PDA

View Full Version : advice on buying All-Star tickets?

cheeses_h_rice
07-01-2003, 04:39 PM
I would really like to see the AS game at the Cell, no matter where I was sitting. Prices on ticket brokers' websites like stubhub.com start at $295 apiece for the upper reaches of the upper deck, which is just a tad too rich for my tastes.

Given the sheer number of high-priced tickets available via brokers online, I have a feeling that if I showed up outside the park on the night of the game, I could probably end up getting in for about $150 apiece, assuming I was willing to "play chicken" with the street vendors and wait right until game time to buy them.

So I guess I have 2 questions concerning this strategy:

1. Has anyone tried this outside a high-demand game like the AS game or World Series?

2. Is there a big risk of buying fake tickets, assuming I can reasonably judge the character of the street vendor?

(and 3. Is there another possible way to get 'em before the game without using brokers?)

mandmandm
07-01-2003, 04:41 PM
I think the brokers are pretty stocked and a bunch of lottery winners thought they were going to make a fortune with the high prices on stubhub. I think if you hold out and wonder the lot you might get lucky.

ilsox7
07-01-2003, 04:46 PM
I've been to 4 out of the last 5 all-star games and a few world series games. Although I have never bought outside of the stadium, I have seen a lot of people do so. Generally, ticket prices are pretty astronomical. In fact, $295 is by far the cheapest I have heard of for an all-star ticket. In the last few years, you were talking $350ish minimum, in my experience.

Also, if you want to go to the work-out day (aka home run derby), that adds quite an expense onto the package.

As for showing up game night and getting them for $150? It might be possible, however you probably wouldn't be able to do that until right before the first pitch. And in my experience, one of the best parts about the all-star game are the festivities before the game and just being able to walk around the park 90 minutes before game time seeing all of the world's best players take BP and whatnot.

cheeses_h_rice
07-01-2003, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by ilsox7
I've been to 4 out of the last 5 all-star games and a few world series games. Although I have never bought outside of the stadium, I have seen a lot of people do so. Generally, ticket prices are pretty astronomical. In fact, $295 is by far the cheapest I have heard of for an all-star ticket. In the last few years, you were talking $350ish minimum, in my experience.

Also, if you want to go to the work-out day (aka home run derby), that adds quite an expense onto the package.

As for showing up game night and getting them for $150? It might be possible, however you probably wouldn't be able to do that until right before the first pitch. And in my experience, one of the best parts about the all-star game are the festivities before the game and just being able to walk around the park 90 minutes before game time seeing all of the world's best players take BP and whatnot.

The $295 tickets were for row 29, so they weren't exactly decent seats, despite being more or less behind home plate. I've never sat that high up at the Cell so I can't really say if they'd be worth it.

I am tempted, however, to buy 4 of the above seats + tickets for the other AS events for $399 apiece and just chalk it up as a once-in-a-lifetime expense, forget about the price and just try to enjoy myself. Also, treat some others to a nice time.

Hmmm...........what to do, what to do.

Gumshoe
07-01-2003, 05:12 PM
You'll miss the introductions, but would you pay 200+ for introductions? Pshhh.

After the first half inning, they'll go for face value at worst. I've spoken with a few guys who have been to the last 2 all star games and they said this was the case. I wouldn't mind popping for $150 to see the game after the first inning, in the bleachers or outfield. I'd hold out and try to get tix as the game nears. People will be getting rid of them or they'll be holding REAL expensive souvenirs ... stupid brokers

Gumshoe

ilsox7
07-01-2003, 05:16 PM
It really is a great experience. I'll never forget being at Fenway and watching Big Mac launch those bombs over the Monster in the Derby (with a broken bat!). Then sitting in the bleachers for the game...truly amazing. Or being in Colorado and having Big Mac's 500+ foot blast in the derby land a couple feet from me. Honestly, the game itself kinda drags on (maybe not this year), but the festivites surrounding the game make it a fun time.

Personally I think it is worth it and am upset I cannot be there this year.

ilsox7
07-01-2003, 05:18 PM
You'll miss the introductions, but would you pay 200+ for introductions? Pshhh.

Well, it's all personal preference, but the couple hours before the game really add a lot to the experience. Seeing BP and whatnot is a fun fun time.