PDA

View Full Version : Holy $#*% they're going for it!

Foulke You
07-01-2003, 04:39 PM
The team is on a roll going into July knocking on the door of the AL Central Lead ironic that it is the exact same deficit they faced back in '97 (3 1/2 games) but instead of helping out teams in the race and white flagging, we add a 12 time all star, gold glove 2B to the team to replace our bone headed, bad baserunning 2B for the stretch drive and we only had to part with one good prospect! Alomar makes us much stronger up the middle and gives us another potent stick in an awakening offense.

Congrats KW. You made this Sox fan's day! I am not going to shed one tear about losing a few prospects. This team is in it to win THIS year which is something I'm going to relish while it is here.

ilsox7
07-01-2003, 04:42 PM
Alomar makes us much stronger up the middle and gives us another potent stick in an awakening offense.

I totally agree. And if you look at this team, they are built for the playoffs. Postseason games are decided mostly by pitching and defense. Right now, with the Sox pitching, you have to think we have a shot IF we can get there. I think Alomar not only helps us get there, but gives us a better chance of advancing. I'm glad to see this move done EARLY. Our July schedule is weak and we need to clean up. Gotta get to .500 first, then string together 6 or 7 wins in a row. Good day to be a Sox fan.

xil357
07-01-2003, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by ilsox7
I totally agree. And if you look at this team, they are built for the playoffs. Postseason games are decided mostly by pitching and defense. Right now, with the Sox pitching, you have to think we have a shot IF we can get there. I think Alomar not only helps us get there, but gives us a better chance of advancing. I'm glad to see this move done EARLY. Our July schedule is weak and we need to clean up. Gotta get to .500 first, then string together 6 or 7 wins in a row. Good day to be a Sox fan.

Agreed on the pitching and defense thing, but the defense, even with Alomar, is still suspect up the middle with Valentin at SS and Harris/Rowand in CF. (The Sox also are exceedingly average on defense at LF, 1B and RF). If they make a move for Juan Pierre then they should be able to live with Valentin at SS. Pierre would solve the hole in the leadoff spot. Daubach should DH with Frank at 1B for the rest of the season.

ilsox7
07-01-2003, 04:54 PM
but the defense, even with Alomar, is still suspect up the middle with Valentin at SS and Harris/Rowand in CF.

I totally agree. This is a good step though at filling one glaring hole up the middle. But yes, a solid guy in CF would be so very nice.

Foulke You
07-01-2003, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by xil357
[B]Agreed on the pitching and defense thing, but the defense, even with Alomar, is still suspect up the middle with Valentin at SS and Harris/Rowand in CF. B]

I think people are going to be surprised how good a DP combo Robbie Alomar and Jose Valentin are going to make. Now that Jose has lost "brainless wonder" DP partner at 2B in Jimenez he can go back to turning the DPs which is something he has always done well. Remember that Jose and Ray Ray were the best DP duo in the AL a few years ago. And we all know, DPs are a pitchers best friend. You won't see Robbie bobbling a ball on a routine double play or throwing the ball into the outfield. Keeping mental errors to a minimum will do wonders for this team's playoff chances.

SoxOnTop
07-01-2003, 06:35 PM
. (The Sox also are exceedingly average on defense at LF, 1B and RF).

Mag's is "exceedingly average" defensively?!?!?!?!

Why don't you just add in catcher and 3rd to that list. And while we're at it I think we should pick up a couple better feilding starting pitchers as well. I think that would significantly improve this team.