PDA

View Full Version : Why Was Durham and his .390 OBP....

Tragg
07-01-2003, 02:11 PM
worth zero prospects (remember Kenny telling us how it was impossible to dump him) but Alomar with his 2 homers and .336 OBP is worth 2 prospects.

Does anyone know?

kermittheefrog
07-01-2003, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Tragg
worth zero prospects (remember Kenny telling us how it was impossible to dump him) but Alomar with his 2 homers and .336 OBP is worth 2 prospects.

Does anyone know?

Because when Durham was traded there was a strong possiblity draft pick conpensation for free agents would be eliminated. We know compensation is still around so we know we'll get draft picks to replace the prospects we lost. Most likely the picks we get will become better spects than Almonte and Ring. Hopefully better major leaguers too.

Irishsox1
07-01-2003, 02:18 PM
Everyone knew whomever Durham was traded to, he wasn't going to sign with them. As it turned out the A' got him, then he signs with the Giants. Second, Durham is weak with the glove up the middle. Third, Durham is known to go through prolonged slumps that kill the top of the batting order.

Then, if you still want to compare him to R. Alomar, take a look at Robbie's reputation. Robbie is the 12 time all-star while Ray-Ray is a 2 time all-star.

gosox41
07-01-2003, 02:18 PM

Does anyone know?

Because KW is a dope. He let everyone know the Sox needed to dump salary. As it was, the Sox split the difference for Ray and only saved $1 mill. on the trade.

Memo to KW: When giving up money and an All Star, it's a good idea to get at least one type A prospect in return/

Bob

Hangar18
07-01-2003, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Because when Durham was traded there was a strong possiblity draft pick conpensation for free agents would be eliminated. We know compensation is still around so we know we'll get draft picks to replace the prospects we lost. Most likely the picks we get will become better spects than Almonte and Ring. Hopefully better major leaguers too.

DaDawg pointed this out earlier. BUT, I just thought of something, suppose NOONE SIGNS ALOMAR next year?

B. Diddy
07-01-2003, 02:20 PM

Does anyone know?

Maybe because Durham cost $7 million and Alomar was free? The prospects are irrelevant because, if we don't win this year, JR will slash the payroll in half and try to rebuild from scratch (again).

It's time to go for broke, folks. Let's do this...

gosox41
07-01-2003, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Irishsox1
Everyone knew whomever Durham was traded to, he wasn't going to sign with them. As it turned out the A' got him, then he signs with the Giants. Second, Durham is weak with the glove up the middle. Third, Durham is known to go through prolonged slumps that kill the top of the batting order.

Then, if you still want to compare him to R. Alomar, take a look at Robbie's reputation. Robbie is the 12 time all-star while Ray-Ray is a 2 time all-star.

I'll take Ray's last season and a half over Roberto's.

Until Roberto proves he still has some gas left in the tank, I have my doubts. Do the Soxreally need a guy to hit .260 and put up Jimenez type numbers. The Sox are betting he's not washed up. The last season and a half for him makes me wonder.

Bob

Tragg
07-01-2003, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by B. Diddy
Maybe because Durham cost $7 million and Alomar was free?
He didn't cost that - We picked up most of his salary.
Getting an alomar isn't going for broke, imo.

B. Diddy
07-01-2003, 02:39 PM
He didn't cost that - We picked up most of his salary.
Getting an alomar isn't going for broke, imo.

Back in 2002, yes. If we had kept him and wanted him to re-sign with us, it would've cost us about that much. His first year salary (including signing bonus) with the Giants is $7.6 million. I'm glad we spent the money on Colon instead. The Giants are idiots for paying that much for a #2 hitter who has a career .350 OBP and is a mediocre fielder.

Going for broke is saying to hell with your prospects and trying to win now, which is what they're doing.

Juan Pizarro
07-01-2003, 02:50 PM
Almonte is never going to amount to anything. He's 26 and headed nowhere.

Ring is the key, and that's not such a bad chip to give up for a shot at the title.

Lip Man 1
07-01-2003, 03:40 PM
Based on Durham's off season remarks about Williams, the two didn't get along. Durham obviously pissed Kenny off. The trouble was Kenny let his dealings with Durham get personal instead of only business. (Sounds like something out of The Godfather but true...)

Lip

doublem23
07-01-2003, 03:46 PM
Ring was the only decent prospect the Sox gave up for him, so it's not that bleak.

voodoochile
07-01-2003, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
DaDawg pointed this out earlier. BUT, I just thought of something, suppose NOONE SIGNS ALOMAR next year?

Then KW can offer him a minor league deal and a chance to make the team...

Tragg
07-01-2003, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Because when Durham was traded there was a strong possiblity draft pick conpensation for free agents would be eliminated. We know compensation is still around so we know we'll get draft picks to replace the prospects we lost.

What kind of draft picks will we get when we don't re-sign alomar?

gosox41
07-01-2003, 05:42 PM
What kind of draft picks will we get when we don't re-sign alomar?

I believe it depends on how well he does and when he signs. If he signs with a team that already gave up their first round pick, then the Sox get the team's second round pick. I think if Alomar is a Type A free agent the Sox will get a sandwich pick plus another pick.

Bob

Tragg
07-01-2003, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
I believe it depends on how well he does and when he signs. If he signs with a team that already gave up their first round pick, then the Sox get the team's second round pick. I think if Alomar is a Type A free agent the Sox will get a sandwich pick plus another pick.

Bob

Thanks - I feel better.
I can't stand alomar, but at least we didn't give up too much.

kermittheefrog
07-01-2003, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by gosox41

Bob

Alomar will be a Type A free agent. Pretty much the only significant qualifier to being a type A free agent is that you play everyday. Other things don't play a big part in free agent rankings until you get a team that signs multiple type A free agents.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-01-2003, 06:39 PM
I'm not sure the Sox would seriously attempt to use Jiminez at third base.

:crede
<whew>

Instead, this Alomar deal might be the end of the Jiminez era at Sox Park. He may have worn out his welcome.