, 05:19 PM

PLEASE

Gumshoe

Gum, I love reading your posts...*****!!!

This team has a glaring weakness in CF (and are fairly weak at 3B...but willing to let Crede play out of his funk).

They need to address CF now!!! Pierre, Beltran and yes, even Singleton would be an upgrade on Rowand, Harris and Rios.

Put Rowand and Harris on bench where they belong and dump Rios

ilsox7
07-01-2003, 05:21 PM

Any time you can improve a contending team, you do it. Just because we have been hot for 2 weeks doesn't mean nothing should be done. Doing nothing is about the only sure way to guarantee we'll be watching the Twins in October. And I wouldn't call saying goodbye to DJ and Rowand as "changing the face of the team." In fact, it allows Willie to be a pinch runner (his best role) and Rowand to be a 4th outfielder (his natural role).

cornball
07-01-2003, 05:25 PM

PLEASE

Gumshoe

This team needs alot if it is to succeed in the playoffs (assuming they make it). The addition of Robbie Alomar help defense, team speed, knowledge of the game, more balance in the lineup......once again, right or wrong you have to love the fact that KW has guts and is going for it now despite Reinsdorf holding his wallet.

Tragg
07-01-2003, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by cornball
once again, right or wrong you have to love the fact that KW has guts and is going for it now despite Reinsdorf holding his wallet.
Our real weakness is hitting; that's what i'd like to see KW concentrate on. He's not going to get us a grade A CF in midseason - he can try to do that in the offseason. What he could do is something for our O, the weakspot on this team. so when I hear "singleton" I just want to shudder. It's sort of like getting alomar - doesn't really address the issue.

SoxOnTop
07-01-2003, 05:57 PM
I agree with Gummy. This team is starting to turn around and for those of you who refuse to believe their eyes, Rowand is playing some clutch baseball. He's proven that he can hit .280 when given solid playing time and he is healthy. Just look to the second half of last year. Plus he's adequate in center. We've been shuffling people in and out of this team the last 3 years. It's time to hold our ground and let our chemistry develop.

Alomar is huge in solidifying the infield. Lets build off that. Just get a stud into the pen and take care of business!!!

gosox41
07-01-2003, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by joecrede

I certainly don't consider him a big bat.

Bob

ilsox7
07-01-2003, 06:02 PM
Plus he's adequate in center.
Adequate players don't win championships. If the opportunity to upgrade presents itself, you do it.

SoxOnTop
07-01-2003, 06:10 PM
If the opportunity to upgrade presents itself, you do it.

I dissagree. It is impossible for KW to make 2 solid moves in a row.

Plus, Rowand hustles is butt off every day and is willing to run through a wall for this team. There is something to be said for character and heart and this kid brings it to the park every day.

Hullett_Fan
07-01-2003, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by SoxOnTop
Rowand hustles is butt off every day and is willing to run through a wall for this team. There is something to be said for character and heart and this kid brings it to the park every day.

But what this team needs is TALENT in CF (imo) and Rowand's lacking in that dept.

Randar68
07-01-2003, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by SoxOnTop
Plus, Rowand hustles is butt off every day and is willing to run through a wall for this team. There is something to be said for character and heart and this kid brings it to the park every day.

He doesn't run into the wall because he is willing, it's because he has no idea where he is.

B. Diddy
07-01-2003, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by Tragg
Let's hope not - our starting pitching's fine.

PLUS - 5th starters don't mean diddley once you're in the playoffs.

[In Jim Mora's voice]: PLAYOFFS?!? PLAYOFFS?!!!!

Dude, we're still 3 1/2 games out of first and have more than half a season left to play! Do you think Loaiza is going to run away with the AL Cy Young or do you think that he might have a more mediocre second half? My money's on the latter. Are you confident that Garland has finally turned the corner? I'm not.

If they have the opportunity to pick up another QUALITY starting pitcher, they'd be wise to do that. You can never have too many quality starters.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-01-2003, 07:32 PM
This is not the time to fret over the other missing parts in the Sox arsenal. The Sox made a move in the right direction, and that ought to be good enough. They need to keep making moves, and stop inventing excuses for why they don't make them. We as fans can be supportive of this effort.

<steps off soapbox>